• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's "Free To Play" Dota 2 Documentary [Out Now]

OUT NOW

The Free to Play Competitor's Pack will also be available for purchase on Steam and the Dota 2 Store on March 19th, 2014. 25% of the sales will be distributed to the players featured in the film as well as the contributors. The Free to Play Pack will include the following:

Item_sets_promo.png

- Fear's Sven Set - Created by Jeremy Klein, Ziedrich
- hyhy's Doom Set - Created by Vermillion Wlad
- Dendi’s Pudge Set – Created by Danidem, Bronto ϟ Thunder
- Free to Play Wards – Created by Valve
- Free to Play HUD – Created by Valve
- Free to Play Courier – Created by Valve

Yes the movie is free to watch. You only pay if you want the dota items.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-RKqGaNq-Y
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FreeToPlayMovie

Free to Play is a feature-length documentary that follows three professional gamers from around the world as they compete for a million dollar prize in the first Dota 2 International Tournament. In recent years, e-sports has surged in popularity to become one of the most widely-practiced forms of competitive sport today. A million dollar tournament changed the landscape of the gaming world and for those elite players at the top of their craft, nothing would ever be the same again. Produced by Valve, the film documents the challenges and sacrifices required of players to compete at the highest level.

About the players:
Dendi: Born in L’viv, Ukraine, Dendi began playing video games at a young age after his older brother received a PC from their grandmother. As he had with his other early interests in life, music and dancing, Dendi picked up games very quickly and was soon excelling far beyond his age bracket. The prodigious dexterity earned through long hours of piano study was soon put to use in local gaming tournaments where he earned a reputation as a dominant and creative competitor. Though he was successful at other games, he knew he found his calling when he stumbled upon Dota.

HYHY: If you’ve followed the development of Singaporian Dota, then Benedict “HyHy” Lim is a name that is familiar to you. Born in Singapore on 1990, HyHy’s rise to prominence began when he and teammates represented Singapore in the 2007 Asian Cyber Games. The following year, he was victorious in the Electronic Sports World Cup. Since then his body of work has become a pillar in the Dota 2 community. Never one to shy away from controversy, HyHy speaks his mind, and has made a name for himself as one of professional gaming’s most driven and versatile players. 

Fear: Arguably among the most formidable Dota 2 players to ever come out of the Western Hemisphere, Clinton “Fear” Loomis, has never had an easy path in front of him. Ever the underdog, he’s used a balance of raw skill and hard-earned experience to overcome the isolation that US players often face when they compete at the highest level. Born 1988, his work ethic and dedication have taken him from Medford, Oregon to Europe, to China, and finally to the Dota 2 International, the tournament with the largest prize pool in the history of video games

Thanks to Nabs for practically making this thread for me.

blamite

Have they said how much the version with the Dota items will cost? I don't play but I'd definitely be willing to drop a few bucks on this and give the items to a friend, if the price is right.

Of course, there are trading cards.

Looks like they updated the models in the video. The preview from that concert after TI3 had outdated models for many of the heroes.

Curious if we'll see some other updated models in the video not yet released (or will be by that time)

You think they'll cover Hyhy's LoL stint?
I dunno. He just came back like what a month ago? I wouldn't be surprised if it ended with "Hyhy has left Dota to join a professional LoL team." when they do the documentary this is where they were after this thingy.

With such title I'd expect something more... about the game itself.

May be good anyway, though.
I dunno how it will be balancing a lot of that stuff. We'll have to wait and see.

I tried to put Dota 2/esports in the title but I was too late to edit it.

Artanisix

Looks like they updated the models in the video. The preview from that concert after TI3 had outdated models for many of the heroes.

Curious if we'll see some other updated models in the video not yet released (or will be by that time)

Always count on ballad for the whacky predictions 8)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Valve has developed such a great model, releasing it for free, spurring interest in supporting it through a package of cool items, and kicking back a percentage to the people involved. Everyone gets free content, Valve makes a big profit, and the people who wouldn't normally see much or any cash get paid too. It's working throughout the scene, like buying tournament tickets (often with couriers included) that increase the prize pool for the pro players with every ticket bought, and player-made item sets with royalties for the creators. With such a positive, pro-consumer, hell, pro-everyone mindset, it's hard not to want to throw money at it at frequent intervals. I feel good every time I buy an item set or a tournament ticket, not ripped off.

DarkKyo

Oh man, those items are awesome! I particularly like the Doom mask, but they're all great.

never played it. what am I missing?

You're missing out! If you're at all interested you will probably love it. A couple matches will make you an addict and keep you coming back for more.

F!ReW!Re

With such a positive, pro-consumer, hell, pro-everyone mindset, it's hard not to want to throw money at it at frequent intervals. I feel good every time I buy an item set or a tournament ticket, not ripped off.

I keep telling myself that every time I spend money on a F2P game (even after spending at least 300-500 Euro's on this game :p)

In all seriousness, I love this game and don't mind spending money on it.
The only thing that really hurts?

THE BACKLOG of all the other games I get on steam sales but never play due to damn Dota 2!

Kade

Finally! They labelled the first showing of the film as a "beta test" so I guess this movie is out of beta testing. Hope those items are priced appropriately, though I don't really care about the hero sets.

Valve has developed such a great model, releasing it for free, spurring interest in supporting it through a package of cool items, and kicking back a percentage to the people involved. Everyone gets free content, Valve makes a big profit, and the people who wouldn't normally see much or any cash get paid too. It's working throughout the scene, like buying tournament tickets (often with couriers included) that increase the prize pool for the pro players with every ticket bought, and player-made item sets with royalties for the creators. With such a positive, pro-consumer, hell, pro-everyone mindset, it's hard not to want to throw money at it at frequent intervals. I feel good every time I buy an item set or a tournament ticket, not ripped off.

The right side of the war has been determined. NeoGAF Administrator and Webmaster EviLore plays/follows Dota 2 instead of League of Legends.

never played it. what am I missing?

A cool game.

Heyoka

Neo Member
Most of the doc is about the players themselves and their story, there isn't a whole ton about the game directly (which would be super outdated anyway, as it centers on The International 2011). There are a handful of sections about specific games that play out in certain ways (hyhy/Dendi lobbying for certain heroes, Fear's team having a weird loss) as well as strategies used as NaVi went through the bracket but it's largely about the daily lives of professionals and how they got there etc. The transitions are all cool CGI of heroes fighting at least. Hyhy's switch to competitive League is conveniently skirted around in a sort of amusing way.

Saw this at TI3 and loved it, looking forward to watching again.

Most of the doc is about the players themselves and their story, there isn't a whole ton about the game directly (which would be super outdated anyway, as it centers on The International 2011). There are a handful of sections about specific games that play out in certain ways (hyhy/Dendi lobbying for certain heroes, Fear's team having a weird loss) as well as strategies used as NaVi went through the bracket but it's largely about the daily lives of professionals and how they got there etc. The transitions are all cool CGI of heroes fighting at least.

Saw this at TI3 and loved it, looking forward to watching again.
I'm assuming they were all just hi quality assets from filmmaker. Should be exciting!

Edwardo

I keep telling myself that every time I spend money on a F2P game (even after spending at least 300-500 Euro's on this game :p)

In all seriousness, I love this game and don't mind spending money on it.

I play League, but I feel the same way. It's a free to play game, and since I'm putting so much time into League, i'm not buying other games. So if I drop $20 here and there it really isn't that big of a deal since I would be spending more than that amount on new games anyways.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Or maybe they are influencing your thoughts with subliminal messages inside the game...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I wonder if they'll even mention DoTA, the mod.

Aye and if anyone knows that, Valve should because of Counter-Strike.

I think Valve of all people probably wants others to forget how much they fucked up with CS and CSS as an Esport.

F!ReW!Re

I play League, but I feel the same way. It's a free to play game, and since I'm putting so much time into League, i'm not buying other games. So if I drop $20 here and there it really isn't that big of a deal since I would be spending more than that amount on new games anyways.

Yeah and considering this is one of the few games I actually keep playing for a prolonged time. (been playing this for about 2 years (2500 hours in-game according to Steam)
I don't mind spending that amount of money on something I really love playing anyway!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Since Dota has been averaging a new patch/event every month and a half or so, I'm guessing the next patch will coincide with this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
No word on the price?

Im guessing an arcana pricing.

$35

I think they are going to do Compendium Level Pricing and sell it all for $10, just to get it in everyone's hands. I also have a feeling Valve is going to try and sneak in some new gimmick with the items to see how the community reacts and get them used to it. I'll likely would buy it for $20 without too much thought, but above that I would likely have to take a serious consideration if the cosmetics have enough value.

I'll never use that Sven set, I tend to not like any custom hud that isn't a variation of the default, I don't really want to change wards due to having a bunch of stat counters. The doom Set could be nice, and the pudge set will likely have some parts I'll make use of though.

mfaex

Dendi Pudge set, fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Oh and a documentary. Thank you hyhy for returning to dota so it could be released.
jk i <3 hyhy

Top Bottom