• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's "Free To Play" Dota 2 Documentary [Out Now]

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I watched this with the fiancee last night and she loved it despite only having 10 games of dota under her belt. Unfortunately she's now a Dendi fan :| She loved the piano hands bit, the goofy dancing at the start, and the feels at the end.

Hahaha, better step up your Pudge game kagete.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I would honestly be surprised if they get top 8.

Yeah, EG feels like a team that is a shoe in for "top 16", especially if you want an American Team, but I don't know if they could actually get into a top 8 spot, there are a lot of really strong European and Asian teams.

Meteorain

Watched this a few hours ago.

Really liked it. Fear for TI4 champion plz.

1vLlvBQ.png

Haly

Sorry dude, HON devourer-fan for life. I don't care what anyone says but I personally can't play pudge in dota2 after being spoiled by hon.

Look at this scrub relying on his rebound hooks.

Watched it last night and the time really flew by. Seeing Dendi fishing at the end almost got me. Dendi I've known about for years, but I will root for hyhy and Fear in the next International.

Just watched this last night. Very interesting.
I'm not too knowledgable about the DOTA scene, could someone kindly give an update on the 3 main profiled players? Are they still playing etc.?

I'm not too knowledgable about the DOTA scene, could someone kindly give an update on the 3 main profiled players? Are they still playing etc.?

The only one I really know of is Dendi, who is definitely still playing and his team is still one of the best.

Jokab

Dendi is one of the best players in the world and his team is arguably the best. Chinese guy is retired. Fear plays on the american team EG which is top 2 in USA but not top top compared to the rest of the world.

Haly

Hyhy plays league of legends now, but is currently teamless after some moderate success in the scene.

aeolist

Banned
The only one I really know of is Dendi, who is definitely still playing and his team is still one of the best.

fear is still on EG with a much stronger lineup, they've been playing well. right now he's not playing due to a repetitive stress injury in his elbow but he should be back soon and they have a good standin.

hyhy is doing his mandatory military service right now and is only playing casually.

styl3s

Finally decided to DL it and why the fuck is it 7gb?

I would love to play DOTA but none of my friends are interested in it and this isn't the type of game i would want to play with different people every single time. That's one of my biggest gripes about "MOBA" games, or at least LoL. I tried playing a few public games and was shitted on every single match for not being pro.

Their teams** won those figures. Not like they get to keep it all to themselves unfortunately :( Compared to how much people got at TI3 with the crowdfunded boost to the prize pool its a bit of a bummer to see the difference in $$ but then again compared to what was before this its amazing so I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Yeah man, someone should gif the moment of realization when one of the crew was like "you picking up smoking seems to coincide with breaking up with your gf". Great reaction.
There ya go

13605184275_616caae9b6_o.gif

I enjoyed it a lot. Will probably watch again.

It really is a big deal in Asia. Writing shit down in notepads, rooms specifically for training, on par with soccer players, etc. I'm like goddamn

Thanks for the info guys!

Hyhy plays league of legends now, but is currently teamless after some moderate success in the scene.

Any specific reason he switched? I know the rivalry has reached almost fanboyish levels (LoL vs Dota I mean) and I'd be interested to know why a pro switched.

Haly

Don't know, looks like he "returned" to DOTA2 on January 21st for all of 5 days before leaving Scythe.SG, a Singaporean DOTA2 team.

Something tells me hyhy is in a rough spot right now.

SamVimes

Thanks for the info guys!

Any specific reason he switched? I know the rivalry has reached almost fanboyish levels (LoL vs Dota I mean) and I'd be interested to know why a pro switched.

Because outside of the international there's much more money in LoL, especially the eastern scene at the time was really lacking. He retired after ti2 and that's when big organizations in china started taking the game seriously and putting up high prize pools, there's still not as much money as in the lol scene but it's getting better all the time.

Don't know, looks like he "returned" to DOTA2 on January 21st for all of 5 days before leaving Scythe.SG, a Singaporean DOTA2 team.

Something tells me hyhy is in a rough spot right now.

Thanks.

Because outside of the international there's much more money in LoL, especially the eastern scene at the time was really lacking. He retired after ti2 and that's when big organizations in china started taking the game seriously and putting up high prize pools, there's still not as much money as in the lol scene but it's getting better all the time.

Yeah I just posted in the Dota community thread a question related to that. Namely, if people expect parity eventually. LoL is intrinsically more lucrative right now because of #s, but if they had the same amount of players it would be reasonable to assume that the payouts would be similar.
Tough living paycheque to paycheque as was the case in the documentary.

Top Bottom