• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's "Free To Play" Dota 2 Documentary [Out Now]

Deadstar

never played it. what am I missing?

You are missing one of the greatest games of the generation. There is a pretty decent tutorial system in the game now that will help you get started. Know that there is much more to know than what they teach you in those tutorials, but at least you'll have a better understanding of what's going on if you play them.

Aesthet1c

Been looking forward to this ever since it was announced.

I'll definitely be buying the pack too. I love Dendi and Fear and want to support them as well as Valve.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
"10 years ago competitive gaming wasn't a thing." Talk about complete bullshit.

Yea thresh just happened to find a brand new ferrari in his garage. He didn't win it in a competitive match or anything.

Also Boxer became rich by playing a chess.

Heyoka

Neo Member
They do a good job of showing the realities of being a progamer I don't think the doc itself really glamorizes the profession. The way they tell the stories of how people became pros is very sad for all three dudes.

For a game that is so popular, it is amazing how long a new player has to wait for the matchmaking to create a match.

I have not played this game, simply because of that. I will hit Play and then wait for 5+ minutes before turning it off and playing something else.

F!ReW!Re

For a game that is so popular, it is amazing how long a new player has to wait for the matchmaking to create a match.

I have not played this game, simply because of that. I will hit Play and then wait for 5+ minutes before turning it off and playing something else.

What region were you going for and what game mode(s)?

If you're queuing for limited heroes that place is a graveyard because it's the worst place ever.

Valve has developed such a great model, releasing it for free, spurring interest in supporting it through a package of cool items, and kicking back a percentage to the people involved. Everyone gets free content, Valve makes a big profit, and the people who wouldn't normally see much or any cash get paid too. It's working throughout the scene, like buying tournament tickets (often with couriers included) that increase the prize pool for the pro players with every ticket bought, and player-made item sets with royalties for the creators. With such a positive, pro-consumer, hell, pro-everyone mindset, it's hard not to want to throw money at it at frequent intervals. I feel good every time I buy an item set or a tournament ticket, not ripped off.

Agreed, It really just works for everybody and is an extremely logical model for any competitive game. CS: GO has taken off thanks to it.

Valve has developed such a great model, releasing it for free, spurring interest in supporting it through a package of cool items, and kicking back a percentage to the people involved. Everyone gets free content, Valve makes a big profit, and the people who wouldn't normally see much or any cash get paid too. It's working throughout the scene, like buying tournament tickets (often with couriers included) that increase the prize pool for the pro players with every ticket bought, and player-made item sets with royalties for the creators. With such a positive, pro-consumer, hell, pro-everyone mindset, it's hard not to want to throw money at it at frequent intervals. I feel good every time I buy an item set or a tournament ticket, not ripped off.

We have to clarify it's not an easy model to implement for everyone. Let's remember they hard the hard part done: getting the first 3-6 millions of players. Just with the name of Dota (and Valve) they had it, and that's where the F2P developers struggle. Once the game is established and they have an steady income coming from it, it's another thing.
If someone would make a new F2P Moba game, even for free, would he have the same success?

Also, not every company have the resources that Valve has thanks to Steam, which is what allow them to give so much for free and bet for having a profit on the long term.

Razzer

Been looking forward to this for months now, good to have a release date finally. I remember someone who saw it at TI3 saying that Dendi's life in particular comes off as a great story. But hopefully they portray everyone well. Hyped!

Qvoth

apparently the dendi pudge set will have a mini dendi
699fb0ab5d.jpg

at least that's what danidem the creator mentioned on reddit

I think I'm convinced I'm gonna roll into my grave never convinced to get into MOBA games.

Otherwise, really hope DOTA fans like the doc. I love when companies put out vids for games I like. Wish it happened more often.

Ahhh I was wondering when this documentary previewed at TI3 was going to show. Glad to see Valve hasn't completely forgot it and will release soon, definitely looking forward to this.

mcw

Just got out of the premiere for this at the Castro Theatre. Damned good, I enjoyed the hell out of it and I've never played one of these lords management games.

They gave out packets containing pins and a code for some in-game item. No idea what this is.

Top Bottom