• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's "Free To Play" Dota 2 Documentary [Out Now]

Just got out of the premiere for this at the Castro Theatre. Damned good, I enjoyed the hell out of it and I've never played one of these lords management games.

They gave out packets containing pins and a code for some in-game item. No idea what this is.
yo give it to me

no really sell it on the steam market depending on what it is you could make some money

or better yet get addicted to dota and use it

Also do you know approximately how long it was? Less than 2 hours?

Nabs

Just got out of the premiere for this at the Castro Theatre. Damned good, I enjoyed the hell out of it and I've never played one of these lords management games.

They gave out packets containing pins and a code for some in-game item. No idea what this is.

$$$$$$$$

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Can anyone explain to me the useless term of "lords management"?

Not a single ARTS/MOBA uses the term "lords" for heroes. It makes no freaking sense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can anyone explain to me the useless term of "lords management"?

Not a single ARTS/MOBA uses the term "lords" for heroes. It makes no freaking sense.
It's an Idle Thumbs meme that they keep trotting out every once in a while. I don't think it makes sense either. lol

Just came back from the premier but didn't get any of those items they were handing out! Sad face.

Enjoyed the movie a lot, I'd clock it around 90 - 100 minutes; but it never overstayed its welcome =) A good experience overall.

Mik2121

Cool. The trailer almost starts with a guy talking out his ass, but otherwise it was nice.

"Ten years ago, competitive gaming wasn't even a thing"... lol. Sure it wasn't perhaps as big as it's now, but it definitely was a thing, and already fairly big.

Edit: It seems I wasn't the first to notice, lol.

i'll take them :)

Usobuko

Banned
Is there a reason why they picked hyhy who jumped to LoL? He was pretty famous along with Tofuboi in local scene before the WCG triumph.

mcw

Is there a reason why they picked hyhy who jumped to LoL? He was pretty famous along with Tofuboi in local scene before the WCG triumph.

In the Q&A they held after the premiere, the Valve folks talked about how this started as them sending a camera crew to Cologne to film The International back in 2011, but grew into a larger project after they found so much to like in the stories of these three guys. hyhy in particular came off as really charismatic, and appeared to be sacrificing a hell of a lot in order to be there.

KingKong

I'm pretty disappointed by the documentary, it was just kind of bland. Did anyone else think that Team Liquids Behind the Horse was a lot better? It was funny, enjoyable, and gave a better look at both the human journey and the game/tournament

I'm pretty disappointed by the documentary, it was just kind of bland. Did anyone else think that Team Liquids Behind the Horse was a lot better? It was funny, enjoyable, and gave a better look at both the human journey and the game/tournament
It was super well made and I think it was really great with the human details. As someone who really enjoys dota it was pretty light on actual that, but understand why they did that.

My favorite was just the ambient differences between Germany, America, Ukraine, and Malaysia. Also seeing all the players with familiar faces. Most of them are still around but man so many of those teams don't exist at all anymore.

K.Sabot

Smash Brothers was better, but this was pretty alright.

There are a lot of similarities between the two after viewing both, but this had better production (of course it would, it's valve vs a kickstarter project released for free).

Beyond the production though, the pacing was pretty flat. It was also too short and felt like it could have been more explanatory.

But yeah, Smash Brothers, great competitive gaming docu.

kagete

Sorta related question but aside from putting my laptop beside my TV and plugging it in via HDMI is there anyway to watch this on a chromecast? Like does the video play in a browser and renders full-screen without any issues from there? I'm spoiled by Hulu/HBOGO/Netflix working with chromecast :(

I already have it downloaded on Steam but I was just thinking of watching it on my larger TV instead.

Sorta related question but aside from putting my laptop beside my TV and plugging it in via HDMI is there anyway to watch this on a chromecast? Like does the video play in a browser and renders full-screen without any issues from there? I'm spoiled by Hulu/HBOGO/Netflix working with chromecast :(

I already have it downloaded on Steam but I was just thinking of watching it on my larger TV instead.
It's on YouTube so that should throw to chrome cast that way.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UjZYMI1zB9s

you won't get the hot steam achievements tho

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So, how much shit is Synderen going to get for the rest of his life over that "ten years ago" line :lol

styl3s

If this was about Starcraft i would be all fucking over this.

I just can't bring myself to care about Dota 2 and LoL and that's partially my fault. It's a type of genre that is shitty without friends and everyone i know hates both LoL and Dota.

i've watched everything, how come i only have 2 out of the 5 achievements?

You probably didn't watch the extras or listen to the other audio tracks (player commentary).

I just can't bring myself to care about Dota 2 and LoL and that's partially my fault. It's a type of genre that is shitty without friends and everyone i know hates both LoL and Dota.

It's not about the game much, so you should be okay watching.

It's more about the people. They barely go into the game at all, mostly just the events surrounding it.

They even talk about Starcraft some.

ACE 1991

Very well done, I certainly dug it. I'm more interested in hearing reception from someone who doesn't have almost 800 hours sunk into the damn game though

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I thought it was completely average. I didn't connect with any of the subjects, so it really all boiled down to the outcome of the tournament. I don't play Dota, but I sure know more about it than the average person.

Nokterian

I liked it and clearly shows for a non dota player what the game is about. One of the reasons Kaci who co-hosted last year TI3 seen this documentary before she said yes and also returning this year for TI4. A lot of sacrifices have to be made if you want to win and keep pushing your self. They did a great use of showing the matches in source filmmaker with close ups.

Dubz

Just finished watching it. I was struck by the top notch production of it all. I was also impressed with Valve as an entertainment company. I could envision a lot more docs of this type, and perhaps a special gaming television section on Steam.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
There is an 8pm showing in LA at the Crest Westwood. Some BTS peeps and I will be there if anyone wants to swing by.

JSoup

Banned
Installing now. Guess I should have pre-installed it a few days ago, but how was I to know that one movie would be 5 freaking GBs. :/

f0rk

Each of the individual stories were pretty predictable, especially having seen the trailer. We didn't really see how the families reacted after the tournament either, except Dendis which was the least interesting.

It was very well put together though.

Omega

Banned
I ended up watching this, knowing almost nothing about Dota, so I had no idea who ended up winning and throughout the video I kept saying "i hope this guy wins"

Hyhy, I felt bad for him. I guess there's a reason the stereotype exists with asian parents and school.

I have watched this documentary and I feel slightly uneasy because of its glorification of pursuing a carrer in competitive gaming.

I do not think esports has grown big enough to justify betting your life on a career as a pro gamer. It appeals to a tiny fracture of the population and is financed out of the marketing budget of a couple of hardware manufacturers. Compare that to other marketable sports which are watched by people who do not regularly play that sport and are financed to a big degree by their spectators.

Esports also regularly seem to require a quite unhealthy lifestyle consisting of sitting in front of the pc and sleeping.

I like watching starcraft matches fom time to time. But when I see the pro gamers looking pale and frail and without showing any emotions to their games, they do not seem like ideal idols to me.

I have watched this documentary and I feel slightly uneasy because of its glorification of pursuing a carrer in competitive gaming.

I do not think esports has grown big enough to justify betting your life on a career as a pro gamer. It appeals to a tiny fracture of the population and is financed out of the marketing budget of a couple of hardware manufacturers. Compare that to other marketable sports which are watched by people who do not regularly play that sport and are financed to a big degree by their spectators.

Esports also regularly seem to require a quite unhealthy lifestyle consisting of sitting in front of the pc and sleeping.

I like watching starcraft matches fom time to time. But when I see the pro gamers looking pale and frail and without showing any emotions to their games, they do not seem like ideal idols to me.

I agree except for the financed by the spectators line. A good % of dota 2 prize pools are funded by the fans now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think the documentary was pretty even-handed on this point. Obviously, they wouldn't intentionally tarnish the "legitimacy" of e-sports, but they also didn't shy away from the risks and sacrifices players have made in their lives in pursuit of pro-gaming. Out of the three main characters in Free to Play, only Dendi really lived the dream. Both Fear and hyhy gave up a lot for what they accomplished during the first International and the ensuing disappointment at missing the top, both explicit (and implicit), shouldn't be overlooked. They also touched on the magic "24-25" wall for pro-gamers, the issue of winnings and salaries, and the kind of lifestyle pro-gamers lead in China.

I thought it was completely average. I didn't connect with any of the subjects, so it really all boiled down to the outcome of the tournament. I don't play Dota, but I sure know more about it than the average person.

While I thought it would be a different angle, I felt it was a good look at the issue of that plagues a lot of gamers' minds: how do we get people to take this hobby seriously? While I never took gaming as far as someone like Fear, I can totally understand the family stresses and strain in his personal life resulting from investing SO much time in gaming. It's interesting to see how it affected them during the buildup to the tournament that really legitimized gaming as a career for a lot of these guys.

I was hoping it would have more of a focus on the development of Dota 2 as a game and the organization of The International as a tournament. I find that to be a fascinating subject, but the more emotional angle worked as well.

Loved the documentary, especially the in-game shots where it was converted to cinematic style.

Even though I play more LoL than Dota 2 (due to RL friends) I do believe Dota 2 to be the game of at the forefront of the ARTS/MOBA genre to propel E-Sports forward.
Plus the International is just so better than any LCS or World Finals LoL has produced.

Omega

Banned

how is there a glorification of pro gaming? One player got kicked out of his house and had to game on a makeshift desk using books to prop up his CRT monitor from the 1800s. Another player lost his girlfriend who he loved and is constantly pestered by his parents to focus on school so he can work a 9-5 that he hates like 90% of the world instead of doing something he enjoys.

Yes they said that Chinese Dota players and Korean Starcraft are treated like rockstars but they also say that in China, Dota is recognized as a sport and how they have huge viewership over there.

Top Bottom