• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's "Free To Play" Dota 2 Documentary [Out Now]

Grakl

I've been listening on my headphones and it seems like after around ~18 minutes the music only plays, for the most part, on the left channel. Anyone else getting this problem? Seems like Valve mixed the audio weird.

Miguel81

I think I would have loved the MOBA/RTS genre when I was younger, but it's just too daunting for me at my age(33). No problem, We all have to pass the gaming baton at some stage.

Aaron

I think I would have loved the MOBA/RTS genre when I was younger, but it's just too daunting for me at my age(33). No problem, We all have to pass the gaming baton at some stage.
Dota 2 features a tutorial to ease you into things. There's also the upcoming Heroes of the Storm for a much more accessible MOBA.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
amazing documentary, I cried. I hope Dendi has lots of time to fish now :(

The human element of this documentary was well done. The way they illustrated the lives of all three players and how hard they worked to get where they were was very effective.

If this was about Starcraft i would be all fucking over this.

I just can't bring myself to care about Dota 2 and LoL and that's partially my fault. It's a type of genre that is shitty without friends and everyone i know hates both LoL and Dota.

You know, I don't like playing Mobas, Dota included. I will watch an International match and not have a clue what's going on half the time (though it's very entertaining). But this documentary wasn't really about Dota so much as it was about its players and the sacrifices they're willing to make to get to the top of their game, and how their interests both gel and conflict with their friends and families.

It's very much worth watching even if you don't care one whit about Dota (or even about video games in general).

A very solid first effort from Valve. I'm looking forward to their next movie.

Grakl

good documentary, it was at its best when focusing on the player's lives and their relationships with their families -- wouldn't mind seeing another

Animal

Banned
I have been trying to love MOBA style games for a long time but I can't seem to make it click in my head. I have had enjoyable games in dota2 I must admit but nothing to hook me.

Loved the documentary. I got goosebumps and almost teared up when Fear's mother recorded her son making the local news.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good movie, would have liked a bit more scope, but that would have taken probably 8 years.

Got nerd chills a few times, especially seeing the Korean Air intro again.
Ask them if they want your autograph. Tell them you are GAFamous.
Shit, I forgot.
All the BTS peeps were super chill.

Gav47

I really enjoyed that, its was a little bit cheesy at times but overall is was really good. I hope Fear makes it to TI this year.

I really enjoyed that, its was a little bit cheesy at times but overall is was really good. I hope Fear makes it to TI this year.
He's in a team that's super good right now, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just won a big LAN against another really good team.

They have a good shot of actually going far in it. Which is great as his team didn't even qualify for it last year.

Oh, it's out already? Great! Was really looking forward to this. It's hard to explain esports to "nonbelievers", and stuff like this helps.

Duxxy3

I'm a little bit older, but I feel the same way. It's a genre for a younger generation.

yatesl

I don't play Dota (tried it, but the community scares me off), and despite that I enjoyed it.

They really laboured on hyhy's
ex-girlfriend
though. Talk about kicking a man when he's down!
Although after he won $25,000 she changed her mind.

Wasn't a fan of the CGI though - found it a bit condescending. Indie Game: The Movie didn't have a render of Tim from Braid dramatically jumping on goomba heads, then rewinding back in time.

subrock

Great doc. I thought it was really well done. It wasn't ever clear who was going to win, so it was entertaining to the end.

SamVimes

He's in a team that's super good right now, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just won a big LAN against another really good team.

They have a good shot of actually going far in it. Which is great as his team didn't even qualify for it last year.

4 teams of which only 2 are decent and one of them has a standin doesn't really qualify has a big lan.

XAL

haha shit, from the dota 2 subreddit

8ykdepW.jpg

this is accurate.

I thought it was decent, if somewhat predictable. Hopefully it will shed some light on the culture of gaming for those who aren't into it at all.

I imagine the twitch chat was just a stream of Kreygasms whenever Dendi's sister was on screen.

Really well-made documentary. Was more upfront about the potential downsides of pursing esports than I thought it would be.

Ok movie. Got a bit heavy with
the feels in the end.
But it's free, so yeah. I'd watch it again.

One thing I don't get: What's up with the name of the movie?
It's not like there is any significant mention of the ftp model. Is it perhaps "these boys are really free to play whatever they want"?

Duxxy3

For someone who is completely outside of the MOBA scene, who had no clue who won any of the internationals (or anything), it was a pretty cool documentary.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed it overall but the best parts really had nothing to do with Dota. It's always nice to a look in on people's lives and hear about what motivates them though. I didn't really feel like the actual esports angle was very strong, I felt like the event they were competing in could've been anything rather than there being any particular value in the fact it was Dota. Perhaps that was the whole point though? Still it was good to watch though and was effective at getting me to feel for the people involved which is good.

Aaron

I'm a little bit older, but I feel the same way. It's a genre for a younger generation.
Warcraft came out twenty years ago. If we go back to Dune II where things really started, this genre is twenty two years old. RTS isn't a new genre. It's already graduated college.

Duxxy3

Warcraft came out twenty years ago. If we go back to Dune II where things really started, this genre is twenty two years old. RTS isn't a new genre. It's already graduated college.

I know, I played Warcraft 1 on my mac long ago. Played Herzog Zwei before that.

Still, moba are different.

I don't play Dota (tried it, but the community scares me off), and despite that I enjoyed it.

They really laboured on hyhy's
ex-girlfriend
though. Talk about kicking a man when he's down!
Although after he won $25,000 she changed her mind.

Wasn't a fan of the CGI though - found it a bit condescending. Indie Game: The Movie didn't have a render of Tim from Braid dramatically jumping on goomba heads, then rewinding back in time.

Hyhy really labored on about her, seemed mildly obsessed.

Fear won $25k, hyhy won $125k.

Aaron

I know, I played Warcraft 1 on my mac long ago. Played Herzog Zwei before that.

Still, moba are different.
I don't think so. The biggest obstacle, especially for Dota 2, is the control. If you've played an RTS before, that should be no problem. The next thing is realizing that MOBA is not just RTS, but also a sport and an RPG. So with the sport aspect, you need to know your position, what you're doing on the field, and what your teammates will expect from you. If you've ever played a team sport this should be familiar. This will mostly be learned by playing the game, and taking advice of more experienced teammates. Then there's the RPG part, where you need to know what skills to focus on and what items to buy. Dota 2 is very good with the in game guides so that becomes second nature. There's a lot of little details, but they aren't as important as they seem. The core thing is being aware of your surroundings like you would in any game that's full of things out to kill you, and your primary job above everything else is to not let them.

Dota 2 is a lot like Dark Souls. It's much easier than it seems at first glance, but you need to put a little time in to crack it open.

Soule

Hyhy really labored on about her, seemed mildly obsessed.

Fear won $25k, hyhy won $125k.
Their teams** won those figures. Not like they get to keep it all to themselves unfortunately :( Compared to how much people got at TI3 with the crowdfunded boost to the prize pool its a bit of a bummer to see the difference in $$ but then again compared to what was before this its amazing so I guess it's a matter of perspective.

holy shit that hyhy smoking bit

BibleThump

Yeah man, someone should gif the moment of realization when one of the crew was like "you picking up smoking seems to coincide with breaking up with your gf". Great reaction.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Just watched it with my GF. Very nice and emotional. And she liked it even though she's not into the game, so there's that!

Valve's production values are always amazing.

Twinduct

Man really enjoyed it. Production values were awesome. However no idea how much I would have enjoyed this if I weren't this invested in the tourney. I don't play the game but so far every international has been such a great event to watch.

Would love to have a follow up going in the next international. Although I imagine don't won't happen.

Really wish I can dedicate enough time to actually follow the scene outside the big tournament.

kagete

I watched this with the fiancee last night and she loved it despite only having 10 games of dota under her belt. Unfortunately she's now a Dendi fan :| She loved the piano hands bit, the goofy dancing at the start, and the feels at the end.

Anyone notice the credits? Five Aarons and then BAM Icefrog!

Half Life 5 MOBA confirmed

Pretty decent. Also the first and last time I'll ever get all the achievements for something on steam.

Glad he got the
girl back

fallout

I've always found the RTS comparisons to the MOBA genre to be rather misleading. The control scheme (somewhat) and screen layout look similar to an RTS game, but they play so incredibly different that it doesn't really help to understand the genre.

The core of the MOBA genre is comprised of the action RPG elements being condensed into a 30-60 minute game: leveling up, amassing gold and buying items. As a general rule, you want to be doing this faster than your opponents. The next thing is the competitive element of the game, where you are taking your player character and fighting the other enemy player characters. After that, it's coordination with your teammates.

These are the main things which make up a MOBA game and few of them have anything to do with what people think of when someone says "RTS".

Woorloog

Banned
I've always found the RTS comparisons to the MOBA genre to be rather misleading. The control scheme (somewhat) and screen layout look similar to an RTS game, but they play so incredibly different that it doesn't really help to understand the genre.

The core of the MOBA genre is comprised of the action RPG elements being condensed into a 30-60 minute game: leveling up, amassing gold and buying items. As a general rule, you want to be doing this faster than your opponents. The next thing is the competitive element of the game, where you are taking your player character and fighting the other enemy player characters. After that, it's coordination with your teammates.

These are the main things which make up a MOBA game and few of them have anything to do with what people think of when someone says "RTS".

I think MOBAs are kind of closer to action RPGs than to RTS. Of course, they originate from Warcraft 3 which was a mix of those two in a way...

Need to watch this document at some point, is it available in Youtube?

GoodlifeX

I really enjoyed the segemnts on personal lives of the players. Being anything more than a casual gamer carries a social stigma to it so it was really to see the perspectives of the most hardcore of players and the impact of it on their lives.

Their teams** won those figures. Not like they get to keep it all to themselves unfortunately :( Compared to how much people got at TI3 with the crowdfunded boost to the prize pool its a bit of a bummer to see the difference in $$ but then again compared to what was before this its amazing so I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Hyhy's team won $125k, so he got 25. Maybe less with the sponsor/manager cut.

I stand corrected.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fear has a good shot, the current incarnation of eg seems pretty strong. Can't say how high eg would place, lots of strong teams this year world wide.

Top Bottom