• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety reports Daniel Day Lewis retires from acting

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/daniel-day-lewis-quits-acting-oscar-winner-1202472766/

Three-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis, widely considered one of the preeminent actors of his generation, is retiring from acting, Variety has learned.

The 60-year-old star, who has played presidents, writers, and gang leaders in a career that has spanned four decades, has one final film awaiting release, “Phantom Thread,” a drama set in the world of high fashion. It is scheduled to hit theaters on December 25, 2017 and reunites him with Paul Thomas Anderson, who directed Day-Lewis to a best actor Oscar in 2007’s “There Will Be Blood.” Day-Lewis intends to help promote the movie, according to a person familiar with his plans.

The man had one hell of a career.

Arguably the greatest actor of all time. His performance as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood is certainly my favorite performance ever.

I would love for him to do at least one more role, but if he's indeed done then there's no shame in that.

Can't say I'm all that shocked. He has 3 oscars and could win another with this next film.

Even with the 3 or 4 year long breaks, he probably doesn't want to go all in on another role anymore.

Again? It's sad that he's saying this, but I believe he's announced his retirement in the past before. Given how super picky he is with his projects, I wouldn't be surprised if someone forced him out of retirement five years from now at least.

Still that's unfortunate.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Very unfortunate, he's an absolutely remarkable actor. And he is still damn young.

It's really crazy when looking at his filmography as he's only been in like ~20 feature films.

SpaceWolf

Banned
He must have one hell of a role in Phantom Thread if that's going to be the part he retires on, especially given how long Lewis had talked about only taking on future roles that can top the ones before.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
There Will Be Blood is his magnum opus and it's a damn good one
If Phantom Thread turns out to be half the movie There Will Be Blood was, it'll still be a damn fine send-off. Hard to not trust in PTAxDDL.

jelly

Nothing lasts forever, thanks for the performances. He could come out of retirement for something.

Does he get paid big bucks?

It's a work.

He's just method acting and prepping for his next part.

A movie about a guy who doesn't know what to do with his life after retiring.

He'll make it amazing

giphy.gif

He's retired before and come back so I'm not entirely sure if this is final. If it is, I wish him all the best and hope it's not for health reasons. He's one of my favorites and I'll miss the hell out of him on screen.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The best actor of all time hands down. It makes sense he's calling it a day with how much work he puts into a role. He probably can't envision giving anymore of his life to it.

Kadayi

Banned
Didn't realise he was 60 tbh. Like others have said, he's done this before. I think ultimately he's pretty choosy about his projects and so it's not unlikely if the good enough project came along he might be tempted to come out again.

Fury451

Banned
Are we sure this is a real retirement, and not a "Become a cobbler for 5 years" thing?

If so, very sad. Hopefully Phantom Thread is a fitting finale to a great career.

Top Bottom