• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various eShop software download sizes for Nintendo Switch games

Shiggy

my first reaction, still valid :p

That said, Switch has less than 1/10th of the space out of the box and I somehow doubt we'll see 1/10th on average in terms of game sizes.

That said, the Switch does support external HDDs if you want to use it purely as a home console (as I intend to), right? So there's that possibility at least.

No, it doesn't support external HDDs.

32GB is pretty small. Putting 64GB or 128GB into the system wouldn't have increased costs much. Then again, unlike a lot of other tablet producers, they at least allow users to expand storage with a microSD slot.

Going for retail copies whenever possible will be significantly cheaper anyway.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
What? Bought Pheonix Wright Trilogy digital. Went to buy Luigi's Mansion digital and it wouldn't fit. That's the extent of my digital 3DS library aside from a bunch of VC games that no doubt have very tiny file sizes. Just like wity Switch, if you were serious about digital on 3DS you needed extra memory.
I didn't understand your point

That said, Switch has less than 1/10th of the space out of the box and I somehow doubt we'll see 1/10th on average in terms of game sizes.

That said, the Switch does support external HDDs if you want to use it purely as a home console (as I intend to), right? So there's that possibility at least.
It supports in that it's possible however functionality isn't there at launch, and Nintendo is still deciding if they're going to allow it.

And how would games play in handheld mode?

people need to understand that the design is tied to the form factor, This form factors has limitations, they are part of the console concept. you can't compare it to a classic home console.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Anyone buying digital versions of games at extra cost is not going to worry about having to buy extra storage, people just love to complain about anything

This so much. Physical zelda is £48. £60 for the digital version. If you are happy to pay £60 for games then surely it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to buy a 128GB SD card for ~£40 or ~£70 for a 200GB.

ramparter

Banned
Switch will be mostly physical for me, at least cartridges are more convenient to swap than discs.
Anyone buying digital versions of games at extra cost is not going to worry about having to buy extra storage, people just love to complain about anything

To add more to this line of reasoning, I wouldn't mind paying 50-60 for a big SD card if the digital games were cheaper.

Meffer

We also have people like you who think "SD cards are cheap" and don't seem to think beyond that. In the OP there is a 15gb game and a 30+gb game. Is it really a "doozy" to say that additional memory for the Switch can be as costly as the vita?

Do you know how much a Vita 64GB memory card costs? $100. I bought a 200 GB microSD two days ago for $70. Get the fuck out with that crap.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

It doesn't support HDDs currently. Nintendo has said they're considering adding it.

Bluth54

They cant afford to make it hold 128GB or more without making the system cost $400+. Even if they did, you would still end up getting an SD card anyway if you planned on going digital.

The absolutely could put in 128 GB of flash memory without increasing the price by $100. Just because Apple charges $100 more for extra flash memory doesn't mean it costs that much. Flash memory is very cheap if you're buying on a huge scale for something like the Switch.
9to5Mac's part cost breakdown for the iphone7 estimates Apple pays around $16 combined for the iPhone 7's 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of flash and it's only a couple of dollars more for them to bump up the flash to 128 GB.

As of a year ago 32 GB of Flash Memory for the Samsung Galaxy came in at around $7 Again that's a year old and if you're buying more of it the price per GB is going to be lower.

You can buy a 120 GB SSD at the consumer level for $45

I'm sorry there's no excuse for not having a minimum of 64 GB of flash memory on the Switch. 128 should of been possible for Nintendo as well.

SirNinja

The Switch's onboard 32GB is going to be taken up fast. Expect it to fill up fairly rapidly with patches alone.

Best thing to do is to just get a decent MicroSD card and use that for the games you want to have access to at all times, then just go physical for the rest. Switch game cards are nice and small so it shouldn't be too much of a problem even for those who hate physical.

Oregano

How on earth is DQ Heroes filling up a 32GB card considering its the PS3 version of the first game(16GB?) and the PS Vita version of the second(4GB).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'll go digital for VC games or any other eShop-exclusive games. For the rest, it'll be physical.

That's what I've done for every Nintendo system. It works pretty well. I'd like to go totally digital at some point, though.

I don't see how anyone who's seriously into going all-digital can have a major problem with this. It's pretty well known in 2017 that if you want to store a lot of things digitally, you're going to have to invest in some form of external storage, period. It doesn't matter what kind of device it is, either you pay up for whatever extra storage you'll need, or you learn how to properly manage your stuff. I've faced this issue for years and years with mp3 players, laptops, memory cards, phones, tablets, etc., and I don't think I'm the only one either.

Yes, 32GB isn't a whole lot these days, but c'mon people, this is a freaking gaming forum. There's no way we can all be this dense when it comes to having to buy external storage.

K' Dash

I definitely agree with their vision, give me feature packed console and let me (the consumer) add the amount of storage I need/want.

I'm going physical on this, can't pass on those sweet cases, art and carts.

20cent

Banned
Yes, 32GB isn't a whole lot these days, but c'mon people, this is a freaking gaming forum. There's no way we can all be this dense when it comes to having to buy external storage.

welcometoneogaf.gif

I'm totally ok to buy "limited edition" crap, toys, useless gadgets I can proudly post on forums. But a 128GB card won't make anyone envy me on my Instagram/Tumblr feed or neogaf forums.

Mechazawa

And how would games play in handheld mode?

people need to understand that the design is tied to the form factor, This form factors has limitations, they are part of the console concept. you can't compare it to a classic home console.

You would either move games between drives or make due without the game in portable mode.

If you're willing to forgo a bigger sd card for more storage space, then you're willing to give up a little convenience. And id certainly take that trade over paying the same amount for 1/8th of storage.

Oh look, another Switch thread in which Sony console warriors are comparing apples to oranges in an attempt to troll.

@TheSpoiler: Hope you enjoy your Vita with its HUGE internal storage and cheap memory cards, my dude.

People shitted up every Vita thread about storage as well. People just seem obsessed with the idea that systems should come with huge amounts of on board storage. I really don't get the co plaint when you can add a ton of space for very little money.

Skronk

Banned
Until digital pricing isn't out of control on Nintendo systems I'll be buying carts mostly. I'll make the internal last a while.

I rarely used 50GB on my 2TB PS4 drive.

You literally kept 1 game installed at a time on your PS4 hard drive?

PS4 and Bone install every game to the hard drive, regardless if it's digital or physical. So you literally could only use 50 GB on your PS4 hard drive if you only had 1 game installed at a time.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
People shitted up every Vita thread about storage as well. People just seem obsessed with the idea that systems should come with huge amounts of on board storage. I really don't get the co plaint when you can add a ton of space for very little money.

Welll, correct me if I'm wrong, but technically Vita didn't have ANY internal storage at launch. That would make for a...severly different case, compared to Nintendo Switch's situation.

There's really no defending having only 32GB of on board storage. It's simply ridiculous. Even if you plan to go physical only, that 32GB will dry up very quickly due to patches and DLCs. And it's actually less than 32GB since the OS will already have used up some of the space.

There's really no defending having only 32GB of on board storage. It's simply ridiculous. Even if you plan to go physical only, that 32GB will dry up very quickly due to patches and DLCs. And it's actually less than 32GB since the OS will already have used up some of the space.

They probably have data showing a very big chunk of people won't ever need more, if you stick almost completely to physical (which I'd imagine a huge number of people will) 32gb will last

Ninja Dom

You've paid no attention to the Switch teardown thread have you? You haven't read any of the replies in this thread either.

You think that if the Switch had 64GB that would last you for potentially the next 4 or 5 years with digital downloads? You'd still have to buy a Micro SD.

jonno394

How much internal memory do you think Switch should have then?

D.Lo

How much internal memory do you think Switch should have then?
Haven't you been reading? It should have a 2TB mechanical HDD. It should also have an intel desktop CPU, be a VCR-sized PC-like box with fans that sound like a plane taking off, have the latest COD game, and be made by Sony ;)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
what was the stock amt of memory in a Switch? 25.6 gigs was it?

trying to see if i should get Zelda physical or digitally

EDIT: 25.9

Man, I'm so torn between going digital on Puyo Puyo Tetris to have it with me and just wanting to own that physical box :/
I'm in the exact same boat. I pre-ordered the physical and plan to pick it up digital first time it is on sale.

Hmm.. I guess I'm assuming you can convert physical to digital (move saves) without issues on the Switch. How well did that work on 3DS/WiiU? Not sure I ever went physical -> digital on the same software on either.

They probably have data showing a very big chunk of people won't ever need more, if you stick almost completely to physical (which I'd imagine a huge number of people will) 32gb will last

Sure if you don't buy DLC, and if patches for something like Splatoon 2 only unlock existing levels and weapons already on the cart.

I'm planning on going physical (carts are a lot less annoying than optical media) and I have a couple of spare micro sd cards I can use that I bought for other things... but 32 gigs is still pretty paltry.

64 would last a lot longer for people just buying physical, and sure, people downloading games would need to buy more pretty quickly, but at least it would have been in line with what current tablets and high end mobile phones ship with.

32 gigs isn't enough to hold one of the launch games. How many Skyrim mods are you going to fit on that? Etc etc.

Its not a deal breaker for me, obviously, and maybe it won't be for many, but I think it's a very legitimate complaint against the system.

I'm in the exact same boat. I pre-ordered the physical and plan to pick it up digital first time it is on sale.

Hmm.. I guess I'm assuming you can convert physical to digital (move saves) without issues on the Switch. How well did that work on 3DS/WiiU? Not sure I ever went physical -> digital on the same software on either.

There was a small handful of games that wouldn't let you copy the saves, but the majority did, and I'd guess that things will be different on the Switch because your save files are going to be in the internal memory no matter what, unlike the 3DS which could have saved data on the cart.

Sure if you don't buy DLC, and if patches for something like Splatoon 2 only unlock existing levels and weapons already on the cart.

I'm planning on going physical (carts are a lot less annoying than optical media) and I have a couple of spare micro sd cards I can use that I bought for other things... but 32 gigs is still pretty paltry.

64 would last a lot longer for people just buying physical, and sure, people downloading games would need to buy more pretty quickly, but at least it would have been in line with what current tablets and high end mobile phones ship with.

32 gigs isn't enough to hold one of the launch games. How many Skyrim mods are you going to fit on that? Etc etc.

Its not a deal breaker for me, obviously, and maybe it won't be for many, but I think it's a very legitimate complaint against the system.

First most $700 phones (iPhone 7, Pixel)and tablets still ship with 32GB as standard

OK, so 64GB's would last longer you say? Spend the whopping $10 on 32 GB more storage for $10.

See how easy that was?

Small sizes as expected from Nintendo. BTW, if you can't afford a 128Gb microsd for $40(or a cheap one for $20), have a bad news for you... Gaming is not a cheap hobby...

Twentieth

Small sizes as expected from Nintendo. BTW, if you can afford a 128Gb microsd for $40(or a cheap one for $20), have a bad news for you... Gaming is not a cheap hobby...

Always great to see someone defending a poor decision by a hardware manufacturer (which already costs $300) by saying "well, buy more, don't complain about it!" instead of suggesting that the company should include a reasonable amount of storage on a $300 device.

Edit: Imagine people with tons of SD cards (or more expansive ones) to be able to hold your Switch digital games collection. It's a console launching in 2017, where's the reasonable internal storage or HDD support?

First most $700 phones (iPhone 7, Pixel)and tablets still ship with 32GB as standard

OK, so 64GB's would last longer you say? Spend the whopping $10 on 32 GB more storage for $10.

See how easy that was?

I don't need to spend a penny, as I already said. Something doesn't need to effect me directly to be dumb. How many iPhone games can't fit on an iPhone?

Top Bottom