• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various eShop software download sizes for Nintendo Switch games

Wow so you just need to:
a)record your device serial, something Nintendo never advises you to do and
b)contact Nintendo hotline during business hours to quote your old and new serials.

That's SO easy and seamless compared to Sony and MS's system of "access your content from literally any console by signing in".

Thanks to those who pointed out the new and improved account system without being condescending and aggressive. You guys rock.
I stated that the convienice is now modernized with the MyNintendo account and the Switch. Now it is. No it wasn't the easiest but it definitely wasn't impossible. You aren't losing things forever as you yourself stated in the post I quoted.

Also for any major electronic device or appliance you should keep a record of your serial number. That's common sense. That's the first thing you'll need to tell the police and provide to insurance if something was lost or stolen...Why you think that falls on Nintendo to tell you is weird...

dtm808

There isn't any game on Xbox One or PS4 that's too large to fit on the internal storage the system ships with.

It's pathetic that the Switch only has 32 GB of flash memory - the same amount the Wii U shipped with in 2011. It should have a minimum of 64 GB of internal memory (though 128 would have been better).

They cant afford to make it hold 128GB or more without making the system cost $400+. Even if they did, you would still end up getting an SD card anyway if you planned on going digital.

Yeah cause it's as simple as comparing memory sizes. Not even considering that the Switch can possibly have games more than 10x the size of a vita game

This is the saddest attempt at goalpost moving I've ever seen. If Sony had a similar device to the Switch, their proprietary memory would be far more expensive and thus make it more expensive to buy external storage compared to the Switch and would still have the same problem with game sizes.

NolbertoS

Not sure why some GAFers are amazed. The 3DS came with a 2GB card that kinda pushes you to buy a bigger card if you want all digital. I expect SD cards to start dropping in price this year. Already 128GB aren't that expensive but I expect 256GB or 512GB card will be cheap 2017-2018. Not sure why people need more storage. I rarely used 50GB on my 2TB PS4 drive. I stream movies on Netflix or buy physical when there dirt cheap on BF. Games well, to each their own but I prefer all physical.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Already, there is a defense force.

Look, you probably can find SD cards for cheap, maybe 40 or 30 bucks to extend the room. Given how much one might download if going fully digital, though, maybe needing to upgrade to one that costs 60 or more might be necessary. Regardless, that's an extra price that other consoles don't carry, and some people are already penny pinching to buy this system or don't want to spend more.

Additionally, telling people "not to buy digital" is silly for a variety of reasons.

Well if the stock storage is below 32GB

DONT BUY DIGITAL.

I own about 50 physical disc games for my day 1 500gb ps4. I can play about 10 of them whenever i want.
It makes no sense owning those discs.
Since i have to install them and download huuge patches on their snailmail servers.

(I know they finally support external hdd but that still costs money)

My 3ds has about 4GB on storage.
However i own 40+ 3ds games
Which i can all play by simply plugging the game in.
Some games have extremely small patches.

The switch also supports cartridges so i really dont get your problem...
Nintendo has such crappy online pricing anyway.
They charge 45 euro's for a new game.

I can get new games in retail for 35 euro's

Illucio

Banned
Hmhm.. So average Wii U file sizes?

I can see data management being a problem long term, Nintendo is really hoping micro SD cards will become significantly cheaper in the next year or two aren't they?

I wish the Switch itself could hold up to at least 128GB on it's own.

Pokemaniac

Snipperclipps being over 1.5GB, does that mean there are a ton of assets and hence a ton of levels in that game? Isn't the file size kind of huge for that kind of game?

That's probably partially a Unity thing. The engine has a bit of a file size overhead.

Lucifon

Hmhm.. So average Wii U file sizes?

I can see data management being a problem long term, Nintendo is really hoping micro SD cards will become significantly cheaper in the next year or two aren't they?

I wish the Switch itself could hold up to at least 128GB on it's own.
Theyre already pretty cheap. Also I'm 99% sure this time they're letting you swap out sd cards on the fly. That said, a game requiring external storage from pretty much day 1 seems pretty insane.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Wow so you just need to:
a)record your device serial, something Nintendo never advises you to do and
b)contact Nintendo hotline during business hours to quote your old and new serials.

That's SO easy and seamless compared to Sony and MS's system of "access your content from literally any console by signing in".

Thanks to those who pointed out the new and improved account system without being condescending and aggressive. You guys rock.

but the times of doing this are over....

JoeM86

Yeah how dare a tablet form factor only be 32gb when that is the norm for that hardware. Oh wait. Just get a micro SD card, they're cheap.

A lot of people don't realise how impractical and even dangerous to a system having a physical hard drive would be to a hybrid device

They never, ever fucking learn.

Yeah they should ask Sony how to manage storage on an handheld form factor! And all these Nintendo fans will find a justification for this mess. Hey, It's 2017 nintendo goddammit!

Was I on point?

Dragon Quest just smells really bad optimization... From the size to the graphics, I can see a dirty port incoming.

Eusis

Curious about the size of Disgaea 5 now that I think about it. What bugs me with the Vita releases is that it SEEMS the audio for most battle clips is compressed, likely due to the 4gb cap to work with, but with a much higher one (and the games not exactly being the most space demanding relative to AAA titles) I hope we can avoid that this time.

Seil

Curious about the size of Disgaea 5 now that I think about it. What bugs me with the Vita releases is that it SEEMS the audio for most battle clips is compressed, likely due to the 4gb cap to work with, but with a much higher one (and the games not exactly being the most space demanding relative to AAA titles) I hope we can avoid that this time.

The site has Disgaea 5 Complete listed as 5.92 GB.

scamander

Banned
Oh look, another Switch thread in which Sony console warriors are comparing apples to oranges in an attempt to troll.

@TheSpoiler: Hope you enjoy your Vita with its HUGE internal storage and cheap memory cards, my dude.

Oh look, another Switch thread in which Sony console warriors are comparing apples to oranges in an attempt to troll.

@TheSpoiler: Hope you enjoy your Vita with its HUGE internal storage and cheap memory cards, my dude.

to be fair it is not about "sony console warriors". A lot of people just don't really understand how storage in such a form factor works. And the concept of hybrid may be too difficult to grasp to them. Nintendo said "home console" sot it must be "home console". And thus they compare these specs to a home console, aka apple to oranges.

And for some others shitposting in a switch thread must give them a shot of endorphin cause they really feel addict to that.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
to be fair it is not about "sony console warriors". A lot of people just don't really understand how storage in such a form factor works. And the concept of hybrid may be too difficult to grasp to them. Nintendo said "home console" sot it must be "home console". And thus they compare these specs to a home console, aka apple to oranges.

And for some others shitposting in a switch thread must give them a shot of endorphin cause they really feel addict to that.

in the day of tablets and smartphones it is incredible hard to believe that people don't understand that ._.

klier

Mario Kart only 7 Gig? Wow. What on earth are all those developers doing with these insanely big files for their games???!?!

Mario Kart AND BOTW total 20 Gig.

Pandy

Not sure why some GAFers are amazed. The 3DS came with a 2GB card that kinda pushes you to buy a bigger card if you want all digital. I expect SD cards to start dropping in price this year. Already 128GB aren't that expensive but I expect 256GB or 512GB card will be cheap 2017-2018. Not sure why people need more storage. I rarely used 50GB on my 2TB PS4 drive. I stream movies on Netflix or buy physical when there dirt cheap on BF. Games well, to each their own but I prefer all physical.
200GB-256GB cards can already be had for £30-£40 at sale prices. I got a 256GB Samsung card on e-bay for that price. Would have preffered a SanDisk, but they're mostly pushing the 200GB just now and I felt that would be too close to the amount of storage I used on my WiiU. (Calculated for another thread, can't remember now, I think it was about 181GB.)

If you're going fully digital that probably won't be enough, but as a mostly physical buyer who also digitally buys indies, VC games and the odd retail game in e-shop sales, it should see me through the lifetime of the Switch.

JnFnRu

Dragon Quest just smells really bad optimization... From the size to the graphics, I can see a dirty port incoming.

Ive never played a DQ before so I feel I need to give it a go as I only play on Nintendo (Or Mac) ... Heres hoping its at least an okayish port!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Do we know the size of ARMS yet?

I think I might be able to hold off buying a SD card until later this year. It also depends on if the gamecart speeds are bigger than SD card ones.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Reading the responses in this thread is painful. Like, seriously, what the fuck did you expect? Of course if you want to go digital on a handheld you'll need to buy extra memory. Why in gods name would you think otherwise? You are being completely unfair and unrealistic. There's a lot of things worth complaining about with the Switch. This isn't one of them.

deoee

Reading the responses in this thread is painful. Like, seriously, what the fuck did you expect? Of course if you want to go digital on a handheld you'll need to buy extra memory. Why in gods name would you think otherwise? You are being completely unfair and unrealistic. There's a lot of things worth complaining about with the Switch. This isn't one of them.

It is when a game does not fit on internal storage

You shouldn't be forced to spend another 30€+ to be able to play

Shahadan

Ive never played a DQ before so I feel I need to give it a go as I only play on Nintendo (Or Mac) ... Heres hoping its at least an okayish port!

This is not a "real" dragon quest though, it's a dynasty warriors game in the DQ universe. And no one needs to play those

Yeah that's dumb, I agree.

But you know, you can buy it physically. And the SD card won't be just for this one game.

Wasn't there something like that on Vita? some games could not even be played without one of those wonderful memory cards?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

This is not a "real" dragon quest though, it's a dynasty warriors game in the DQ universe. And no one needs to play those

Yeah, what Shahadan said. If you have a 3DS, between the DS and 3DS games, you can play a lot of the mainline games (IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X [an MMO, so a bit different], and eventually XI). If you'll only have a Switch, DQXI is probably going to be your best bet at getting a taste of the series.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

This is so obtuse. People were complaining about the 32gb before the size of this game was known. It was known ahead of time that extra memory was going to be needed to be purchased especially if you were going all digital. What modern handheld, tablet, phone doesn't play by these rules? The manufacture rarely eats the cost of putting expensive memory in the product (which still won't be enough), they sell the product for a higher price to compensate, or they pass the cost into the consumer. If you weren't expecting this with the switch before it was even announced idk what to tell you.

But you know, you can buy it physically. And the SD card won't be just for this one game.

Wasn't there something like that on Vita? some games could not even be played without one of those wonderful memory cards?

You couldn't save games at all without a memory card, because the Vita didn't have any internal storage to speak of (at least, not any that wasn't reserved by the system itself).

massoluk

Banned
Haha, yeah, lost in all of these is the fact that DQ Heroes were just average games. They are not real DQ, but are also too slow pace and complicated for Musou

EloquentM

aka Mannny

The original vita had no useable onboard memory. You HAD to purchase a proprietary expensive card

Haunted

The fridge is back, baby.

Terrible look for Nintendo on this one. I routinely have trouble with my 500GB PS4 HDD, can't even imagine how brutal it's going to be to go digital with Nintendo's new hardware.

*insert snarky comment about the space being enough because there won't be AAA games/third party titles to fill it anyway*

flohen95

You aren't, you can just buy the game on a card instead of buying a card to put the game on.

For a portable machine, this isn't new, either. PSP and Vita both have no internal memory at all and you can't even save games without buying expensive memory cards, even if you bought them physically. The 3DS comes with a small amount of internal memory and a standard 2 GB SD card, but (had it launched with the eShop, which it of course didn't), I'm fairly certain there would have been a game that would not fit on the 1.whatever GB that you actually get to use.

I know precedent doesn't mean everything and that two (three) wrongs don't make a right, but this isn't some outrages concept, this isn't Nintendo "skimping", breaking conventions and norms and specifically trying to fuck any of you over. It's an unfortunate reality of the way pricing on portable gaming machines works.

And the thing is this: There IS a workaround. You are NOT forced to buy additional memory right out of the gate (like you were with the Vita, let's say). You only force yourself, because there are other ways to play DQH1+2 on the Nintendo Switch.

ayyy lmao

image.php

edit : gotcha

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
On 3DS I have 1 full retail digital game. I can't fit any more full retail digital titles on it without buying an SD card. Please explain to me how that is any better than Switch.

JnFnRu

Yeah, what Shahadan said. If you have a 3DS, between the DS and 3DS games, you can play a lot of the mainline games (IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X [an MMO, so a bit different], and eventually XI). If you'll only have a Switch, DQXI is probably going to be your best bet at getting a taste of the series.

Thanks, I'll probably hold out for XI in that case.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The fridge is back, baby.

Terrible look for Nintendo on this one. I routinely have trouble with my 500GB PS4 HDD, can't even imagine how brutal it's going to be to go digital with Nintendo's new hardware.

*insert snarky comment about the space being enough because there won't be AAA games/third party titles to fill it anyway*
Games will be a lot smaller than PS4 in general though. Doubt we'll routinely be seeing 50gb games on Switch.

Bazry

Anyone buying digital versions of games at extra cost is not going to worry about having to buy extra storage, people just love to complain about anything

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
What? Bought Pheonix Wright Trilogy digital. Went to buy Luigi's Mansion digital and it wouldn't fit. That's the extent of my digital 3DS library aside from a bunch of VC games that no doubt have very tiny file sizes. Just like wity Switch, if you were serious about digital on 3DS you needed extra memory.

Haunted

image.php

edit : gotcha
my first reaction, still valid :p

Games will be a lot smaller than PS4 in general though. Doubt we'll routinely be seeing 50gb games on Switch.
That said, Switch has less than 1/10th of the space out of the box and I somehow doubt we'll see 1/10th on average in terms of game sizes.

That said, the Switch does support external HDDs if you want to use it purely as a home console (as I intend to), right? So there's that possibility at least.

Top Bottom