• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various eShop software download sizes for Nintendo Switch games

If you're supposed to buy an SD card why bother including any memory for saving content on the system at all? Nintendo could of saved so much money by only including only 8 GB of flash for the OS and nothing for games or DLC the system would of been so much cheaper!
Because the average consumer will buy only a couple downloadable games, and will need room for patches/DLC. If you buy your games physically you probably won't need an SD card for a while. If you want to buy digitally, it's a necessity. Exactly the same as 3DS

I was gonna buy Zelda physical but with all the announced DLC, I will probably get it digital.

The eMMC should provide enough storage for my purchases until at least summer.

jonno394

You know what i find amusing, all these complaints about "Already a game that fills up the memory" and it's not even been announced to be coming to the west yet! So no, day 1 and likely up to day 100 and beyond, there won't be a game in the West that uses up all they system space.

Roo

Do you think HDD external could come later. There is a USB port on the dock you could use (and transferred only game you need on SD/internal)

I mean, potential HDD support down the road doesn't seem that far fetched (the option at least would be damn nice) but it certainly goes against the whole "undock and play whenever-wherever you want" premise of the console.

Unless they find a way to transfer a game super fast, it'd be cumbersome if you have a big game saved on the HDD and you're in a hurry to take the console with you (say, a family trip or early in the morning for work) where you don't really have enough time to do the transfer.

Not to mention the potential damage to the game, saves or the console itself if you undock the system while playing from your HDD by accident or else.

Chindogg

You know what i find amusing, all these complaints about "Already a game that fills up the memory" and it's not even been announced to be coming to the west yet! So no, day 1 and likely up to day 100 and beyond, there won't be a game in the West that uses up all they system space.

It's also two games in a single package, but that's irrelevant.

Dudes were waiting to shit on this the second they heard 32gb. Yet no one wants to look at the fucking tear down and ask themselves "where are they going to put all this storage I demand?" Hell some are still shitting on the battery life despite the battery being literally half the goddamn form factor. It's a miracle how they crammed so much into a tiny ass box but folks are still on the "it needs to be PS4 in a 3DS form factor for $200" train without any actual logic or reasoning behind it.

I mean, potential HDD support down the road doesn't seem that far fetched (the option at least would be damn nice) but it certainly goes against the whole "undock and play whenever-wherever you want" premise of the console.

Unless they find a way to transfer a game super fast, it'd be cumbersome if you have a big game saved on the HDD and you're in a hurry to take the console with you (say, a family trip or early in the morning for work) where you don't really have enough time to do the transfer.

Not to mention the potential damage to the game, saves or the console itself if you undock the system while playing from your HDD by accident or else.

IIRC there was some interview or write up about adding external HDD support via firmware update.

I believe saves are stored on the internal memory even for digital games, so at least that should be able to avoid corruption. And games/patches would be read-only once downloaded, so most of the time nothing will be writing to disk. And it would be powered by the dock, so undocking the console wouldn't cause sudden power loss. It would be the same as unplugging a 3DS (or even Switch!) cartridge while the game is running, theoretically.

...well this thread was an interesting read :p But you can't deny that 32 GB is a paltry amount. However, thing is, even if they included a bit more, you'd still need a microSD card for more storage if you're planning on going all digital. There was no way they could've put in an SSD or an HDD into the Switch, considering it's form factor. I'll agree that they could've include a microSD card though. Like at least enough to last people for a while before the library really pics

Patches? How much space is that gonna take? They're in gigs this generation.

Well, good news is, devs are gonna need to cut the damn fat out of patches, because they don't need to be anywhere near what they are this gen to do what they need to do.

Blu-rays and hard drives in the X1/PS4 have caused devs to become exceptionally lazy about compression and fat trimming with game data. It's one of those few areas where "lazy devs" is actually a valid argument.

It's also two games in a single package, but that's irrelevant.

Dudes were waiting to shit on this the second they heard 32gb. Yet no one wants to look at the fucking tear down and ask themselves "where are they going to put all this storage I demand?" Hell some are still shitting on the battery life despite the battery being literally half the goddamn form factor. It's a miracle how they crammed so much into a tiny ass box but folks are still on the "it needs to be PS4 in a 3DS form factor for $200" train without any actual logic or reasoning behind it.

IIRC there was some interview or write up about adding external HDD support via firmware update.
It's pretty freaking stupid, tbh. The device is a neat piece of tech, it's pretty amazing what they were able to do with it. Expecting a PS4 caliber console that seamlessly works as a portable and costs as much as 3DS was always an insane pipe dream. I get that some people just wanted them to make a PS4 equivalent, but they didn't, and this is the device. No amount of whining here is gonna change that.

Brenal

It surprises me that the 32GB game cards will be avaliable at launch, this leads me to believe that pretty soon we will get 64gb cards whose capacity is higher than the XB1 and PS4's blu-rays, will be the first time that nintendo will have a higher capacity media than the one of the competition.

Yowza, seems like a hefty (and pricey!) 128 or 256GB SD card might not take long to fill.

A carry case with cartridge slots is a bad option IMO. If my $470 console gets lost or stolen, I don't want to lose another $500 worth of games at the same time.

Not that digital is all that great an option with Nintendo. If anything happens to my PlayStation or Xbox, I can buy a new console for $300 and get my digital content back in no time. If my Wii or 3DS is lost or stolen, my digital content is gone forever. Hopefully Nintendo addresses this with the Switch.
Man...How uninformed are some of you guys still?? If you have a MyNintendo account (or a grandfathered Club Nintendo account that is now a MyNintendo account) then your purchases were logged with your account. My first Wii bricked...I got a replacement from Nintendo and they restored the licenses to the new system. My second Wii was stolen. I gave the serial number of the Wii to Nintendo and so on my 3rd Wii my purchases were restored. I am not the only person this has happened to or for. If you were to call Nintendo back then and had a serial number for the console's involved you were good to go. This whole "my digital content is gone forever" is some stupid shenanigans that was not true. The account stuff has been around. Thankfully the convince has now been modernized with the Switch. But don't act as if you were left in the wind with no options beforehand. Sick of people feigning ignorance over things that aren't really that difficult to process.

Drensch

Everyone knows investing early on storage is the best deal. Paying for 64,128, 256 gigs packed in early on totally would have paid off later. It's not like this stuff drops in price precipitously.

jonno394

It surprises me that the 32GB game cards will be avaliable at launch, this leads me to believe that pretty soon we will get 64gb cards whose capacity is higher than the XB1 and PS4's blu-rays, will be the first time that nintendo will have a higher capacity media than the one of the competition.

Hard to imagine what games on switch would need the 64gb card outside of things like CoD and Assassin's Creed if they get released on it.

Xenoblade X had things you downloaded because of disc space limitations to make performance better, maybe Xenoblade 2 may need the 64gb space too?

I guess it's not quite as bad as on Vita but it's still bad when the internal storage is so small that you have to write that a secondary memory storage is required, especially since it can cost quite a bit depending on how big the extra storage is.

I think the jury is still out on that

Pokemaniac

God this "I have to have my entire library on my device at all times or else" stuff is giving me Vita flashbacks.....

The fact that I actually had to start deleting stuff from my 3DS recently due to the annoying 300 title limit is actually a pretty significant portion of the reason I'm annoyed that that is the system that's still receiving games and not Wii U. It's completely irrational (especially because like half the things I have installed are demos...), but this mindset is actually kind of a significant thing for me.

Brenal

Hard to imagine what games on switch would need the 64gb card outside of things like CoD and Assassin's Creed if they get released on it.

Xenoblade X had things you downloaded because of disc space limitations to make performance better, maybe Xenoblade 2 may need the 64gb space too?
Xenoblade X downloads were the equivalent of installs in the other consoles, so i doubt a 64gb card filling game will be released on the switch as i said the industry standard is bluray 50gb, at the very least capacity concerns wont be a roadblock to port games.

Edit:beaten...

Just to note, at least one revision of the Switch will very likely have UFS Card support. UFS hasn't been released yet and we'll have to wait until Samsung releases their first mobile device supporting it, but while it'll be expensive at first, UFS is going to be second-only to SSDs in terms of speed and reliability.

It's pretty freaking stupid, tbh. The device is a neat piece of tech, it's pretty amazing what they were able to do with it. Expecting a PS4 caliber console that seamlessly works as a portable and costs as much as 3DS was always an insane pipe dream. I get that some people just wanted them to make a PS4 equivalent, but they didn't, and this is the device. No amount of whining here is gonna change that.

Oh, absolutely, the Switch is the beefiest fucking handheld ever. Its successor will hopefully be a PS4+ device, and that's gonna be crazy, even if the competition will have moved on in terms of power by that point.

Cuburt

If you plan on downloading your games, especially retail, it's pretty much expected that you need to buy extra storage.

I actually think them allowing download sizes to be bigger than the onboard storage is a good thing since that limitation on the Wii prevented people from putting their games on the system. That being said, I think if devs can keep the sizes to 32GB (the largest cart size for now) it will make going all digital more tolerable, at least until until SD card prices come down and sizes expand.

Hopefully SD card sizes expand quickly beyond 258GB, because while those sizes aren't too bad, they start adding up quickly. My space on the 3DS never became a problem for me because the game sizes were pretty tolerable, but going all digital on the Switch will become a case of cleaning out the refrigerator soon enough. I wonder if Nintendo will add the ability to swap microSD cards or if we'd have to delete and redownload. Nintendo did mention that HDD functionality could potentially be added later so that might be a possible solution as well, although that's less than ideal for a machine that's supposed to be portable but if it's easy to transfer games between the HDD and the microSD, it could work.

oti

Banned
Snipperclipps being over 1.5GB, does that mean there are a ton of assets and hence a ton of levels in that game? Isn't the file size kind of huge for that kind of game?

Chindogg

You have to be fucking joking.

Vita had zero onboard memory and used expensive as hell proprietary memory sticks.

Switch at least has (admittedly an underwhelming) 32GB out of the box and uses a standard cheap SD format for it's secondary memory, with possibly adding external HDD functionality with a firmware update.

These threads have been producing some real doozies lately. Sheesh.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Didn't expect it to be big but happy to see Puyo Puyo Tetris is a good size so I can keep it on the system when I inevitably get around to purchasing it.

You have to be fucking joking.

Vita had zero onboard memory and used expensive as hell proprietary memory sticks.

Switch at least has (admittedly an underwhelming) 32GB out of the box and uses a standard cheap SD format for it's secondary memory, with possibly adding external HDD functionality with a firmware update.

These threads have been producing some real doozies lately. Sheesh.

We also have people like you who think "SD cards are cheap" and don't seem to think beyond that. In the OP there is a 15gb game and a 30+gb game. Is it really a "doozy" to say that additional memory for the Switch can be as costly as the vita?

KHlover

Banned
How is the jury still out on that? Reminder that the first Vita had NO usable internal memory whatsoever and used expensive proprietary cards, without which you couldn't even save your game and which were NOT bundled with the console.

In later years this was both fixed, but at launch...awful.

We're talking about memory card prices in relation to the average size of games

How big is the largest downloadable game on the vita?

The problem is with your attempted comparison is the difference in requirements for game sizes, considering the Switch is a considerable leap ahead of the Vita, and even then, the 3DS had internal storage when the Vita had jack shit. If Sony was still making handhelds, I bet they'd not only still be using proprietary memory card formats, those card formats would make microSD at similar capacities look like a fucking bargain, it was sure as hell the case with the Vita memory vs SD cards.

SD/MiniSD/MicroSD is the cheapest and overall best format for portable storage right now, until UFS both comes out and becomes cheap enough that the speed and reliability advantages make it the new standard.

GLAMr

Man...How uninformed are some of you guys still?? If you have a MyNintendo account (or a grandfathered Club Nintendo account that is now a MyNintendo account) then your purchases were logged with your account. My first Wii bricked...I got a replacement from Nintendo and they restored the licenses to the new system. My second Wii was stolen. I gave the serial number of the Wii to Nintendo and so on my 3rd Wii my purchases were restored. I am not the only person this has happened to or for. If you were to call Nintendo back then and had a serial number for the console's involved you were good to go. This whole "my digital content is gone forever" is some stupid shenanigans that was not true. The account stuff has been around. Thankfully the convince has now been modernized with the Switch. But don't act as if you were left in the wind with no options beforehand. Sick of people feigning ignorance over things that aren't really that difficult to process.

Wow so you just need to:
a)record your device serial, something Nintendo never advises you to do and
b)contact Nintendo hotline during business hours to quote your old and new serials.

That's SO easy and seamless compared to Sony and MS's system of "access your content from literally any console by signing in".

Thanks to those who pointed out the new and improved account system without being condescending and aggressive. You guys rock.

JoeM86

We also have people like you who think "SD cards are cheap" and don't seem to think beyond that. In the OP there is a 15gb game and a 30+gb game. Is it really a "doozy" to say that additional memory for the Switch can be as costly as the vita?

Considering a 256GB Vita card cost almost as much as the system while a 256GB SD card costs about $50...yes it really is a "doozy"

16gb Vita memory card is $39.99 new...still...
32gb is brand new $79.99 at GameStop currently...
Who even knows what the 64gb price is.
An 8gb Vita card, like the one that came with the bundled Vita TV is completely worthless...

This is what you claim the jury is still out on in comparison to the Switch which allows micro SD expansion and the likely support of external hdd's?

No the jury been passed a verdict when the 3DS supported SD/Micro SD cards bro. Not sure what you are trying to suggest otherwise...

Considering a 256GB Vita card cost almost as much as the system while a 256GB SD card costs about $50...yes it really is a "doozy"

Yeah cause it's as simple as comparing memory sizes. Not even considering that the Switch can possibly have games more than 10x the size of a vita game

massoluk

Banned
We're talking about memory card prices in relation to the average size of games

How big is the largest downloadable game on the vita?

Huh,last few times any of the big three limited the game download sizes, those were so well received

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

wait, there was a 256GB vita card? I only know of 64GB and I paid 100€ for that in 2013.

i can get a 200GB micro SD for 77€ right now on amazon. I'd say that's a good deal.

Top Bottom