• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various eShop software download sizes for Nintendo Switch games

Its a valid complaint but its also something easily alleviated. Most of yall have $400 android phones and tablets with a SD card in there just because it has an SD Card slot.

Yall continue to call everything a defense force yet somebody just simply stating the other options and how it relates to what we already do and own. Nothing wrong with complaining.. also nothing wrong with seeing the other side as well.

So much hypocrisy

Telling others what they should do with their purchase or telling them that they should be used to buying more memory if they go that route isn't really stating an opinion, it's shutting other people's opinions down. What I stated was opinion. If you read what I wrote, in fact, you'd see that there's nothing wrong with being okay or not okay with it. It's just the people telling others that they need to be okay or do something that's not conductive to them being a consumer is absolutely silly.

I have an iPhone, and I haven't had a SD card laying around in years. My friend has a few , but none above like 8GBs. You are assuming too much.

Doctre81

Why is the Zelda: Breath of the Wild file size on Switch only slightly larger than the Wii U version?

13.4 GB vs 13 GB.

Are there really no graphical improvements other than native 900p vs 720p ?

File size means nothing. Galaxy 2 has a smaller size that galaxy 1.

Look, you probably can find SD cards for cheap, maybe 40 or 30 bucks to extend the room. Given how much one might download if going fully digital, though, maybe needing to upgrade to one that costs 60 or more might be necessary. Regardless, that's an extra price that other consoles don't carry, and some people are already penny pinching to buy this system or don't want to spend more.

There is no easy solution to this problem. If you upped to 64gb you're looking at needing an SD card after 2 games instead of 1 (in a worst case scenario where you wanted Dragon Quest and BOTW as your first two games). There's no room for an HDD. And upping to like 128gb or beyond is now becoming quite costly to manufacture and will be a cost passed on to consumers. Nintendo didn't plan for the edge case of the biggest games, which is unfortunate for all-digital consumers, but they're not the average case. From a market perspective, I can't think of anything Nintendo could do to solve the issue without just eating a loss on hardware sales.

There is one benefit here though, which is that when you go physical, you go physical. On PS4/XBO every game is installed, even physical, and some games are easily breaking 60GB after updates. If you've got PS+ / XBLG then your storage has been overflowing for years at this point.

Lol, yes, let us put external memory into the DETACHABLE JOYCONS

giphy.gif

Hattori

Banned
lol somehow I knew this thread would end up like this...

On topic, I would still get DQ Heroes I-II even if it's a lazy port...

bounchfx

Should've cut the HD rumble and motion control crap and put a decent sized storage solution inside. Such a strange thing to skimp on in 2017.

god no
"let's remove some of the important unique features of the system that it's been proven to do well in favor of something that's rather cheap and clearly very optional"

I mean like, why didn't vita just use a game boy SP screen and give us 1tb storage

Garou

So why are people here comparing the portable Switch with the stationary PS4 and XB1 that both carry spinning harddrives that alone would take half of the volume of the Switch itself?

Why is the Zelda: Breath of the Wild file size on Switch only slightly larger than the Wii U version?

13.4 GB vs 13 GB.

Are there really no graphical improvements other than native 900p vs 720p ?

On Wii U there's also a mandatory 300mb or so install in order to improve the load times.

Matt

Not after buying one game. But I agree that you should be able to boot the games from disc on XB1 and PS4, made a thread about it once, that mandatory full game install is incredibly annoying when the hdd is starting to fill up.
Still, you're more likely to go all digital on a portable console so it's not ideal that one single download can fill up the internal storage.
Sony and MS didn't make that decision to be jerks.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
So why are people here comparing the portable Switch with the stationary PS4 and XB1 that both carry spinning harddrives that alone would take half of the volume of the Switch itself?
Who's talking about mechanical HDDs?

Put an SSD in there, Nintendo. Do it.

Nope. I'm glad you weren't involved in the design process for this device. I'll spend $15 and triple my storage, while keeping both of those features intact.

With several Japanese developers praising the hardware bundled with the Switch at the current price point, I feel even more confident in what I'm getting out of the box. I get that memory expansion is an additional expenditure, and that can be frustrating, but the Switch is still two weeks away and the memory it supports is not at all proprietary.

Your inability to adress the argument suggests you're not interested in discussion, rather than transparently poor attempts at concern trolling.

So Nintendo call a chicken a dog its a dog?

This is no longer a discussion. Sorry, but Nintendo has labeled it a console (well, a hybrid, but still). The product stands with console like features, and thus, it acts as one when you dock it. If you want to play cute and say "oh it's only a tablet or whatever", that still doesn't undermine my overall point which is that some consumers might not like this because it costs them more.

This isn't even a discussion about what I was originally stating. Nor is it concern trolling. But I'll leave you both to play semantics or whatever in the corner. Have fun!

There is no easy solution to this problem. If you upped to 64gb you're looking at needing an SD card after 2 games instead of 1 (in a worst case scenario where you wanted Dragon Quest and BOTW as your first two games). There's no room for an HDD. And upping to like 128gb or beyond is now becoming quite costly to manufacture and will be a cost passed on to consumers. Nintendo didn't plan for the edge case of the biggest games, which is unfortunate for all-digital consumers, but they're not the average case. From a market perspective, I can't think of anything Nintendo could do to solve the issue without just eating a loss on hardware sales.

There is one benefit here though, which is that when you go physical, you go physical. On PS4/XBO every game is installed, even physical, and some games are easily breaking 60GB after updates. If you've got PS+ / XBLG then your storage has been overflowing for years at this point.

I mean, I fully realize that they'd have to eat the cost once they go over. And they really can't account for third party games going that high. But at the same time, 64 would have at least edged out the room, as not AS many games hit that limit (but still do).

I get that's it's a damned if you do damned if you don't, but that's kinda how it is with consoles. Like you said, I get more space on my PS4, but I still have to install my games.

I do disagree about not being the average case. Nintendo owners probably don't care and are used to this, but newcomers playing third party and going digital in an increasingly digital world are going to not like the initial storage.

Vitacat

Digital is a mistake on Nintendo systems. Buy physical. You'll save a ton of money via sales, wont need to buy a big Sd card, maintain ability to trade, lend or resell your games, and you'll have nice box art to display.

Yep. On PS4 and XB1, I'm physical for every game, save for digital exclusive titles and I've had to purchase additional hard drives for both. It's completely ridiculous. With Switch, I'm going physical whenever I have the chance and I'll only need to purchase one microSD card for no more than $20, mainly for Virtual Console stuff. It's great and I'm incredibly happy about that.

Telling others what they should do with their purchase or telling them that they should be used to buying more memory if they go that route isn't really stating an opinion, it's shutting other people's opinions down. What I stated was opinion. If you read what I wrote, in fact, you'd see that there's nothing wrong with being okay or not okay with it. It's just the people telling others that they need to be okay or do something that's not conductive to them being a consumer is absolutely silly.

I have an iPhone, and I haven't had a SD card laying around in years. My friend has a few , but none above like 8GBs. You are assuming too much.
I didnt assume anything at all. I didnt say you owned an android. Maybe read what i said.
This is no longer a discussion. Sorry, but Nintendo has labeled it a console (well, a hybrid, but still). The product stands with console like features, and thus, it acts as one when you dock it. If you want to play cute and say "oh it's only a tablet or whatever", that still doesn't undermine my overall point which is that some consumers might not like this because it costs them more.

This isn't even a discussion about what I was originally stating. Nor is it concern trolling. But I'll leave you both to play semantics or whatever in the corner. Have fun!
Oh aight then. peace

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Digital is a mistake on Nintendo systems. Buy physical. You'll save a ton of money via sales, wont need to buy a big Sd card, maintain ability to trade, lend or resell your games, and you'll have nice box art to display.
lol.. Imagine not going digital for games like Smash or Mario Kart. I'm not tagging along with a bunch of cartridges if I can have the evergreens already installed on the system. Not even including a hopefully big VC library.

Or i can go full digital and and when i take my switch to a friends house i dont have to carry game cases when we play party games. plus game cases take up way to much space when you buy as many games as i do im full digital on 3ds, wii u, ps4, and xb1 and outside of what i buy at launch most of my switch games will be digital.

Makonero

I've already preordered a physical copy of Zelda, but I plan on on going strategically digital. Games I want all the time (party games, Splatoon, etc) are digital. Games I plan on playing once and then put away will b physical. I have bought a 128 gb microsdxc card in anticipation so I hope I'll have a long time before I have to clean out the fridge.

Lothars

It's not just a portable system, they want to have the benefits of it being a home console and a handheld but than screw people by forcing them to buy storage.

It's really dissapointing and shortsighted by Nintendo and the worst part is you and other nintendo fans say it's ok and defend them when it's a bad move.

1- physical Nintendo games are more expensive than any other company here; 2- sales also never happen; 3- I never sell my games.

Nah, the game is fine.

Game is fine, download size inst. But thats par the course for current gen titles so I deal.

Any way Im glad im going physical for most purchases. Have Prime so games wont be as expensive and the 128gb card I have will last with the downloadable titles I get.

bounchfx

I'm gonna go ahead and let the individual customer decide here. Some of us don't want to have to carry around carts, and don't care about trading or reselling. I personally don't want more boxes cluttering up my life. 3DS has been awesome to own games digital because all I need is the system itself and not a pocket full of carts.

but here's the good news, we can do either or :D

I've already preordered a physical copy of Zelda, but I plan on on going strategically digital. Games I want all the time (party games, Splatoon, etc) are digital. Games I plan on playing once and then put away will b physical. I have bought a 128 gb microsdxc card in anticipation so I hope I'll have a long time before I have to clean out the fridge.

exactly. I think stuff like Splatoon, Smash, MK8, etc will be great to have digital

baberunisei

Man, I'm so torn between going digital on Puyo Puyo Tetris to have it with me and just wanting to own that physical box :/

I think it's better to go physical with this one, since the chance of it being pulled from digital stores anytime in the future is a relevant risk, given the always troubled Tetris license

Fredrik

Sony and MS didn't make that decision to be jerks.
I've heard some explanation that the blu-ray drives are too slow but running from disc worked perfectly on WiiU, which also used some kind of blu-ray drive, so why was the installs mandatory on PS4 and XB1?

Top Bottom