• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X |OT| Yippee Kai Yay ************

bombshell

not up for me yet. I'm doing the xbone way of hard resetting everything, and try again :)

edit: ps4 stlll shows last month's games. I guess needs a little time to refresh servers

Use search, you can't find it in the categories yet but it's there if you use search.

kyser73

Yeah baby! Had to search for it as the store still showing August, but on the dl now!

Only 29 mins to wait! Time for more Kill la Kill on netflix.

SerTapTap

I'm having a little trouble with teleporting. The cursor seems to move faster than the original and it's throwing me off.

90% of the time you want to teleport almost immediately anyway not wait for the cursor. Try it and see if you get a hang for it. Teleporting should be reflex-based for most situations. You have to slow down a lot to actually aim the cursor.

ZeroX03

Banned
Gave it a whirl on PS4 (Vita's Wi-Fi is so bad, DL hasn't finished) and yeah it looks beautiful, but I just can't play without the touchpad. I can gold the early stages but the later ones will be murder, I'm assuming.

SerTapTap

Gave it a whirl on PS4 (Vita's Wi-Fi is so bad, DL hasn't finished) and yeah it looks beautiful, but I just can't play without the touchpad. I can gold the early stages but the later ones will be murder, I'm assuming.

I really don't understand what you guys want to do with the touch pad. As I said, just try teleporting as soon as the reticle moves. Treat warping in the ship just like you do in the platforming segments. Get right up to the wall you want to teleport to, press the teleport button while moving in the direction you want to go, release, you should be where you want to be.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Really wish I could customize the controls. Just can't seem to manage warping with square while firing with X. Would love to move warping to L1.

Letep

I played this last night and had a great time. After a little while, the controls really clicked, and I began to get better and better.

Can't wait to play more. Especially the platforming sections. Fast and fun!

9516722140_d4df748188_b.jpg

Great OT man :) I've heard really good things about this game, I'll definitely try it

ZeroX03

Banned
I really don't understand what you guys want to do with the touch pad. As I said, just try teleporting as soon as the reticle moves. Treat warping in the ship just like you do in the platforming segments. Get right up to the wall you want to teleport to, press the teleport button while moving in the direction you want to go, release, you should be where you want to be.

I was referring to using touch for instantaneous teleporting. Using a finger to touch on Vita is faster and more accurate for me. Managed to platinum Velocity Ultra on Vita, but playing on PS4 it just feels a lot more inaccurate and slower, killing my momentum .

DBT85

I was referring to using touch for instantaneous teleporting. Using a finger to touch on Vita is faster and more accurate for me. Managed to platinum Velocity Ultra on Vita, but playing on PS4 it just feels a lot more inaccurate and slower, killing my momentum .

I tried doing that, I could never do it fast enough. With Square however, blammo!

Empty

damn. this game looks so good. i figured they'd gone as far as they could with velocity ultra on vita. wish i had a ps4 to see what it looks like on there.

like the pace of the new platforming sections and the jumps into that area but need to get my head round using the right stick to shoot while running and jumping and teleporting.

ZeroX03

Banned
I tried doing that, I could never do it fast enough. With Square however, blammo!

Maybe it's the fighting gamer's innate ability to play pads with the claw, I can have a finger hovering over the screen at all times ready to tap.

What I don't like so far: the briefness of the levels coupled with the amount of menus and cutscens between each level. I can blast through a stage in a minute or two; after that, mashing through the menus and story stuff (yes, I know you can skip it, but it's still there as a roadblock) is a bit of a pain, especially considering the story hasn't grabbed me in the slightest so far. This really feels like a game that should have just given a quick text crawl to set the stage and then let you loose on the levels, arcade style.

By about 15-20 the levels start to get a lot longer. In fact I really wanted them to be shorter and having multiple on foot sections became a chore.

I think there is a real good game in here for people with the right mind set. For people like me without the patience or drive to master it? I just don't think the "mix" is quite right. I'd much prefer if it dropped one of the speed/shooting/running sections and ramped up the depth/polished the design.

I feel it is the type of game that you need to play the "right way" to enjoy. If you try to do anything different or can't settle into the groove, it'll come up short and get repetitive pretty fast. But I get the feeling I'll be sitting by myself in not liking this one :)

SerTapTap

Really wish I could customize the controls. Just can't seem to manage warping with square while firing with X. Would love to move warping to L1.

You shouldn't really need to do that very often. I almost never fire with X honestly, though it's preferable sometimes, I prefer to use the right stick for bombs.

The touchpad wouldn't be the same as the Vita for teleporting though. Touch teleport still works on Vita, though as I've complained before, remote play on PS4 doesn't enable touch teleporting even though it could.

ZeroX03

Banned
The touchpad wouldn't be the same as the Vita for teleporting though. Touch teleport still works on Vita, though as I've complained before, remote play on PS4 doesn't enable touch teleporting even though it could.

Well my Vita copy finished downloading, so I guess it doesn't really matter now? I get to play using the controls I like, I just won't be touching the PS4 version.

oggob

Picked up the Day 1 DLC and Digital Soundtrack on the Store to support Futurlab... ao at least they have some money from me.

Downloaded onto the Vita and ready to go... now time to go to sleep and I'll play on the way to work.

Played this a bit last night, went into it blind, not knowing anything. Got to level 12, was digging it. Love the idea of 2 different styles of gameplay working together.

Thought it took a bit too long to get going ,very slow start. Was even starting to think "is there even enemies in this game?". Also, find it a bit jarring going from using the right stick to shoot while platforming, then jumping in the ship and using X to shoot. I'm sure there's a reason for this, and Im positive I'll get used to it.

Will definitely be putting some time into it, seems like theres a lot more depth to it than the early levels let on.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Game is amazing and everything I imagined a sequel of Velocity Ultra to be.

SerTapTap

Played this a bit last night, went into it blind, not knowing anything. Got to level 12, was digging it. Love the idea of 2 different styles of gameplay working together.

Thought it took a bit too long to get going ,very slow start. Was even starting to think "is there even enemies in this game?". Also, find it a bit jarring going from using the right stick to shoot while platforming, then jumping in the ship and using X to shoot. I'm sure there's a reason for this, and Im positive I'll get used to it.

Will definitely be putting some time into it, seems like theres a lot more depth to it than the early levels let on.

Try the right stick while in the ship. The controls are closer than you think.

Also, enemies are very much not a focus and barely a threat. Only in much later levels will they be more than a minor obstacle. It's about going fast, not beating enemies. Like Sonic, except there's no spikes you run into, because it's designed properly.

Try the right stick while in the ship. The controls are closer than you think.

Also, enemies are very much not a focus and barely a threat. Only in much later levels will they be more than a minor obstacle. It's about going fast, not beating enemies. Like Sonic, except there's no spikes you run into, because it's designed properly.

Oh sweet, thanks for this! Turns out I was playing sonic wrong too....

SerTapTap

Oh sweet, thanks for this! Turns out I was playing sonic wrong too....

Sonic doesn't know how to play Sonic either. It's always been a weird inconsistency in the 2D games. They're great, but they too often ruin the sense of speed and skill with BS enemy/spike placement.

kyser73

This game is the tits.

Art style is gorgeous, it's quick, fun and I know I'm a proper session away from really nailing the controls (0031 here in Aus and I have to be up at 0630h.

The best thing of all - this has given me my gaming mojo back. Since the consoles arrived on the ship the PS3 gas lain dormant and I've had a few desultory attempts at TLOU:R, Resogun, Strider...in fact most of my PS4 games, and it wasn't clicking...now it is.

I'm a happy bunny indeed.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Speed is overrated in Sonic. I love them because they're great well designed platformers. I always felt speed wa the selling point, but not what made the games good.

SerTapTap

Wait, hold the fucking phone. You can't use the touch screen to teleport when on foot on Vita!?

Why could you? It's fixed-distance on foot. You would break a lot of puzzles and possibly get stuck by being able to teleport like you can in the ship.

Speed is overrated in Sonic. I love them because they're great well designed platformers. I always felt speed wa the selling point, but not what made the games good.

Randomly running into spikes at a speed so fast you can't avoid it unless you already memorized the stage really doesn't feel like a well-designed platformer. They're a contradiction at best. An interesting one, but there's definite flaws.

kyser73

Loving the art design in this one.

Transistor sucked me in with its amazing art design too. Can't wait to give this one a go.

Where the heck is Assault Android Cactus? Dunno why I started thinking about that game suddenly.

That's a very good question!

I feel like I'm being showered with awesome little big games and there'd more to come!

Dazzler

Playing this game on transit this morning and the guy next to me just outright abandoned his pretence of trying to watch me in a low key way, straight up staring at the screen lol

I'm loving it so far, what a blast for a free game. On stage 12, will 100% download the DLC to support the devs

I'm absolutely loving this game. Even better than the first. Controls are so smooth and the platforming sections are an absolute blast. Maybe even better than the ship sections. It's hard as shit, though.

Also I love that there is a trophy for hitting speed pads called Qirex R.I.P. WipEout reference = victory.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Why could you? It's fixed-distance on foot. You would break a lot of puzzles and possibly get stuck by being able to teleport like you can in the ship.

Randomly running into spikes at a speed so fast you can't avoid it unless you already memorized the stage really doesn't feel like a well-designed platformer. They're a contradiction at best. An interesting one, but there's definite flaws.
I don't run in to spikes like that often. Maybe try going through the stage at a reasonable pace instead of full pelt constantly. That's the equivalent of constantly rolling in DKC and blaming the game when you die. Except in Sonic you're punished less for it. I can get that argument about games like Sonic Rush and the like, but not the Mega Drive games.

Top Bottom