• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2x - Review thread

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Ok.... Wow.
Did not expect that.
We've been telling you it'll be great for forever!!
You can support FuturLab with some money on a 6-level Day 1 DLC pack, which they made between the game went gold and release day.
Critical Urgency DLC Pack Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aikCII5wd_4
Yes they did! The games been in cert for a while now I'm sure so they had plenty of time. I'm buying it because I have plenty of extra funds from when they announced it for PS+. Gotta redirect that stuff back into Futurlab if possible.

Mikey Jr.

MercuryLS

Banned
Please. Everyone knows it's another shitty indie game. Worst PS Plus month ever. We want Knack.

That thread was so stupid, do people really want middling launch retail games on PS+ vs. a brand new high quality indie title? It's sad that indie titles are looked down upon by so many, they are far better than a lot of disc-based titles.

Carl

Never played the first one. It was a mini, wasn't it? On ps3?

Dunno, just had a 7/10 score in my mind. Nothing personal. Glad it's getting high scores.

The original was a mini. Then it was remade for Vita (And later PS3 and PC) as Velocity Ultra. Fully recommend checking it out

Astral

It's not really a shmup. Velocity Ultra was frankly more like a puzzle game than a shmup.

You know I'm specifically talking about the people clamoring for less "indie" games.
This isn't really a shmup either.

Oh it's not? Interesting. I remember getting Super Stardust HD and while I recognized that it was a good game, I didn't like it at all and got bored of it really quickly. I guess there's no reason not to give this a try tomorrow since it's free on Plus.

SerTapTap

That thread was so stupid, do people really want middling launch retail games on PS+ vs. a brand new high quality indie title? It's sad that indie titles are looked down upon by so many, they are far better than a lot of disc-based titles.

I wonder how young those people are too. In the SNES days it would have been an amazing value to get a game with as much content as this for $60. Love me some 16 bit shmups but content heavy they were not.

sub_o

Sounds like you didn't play the first one then. One of my favorite games in recent memory. I feel disgusting just knowing I'll be getting this one for free. Definitely going to have to buy the DLC.

Don't be, Sony still pays them for wholesale price. If it's not on PS+, then it might not get as much exposure as it deserves.

red731

tumblr_m99s2xtKbo1rsw1yf.gif

SerTapTap

Don't be, Sony still pays them for wholesale price. If it's not on PS+, then it might not get as much exposure as it deserves.

Not necessarily; PS+ is 100% up for debate. Just Cause 2 for instance generated no money but some others apparently get lumpsome or per-download payments. Probably not wholesale in most cases, but indies wouldn't go in for it if they didn't think it was worth it.

Still surprised Futurlab went for it--usually indies have been doing a "first released game is on PS+" thing, where futurlab is reasonably well established, or so I thought.

I knew it might have ended up great after all the people in the Plus thread saying it would be great but dayumn

Never talking shit about PS plus ever again.

breakfuss

Was there any doubt this would review well? I don't think people in the PS+ thread were so much concerned with its "indie" designation as they were the type of game it is. That said, my previous indifference has been slightly upgraded due to the platforming. Didn't realize that was such an integral part. Looks pretty neat.

Empty

yeah i'd definitely give it a try even if you're not into the genre traditionally. it's very much a shmup for people who don't like shmups because it blends design elements of exploration + puzzle solving, racing game and action platforming into the core mechanics of a shmup.

Not necessarily; PS+ is 100% up for debate. Just Cause 2 for instance generated no money but some others apparently get lumpsome or per-download payments. Probably not wholesale in most cases, but indies wouldn't go in for it if they didn't think it was worth it.

Still surprised Futurlab went for it--usually indies have been doing a "first released game is on PS+" thing, where futurlab is reasonably well established, or so I thought.

it's even harder to untangle because futurlab have a really close relationship with sony and sony help finance their games, as opposed to going to a third party like square-enix, sop it probably takes that investment into account

i don't think futurlab are that well established (they make great games, but they only have 6,500 followers on twitter and most fans are the niche vita indie audience). i think being the best reviewed game in the ps+ for this month and on a popular platform like ps4 will really help get their name out.

nib95

Banned
Well what do you know, this non AAA, indie title that we're getting for free with PS+, is actually awesome after all.

mejin

Hope FuturLab continues their support on PS4/Vita, I really appreciate their games.

And I can't believe people made fun of Velocity 2X on Plus. Sony did great on pick this game.

But what about knack on plus?!?

Can't wait for this tonight. Just debating whether to play it on vita or ps4. Also, does anybody know how much the dlc costs?

I'd much prefer a middling game for PS+ if it was one of those high budget games, even if this is a fantastic game, being indie without the popcorn flick advertising extravaganza aspect just kills it for me.

hawk2025

Was there any doubt this would review well? I don't think people in the PS+ thread were so much concerned with its "indie" designation as they were the type of game it is. That said, my previous indifference has been slightly upgraded due to the platforming. Didn't realize that was such an integral part. Looks pretty neat.

Nope. Read that thread again.

SirCrush

Colin Moriarty was passively singing this game's praises on Beyond earlier this week and yet the review STILL isn't live. Weird. Gonna be a 9-9.5, almost guaranteed. The clock is ticking.

Top Bottom