• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2x - Review thread

Usually when the store updates. Hope the store updates as soon as possible tomorrow
who am i kidding :(

Thanks. If I'm remembering correctly, doesn't the store usually start updating around 3 - 4pm?

Would be a nice treat to come home and have it already installed and ready to play.

soultron

Banned
Dumb question time: is it possible to buy this game with real money if you have PS+? I want to actually pay for it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Really looking forward to this tomorrow, it's great when games come from nowhere and turn out to be great (and free)

P.S. I have no idea what 'Eat Crow' is referring to. This is literally the only place I have seen people use that phrase.

Dumb question time: is it possible to buy this game with real money if you have PS+? I want to actually pay for it.

If you're patient and don't download the PS+ version, you should be able to purchase it when it leaves Plus.

Apart from that, pretty sure you're only option is to create a new account.

soultron

Banned
No, but apparently there is DLC you can buy.

Will do this then. It feels kind of strange that a game is being released free first, then pay later. :s

Usually on PS+ it's the other way around.

If you're patient and don't download the PS+ version, you should be able to purchase it when it leaves Plus.

Apart from that, pretty sure you're only option is to create a new account.

In my personal opinion, the first 2 weeks of a game's life are the most important, so I want to contribute to that.

You could buy the DLC and possibly merch from futurlab to show some love. I think the only way to buy it will be on a secondary account.

I can't wait to get onto this, absolutely loved velocity and velocity ultra.

Number45

Amazing. Will buy the DLC and donate the full £ value via their website* as I did for Ultra. <3

* actually I may have donated more than the PSN value, I can't fully remember

You can donate via their website: www.futurlab.co.uk

Great reviews, but that was expected. I like the fact that there's apparently more emphasis on story and the actual character of Kai this time around. Really looking forward to playing this tomorrow, and while Ultra felt so right on the Vita, I think for 2X I'll opt for snazzy 1080p PS4 visuals.

bombshell

Great reviews, but that was expected. I like the fact that there's apparently more emphasis on story and the actual character of Kai this time around. Really looking forward to playing this tomorrow, and while Ultra felt so right on the Vita, I think for 2X I'll opt for snazzy 1080p PS4 visuals.

I'll opt for a mix, utilizing the cross-save ;)

Toki767

Vita version is free for PS+ now. Just add to cart to see $0.00 total. PS4 version shows up as downloadable after "purchasing" the Vita version.

Carl

The story is actually really good. I enjoyed it. Kai is adorable.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Vita version is free for PS+ now. Just add to cart to see $0.00 total. PS4 version shows up as downloadable after "purchasing" the Vita version.
Done and downloading. Perfect that I could claim it as a Vita download just like I wanted =). I saw the soundtrack for Vita too. Can I pull music off the Vita? I have to get it to Google Music somehow.

That thread was so stupid, do people really want middling launch retail games on PS+ vs. a brand new high quality indie title? It's sad that indie titles are looked down upon by so many, they are far better than a lot of disc-based titles.

Agree 100% so many great indie games have come and are coming to PS+ I would be happy if Sony continued to do this instead of offering launch titles.

Percy

Banned
Good to hear. Really loved the original on PS3 (And PSP before that lol) so I'll be looking forward to playing this when I pick up my PS4 next week.

I mean... it's no Knack of course, but I'll cope somehow I guess ;)

drotahorror

On PS4 if you search for the game you'll find it. Add it to cart and it'll mark out the $19.99 and say free. Confirm Purchase and start downloading!

Can't wait to play this

SerTapTap

Yeah. Towerfall Ascension was supposed to be really good, but I didn't really dig it. Scores aren't all that matters in an individual's quality assessment.

I don't think it's fair to say a selection "sucks" because it's made up of quality games of genres you're not interested in. If you have any form of critical reasoning you should be able to see the difference between a good game in a genre you don't like and a bad game of a genre you do like.

Dragon

Banned
Yeah. Towerfall Ascension was supposed to be really good, but I didn't really dig it. Scores aren't all that matters in an individual's quality assessment.

If you played Towerfall by yourself, I wouldn't expect you to. The Quest mode is pretty fun but the MP makes the game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't think it's fair to say a selection "sucks" because it's made up of quality games of genres you're not interested in. If you have any form of critical reasoning you should be able to see the difference between a good game in a genre you don't like and a bad game of a genre you do like.

I guess I'm not trying to defend those who call the month "an objectively bad month" or anything along those lines, I'm just saying that for some people, some months are bummers.

Edge gave it an 8.
Since I can't post scans I guess, copied some of it (PS4 version tested):

They gave Velocity a 9, so Velocity 2X is a bit of a disappointment to them. Not as lean as the original game, but still extremely satisfying.

"The later addition of teleporter pods that Tana can throw, however, is more problematic, entirely disrupting the game's sense of flow. You'll have to stop, hold Triangle, move the analogue stick until you find the right arc, and then release the button to throw. Sometimes you'll have to target specific points on the floor or ceiling, clumsily denoted by icons to highlight exactly where you need to aim. Velocity 2X is at its best when you're allowed to build up thrilling momentum; these sections bring you to a juddering halt."

"It's testament to the high standards set by the rest of the game that these problems don't derail it for too long. Velocity favoured substance over style, but there's an abundance of the latter in FuturLab's art here. With five very different areas to explore - from the verdant planet of a pacifist alien race to the Mirror's Edge-inspired architecture of Tiracas, the paradise home of the antagonists - Velocity 2X doesn't lack for visual variety. And while you'll hear familiar themes in the soundtrack, you'll struggle to find any game with better sound effects for beam weapons and shattering glass."

"As a sequel, Velocity 2X is rarely short of ideas. A recurring boss has a new trick every time you meet him, while one terrific late flourish arrives just three levels before the end. If it's a lesser game than Velocity, it's not for a lack of effort on FuturLab's part. That it leaves even the faintest taste of disappointment speaks volumes about the quality of the original design, and the consistently evident talent of its makers."

Gurish

I'm one of those clueless who've said September Plus is horrible, I'm taking it back, wasn't expecting such scores :X

Top Bottom