• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Karak

didn't we have people talking about both consoles having a jaguar cpu and ps4 having a 7xxx gpu (higher clocked)? and rumors still say 4gb of ram at best. about the oculus rift, sony already has their own thing so i doubt they would buy or work with occulus rift.

Pretty much. But the ball got rolling with 1 upgrade and things sort of all clump together and all manner of upgrades have now been suggested. It happens.

daveo42

Banned
I don't how they could be using GDDR5 in the devkits. Unless that bandwidth figure comes from the GPU they were using. Aren't early devkits usually just glorified PCs?

As far as I am aware, you are correct. It's all base speculation on what they plan on having in the final machine. I would assume most of it is off the self stuff as well. This is mostly for devs to get a fell with what they may potentially work with.

Seeing that it can take some time to build new game engines that can better utilize resources and in Sony's case a lot of devs who work solely on the PS3/Vita, they don't pump out new stuff til Sony ballparks new tech specs.

whats the bandwidth on ddr4?

Low. Starting just a bit lower than fastest DDR3, but is expected to surpass it eventually.

It's actually lower power than DDR3, and because of that, they can put more into a unit, or do stacking, which would provide a significant performance increase because of the shorter connections along with the increase in number of connections.

Here is a pretty accurate graph.

iX2UU.jpg

The same as DDR3 at the same clock rate. Fast DDR4 in triple channel configuration can get you 50+GB/s. I don't know how stacking changes the bandwidth, anyone have a quick a dirty explanation?

TSV stacking would get you AT LEAST 512bit, but probably 1024bit bus... someone correct me please. But if so, we can easily see 200+ Gbps.

Reserve power? wait, what? Like Kinect?

Maybe I haven't been keeping up with news, but shouldn't all the processing stuff be onboard? How are they managing latency if it's not onboard? This thing is going to fail or succeed based on latency...

External processing seems like a dumb design for such a thing.

The only thing the ps4 would have to do is feed it's visual data, same as a monitor surely?

I mean you would need to change the software to match the wider pov, 3d etc... but that's engine stuff which has to happen anyway.. for anything...

Well I don't know. I assumed based on a comment by the dev in a video, where they talked about how graphics cards these days allow them so and so.

So, I can be very wrong.

DieH@rd

Banned
So what would these biometric sensors in the new controllers be used for?

Heart rate and blood pressure are fine, but im way more interested in biosensors that can detect how strong are you holding controller [they have a patent for that]. If the game can detect that, then it can really lead to new gameplay scenarios [dismantling the bomb by veeeeery gently holding the controller, opening a heavy lock with tight grip on a controller, etc].

Not to mention that a lot of his prose is flat out wrong. Sony's first party games have sold fine. People continue to trumpet that their exclusives are disappointments in terms of sales, but the Uncharted series was one of the biggest success stories this generation, God of War continues to be a monster, and Gran Turismo 5 is one of the biggest franchises in all of gaming (especially counting DLC or Prologue). Hell, even Heavy Rain did well. The Vita rumblings are bullshit. GAF has a history of dismissing Sony's products when in reality it just takes a while for them to get started. I recall many people saying that the PS3 was dead in the water and it would be less successful than the Gamecube. I think the Vita will be absolutely fine with a memory card packed in and a price drop.

God... those were dark days. To think of all the bullshit spouted about the PS3 on here a few years ago... it's like a lot of gaf wanted sony to implode... as if it would be a good thing to have Microsoft have a monopoly over the market.

Ashes

Banned
Well I don't know. I assumed based on a comment by the dev in a video, where they talked about how graphics cards these days allow them so and so.

So, I can be very wrong.

And I'm only guessing too btw - I'm currently more interested in next gen but I kind of got the impression this made a good showing at CES. I suppose they will predefine some things that games must do, probably a very high frame rate or locked one at least.

Should be interesting.

Heart rate and blood pressure are fine, but im way more interested in biosensors that can detect how strong are you holding controller [they have a patent for that]. If the game can detect that, then it can really lead to new gameplay scenarios [dismantling the bomb by veeeeery gently holding the controller, opening a heavy lock with tight grip on a controller, etc].

You don't want to to limit handicap players. There are Cerebral Palsy patients that play video games as rehab, and limiting game features to things that require strong grip or massive movements can be bad.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im not sure what Sony has to gain by unveiling PS4 so early...wouldnt that just give MS an unnecessary heads up? Im kinda hoping they dont show anything until at least GDC and even then maybe just a glimpse.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That tweet is so vague. Why do people think it's connected to ps4?

Optimistic thinking.

The press have been ping ponging next gen stories the last couple of days, so when you see a vague tweet like that it's easy to think it might refer to a Eurogamer next-gen report :p Not necessarily PS4 or PS4 only of course...

We'll see. Maybe it's nothing.

gatti-man

Im not sure what Sony has to gain by unveiling PS4 so early...wouldnt that just give MS an unnecessary heads up? Im kinda hoping they dont show anything until at least GDC and even then maybe just a glimpse.

Maybe its not early. Maybe Sony will strike first. Who knows.

Perhaps MS are announcing the Nextbox before GDC too, Sony doesn't want to be left behind at the hype train station.

What kind of heads up?

Nothing is going to change now. They are locked in.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
What kind of heads up?

Nothing is going to change now. They are locked in.
So its too late to make minor changes in features/specs for a console launching this fall/winter? I was under the impression manufacturing would start this summer...

Honest question.

Globox_82

Banned
So Microsoft can do no wrong and Sony is wildly out of touch with reality and what developers want (hyperbolic, but you get my point...that's how your last statement comes across).

I frankly don't buy it. Your cards are showing a bit. And that's fine, we all have our preference. Ultimately though, I'd say Sony has come a long ways from the PS3 days in terms of hardware design and I don't agree at all that Microsoft's vision is somehow infallible and that they're far more in-tune with the desires of the dev community. These aren't the crazy Ken days of hardware design at SCE anymore.

I don't disagree that Sony probably only showed developers 2 GB of GDDR5 RAM, and they complained because when you take the OS into account, they are getting much less than 2 GB of RAM in reality. But would they have expected Sony to not only double the RAM, but also double the same quality of RAM? So yes, that is where we are today...but have you even gotten any feedback from devs who have now had the opportunity to work with an extra 2 GB of 192 GB/s high-speed RAM? That could have been far more than they ever imagined, since like you said, 4 GB of GDDR5 is basically unheard of on PCs right now.

I think all of you (aegis especially) are fooling yourselfs if you think Sony is only talking to their first party. First party as awesome as it is, makes 5% or less of games that we play on our consoles. So to ignore 95% of devs out there and just ask ND, SSM, PD or who ever what they want is silly idea.Sounds like fanboys nonsense. I am sure Sony is in talks with EA and Ubi at least about what THEY want. Because let's be honest, they matter more then first party. Not to us maybe but to the mass market.

Now if they got the documents from CES and witholded that information until know I have to ask why not release it earlier? NDA for leaked documents and rumours is expired?

Interesting to see how the rumours of Microsoft once more getting in first could well be turned on their heads.

To be honest Sony needs to be first out, they will need every trick in the book to help persuade 360 users away from Live and their friends lists over to PSN.

I'm interested in seeing the new controller too, more so if I could still make use of my DS3.

I wonder if this new controller is going to end up like the boomerang? Sony quickly dropped that when they showed it to the public and the reaction to losing the DS wasn't so positive.

Elios83

specs(more RAM?) . Nothing major, but there could still be some changes.

If design is done not much can be changed, mainly the working frequencies.
RAM cannot be upped if they're already using modules with the biggest capacity available, they would need to redesign the memory system.

Final Devkits are coming this month.

That is just a rumor and if true it could point to a fall launch.
Just to make a comparision PS3 final kits were available in summer 2006 and the thing launched in November 2006.

Globox_82

Banned
If design is done not much can be changed, mainly the working frequencies.
RAM cannot be upped if they're already using modules with the biggest capacity available, they would need to redesign the memory system.

then what is the difference between final dev kit and previous one? It looks sexier?

specs(more RAM?) . Nothing major, but there could still be some changes.

I doubt it. Changing the design of the hardware this late would compromise end of 2013 release date, as that would bring new challenge in terms of board complexity and could compromise yields.

Final kits in summer. The thread title even says it, lol.

I doubt that part is right. That would mean they are only manufacturing final hardware 4 months before release? Doesn't seem plausible.

aegies

I think all of you (aegis especially) are fooling yourselfs if you think Sony is only talking to their first party. First party as awesome as it is, makes 5% or less of games that we play on our consoles. So to ignore 95% of devs out there and just ask ND, SSM, PD or who ever what they want is silly idea.Sounds like fanboys nonsense. I am sure Sony is in talks with EA and Ubi at least about what THEY want. Because let's be honest, they matter more then first party. Not to us maybe but to the mass market.

You're cherry-picking what you want to hear to make a case you want to be true. I said third parties talked to Sony. Sometimes publicly. What I implied was that an internal team at Sony made a specific case to higher-ups about the memory in the system, which was not 4GB a year ago. Or even six months ago.

Also, if you're living your life on the idea that the Vita isn't one of the biggest disasters of Sony's time in the console space, then I don't know that you can be reasoned with.

Why? Since when have devkits been finalized months and months before launch? PS3 and 360 had "PC" dev kits up until a month before launch.

360 devkits arrived in august before launch.

Mario007

There are reports of the new Xbox's SoC already going into production, so really nothing will change now. In fact only after those reports did we start to get some concrete data on the PS4, so it seems Sony have controlled it all very well.

Now it's only about wowing everyone with their new hardware.

Elios83

then what is the difference between final dev kit and previous one? It looks sexier?

The difference is that all the placeholders components are replaced by final chips that will be found in the retail hardware.
Major things are already set in stone. They could still decide about final working frequencies depending on how the prototype retail units where the hardware is finally put inside a small box, performs.
Same thing goes for the memory system, that has been already decided, memory capacity can be upped only if modules with higher capacity are available so that they can just replace old modules with new ones using the same design. But probably Sony is already working with the highest capacity modulues available so there's no room for that.

Top Bottom