• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Would this somehow destroy your experience gaming?
I want visuals that are a significant leap over what the Wii U will offer so yes if PS4 was technically on par or just a bit more powerful than Wii U Id skip the system all together and probably just go with the 720. Sorry if you dont approve or think Im a graphics whore or whatever.

If you look at it from a pure logical point of view the next xbox will be the more powerful next gen console. You can actually agrue that xbox1 and 360 have always been the most powerful consoles of their generation TBH (but let's not).
I dont even know where youre going with this...

kuroshiki

I want visuals that are a significant leap over what the Wii U will offer so yes if PS4 was technically on par or just a bit more powerful than Wii U Id skip the system all together and probably just go with the 720. Sorry if you dont approve or think Im a graphics whore or whatever.

I dont even know where youre going with this...

Current gen console can do this right now. I don't see Sony's next console will feature same graphic as PS3.

Pranay

PS4 wont be as strong as wii u or even slighlty more stronger then wii u.

It will have a massive leap but slightly less stronger then 720 or more that more of a probability

As other people have pointed out. They are a hardware company first. Media company second.

EDIT: People just are guessing now... lol

They should have been both which is the problem .
You have a bunch of media that you can leverage but to much fighting on the inside .
It's one big advantage Sony has over most companies but it was wasted .

Grim1ock

Banned
Why should'nt people freak out over what we are hearing?

No Backwards Compatibility and an underpowered sony console judging by the rumours. Absolutely ridiculous from a company built and propagated by hardware engineers. Meanwhile MS the software company amongst the big three is going all out on it's hardware specs and even launching one year ahead of the underpowered ps4. And this ps4 is to last as what? Till 2020?

If the rumours are true then sony deserves to crash and burn. They will have pissed over kutaragi's legacy for good

They should have been both which is the problem .
You have a bunch of media that you can leverage but to much fighting on the inside .
It's one big advantage Sony has over most companies but it was wasted .

They've been making that necessary transition. The PSN store now fully includes their Video Unlimited (which was separate before). And they are starting to focus on PS+ and other services. They purchased Gaikai, and I'm sure they'll make use of it for instant services that can't be done client side.

No BC and an underpowered sony console judging by the rumours. Absolutely ridiculous from a company built and propagated by hardware engineers. Meanwhile MS the software company amongst the big three is going all out on it's hardware specs and even launching one year ahead of the underpowered ps4.

If the rumours are true then sony deserves to crash and burn. They will have pissed over kutaragi's legacy for good

There is no indication of this from the rumors. People are just talking.

No BC and an underpowered sony console judging by the rumours. Absolutely ridiculous from a company built and propagated by hardware engineers. Meanwhile MS the software company amongst the big three is going all out on it's hardware specs and even launching one year ahead of the underpowered ps4.

because they're...rumors?

Elios83

As other people have pointed out. They are a hardware company first. Media company second.

The background doesn't mean a lot. I mean, of course Sony will never make an underpowered hardware like Nintendo, that is true. But that doesn't mean that this time they aren't going to consider other aspects (like retail price, profits and the fact that new controllers will add considerably to the total costs compared to previous generations).
With that in mind people should just use logic, neither Sony nor Microsoft have magic, they are both going to AMD to design a console targeted for a holiday season 2013 release.
If they're going for the same price, it's impossible for one of them to be significantly more powerful than the other. I that happens it's because one of them has decided to make a premium high end product but that will have consequences on the price.
I mean....if Microsoft wants to make the new PS3, price it at 500$, 600$ at launch and do 2-3 years subscription deals to make it cheaper while Sony goes for 399$.... I don't know who's smarter and who didn't pay attention to the past lessons.
I don't think that Microsoft will make such a big mistake thinking they're making the new Iphone.....so I expect both products to be very similar.

Elios83

No BC and an underpowered sony console judging by the rumours. Absolutely ridiculous from a company built and propagated by hardware engineers. Meanwhile MS the software company amongst the big three is going all out on it's hardware specs and even launching one year ahead of the underpowered ps4. And this ps4 is to last as what? Till 2020?

Honestly just lol, do you really think that MS is gonna be the first by a year, much more powerful, maybe even cheaper? LOL.
Those are not rumors, but someone's wet dreams :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Perhaps because you're not hearing what you think you're hearing? No BC is pretty much a lock, but the other two things you're 'freaking out' over haven't been rumoured. I have not heard anyone claim Sony will trail Microsoft by 12 months, nor have I heard anyone characterise PS4 as 'underpowered' vs Durango (Durango having a more powerful CPU != PS4 being underpowered...)

The Bydo have it, and they control it.

This place is nuts. Yesterday people were freaking out about how Sony would have the only powerful console because of the rumoured clock speeds of Nintendo and Microsoft. (lol) Now some old rumours get reposted and it goes the other way again. Is it going to be like this every day for the next year?

Perhaps because you're not hearing what you think you're hearing? No BC is pretty much a lock, but the other two things you're 'freaking out' over haven't been rumoured. I have not heard anyone claim Sony will trail Microsoft by 12 months, nor have I heard anyone characterise PS4 as 'underpowered' vs Durango (Durango having a more powerful CPU != PS4 being underpowered...)

Some rumors also have MS with the more media center system which is why it has the CPU better .
While Sony has the more gaming system with less media options .
Truth is i can see that happening with the way how MS talking .

onQ123

Anti used games is an automatic no buy for me.

Strangely I can't remember the last time I bought a used game I think it was Destruction Derby for the PS1 when I was a kid I got it from a Pawn Shop so Anti Used games wouldn't be a thing for me.

I think their Anti Used Games solution if they have one will be selling you the software license so the physical media don't really hold any value & if you want to sell it you will have to transfer your license over to the new owner.

LeleSocho

Banned
I sincerely thought before all the rumors that the ps4 was going to be weaker than the 720 and sincerely even if it happens i'm totally cool with it as long as isn't too distant to the microsoft one i'm ok even with lack of BC but anti used games.... ugh.

Sid

This is ridiculous seriously,i hope i don't have to buy collections of collections of collections if i want to play ps3 games on ps4.I think i'm going to get it at launch but b/c early on would help since the library wouldn't be big initially.

Nilaul

Strangely I can't remember the last time I bought a used game I think it was Destruction Derby for the PS1 when I was a kid I got it from a Pawn Shop so Anti Used games wouldn't be a thing for me.

Quite a few of My Wii, DS games, PC games and xbox games were used.

I think their Anti Used Games solution if they have one will be selling you the software license so the physical media don't really hold any value & if you want to sell it you will have to transfer your license over to the new owner.

That doesnt stop used game sales then.

the anti-used games thing is interesting, and could end up being a big deal for me. I don't buy used games, and the last year or so I've taken to renting most games day 1, and then just waiting til the game reaches a price point I find fairer (if there is a reason to go back to it after a weeks rental, actually more games than I expected). So depending what kind of anti "used" games policy they went for, it could affect my renting.

To be honest, the money I save on games this way is what's potentially keeping me in the console thing right now. I've thought a fair bit about going the pc route, but obviously it would be bye bye to renting that way, and implementing patience between steam sales haha. So definitely interested in how that plays out.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't know what is going on in this thread lately but seems like there is some new news, what happened to new news new thread rule.

I don't know what is going on in this thread lately but seems like there is some new news, what happened to new news new thread rule.

I think the only news was something was removed by neogaf mods at the request of either a user or a lawyer. (I'm assuming). I wouldn't bother making a thread about it.

Nothing new. Someone just realised some stuff had been deleted from quite awhile ago in the thread. You can find it on google pretty easy quoted elsewhere.

Mindlog

Especially with the WiiU also in the game and more scalable engines, I expect third parties to port to all consoles.
Relatively easy ports to large agreeable audiences are a given. I would be surprised if PS4 and 720 aren't close enough to meet these requirements. I would further speculate that any potential 'Steambox' would also fit in this category.

Watch Dogs and 1313 were not designed in a vacuum. Their creation took a particular system power profile into considertaion.

hodgy100

Why is everyone assuming the nextbox will beat a ps4 power wise?

from the sounds of it Microsoft may be going with a system with more ram and more processors, but it sounds like much of that will be reserved for the OS and apps.

Grim1ock

Banned

So they have already screwed up before they even launched their console. Aparently the ps4 is geared up to be a gaming console and the 720 has more media options and yet BC is out the window for the ps4. What kind of brain dead suit is incharge? Well i will tell you who it is. The same kind who forced out ken from sony and took BC from the ps3.

Are you also telling me that durango is going to only concentrate on the cpu and skimp out on memory and the GPU when you consider that MS has a good track record on having good GPUs on their systems?

The ps4 judging by what everyone keeps saying has a weaker CPU compared to durango. When you add no BC and all the subsequent other rumours it reeks of a underpowered console.

Why is everyone assuming the nextbox will beat a ps4 power wise?

from the sounds of it Microsoft may be going with a system with more ram and more processors, but it sounds like much of that will be reserved for the OS and apps.

Well, I think people are less spontaneously assuming, and more just discussing based on the potential validity of some of the rumours banding around. It could totally be the other way in the end, but the train of discussion will follow whatever the rumours are saying. Guess you can equate it to assumption though. It's almost as legit as guesswork haha.

So they have already screwed up before they even launched their console. Aparently the ps4 is geared up to be a gaming console and the 720 has more media options and yet BC is out the window for the ps4. What kind of brain dead suit is incharge? Well i will tell you who it is. The same kind who forced out ken from sony and took BC from the ps3.

Are you also telling me that durango is going to only concentrate on the cpu and skimp out on memory and the GPU when you consider that MS has a good track record on having good GPUs on their systems?

The ps4 judging by what everyone keeps saying has a weaker CPU compared to durango. When you add no BC and all the subsequent other rumours it reeks of a underpowered console.

i guess you have already made up your mind and nothing people say will change that.

This is ridiculous seriously,i hope i don't have to buy collections of collections of collections if i want to play ps3 games on ps4.I think i'm going to get it at launch but b/c early on would help since the library wouldn't be big initially.

BC would mean they'd have to sell it at a higher price. i think they want to keep production costs down.

wow somebody's having a meltdown.

Gorillaz

Catching upon this thread looks like a few people have some agendas going on...

Rumor wise there seems to be alot of back and forth saying sony will be stronger then the others/sony will be the weakest of the big 3. They are all starting to clash. Think its best to take everything at face valve and not fact.

Ashes

Banned

Not necessarily. If we took digital foundry's out look, where most 3rd party games appeared mid-generation to perform worse on the PS3, you would say the ps3 'reeks of being an underpowered console' too.

We're working on so little here and so I don't think it warrants such a confident conjecture or conclusion.

i-Lo

After the resurgence of the old rumours some people here (yes, including me) are best represented by this:

oh-noes-everybody-panzxo5m.gif

I just hope the poster (cant recall the nice poster's name) who said that devs are very happy with the latest version of the dev kit and trend suggests power increase with each new iteration is right. Two more are planned, one for January and the final one for summer 2013.

Top Bottom