• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Victim of prank call to Kate Middleton hospital found dead in suspected suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
How terribly sad. I know in the US that giving out health related information is illegal and can result in stiff penalties, so I would imagine it's the same in the UK. Dealing with worries of that, the amazing embarrassment she must have felt over the incident, and probably other stress in her life must have been too much. It's a shame that this happened.

dalin80

Banned
Normally I'd say there's no way the two episodes are related, but then again a good portion of the British *are* weird when it comes to that family of useless leeches.

I would say its more about the humiliation of being fooled and displayed internationally then anything else.

If the royal family or government leant on the hospital to put pressure on this woman at all, I hope we get to know about it and exactly what she was threatened with.

I never gave a shit about this, I'm sure very few people in the country did. But of course, every TV and radio station wanted to do a cuddly or funny piece about it, even those in Australia, and now a woman is dead.

Kate's fucking morning sickness bollocks shouldn't have been taking up any more valuable time during the news than it had to, but no - Nicholas Witchell and co want to pollute my airwaves with it 24/7

Are we going to get updates on each contraction in 9 months time? If so, fucking kill me now, news is dead.

Nothing more infuriating than seeing a reporter asking the Prime Minsiter about it, so he can give a smirking 5 minute interview about how wonderful it is, instead of hearing him explain the harsh economic realities they were asking us to face for an even longer period of time this week..

Just read it. Still confused as to why she committed suicide...

Who knows what was going on in the rest of her life, but she basically got humiliated all the way around the world. I bet the press went mental phoning her and hounding her and her poor family, too. This mistake would've felt bad under any circumstances, I guess - patient confidentiality is important - but to happen so publicly must be terrible. That said, she has a husband and kids... She must have even stressed, sick or pressured before this, I imagine. Straw that broke the camel's back.

Very sad.

Bo-Locks

She probably received a verbal warning, perhaps a written one, and the hospital updated its guidelines. That's it. I can't envisage the hospital firing/fining nurses over something that was an admittedly serious breach of confidentiality, but ultimately didn't do any harm. It wasn't a big issue and it had all already blown over.

She probably had underlying issues and the humiliation, jokes and hounding from the press pushed her over the edge.

smurfx

get some go again
well i don't think anybody expected this. obviously this woman had some kind of mental problems and facing the fallout of the prank was too much for her to bare. i'm guessing she was probably fired.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

There is a lot more news on this than what is in the OP.
BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt said he understood Mrs Saldanha - who was married with two children - was the person who answered the call from the Australian DJs and was not the nurse who discussed the duchess's medical condition.

Mrs Saldanha, a duty nurse, answered the telephone because it was 05:30 GMT in the morning and there was no receptionist on duty.

The BBC understands Mrs Saldanha had not been suspended or disciplined by the hospital.

The BBC's Nicholas Witchell said it had been suggested to him that she had felt "very lonely and confused" as a result of what had happened.

The St James's Palace statement said the duke and duchess "were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII Hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha's family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time".

A palace spokesman later added that "at no point did the palace complain to the hospital about the incident".

"On the contrary, we offered our full and heartfelt support to the nurses involved and hospital staff at all times."

In a statement outside the hospital, King Edward VII chief executive John Lofthouse said: "We can confirm that Jacintha was recently the victim of a hoax call to the hospital.

The duchess left the hospital on Thursday
"The hospital had been supporting her throughout this difficult time."

FroJay

Banned
How come everyone knows what the incident is that is being referenced in the OP? I had to read the article to find out. -_-;

This, who keeps up with crap like this or cares? Sad this nurse died, but call me uninformed because I don't keep up on stuff like this.

This is really shocking!

Just this morning they were playing a recording of the prank call on TV, and now she's dead!

It casts quite a grim cloud over the pregnancy

Dead Man

Yeah, poor fucking woman. If she believed it was the Queen, she was damned if she did, and damned if she didn't. Who is going to say no to the queen (or ask for ID details?), but there are massive penalties in most places for breaches of medical privacy.

Celegus

I don't get it either. Whoever wrote that article has never heard of a thing called "chronological order". It appears to be sad though, so that's always a shame.

A nurse's salary is pretty much shit, a receptionist gets even less. Couple that with the grilling the hospital admins probably dished out on her (at the very least) and you could probably guess why she did what she did.

madmackem

Who knows what was going on in the rest of her life, but she basically got humiliated all the way around the world. I bet the press went mental phoning her and hounding her and her poor family, too. This mistake would've felt bad under any circumstances, I guess - patient confidentiality is important - but to happen so publicly must be terrible. That said, she has a husband and kids... She must have even stressed, sick or pressured before this, I imagine. Straw that broke the camel's back.

Very sad.

Yep she will have been hounded to fuck, the press over here are fucking terrible for that. She must have had some other issues in her life and this has sent her over the edge.

A nurse's salary is pretty much shit, a receptionist gets even less. Coupled that with the grilling the hospital admins probably dished out on her (at the very least) and you could probably guess why she did what she did.
is it really that bad in the UK? in canada, most nurses start off around 60 - 70k/year and max out around 90k/year. and that's not factoring in overtime (which is often HUGE) or advanced practice RNs.

I did see this occured at 0530 and no receptionist was around, so sleep and stress probably factored into their terrible decisions... but this really was a fundamental error that should never happen regardless of the circumstances. I can understand why someone would feel like a total failure if he or she allowed this to happen.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
wow, if she did it BECAUSE of the prank call, i sincerely doubt it would have really been the only thing that would have made her commit suicide. it would only have been a matter of time.

Zaph

My mother is a nurse, she started on about 18k a year
Yeah, it's pretty much shit
Base pay has improved by a couple grand and there are a few good benefits, but yes, it's still pretty much shit.

Which is why we're in need of increasingly more immigrant health care workers.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
All jokes and pranks should be banned now to prevent this kinda thing. Throw the book at anyone who ever makes fun of anything or anyone.

Dunlop

In the healthcare system in Quebec you will pretty much be instantly fired if it is discovered that you disclosed anything about a patient . I imagine her employment at least came into question.

Not a funny prank at all

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Why would she commit suicide over a prank? Did she get ripped apart or threatened by her bosses at the hospital or something?

The hospital said they were helping her deal with the situation so I don't think that would be it.

Man this is really bad news. She could have been suffering from depression already and the media attention could have pushed her over the edge.

It's weird. She certainly wasn't going to loose her job over it or anything like that.

I feel bad for the husband and kids.

Sad to see a relatively harmless prank escalate like it has over the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom