• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Championship Wrestling Thread 2: 1000 Years of #THQuality

rekameohs

Banned
Last 30 minutes.

q4bfJEA.jpg

in other news why do i feel a tinge of sentimentality about switching games over after a year of this mess of a game

first i'm enjoying dbz fanfiction and now i am nostalgic about a bug-ridden yearly wrestling game

what is vgcw doing to me

TheOGB

Banned
I'm certainly gonna miss the jank, myself. Thankfully this helped me get back into wrestling so I can enjoy it being less janky. :p

Limit

Kefka should have destroyed the world, signaling transition of VGCW from WWE 13 to 14. Missed opportunity on that front. Entertaining storytelling nonetheless.

PBalfredo

GAF couldn't handle End Game.

That all was fantastic. Aside from the small bit of disappointment that my favorites didn't win their co-op and casual championship matches, everything went really well! Flint did great, both against Safety Valve and he was the only one to get a legit finisher off on Kefka. The kefka match was amazing in many ways. The CAW, the production values, the do-it-yourself Beat the Streak mode which also payed homage to the final battle in FFVI. Outstanding. And that Divine Kef5 looked absolutely brutal.

But nothing beats the match of the night. Scorpion vs Red. Good god. Two of the most entertaining wrestlers in the federation put on one of the best shows in VGCW history. It showed Red still has the heart and the will to preserver, enduring Scorpion's opening salvo and staying ahead of Scorpion fo 99% of the match. Scorpion then brought down the house with his unprecedented comeback. Red showed he still gots it and Scorpion proved he doesn't choke. Both wrestlers came out on top in that match. Wow.

njr

An amazing end to DragonBrawl. Hoping to see Baz McMahon come back somehow to challenge Gabe's GM status and all the new things that will come with 2K14. It's only been a year but those glitches made up a lot of the fun. Glitch bomb story, Barkley's leg, very rare 2 counts, Protoman himself. I'm going to miss all that.

PBalfredo

I'm certainly gonna miss the jank, myself. Thankfully this helped me get back into wrestling so I can enjoy it being less janky. :p

Oh I'm sure there will be plenty of 2kuality that will emerge when we get deep into 2k14. I find it hard to imagine that this is going to be the year that Yukes steps it up after installment after installment of phoning it in.

Kefka should have destroyed the world, signaling transition of VGCW from WWE 13 to 14. Missed opportunity on that front. Entertaining storytelling nonetheless.

Part of me agrees, but at the same time it's hard to do that and revive Badman at the same time. Besides, the bad end of End Game 3 didn't seem to go over well with the chat.

As perfect a night as you could ask for aside from an anticlimatic finish to the excellent Ganondorf/Zangief match.

I feel that though gief didn't win, he definitely proved something in the way he manhandled Ganon for most of that match. Besides that match was more about revenge than pins.

Brashnir

Great season, but man was that ending terrible. Dumb deus ex machina followed by even dumber deus ex machina into the ultra-saccharine ending.

Just brutal. #tryingtoohard

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Great season, but man was that ending terrible. Dumb deus ex machina followed by even dumber deus ex machina into the ultra-saccharine ending.

complaining about deus ex machinas in a show with a plot containing dragon balls

okay

Here's where I'm at with that ending: as tremendously enjoyable as it was, I feel like sidestepping the limitations of the game and doing pre-recorded cutscenes is perhaps... missing the point a little? IDK. It was fun to see for tonight, and when I saw fun I mean fun, buuuuuuut I'd love the 2K14 show to get back to having the main plot being something you'd see in actual wrestling. Mainly because Bazza writes it so fucking well.

Luckily, it seems like we still have a lot of hijinks to come from the worst GM. I'm not gonna be happy until I see Jensen drop the act and finally smash a chair over Gaben's head.

Jamie OD

GAF couldn't handle End Game.

That all was fantastic. Aside from the small bit of disappointment that my favorites didn't win their co-op and casual championship matches, everything went really well! Flint did great, both against Safety Valve and he was the only one to get a legit finisher off on Kefka. The kefka match was amazing in many ways. The CAW, the production values, the do-it-yourself Beat the Streak mode which also payed homage to the final battle in FFVI. Outstanding. And that Divine Kef5 looked absolutely brutal.

But nothing beats the match of the night. Scorpion vs Red. Good god. Two of the most entertaining wrestlers in the federation put on one of the best shows in VGCW history. It showed Red still has the heart and the will to preserver, enduring Scorpion's opening salvo and staying ahead of Scorpion fo 99% of the match. Scorpion then brought down the house with his unprecedented comeback. Red showed he still gots it and Scorpion proved he doesn't choke. Both wrestlers came out on top in that match. Wow.

Scorpion Vs Red can easily become VGCW's equivalent of Flair Vs Steamboat.

Ithil

Just caught up, that might have topped the Season 2 finale as the best ever episode of VGCW. The great Scorpion/Red Ironman with the awesome ending, the "booking" for the Nappa and Flint/Jensen and Gabe match (with Jensen just giving up on helping Gabe), the ridiclously brutal Gief/Ganon fight, the hilarious DK squash on Air Man, Haggar fending off Barkley's MITB cash-in and of course the absolutely batshit insane ending sequence.

I agree that I was surprised that he didn't have Kefka reinvent the world to set up 2k14, or even have a bit at the end hinting in story at a big change, but the finisher chain (with Gabe just getting thrown out, hilarious) and the return of Vegeta were great.

Roll on 2k14. Let's have a brand new host of glitches, bugs and ridiculous AI quirks to discover!

Rapstah

Something the chat is going to hate about 2k14 is how the announcers repeat their "this is the type of match this is" quotes twenty times as much as they did in '13. Expect 30 or 40 repetitions of "This is my favourite match in the WWE... Hell in a Cell" by King every Hell in a Cell match. There's a similarily stupid quote he says during Royal Rumbles, something about twenty years of Royal Rumble pay-per-views.

Moaradin

Last night was the first time I've watched in ages. Holy shit that was great. I laughed so hard at the green screen characters. So bad yet so good.

Something the chat is going to hate about 2k14 is how the announcers repeat their "this is the type of match this is" quotes twenty times as much as they did in '13. Expect 30 or 40 repetitions of "This is my favourite match in the WWE... Hell in a Cell" by King every Hell in a Cell match. There's a similarily stupid quote he says during Royal Rumbles, something about twenty years of Royal Rumble pay-per-views.

In the few AI Vs AI matches I've tested out King also has a tendency to just go quiet for half the match before just repeating "LOOK AT THIS MOVE COLE!" over and over again. Really weird.

demidar

Finally watched the archives, that was quite something. That ending sequence with the consecutive finishers was awesome, wonder how Bazza pulled it off.

The Red vs. Scorpion match was excellent, I'm anxious to see how that rivalry will resolve.

Flint is a goddamn boss, in character and in the ring. He lasted like 3 minutes against Kefka (although he was being pretty dumb kicking the air). Didn't see him and Nappa winning against Safety Valve, goddamn.

Found it hilarious that DK killed Airman. First TKO in quite a while.

It's great that Game Center FU retained, one of my favourite teams. Arino himself delivered 2 Last Continues, such a fantastic finisher.

No Burning Rangers but Sakura Taisen music is more than welcome.

Fuck Barkley, glad he got whooped by the Mayor of Earth.

Brashnir

How is it possible to be this bothered by VGCW? Stop taking it so seriously.

I'm not really taking it seriously. Why would you assume I am. I can watch something casually and still think an aspect of it is bad. Why are you taking it so seriously that you felt the need to defend it against my oh-so-serious-and-threatening attacks?

See, I can project too.

I really enjoyed the End Game finale. That Red vs. Scorpion match is now legendary.

Also the Internet could not handle the last 30 minutes. It was just too damn good.

Vibranium

Banned

Bazza writes as well as I do, and that's part of the fun. I don't know about you, but I enjoy ridiculously zany plots out of nowhere in my wrestling videogame livestreams. People make counts of Baz's messups all the time anyways. It was fun and silly; certainly more entertaining than the WWE's soap opera writers these days.

Anyways, I'm still super pissed at The Augmented Bike being gone, I hope to see Jensen comment about it.

Top Bottom