• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
and did that work ?
how to do it ?

I'm on FW 3.50, so YMMV. I also just read up on it today, so I'm by no means an expert.

-Enable Flight Mode on the Vita, just in case.
-Install the latest version of Qcma onto your PC. Make sure that offline mode is on under Settings > Other.
-Download what you're trying to transfer to the Vita onto your PS3.
-Use Content Manager on the Vita to connect to the PC via USB. Qcma should fool the Vita's firmware check, leading to the screen that asks whether you are performing a PC -> Vita transfer or Vita -> PC transfer.
-Unplug the Vita from the PC (an error message should appear on the Vita, don't mess with it) and plug it into the PS3.
-Close the error message and choose to connect to PS3 via USB.
-If done correctly, it should bypass the firmware check and go straight to the transfer options.

L.O.R.D

I'm on FW 3.50, so YMMV. I also just read up on it today, so I'm by no means an expert.

-Install the latest version of Qcma onto your PC. Make sure that offline mode is on under Settings > Other.
-Use Content Manager on the Vita to connect to the PC via USB. Qcma should fool the Vita's firmware check, leading to the screen that asks whether you are performing a PC -> Vita transfer or Vita -> PC transfer.
-Unplug the Vita from the PC (an error message should appear on the Vita, don't mess with it) and plug it into the PS3.
-If done correctly, it should bypass the firmware check and go straight to the transfer options.
thanks , its worked

OmegaDL50

So how does one do this with a PS TV.

There is no such thing as an "Airplane mode" on the PS TV

So how does one do this with a PS TV.

There is no such thing as an "Airplane mode" on the PS TV
Connect to QCMA over WiFi, and do most of the steps as they are, but turn off the internet connection in the settings instead of enable airplane mode.

*Note: I haven't gotten this to work completely for some reason, but it's most of the process.*

At this point i think Sony did a damn fine job at making this thing tough to crack as in a native kernel hack.I mean what has been done so far is basically psp emulation which requires way too much work and much sacrficing and thats if you have the programs and exploit games.

3DS is the one with plenty of options ie gateway/Sky3ds and now free cfws even got the old carts working for ds games.I dont see the 3ds being hurt much by these exploits so maybe the vita would be ok if a cart based solution was sold i mean i know many people that would buy a Vita if they could play emulators and psp games.

Lime

I am getting a Vita TV soon (got it for cheap). Can I use my 'unlocked' Vita memory card on 3.01 FW (it includes the Megamix-101 unlocker) for the Vita TV without ruining my crack? Will my Vita still be able to use this memory card with its PSP unlocker?

I have a first gen vita on the latest firmware. It's there any way I can play the two star ocean psp remakes on it?

Need to know if I need to seek out a psp.

Grep

Banned
Just to check something, I gave VITA 3.51 with PSM Dev Assitant SDK installed. Now I see that everyone are talking about PSM Dev Assitant Unity which needs to be installed for future Rejuvenate homebrews.

Do I need Unity, or SDK is also fine?

Egoz3ntrum

Neo Member
Just to check something, I gave VITA 3.51 with PSM Dev Assitant SDK installed. Now I see that everyone are talking about PSM Dev Assitant Unity which needs to be installed for future Rejuvenate homebrews.

You won't need Unity if you already got a PSM developer license.

I have a first gen vita on the latest firmware. It's there any way I can play the two star ocean psp remakes on it?

Need to know if I need to seek out a psp.

Currently there is no publicly released exploit that will allow you to play PSP games, though this may be a possibility at some stage with Rejuvenate. Unfortunately I don't think you can use it either if you are on the latest firmware.

You can either have PSM Dev or PSM Dev for Unity apps on your Vita.

To be clear, that is the above apps must be installed on your Vita, not on your PC.

Grep

Banned
You won't need Unity if you already got a PSM developer license.

Unfortnuately, I did not get it on time. So, I just to be sure that I have everything ready. I also remmember that people from this topic told me to install SDK and not Unity (choices I was offered from Sony download page).

I really dont know the practical difference between SDK an Unity.

I really dont know the practical difference between SDK an Unity.
Here's what Yifan Lu said:
The Unity app is also a better solution for running homebrew.

• It runs the debugger over Wifi, so after the initial setup over USB, it is possible (for example) to launch homebrew with a custom app on your smartphone, which is a step forward from being tethered to a computer.
  • For the same reason as above, the VitaTV can be supported. The only requirement is installing the files either with the same filesystem writing trick as PSM+ (which can be a hassle) or swapping the memory card into a PS Vita to install over USB (which can also be a hassle). Installation only needs to be done once though.
  • The application is DRM free which means that you can install it with the Package Installer or through a PS3 without needing any license. This means that even if you did not register for PSM and even if Sony removes the app from PSN, you can still install PSM for Unity.
And remember, this was before the new exploit to push the Unity SDK to Vitas/PS TVs with a firmware higher than 3.20.

animax

To put it simply - the Unity app will (eventually? but not yet) work both on vita and psTV and will mean that Rejuvenate does not need to be tethered to your pc.

The main Dev assistant app (which was the one people were originally told to download since it wasn't yet discovered that the Unity app was suitable) will only work on vita and requires tethering to your pc

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has anyone tried getting the new version of Retroarch running on TN V? I see the latest 1.2.whatever is out but it hangs when I boot it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
To put it simply - the Unity app will (eventually? but not yet) work both on vita and psTV and will mean that Rejuvenate does not need to be tethered to your pc.

The main Dev assistant app (which was the one people were originally told to download since it wasn't yet discovered that the Unity app was suitable) will only work on vita and requires tethering to your pc

Kind of annoying, since Unity installed by default on PSTV and I went through the effort of putting the Dev Assistant on there and removed Unity.

Wish I had known before so I could just put Unity on the Vita and PSTV.

So what is the current method for the Vita? My Vita is on 3.18 and I believe I bought some of the games that had exploits when all that stuff came out. I think one was Gladiator Begins for PSP and I don't remember the PS1 game. Is that all still needed or is there a better way to play my PSP and PS1 disc games on Vita?

Saw this on hackinformer, can't view it (hence being protected?) but I am really intrigued.
Z5u0Ku3.jpg

Has anyone tried getting the new version of Retroarch running on TN V? I see the latest 1.2.whatever is out but it hangs when I boot it.
I and a bunch of people on Wololo voted for it to be ported to Rejuvenate, but we got outvoted by a bunch of people who wanted standalone emulators for whatever reason.

B.K.

Doesn't Retroarch for PSP kind of suck? The last time I looked at it, I thought the only cores they had running on PSP were a few handheld cores. They didn't have Genesis, SNES, or anything you would really want.

animax

Kind of annoying...Wish I had known before so I could just put Unity on the Vita and PSTV.

Yeah, same here. I didn't manage to get Unity on my psTV but I keep that up to date anyway so not the end of the world. I think I have unity on the vita.

Is that all still needed or is there a better way to play my PSP and PS1 disc games on Vita?

Yeah, your 3.18 vita with Gladiator (and presumably Tekken/Moto ps1 game) is currently the best way to enjoy psp/ps1 games. Technically, you could create bubbles and upgrade a little further to 3.36 or so but I wouldn't bother unless you have a vita game you'd like to play at 3.36.

You might wanna look into getting PSMobile Dev Assistant (Or Unity dev assistant) on your 3.18 too (via package installer) to enjoy the native Rejuvenate homebrew/emulators

Yeah, same here. I didn't manage to get Unity on my psTV but I keep that up to date anyway so not the end of the world. I think I have unity on the vita.

Yeah, your 3.18 vita with Gladiator (and presumably Tekken/Moto ps1 game) is currently the best way to enjoy psp/ps1 games. Technically, you could create bubbles and upgrade a little further to 3.36 or so but I wouldn't bother unless you have a vita game you'd like to play at 3.36.

You might wanna look into getting PSMobile Dev Assistant (Or Unity dev assistant) on your 3.18 too (via package installer) to enjoy the native Rejuvenate homebrew/emulators
You have any good instructions for both of those?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does the rejuvenate hack give you full speed snes emulation? That's the only thing I feel like is missing from TV N.

Young Magus

So how are things on the epsp exploit side of things?

Asking because I have two vitas, one on 3.18 w/homebrew and one on 3.52. I wanna upgrade the 3.18 vita and use that as my primary vita but I was thinking about using homebrew on the other vita as well. What are the chances that we get another game to use for epsp exploit for recent firmware?

So how are things on the epsp exploit side of things?

Asking because I have two vitas, one on 3.18 w/homebrew and one on 3.52. I wanna upgrade the 3.18 vita and use that as my primary vita but I was thinking about using homebrew on the other vita as well. What are the chances that we get another game to use for epsp exploit for recent firmware?
IIRC, there was an ePSP exploit game announced on Wololo, but it was an EU game or whatever and the exploit has probably been patched by now.

mattiewheels

Well since I haven't paid attention in forever, are there any new plugins for TN V that add functionality as well as the savestate plugin did?

Trogdor1123

Rejuvenate? There's been a few emulators and maybe a Doom port, but people are still working out standards and the SDK.

looks like i missed the boat on that, no pstv is a real downer too. I hope some kind of break through comes soon. The pstv would be amazing as an emulator.

Cool, got it working on my Vita. Doesn't look like it will work on PSTV, but maybe I can just do it again on Vita and swap out the memory cards since I use the same account on each.
It works, but it's somewhat wonky because you need to use the D-pad instead of the touchscreen.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is there is no way around the update prompt on PSTV while trying to transfer the data over, at least as far as I can tell. On Vita it says you can rebuild the database and go into airplane mode, but obvious that isn't an option on PSTV where you need the wifi.

The problem is there is no way around the update prompt on PSTV while trying to transfer the data over, at least as far as I can tell. On Vita it says you can rebuild the database and go into airplane mode, but obvious that isn't an option on PSTV where you need the wifi.
You can trigger the rebuild database thing by turning off the PSTV, then holding down the power button. To replicate airplane mode, go into the settings and turn off the internet connection.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I figured turning off the internet connection would also prevent me from using Content Manager.

Ended up doing it all on the Vita anyway. Did the transfer part there then tried to finish on PSTV, but I couldn't "tap" the error message at the end, it just did nothing. So I just did it on the Vita and it worked fine, now I've got PSM Dev and Unity on both.

Did the transfer part there then tried to finish on PSTV, but I couldn't "tap" the error message at the end, it just did nothing. So I just did it on the Vita and it worked fine, now I've got PSM Dev and Unity on both.
I had that same problem and I got confused by it, but pressing X then going back to the download did the trick.

nothing new on the progress ?
There was an update to an SNES emulator that runs on Rejuvenate, but not much right now, since software development is slow and the Vita hackers think that individual emulators are better than porting Retroarch to the Vita.

animax

Finally got it installed on my 3.18 Vita. So every time I want to run homebrew I have to choose Gladiator Begins and load the save?

What "it" are you talking about here? TN-V10? If so then you can launch homebrew either by loading the game and loading the svae, or else you can create bubbles on your homescreen which launched the homebrew directly

Grep

Banned
There was an update to an SNES emulator that runs on Rejuvenate, but not much right now, since software development is slow and the Vita hackers think that individual emulators are better than porting Retroarch to the Vita.

Who can guarantee that Retroarch would be fully working on Vita?

I mean, there must be a reason for them going piece by piece..

Top Bottom