• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Grep

Banned
Can I download and install Dev Assistant from 3.5 Vita or I need to update first to 3.51?

Another newbie question, should I pick PSM Development Assistant for Unity or SDK?

Thx

To be fair, that targeted ONE single person - lets not blow it out of proportion even if it was backhanded
Sure, it was designed to target one person, but there was no guarantee that it only affected that person, and even if it did only affect one person, it drove a lot of wedges into the already fractured Vita hacking community. That's not good for us end users in the long term.

Another newbie question, should I pick PSM Development Assistant for Unity or SDK?
You need to get the SDK PSM dev assistant.

Man, it's not like the guy was working on it every day for 2 and a half years and failing every day. He put it on hold for a long time hoping that someone else (with more time) would step up to the plate with regards to native vita hacking. But nobody did, they were too busy cat-fighting over psp exploits. Now that the PSM dev licence is set to expire after May 2015 I guess it seemed like to best time to at least release something.

I didn't say and I don't pretend he works every single day on looking for the hack, but almost 3 years ago I said he found something, now he found something again, I just wonder if even this time anything will happen...

and PSM expiring means that if you don't get the appli you won't be able to use the exploit, so a large part of people interested in it couldn't use it

The scene might not have made any breakthrough progress on the Vita yet, but they have delivered smaller hacks and exploits consistently, and now Yifan Lu seems to have found the 'next level' of Vita hacking. Perhaps it is not native, I don't know, but even if it only uses PSM, it's still a HUGE step forward, since PSM has access to much more resources on the Vita than the PSP emulator, which will open the door for far more powerful homebrew. This alone makes me very happy, since better/different homebrew is something that I always wanted to do on the Vita, along with all the great games I have on it of course.

This is a long race, I say just have patience and make the most of any new development. We'll see what Yifan Lu has been cooking in a few days, and I certainly don't want to be left out of the party when that happens.

that was one of the problem I pointed out, the scene has been focused on PSP hack for too long, PSP is probably one of the best platform for quality and quantity of homebrew made, but... what could be with Vita potential ?
the same as you said about emulation, a NeoGeo emulator with Vita horsepower should be fantastic

it's just that... I dunno, I feel like the scene doesn't want (can't?) go forward and keep going on PSP hack

and I am very patient, consider I still keep 3.18 on my Vita :)
(but with some interesting games coming in the next weeks, I plan to buy Hot Line Miami Collection, Furai no Shiren 5 + and Tokyo Xanadu, I don't know what to do, I should by a new Vita (or Vita TV) but 100 bucks are a little much for me actually)

AmanoBuff

Can I download and install Dev Assistant from 3.5 Vita or I need to update first to 3.51?

Thx

You need to access the Playstation Store to download it to the Vita (the web link redirects you there), so you need to update.

You can actually install the PSM Dev app without updating. Just check the wololo forums. They have some tutorials going around there.

I didn't say and I don't pretend he works every single day on looking for the hack, but almost 3 years ago I said he found something, now he found something again, I just wonder if even this time anything will happen...

and PSM expiring means that if you don't get the appli you won't be able to use the exploit, so a large part of people interested in it couldn't use it

that was one of the problem I pointed out, the scene has been focused on PSP hack for too long, PSP is probably one of the best platform for quality and quantity of homebrew made, but... what could be with Vita potential ?
the same as you said about emulation, a NeoGeo emulator with Vita horsepower should be fantastic

it's just that... I dunno, I feel like the scene doesn't want (can't?) go forward and keep going on PSP hack

and I am very patient, consider I still keep 3.18 on my Vita :)
(but with some interesting games coming in the next weeks, I plan to buy Hot Line Miami Collection, Furai no Shiren 5 + and Tokyo Xanadu, I don't know what to do, I should by a new Vita (or Vita TV) but 100 bucks are a little much for me actually)

I'm considering this too. I'm planning on keeping my current one as is for whatever the scene brings, and I plan to get a new one in the next couple of months to keep enjoying all my current purchases, as well as those future ones that require the latest firmware. It's such a great handheld that I don't mind having more than one at hand.

You can actually install the PSM Dev app without updating. Just check the wololo forums. They have some tutorials going around there.

if you don't have a PS3 with CFW you can install on Vita ? I was checking on wololo forum but as far as I understand you can just install PSP pkg, for Vita you need a PS3 (and mine is OFW...)

I'm considering this too. I'm planning on keeping my current one as is for whatever the scene brings, and I plan to get a new one in the next couple of months to keep enjoying all my current purchases, as well as those future ones that require the latest firmware. It's such a great handheld that I don't mind having more than one at hand.

yes, same here, unfortunately here in Japan Vita is not so cheaper as in western countries, but I'm looking for a loose one (don't care about box or cables, I already have) and hope to find something cheaper with no so many scratches on the screen, which is the main reason for "cheaper" used models

but I also expect a price drop before the years ends...

AmanoBuff

if you don't have a PS3 with CFW you can install on Vita ? I was checking on wololo forum but as far as I understand you can just install PSP pkg, for Vita you need a PS3 (and mine is OFW...)

I did it with my ofw PS3. So it is possible.

yes, same here, unfortunately here in Japan Vita is not so cheaper as in western countries, but I'm looking for a loose one (don't care about box or cables, I already have) and hope to find something cheaper with no so many scratches on the screen, which is the main reason for "cheaper" used models

but I also expect a price drop before the years ends...

I'm planning on getting a Japanese cosmic red model. It's so gorgeous. Hopefully I'll find a good one when I decide to buy.

AmanoBuff

oh, glad to hear that, i'll check the forum deeply asap

probably it's the same model I own, Soul Sacrifice bundle :)

Oh boy, you have that one? Yeah that's the one, the cosmic red is the retail version though, without the custom back panel.

I've wanted one since the first time I saw it.

Soon.

i am on 3.51
is there a way to remote play from PC to Vita ?

Not that I know of.

One more reason to look forward to native homebrew.

Just discovered the hard way that Suikoden II won't transfer over from the PS3 to my 3.18 Vita by content manager, but will download perfectly fine directly to a Vita on the latest version.

Anyone know of any ways that I could get it onto my Vita? I might buy Tekken 2 so that I can have the PS1 exploit working and play it that way instead.

Just discovered the hard way that Suikoden II won't transfer over from the PS3 to my 3.18 Vita by content manager, but will download perfectly fine directly to a Vita on the latest version.

Anyone know of any ways that I could get it onto my Vita? I might buy Tekken 2 so that I can have the PS1 exploit working and play it that way instead.
3.18 has the package installer IIRC, so there's that. If you have the better PS1 emulator (I forget what it's called), you can push your own rip of the game to the Vita via OpenCMA or something like it, IIRC.

AmanoBuff

Have you tried the qCMA trick?

3.18 has the package installer IIRC, so there's that. If you have the better PS1 emulator (I forget what it's called), you can push your own rip of the game to the Vita via OpenCMA or something like it, IIRC.

I'll try that, I might push a rip with some IPS patches applied so the game is less of a buggy mess, I'll have to buy Tekken 2 though to be able to play the game with sound.

Have you tried the qCMA trick?

Yes, the game isn't recognized as being able to be copied from the PS3 to the Vita, I found some reddit comments bringing this up this issue at launch, but no one finding a fix. I thought it was an issue with my PS3, but my new downloads of Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time and Breath of Fire IV were both recognized and copied over without issues.

Oh boy, you have that one? Yeah that's the one, the cosmic red is the retail version though, without the custom back panel.

I've wanted one since the first time I saw it.

Soon.

Picture I took when I bought Vita 2 years ago

vita.jpg

yeah, it's pretty good, hope you can put your hands on it soon :)

animax

Just discovered the hard way that Suikoden II won't transfer over from the PS3 to my 3.18 Vita by content manager

I just transferred it last week via qcma (not the official CMA). Just involves unplugging the cable once the connection to PC is made and plugging it into ps3 instead.

Or are you saying that it transfers but doesn't run?? (Ib haven't actually tried launching it yet)

Trogdor1123

Now that its legacy does that mean that they will be less likely to patch stuff? I really want a native hack, this thing could be the best emulator system ever.

Now that its legacy does that mean that they will be less likely to patch stuff? I really want a native hack, this thing could be the best emulator system ever.

They technically can still push out patches in the US/ EUr region since vita isn't completely dead outside of the Japan/asn regions. If they do kill it completely then I can see it being this.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics

I think they'll patch regularly, as per usual. Just won't release first party software for it.

I just transferred it last week via qcma (not the official CMA). Just involves unplugging the cable once the connection to PC is made and plugging it into ps3 instead.

Or are you saying that it transfers but doesn't run?? (Ib haven't actually tried launching it yet)

It won't actually transfer on my PS3 to my 3.18 Vita, I downloaded it three times but it wouldn't show up on the list of Playstation games.

I bought Tekken 2, transferred it to my Vita with QCMA, patched my rip of Suikoden 2 and made it an eboot with PSX2PSP,

It works pretty well, and at least I don't have to deal with the horrible bugs that the original game has.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get your hopes up about it anytime soon, look at when the last PSP update was

I think Sony was done with the PSP prior to that, Brandish required an update for whatever reason though. They left the PSP on 6.60 (fully hacked) for over 3 years.

//DEVIL//

Sorry to get this thread up but i have a small question i would like to ask.

My slim white vita is at Ver 3.18. It doesn't have any games on the memory card

is it hackable at its current state ? or not and i should upgrade the firmware ?

Edit: I also remember buying the game Gladitator begin or something like from the store. but i dont have it installed on any of my PS consoles ( Vita or PS3) . that game is what was used to hack the system

Sorry to get this thread up but i have a small question i would like to ask.

My slim white vita is at Ver 3.18. It doesn't have any games on the memory card

is it hackable at its current state ? or not and i should upgrade the firmware ?

It is hackable if you have PS3 so you can buy the game needed for exploit and copy from PS3 to Vita. Go through hackinformer site for details.

//DEVIL//

It is hackable if you have PS3 so you can buy the game needed for exploit and copy from PS3 to Vita. Go through hackinformer site for details.

Thanks for your reply.
I bought the game before that is required for hacking. Gladtiator begins. can i still see it in the download history even if its removed from the store ?

spons

Gold Member
Decryption keys for index.dat leaked. While this begs the question of usefulness, at least something is happening again.

Silvard

What good is a PS TV with stock (3.20?) firmware in this context, for PS1/PSP loading games I can't transfer over or don't have digital versions (but that I already obviously own on disc/UMD? I have my Vita always up to date.

What good is a PS TV with stock (3.20?) firmware in this context, for PS1/PSP loading games I can't transfer over or don't have digital versions (but that I already obviously own on disc/UMD? I have my Vita always up to date.
It's good for emulators and there's the package installer for stuff like demos, but that's about it.

muteki

Finally found the time to jump through the hoops and get tn-v11 on my 3.50 vita.

It was a neat experience for giggles, but emulator performance isn't really there for me to get any practical use out of it. In that sense, nothing has really changed since the PSP era.

Also, as with early PSP homebrew, it never fails to amaze me how so many people can go and learn a given process, but as a community be so poor at writing instructions.

Kindekuma

Banned
Really interesting development in the homebrew scene. I wonder what the status of the Vita in terms of homebrew will be like in a few months with these keys released.

Picked up a PSTV today but it's at 3.35 which seems to be a dead end. I bought pool hall pro but even with the tnv11 files for 3.3x I can't get any exploit to trigger.

Bummer.

Yifan Lu is releasing a Native Homebrew platform for the Vita:
(Sadly, they did not give me a spot at the Sony E3 conference, so I have to make do with this blog post.) I am excited to announce Rejuvenate, a native homebrew platform for PS Vita. The tools that will be released through the next couple of weeks will allow developers (not in contract with Sony) to develop and test games, apps, and more on the PS Vita. These unofficial software can run on any PS Vita handheld device without approval by Sony. These tools cannot enable pirated or backup games to run (I’m not just saying this… the exploits used does not have enough privilege to enable such tasks). Rejuvenate requires PlayStation Mobile Development Assistant to be installed on your Vita! Sony will remove this from PSN soon, so if you wish to ever run homebrew apps on your PS Vita, you must download this app now!
Rejuvenate is composed of three main tools which together provides a platform for developers to write Vita homebrew.

• UVLoader 1.0 allows executables to be loaded on the PS Vita. The original version was written three years ago for firmware version 1.80. Since then, Sony has taken the source code and made loading code much, much, harder. However, there is no barrier that cannot be bypassed! The latest version includes support for SCE ELF relocations, NID poison antidote, and more. It can run homebrews on Vitas up to firmware 3.51 (at time of writing)
  • VitaDefiler is a RPC (remote procedure call) system for Vita userland. Main features includes live peek/poke of userspace memory, execution of arbitrary ARM code, and a scripting interface for quickly running tasks. Originally developed for finding exploits, this tool can also be used by homebrew developers to test and debug their apps. VitaDefiler also serves as the ASLR (address-space-layout-randomization, a technique used by Sony to discourage exploitation) bypass for UVLoader.
  • PSM+ is what I call the method I found to bypass the two kill-switches Sony placed into PSM to prevent this very scenario. First, app-keys which are issued by Sony to developers to sign PSM content are required for the exploit to run. These keys usually expire every three months, and Sony can refuse to issue them later. This can be bypassed. Second, every day, PSM phones home to see if it is revoked. If Sony decides to kill the Dev Assistant (and they will), it will refuse to run even if you have it installed. This can also be bypassed.
So what’s the catch? The good news is you don’t have to buy any obscure or expensive game (everything is free!). The bad news is that launching homebrews is not as simple as copying some files over. Hopefully, most of these limitations can be bypassed in a later release, but at this point, the following side effects will apply

• USB connection is required each time you wish to launch a homebrew. The exploit requires a PC to run, so this is unfortunately a requirement. This also means that the VitaTV is not supported.
  • Windows PC is required. Blame Sony for never porting PSM tools to other operating systems.
  • Network is required once each day you decide to run homebrew. This is because PSM has to phone home every day. Although we have a means of bypassing the revoke, we currently cannot bypass the phone-home.
  • Firmware 3.00+ recommended. Although technically the exploit works on 1.69+, the latest version of the tools have only been tested (and will only support) 3.00+. If there is enough interest, I can port it to lower firmware versions, but it will be very low priority.

Really bummed that it won't do anything for the PS TV (yet), but this is pretty fucking cool.

Gotta download that app then.

Edit: ASAP even, as this is probably going to get removed fast as heck.
It's already gone. Luckily, I managed to DL the PKGs for it, but unless someone finds a package installer for 3.30+, no one will be able to use though (this is assuming it's not locked to my account).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this leads to further developments. Have the app on my Vita and PSTV.

Considering there isn't really anything coming for Vita I'm interested in, maybe it will make for a nice homebrew device.

spons

Gold Member
Still not over the fact that I didn't heed the warning and completely missed out on this. I can't find any information on PKG files being locked to accounts so if there is another installer or exploit this should work, e.g. if you download a PKG from Sony's server, everybody gets the same file (no account information included).

Top Bottom