• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III |OT| This one really is Warcraft 4

deoee

a major complaint by a lot of the pro players, at least on the coh2 side, is that the game is too punishing if you lose early engagements and unless relic fixes that, the comp scene will suffer. comebacks are a part of relic's dna

surprisingly, this was also the case in warcraft 3 with the punishing early game. at least it was when i was really into the game.

That's exactly what they described for the upcoming patch notes - they want to make early game losses less punishing.

a harpy

I hope they succeed. Watching a lot of the ESL gameplay recently and playing a good bit myself, I'm kind of hold on with the game until the patch hits. The early 1v1 game can be really technical and strategic but the early wins don't feel as fun and the losses feel frustrating. I think this game is at its best when you can get into the mid-stage fights.

IpKaiFung

allegedly there's a patch coming out but haven't heard a peep from Relic. Their communication with the player base has really deteriorated since Alex Price took over marketing.

deoee

allegedly there's a patch coming out but haven't heard a peep from Relic. Their communication with the player base has really deteriorated since Alex Price took over marketing.

Nah communication was fine post launch, many hotfixes and feedback on bugs etc.

There's just nothing to report until the patch drops I guess!

Can't wait to try out all the shit tomorrow :)

Memory

Nah communication was fine post launch, many hotfixes and feedback on bugs etc.

There's just nothing to report until the patch drops I guess!

Can't wait to try out all the shit tomorrow :)

Do we have any idea whats included?

deoee

@Kidzin We're rolling out a new way to show patch notes more visually on the website. I don't know about you, but going through a long list of bullet points can make it hard to pick out the changes that are important to you. It's a big change for us in the backend, and that means a lot of learning in how best to implement the system itself and present a hierarchy of information in a way that's easy to scroll through. There are a lot of balance changes and bug fixes, so it's especially important to get it right.

As we iron out the inner workings of the system, we may be in a position to post patch notes earlier than the live date. I don't have an ETA, though!
Hyperino

I feel i'm missing something. I tried to play few multiplayer matches and unable to play competitive. There is simply not enough resources, i creating 2 basic units and can't build anything else, but enemies are always have huge army even after first five minutes of match. I tried to quickly capture resource points and upgrade them but it feels pointless. What am i doing wrong?

deoee

I feel i'm missing something. I tried to play few multiplayer matches and unable to play competitive. There is simply not enough resources, i creating 2 basic units and can't build anything else, but enemies are always have huge army even after first five minutes of match. I tried to quickly capture resource points and upgrade them but it feels pointless. What am i doing wrong?

Watch some replays or streams on twitch.

You really have to micro your units and as SM you want to save for ASM.

But everything could change after today so maybe wait until tomorrow :D

Watch some replays or streams on twitch.

You really have to micro your units and as SM you want to save for ASM.

But everything could change after today so maybe wait until tomorrow :D
I really hate watching streams and replays, so it's not an option for me. Don't know what ASM means either. Campaign was pretty meh and multiplayer feels slow and unfair for me, really a huge disappointment after DoW 1-2 in my opinion.

Jinaar

Nice patch so far. I would like personally to play more, still would be nice against people from GAF or somewhere else instead of randoms. Either way, will try again. This game REALLY needs Last Stand back.

deoee

And here in pretty:

https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/patch-notes-may-31-2017

I really hate watching streams and replays, so it's not an option for me. Don't know what ASM means either. Campaign was pretty meh and multiplayer feels slow and unfair for me, really a huge disappointment after DoW 1-2 in my opinion.

If you don't want to watch then you gotta play more.
It's a very micro intense game in the first phases and you gotta keep your units alive as long as possible

grendelrt

Thank God on the tactical Marine update and the Las cannon changes. Asm nerf is fine now that I will have some damn range dmg early game.

Good patch overall, but Eldar might have been nerfed a bit too much. I think Webways, Striking Scorpion True Damage and Macha Psyker Blast was all that needed to be addressed for now. I guess we'll see though. Happy Tacs got buffed, much more than I expected too.

edit: so uhh did anyone notice they sneaked in 2 multiplayer maps? 1v1 Mork's Mire, 3v3 Crucible of Vaul. Nvm they're the same maps, just reconfigured for auto-match I guess.
edit 2: Tacs might be a little too good. It's like they got a free +3 Ranged damage and +1 Melee damage upgrade. They absolutely destroy DAs and Shootas now.

remz

Aww man, I'm going to miss the suicide bomma dmg/weirdboy teleport dmg. Teleporting behind fleeing Dire avengers was my fav strat.

teepo

posted this on another forum, patch seems to be good? at the very least, a step in the right direction

watched a bit of filthyrobot's stream and i like what i'm seeing

seems like there are more units fielded in the earlier phases while the increase in unit costs, specifically power, has delayed teching for most builds. unit spamming is less viable and the patch is encouraging using a variety of units and losing early engagements is no longer an automatic loss.

Awesome we got patch notes. I've been googling for them every damn day now.

My two favorite changes:
Cooldown of all Super Abilities (Orbital Bombardment, Eldritch Storm, and Rokks) increased from 5 minutes to 7.5 minutes
Imperial Knight Solaria: Removed the slow from Gets Hot!
giphy.gif

Power Sword upgrade is now available at Tier 2
Power Sword upgrade cost changed from 75 Requisition / 75 Power to 125 Requisition / 125 Power
Jump charge generation time increased from 65 seconds to 90 seconds
Damn, that is a big wind back, without nerfing the true damage. I like it.

zoukka

Post-patch matches have been pretty lame. I am crushing every non-SM player before the 3 minute mark with just tacticals. I used to do the same before the patch, but now it's just loltastic.

edit 2: Tacs might be a little too good. It's like they got a free +3 Ranged damage and +1 Melee damage upgrade. They absolutely destroy DAs and Shootas now.

This is how things should've worked before. Tacs cost 70 req more and don't come with a nade without doctrines. It was laughable how DA's slaughtered every other T1 unit in the game while being so cheap.

deoee

Post-patch matches have been pretty lame. I am crushing every non-SM player before the 3 minute mark with just tacticals. I used to do the same before the patch, but now it's just loltastic.

This is how things should've worked before. Tacs cost 70 req more and don't come with a nade without doctrines. It was laughable how DA's slaughtered every other T1 unit in the game while being so cheap.

People need to adapt to the changes still.

zoukka

People need to adapt to the changes still.

They seem to be good! Streamers are playing with all Eldar units now. Orks can be pushed back but their comeback mechanics are insane. You can literally wipe their army and still not necessarily win or even take a shield-gen.

leng jai

My game keeps freezing for 2-3 seconds every few minutes even though it's running at 60fps.

EDIT: freezes were due to playing in offline mode.

grendelrt

Finished the campaign last night., that after credit scene, god I hope we still get it with the sales being lackluster. They really need to announce a new game mode or maps or something, get people interested again.

IpKaiFung

still getting pissed off with the high damage aoe spells and also there's not many people playing so I play the same people all the time.

Yeah. I tried playing a match last night for the first time in a while, and the one game I could find the host kept kicking me from. So then I hosted my own, and only 1 person ever joined. I've ended up going back and playing Dawn of War II: Retribution now, since I never finished the campaign for some reason.

leng jai

How is the campaign in this? I've only played the first missions and they are obviously just glorified tutorials. Actually died a few times on normal already, I haven't played a RTS game since DoW 1 probably.

How is the campaign in this? I've only played the first missions and they are obviously just glorified tutorials. Actually died a few times on normal already, I haven't played a RTS game since DoW 1 probably.
Honestly, I started lukewarm on Dawn of War 3 campaign. Then I grew colder. Warmer. Colder. Then warmer, into hot damn. I'm sad the multiplayer community just isn't there, but I can live with the money I spent for the campaign. I love the world and the characters (except Eldar), so I had a good time.

IpKaiFung

Everyone saw it coming. The age of RTS is over I'm afraid :(

I wouldn't say that. I feel the issue with the low player numbers is that the game doesn't have much content outside of the campaign and the multiplayer.

There's only one game mode in multiplayer and when you're on the receiving end of the high damage aoe spells it feels really cheap to lose thousands of requisitions worth of units.

deoee

I wouldn't say that. I feel the issue with the low player numbers is that the game doesn't have much content outside of the campaign and the multiplayer.

There's only one game mode in multiplayer and when you're on the receiving end of the high damage aoe spells it feels really cheap to lose thousands of requisitions worth of units.

He is right, it's the decline of rts. See steel division too for example.

IpKaiFung

I guess its possible, I feel RTS needs it's Street Fighter 4 moment for a massive revival. Don't know who can deliver it mind you.

Phloxy

I hate seeing people say rts is dead. This game is dead because they waited years to put out a sequel that is so content starved its insane. As soon as they removed the awesome coop campaign my entire circle of friends cancelled pre orders. Then the couple people who were left saw that last stand wasn't even in the game and it's like how the hell?

You can't wait this long to put out a sequel and then charge a super high price, barely market it, have much less gameplay depth and modes, and expect people to just buy it and wait for patches.

I hate seeing people say rts is dead. This game is dead because they waited years to put out a sequel that is so content starved its insane. As soon as they removed the awesome coop campaign my entire circle of friends cancelled pre orders. Then the couple people who were left saw that last stand wasn't even in the game and it's like how the hell?

You can't wait this long to put out a sequel and then charge a super high price, barely market it, have much less gameplay depth and modes, and expect people to just buy it and wait for patches.

The failure of DoW3 is definitely on the flaws of the game design and the content as opposed to the low interest in the genre.

zoukka

Competitive multiplayer is what keeps RTS games alive. Last Stand and co-op are nice, but don't really matter in the long run.

The multiplayer in this game is awesome.

IpKaiFung

Yeah I think that's pretty accurate, there was barely any hype for the game leading up to release and there's bugger all content for full price.

As with the gameplay I have really big issues with it, there are far too many abilities that can wipe an entire army on its own.

I would prefer if a lot of these spells provided crowd control and no damage and the damage came from your units.

a lot of my issues with the game are echoed in the following video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVkuO-UcB7E

I don't think it's a terrible game, its just average and very sub par compared to Relic's previous releases, which funnily enough have much higher player numbers.

Laiza

Competitive multiplayer is what keeps RTS games alive. Last Stand and co-op are nice, but don't really matter in the long run.

The multiplayer in this game is awesome.
I suspect you have it backwards.

The co-op campaign and Last Stand almost certainly contributed a ton to Dawn of War II's long legs. (Last Stand in particular is the only reason I bothered logging into the game at all after Retribution's launch.) The co-op mode in Starcraft II is getting loads of attention, with new commanders and maps being released every few months even this long after LotV's launch (remember, that game launched in November of 2015).

I would say that competitive multiplayer is important, but the grand majority of any player base is not interested in competitive multiplayer. They'd much rather be able to just jump in and have a good time. 1v1 in particular is usually the least popular game mode for a variety of reasons, up to and including the incredibly high skill cap that goes above and beyond anything you'll find in a MOBA. At least in team modes you can put some of the blame on teammates for not carrying their weight (justified or not - it's a psychological thing), but in a game with as small a player base as this (and Relic games have never had huge player bases), obviously that's not really tenable long-term.

I really think they'd be better-served by going the Starcraft II route and putting a lot of effort into a unique coop game mode with progression mechanics. Much lower barrier of entry, which translates to much greater mass appeal. It's pretty much how I'm playing the game already since I only ever play PvAI at this point, but obviously an actual coop game mode would have more interesting mechanics and more map variety than we have now.

Putting so much emphasis on PvP has, I suspect, contributed greatly to the genre's decline. MOBAs - hell, even fighting games tend to have a lower barrier of entry than RTS games do. I don't think it's any surprise at all that folks just bounce off of the genre when it requires so much investment just to become competent at it, and even moreso when the player base is tiny and consists of only the most dedicated players. It's just not a good look.

teepo

the game should've been priced more competitively. had it come with a 4th race or at the very least a much expanded land stand mode, sega could've justified launching at $60 but just barely. no game should have any business selling at that price unless it's a triple a budget title in today's market.

the game will see a majority of its sales through steam sales and if they really knock last stand out the park, it'll be fine. at least i hope so

Top Bottom