• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III |OT| This one really is Warcraft 4

Manac0r

On the bright side I can finally join in on the 'Game you like and everybody else hates' thread. TY DOW 3.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't even understand why it's in the game. The skull system is a classic case of "unlock the stuff you want first and then forget that there's more stuff to unlock" except it sort of discourages playing around with interesting loadouts. The doctrine unlocks via leveling elites isn't good. It'd feel slightly better of XP was based on the game and not the use of the actual elite. It's gonna be so hard to level up 10-point elites.

They should have just made all of the gameplay elements unlocked from the start and let you use skulls to buy elite skins, army paints, profile portraits, hell, maybe even victory screens that your opponent sees when you win.
Yeah should be global exp systems for the elites you use and not individual for the elites you have equipped.

Playing multi I hardly gain anything valuable and it's just an artificial grind more so than anything.

deoee

Yeah should be global exp systems for the elites you use and not individual for the elites you have equipped.

Playing multi I hardly gain anything valuable and it's just an artificial grind more so than anything.

Let's farm later.

I need that Dreadnought xp

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well just as an FYI if you set up a private online game against AI's you get Elite xp (which you don't get in single player skirmish) which is an easy way to level up some guys while experimenting.

Genki

The multiplayer is really good guys. We've just scratched the surface of the depth offered by the unit/elite combinations and abilities. Game really doesn't deserve the hate it gets, it's really well made and balanced so far.

I'm slightly intrigued, but to me the idea of unlocks in a multiplayer RTS game is ridiculous. That alone puts a heavy damper on it.

zoukka

I'm slightly intrigued, but to me the idea of unlocks in a multiplayer RTS game is ridiculous. That alone puts a heavy damper on it.

Yeah I can see that. For me it's been a small issue since slowly going through the doctrines gives me time to learn them.

If it's any consolation, you can unlock pretty much everything for a single race by just going through the single player campaign.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's not a big issue but rather pointless.

If something takes so long it's better to farm it than actually playing how it's mean to, you done fucked up.

ryanyhc

Neo Member
Agreed, farming skulls to unlock doctrines / elites is kind of dumb... but you do get skulls fairly quickly. It's not as bad as it sounds. I've played about 10 hours or so and have unlocked all the SM elites and a bunch of doctrines.

Edit: Apparently I've played 25 hours.. that got away from me quickly.

guys the multi is so good in this game

The multiplayer is really good guys. We've just scratched the surface of the depth offered by the unit/elite combinations and abilities. Game really doesn't deserve the hate it gets, it's really well made and balanced so far.

The Ork super elite Beauty is so amazing to use. Shoot his Klaw at the enemy army and pull the whole fucking blob to him xD

Yeah, I used to kinda hate it cause it wasn't DoW2, but the more I play it, the more I like it. Obviously has a few balance issues at the moment (Macha can instagib squads before anyone can react, Chaplain is useless, Tactical Marines are terrible, Assault Marines with Power Sword are ridiculous), but it's nowhere near as bad as DoW1 or 2's launch balance.

DoW2 got a huge update some months after release (8 multiplayer maps were added to the overall map pool), so maybe they follow the same pattern here.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Tac marines are alright as long as you're willing to invest in flamers.

Vanilla tac marines are trash though.

Skulls is not an issue, SP gives you tons first time around.

Elite exp outside of SP is, however, so so very slow.

yea. you can redo the missions to get some more as well. I think I got around 1700 skulls/got the main elites up to 8 and the others from around 3-6 and this is me doing all the missions on casual and maybe like 4 on normal.

Ont

I did not really like the open beta, but now that I have been playing the full game I am liking the multiplayer a lot. It does seem to generate some epic battles.

Bolivar687

Banned
Any advise on which Elites to spend my skulls on first for Space Marines?

A late game elite that comes out earlier than Solaria, like either of the Terminators or the Venerable Dreadnought. You often don't build up enough for 10 point Elites in your average 1v1 or even 2v2 match unless you're skipping your earlier ones.

grendelrt

A late game elite that comes out earlier than Solaria, like either of the Terminators or the Venerable Dreadnought. You often don't build up enough for 10 point Elites in your average 1v1 or even 2v2 match unless you're skipping your earlier ones.

Good idea, thanks!

OK. I was lukewarm and kind of "whatever" towards this campaign, enjoying it, but not loving it. Then Mission 13-14 hit...now I think I'm really digging it.
Solaria's pre-mission conversation with the Inquisitor was good stuff. And I loved Diomedes raging about Gabriel's death and how he was going to board the Inquistor's ship and take his head. Shit got me amped. Now let's go save big G.

Mission 14:

herrera.gif

The fanboy is starting to have too much fun now. Actually, this gif probably isn't doing justice to my enjoyment.

teepo

i do think the game has too high of a skill ceiling and the flow might be a bit too much for the average rts player. in past relic titles you could at the very least still be useful spamming support units (hmg/mortar) and arty/tanks but it doesn't really work in this game. i also think this is one of the game's bigger shortcomings, it's near impossible for the average to bad player to be useful in the game's current state. bad play is easily abusable and is a large part of the reason the game is being negatively received, e.g. elites being overpowered

at the very least i believe map awareness in team games is more important than micro. more often than not, i get my ass handed to me either through double or triple teaming while my teammates are sitting on their asses turtling. i don't necessarily need them to come to my rescue but at the very least, if you're not coming to my rescue make a trade.

of course this can easily be circumvented if the game had a proper ranking system that works more like what blizzard did for starcraft 2 than the hidden mmr relic uses in coh2.

i would just not play team games but i find the game to really shine in 2v2 and 3v3 the more and more i play it. the game comes together brilliantly when you're matched up evenly and nobody is turtling. relic games always scaled better than other rts games but coh was always a god awful mess with more than 4 players. this might not be the case for dow3? i'd like to see some team comp match ups in the future, something that is sorely missing from the rts comp scene. time will tel

Tecnniqe

Banned
The fact the gameplay is micro heavy like SC and abilities everywhere with no key rebind options is blowing my mind.

I'm aweful at this macro, it's why I don't play SC2 😂

zoukka

Yeah I feel that this game is way too hardcore for people today. SC2 was the last big RTS that relied on micro and map awareness. People just aren't cut out for it anymore. But I salute Relic for trying one more time.

The lack of rebindable keys is really crazy. Totalbiscuit even called it out in his video because it's such a standard PC game thing. Especially after SC2's amazing controls/keybinds options.

I love that so many of the units have castable abilities as well as the elites. Gives me stuff to focus on when armies clash instead of just sit and watch!

zoukka

The models are amazing in this game. I pity everyone who disses them as low-poly or whatever crap, they have so many cool details and animations. Can't wait to see more races and more units.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The models are amazing in this game. I pity everyone who disses them as low-poly or whatever crap, they have so many cool details and animations. Can't wait to see more races and more units.
They're not bad but the previous game had more details to the models.

koji

Oh dear it looks like this game is dead in the water already, been having a lot of fun with the multiplayer but as said earlier in this thread, who still wants to bother with a 10/15hour learning curve to get a grip on the multiplayer...

Game has a couple issues but it doesn't deserve all this hate, holy shit.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Oh dear it looks like this game is dead in the water already, been having a lot of fun with the multiplayer but as said earlier in this thread, who still wants to bother with a 10/15hour learning curve to get a grip on the multiplayer...

Game has a couple issues but it doesn't deserve all this hate, holy shit.
Personally I like the change but not the complete turn around to as heavy handed as it is now, especially without the option for keybinds to soften the blow a bit.

Just not what people expected from relic looking at their record but even then, seems like the best selling DoW to date, looking at steamspy.
Indeed, but the scale is different and thus the models need to reflect this difference, otherwise the screen would be too busy and cluttered.
Not sure it would cause clutter but it would lead to 3v3s being more heavy on a system of course, but that could be fixed with a "HD" pack or options.

Stevey

New hotfix

Hotfix: May 2, 2017
2 MAY - KAT_RE
Fixed a sync error in squad movement that was occurring in some multiplayer games
Fixed a crash that some players encountered in Mission 3 after destroying the last Waaagh! Tower
Fixed a crash that some players encountered in the tutorial missions when completing objectives too quickly
Fixed an uncommon crash that sometimes occurred when AI took over for a disconnected teammate in multiplayer

Top Bottom