• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III |OT| This one really is Warcraft 4

Tecnniqe

Banned
People don't know what cheese means :D

tenor.gif

zoukka

How do you cheese something that expensive?

Just skip marines.

The spam is effective because the unit is probably the strongest tier1 unit and gets true damage when you get the power swords. They literally kill anything with them.

lol every single match against marines. Skip SM and rush 2 ASM. Crush anything I can build as orks.

Played a bunch over the beta and these past couple days, but I have a question about Elite points. I seem to do decently well, but it feels like I'm behind on Elite points. They seems to accrue naturally and at a faster rate with an Elite point generator, but is there other ways to get them?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just skip marines.

The spam is effective because the unit is probably the strongest tier1 unit and gets true damage when you get the power swords. They literally kill anything with them.

lol every single match against marines. Skip SM and rush 2 ASM. Crush anything I can build as orks.

Is it really cheese if its the only viable way to not literally suicide your units?

zoukka

Is it really cheese if its the only viable way to not literally suicide your units?

Well cheese means something is op. ASM seem like that as for now, but I'm no pro. In the previous games the power swords gave them different bonus, now they can slice through vehicles as well which means the only real counter to them is heavy CC and you might not always have access to it.

Played a bunch over the beta and these past couple days, but I have a question about Elite points. I seem to do decently well, but it feels like I'm behind on Elite points. They seems to accrue naturally and at a faster rate with an Elite point generator, but is there other ways to get them?

Nope that's it.

deoee

Cheese does not mean something is op.

Cheese is something unconventional, unusual strategy that catches your enemy by surprise and gives you the upper hand or win.

These jump Squads from Space Marines are OP as hell, way too much structural damage very early in the game. Anyways, just beat a space marine in a very long game after I turtled a bit and spammed Eldar Vypers and destroyed his economy. If you fuck with my resource points early game by jumping everywhere, I do it to you in late game!

deoee

These jump Squads from Space Marines are OP as hell, way too much structural damage very early in the game. Anyways, just beat a space marine in a very long game after I turtled a bit and spammed Eldar Vypers and destroyed his economy. If you fuck with my resource points early game by jumping everywhere, I do it to you in late game!

Imo what's OP on them is the one Doctrine making them jump straight.

SM can also use Ironmaw + Rocket Launcher to "melt" buildings btw.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
CDKey's is now down to $36.99 USD.

Cheese does not mean something is op.

Cheese is something unconventional, unusual strategy that catches your enemy by surprise and gives you the upper hand or win.

No, the RTS definition of cheese, is a powerful, effective strategy, that takes little skill to utilize correctly.

Well cheese means something is op. ASM seem like that as for now, but I'm no pro. In the previous games the power swords gave them different bonus, now they can slice through vehicles as well which means the only real counter to them is heavy CC and you might not always have access to it.

Nope that's it.

ive been watching vindicarex stream and pretty much he says thats all sm can do early game b/c tact marines arent great until you give them the flamer and are super outclassed in t1. He also takes the dreadnaught elite that gives asm a different jump as well so they have 3 in total. He made a balance patch post in the forums that does address how good asm are.

Nere

Devastator Marines are actually amazing if protected, they can literally take down infantry in seconds and with the doctorine they can pin enemy units and elites and decimate them, especially with assault terminators on the field, because they don't need set up time.

Tactical Space Marines are also amazing with either the flamer early game or the plasma guns late game. Early game even non-upgrade tacticals are the most resilient infantry at the start of the game.

I really think the game is pretty balanced and assault marines are definately not the only good units as many people make it seem here.

I must not understand Orks or something, but just struggling already on campaign mission 2. Boyz all get slaughtered instantly, they have no toughness it feels like and once the Eldar show up, I can't keep up with the waves of Eldar who just shred through my orks so they just then are pouncing on Gorgutz. And then having to replay the entire mission which is annoyingly long since you have to keep making more boyz and running them over to you each time. so it's creep up, make more boyz, creep up make more boyz.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I must not understand Orks or something, but just struggling already on campaign mission 2. Boyz all get slaughtered instantly, they have no toughness it feels like and once the Eldar show up, I can't keep up with the waves of Eldar who just shred through my orks so they just then are pouncing on Gorgutz. And then having to replay the entire mission which is annoyingly long since you have to keep making more boyz and running them over to you each time. so it's creep up, make more boyz, creep up make more boyz.

Are you remembering to scrap them up? They get more durable like that.

teepo

i had the most interesting match. my ork teammate was doing orky things albeit with not much finesse or skill but orky nonetheless. we dominated our early match ups and gained a significant portion of the map while amassing a large army before reaching 3 elite points.

things took a turn for the worst when he called in the da kommando. he completely abandoned his large army by tucking them away in his base and solely diverted his attention to controlling his elite to abuse the team with booby traps while remaining cloaked. dude had zero interest in winning the game and simply didn't give a shit.

to him, the game turned into a moba once he got his elite and nothing else mattered. we ended up losing miserably in a long drawn out match

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Am I the only one, with the problem of the Windows taskbar always being visible, and preventing camera scrolling in its direction?

edit: nvm I think I fixed it

Tecnniqe

Banned

Nope that's it.
I'm not gonna classify cheesing as ASM being OP when all the units are so expensive you have no other option. Either that or sending resources to the slaughter and even then you can kite them later on. They're not a super unit but when ork have numbers on you and eldar got shield that make them very favorable in trading what else are you gonna do?

i had the most interesting match. my ork teammate was doing orky things albeit with not much finesse or skill but orky nonetheless. we dominated our early match ups and gained a significant portion of the map while amassing a large army before reaching 3 elite points.

things took a turn for the worst when he called in the da kommando. he completely abandoned his large army by tucking them away in his base and solely diverted his attention to controlling his elite to abuse the team with booby traps while remaining cloaked. dude had zero interest in winning the game and simply didn't give a shit.

to him, the game turned into a moba once he got his elite and nothing else mattered. we ended up losing miserably in a long drawn out match
The reason he did that is most likely because the dumb game promotes it due to elite exp.

Bolivar687

Banned

Destroying objective structures (Shield Generators and Turrets) also gives you 1 bonus Elite Point a piece. Killing Elites in previous builds used to give an Elite point, it doesn't seem like they still do now.

Holding down Elite Point generators reduces the accrual rate from 120 seconds down to 90. In maps with two Elite Point generators, if you can cap both or just harass your opponents, you can build an enormous EP deficit.

Boyz have pretty high HP, the key is to split them up to each tie up different ranged units, (who they should beat 1-on-1 in melee) and use Gorgutz to mop them up with his hookshot stun and whirlwind to block incoming ranged damage to your boyz while dealing damage over time to whoever you're locking down. Try to use their channeled waaagh! so they can close without suffering casualties and maintain their unit count while opposing squads lose theirs.

remz

The ASM jump is what makes them so hard to beat for me, because if they have 2-3 squads they can chainstun the shit out of you while your units steadily get melted by any and all ranged fire they might have. Jump makes them hard to suppress with something like lootaz because they can just jump on them too! :(

The more I play this game the more I like it. Hope the aus p[layerbase doesn't die

zoukka

Yeah this game is solid as fuck. I saw some good streamers countering that ASM spam with Lootas and just fortifying your positions with Posts. It feels weird since ASM should be the counter to Lootas, but with good positioning they will always jump to a Looa fire and possibly a Listening post range.

I guess you just don't try to push against ASM spam.

The first thing they need to balance our for this game are the instanuke abilities of many heroes. It's just not balanced right now when you can't really hope to dodge those skillshots and they wipe out 2-3 squads in early game.

Also killing the shild gen and turret should give some kind of bonus to your income or something, some players just love to turtle forever in their base. This is why DoW2 was amazing, the turtles just died to VP bleed.

zoukka

Can't wait for the ASM nerf or TCM buff.

I think the most logical nerf to ASM is to increase the Power Sword upgrade cost significantly or make it a per-squad upgrade. With 75 power you now upgrade your whole ASM blob to fucking true damage which is silly.

Can't wait for the ASM nerf or TCM buff.

I think the most logical nerf to ASM is to increase the Power Sword upgrade cost significantly or make it a per-squad upgrade. With 75 power you now upgrade your whole ASM blob to fucking true damage which is silly.

Power swords getting put on a per-squad basis seems likely, with flamer/plasma upgrades on Tacs getting reduced costs. Right now there is no reason why getting one flamer on one tac squad costs over double of getting power weapons on all ASM current and future.

That said I'd prefer they buff Tacs than Nerf ASM. Right now ASM are pretty much all the Space Marines have going for them in the early game, what they need are a reason to use Tac heavy opens rather than just making their currently only competetive opening worse.

deoee

I'm with the idea of buffing other units and adjusting costs instead of nerfing.

ASM are just too much fun to use and currently the only viable early game unit SM have.

zoukka

I just think it's dumb that your Tier 1 jump unit has true damage without any loss in dps late game. True damage type should be reserved to a few expensive units not something you can mass and blob in T1.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I know you hate ASM, I don't think they're as bad to face as you make it out to be, but if you nerf them instead of buffing something else, like TM, SM is a dead faction.

ASM is all they have. And they're expensive.

zoukka

I don't hate them. Buff everything else and then nerf them. Don't even need to touch anything but the damage type of power swords.

And I agree that TM's suck, they need buffs.

Top Bottom