• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: Secret meeting held to establish Trump-Putin back channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's definitely not going away anytime soon.

Like you said, the media's reporting on it, with new details coming out almost daily. Despite the Trump administration's efforts to change the subject with things like the Obama wiretapping claims, the reporters haven't lost their focus on the Russia story (or have at least not shifted too much away from it).

Plus the Senate Intelligence Committee are holding their hearings, and the FBI have been investigating since July.

I get people not wanting to get their hopes up for this shitty administration to end before the first or *shivers* possibly second term, but to say "nothing will come of this" isn't being skeptical, it's being outright dismissive.

Depends on how you define "nothing".

If Trump isn't removed from office or major parts of his administration are not charged or removed, then what good is it?

Damaged political capital isn't what I want to see here. Trump as a lame duck is still terrible for the world.

KingV

If Trump isn't removed from office or major parts of his administration are not charged or removed, then what good is it?

Damaged political capital isn't what I want to see here. Trump as a lame duck is still terrible for the world.

It's good to have the Republican majority tied to a candidate that is widely regarded as corrupt or invalid. It boxes them in, and creates a barrier to getting anything done.

NandoGip

It's good to have the Republican majority tied to a candidate that is widely regarded as corrupt or invalid. It boxes them in, and creates a barrier to getting anything done.

There's too much on the line for that to be the only results. I'm sure we're both hoping for the same thing, but I will not be satisfied with no change in the current administration

KingV

There's too much on the line for that to be the only results. I'm sure we're both hoping for the same thing, but I will not be satisfied with no change in the current administration

I'm responding specifically to the "what good is it?" above.

Even if Trump somehow weathers the storm. I'd much rather have a a Trump President embroiled in scandal, unpopular with voters, and seen as untrustworthy by politicians in his own party.

If for no other reason then it will keep him distracted.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If any youtube celebrity was racist we'd be at 60 pages.

"don't think he's really a racist, I think when he called Beyonce the n word he was being post ironic and just because he's friends with David Duke doesn't mean he believes the same stuff. You guys should watch his old videos about doing funny graft and crazy deals in Iraq. He's just being controversial to get clicks"

ZOONAMI

Yesterday was bad timing for the story.

I sort of wonder if it's a bit of trump story burn out.

It's like every day another Russia story comes out.

And people come in here and say I'M SHOCKED sarcastically and then move on.

I feel like people will pay less and less attention until the fire drops and there is serious GOP discussion about impeachment.

This is a bad thing of course. The more vocal and upset people are about this shit show of an administration the more likely it is the GOP will actually do something.

If the widespread attitude is, "who cares, this is nothing" that's a problem.

That's exactly what the Russians and the GOP want so nothing happens to trump.

I sort of wonder if it's a bit of trump story burn out.

It's like every day another Russia story comes out.

And people come in here and say I'M SHOCKED sarcastically and then move on.

I think it's more that people more or less see the writing on the wall and are waiting to see what happens on an official level. I pay attention to the leaks like this but what really grabs my interest is what happens in terms of the House and Senate investigations.

This is a huge story, but it's also a case of 'what do we do with this information?" It's a piece of a larger puzzle we're only beginning to see the pieces of.

It doesn't have the urgency of the Flynn immunity deal, which was a spark amidst all the smoke.

The lack of any Congressional hearings at the moment also puts on a damper on the ability to follow through on new information.

Bolivar687

Banned
Betsy DeVos' Blackwater-founding brother established a back channel to Putin in the Seychelles.

Seychelles. I found this photo of the meeting facility:

MGSV-Mother-Base.jpg

Arkeband

Banned
If Eric Prince was a racist youtube star we'd be at 60 pages.

Wish I was exaggerating.

It's hard to dissect this problem with GAF without witch hunting certain posters who basically lurk and then go into overdrive to keep those threads bumped, active, and brimming with accusations and drama.

Everyone gets sucked into these, but it takes a concerted effort to keep them going for so long, repeating the same arguments every fifty posts.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's hard to dissect this problem with GAF without witch hunting certain posters who basically lurk and then go into overdrive to keep those threads bumped, active, and brimming with accusations and drama.

Everyone gets sucked into these, but it takes a concerted effort to keep them going for so long, repeating the same arguments every fifty posts.

Gaf is a gaming forum first - so there are rational aspects to the relative passions and activities but it doesn't make it less sad.

Rush Limbaugh was mouthing when I turned my car on to leave for work earlier, he was saying "all they have is a fake dossier that claims trump hired prostitutes to pee on the obamas bed, this stuff is made up!"

As if that's all "we" have. He went on to say CNN is failing and doesn't have an audience, even though they are doing better now than they have in decades.

With mouthpieces like him, the uphill battle is real. It's so disheartening to know that people just gobble up actual lies and opinions without an ounce of thought.

One possible upside to the idea of Trump having collaborated with Russia becoming so ingrained that people are cynical about Trump ever facing consequences is that the idea that Trump did indeed collaborate with Russia is now widespread. And that's the case despite how much the GOP likes to talk about leaks. In Trump's words, I know it, you know it, everybody knows it, but the GOP is pretending that isn't the case for as long as they need to be able to get their agenda rubber-stamped.

Punjicide

I agree that this isn't good for the world, but with the policies he has tried to push through, and his general demeanor towards other leaders (and really, anyone who isn't with him 100%), he's already doing damage. There is very little incentive to work with him when he says he's willing to work with Democrats, then blasts them the very next day on Twitter.

As much as I hate it, this is where we're at, and it is mostly a mess of his own making.

tirminyl

Just getting caught up on this and it feels like I'm now one of those crazy right wing folks that believe every conspiracy that reaffirm their world view.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't this imply he didn't already have a back channel? I mean, like... I expect trump to highlight this he is so dumb.

"Failing NYT prints more bogus Russia accusations, didn't even have comma back channel till January this year. Sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom