• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: Secret meeting held to establish Trump-Putin back channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingV

Hey guys, anyone concern troll how this will lead to nothing yet? Those are my favorites.

Yes! Springsteen himself. If I wanted to pretend I was American, I couldn't pick a better name than Bruce Springsteen.

It may actually be Chris Christies GAF name.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Not unless republicans are willing to fuck their own president over and cripple their 2020 chances.

Would it fuck them over, though?

Key Repubs spoke out against Trump in the run up to the vote, and they can shrug and say, "Hey you elected him."

It would also allow Repubs to further distance themselves from the alt-right and its extremist ilk, while getting back to campaigning on traditional party values.

Reset button.

Chess, not checkers.

I love how a bit of reasonable skepticism becomes, No you want it to die desperately!!!!

A bit of reasonable skepticism is more than warranted. And the initial flood of "lol you're going down Donnie" posts from the first page of any Russia thread are probably a bit overexcited.

But far more annoying are the unreasonably dismissive posts: "nothing will come of this" or "his base won't care". That's not reasonable skepticism, especially not with the investigation still this active.

We're sort of in a mid-point with this Russia investigation. We're far too early to say this will certainly be the end of Donald Trump's presidency, but the story has developed too far for anyone to adamantly insist it won't end in some consequences for his administration.

DiscoJer

How come this isn't the headline story on news networks?

It's actually somewhat funny. On Fox News and various right wing sites, the story of the day is Susan Rice and their fantasizing over Obama/Clinton somehow going to jail for spying (which changes from day to day from wiretapping to now unmasking) on Trump and his cronies.

You have half the country thinking the leadership of other half is going to jail or somesuch, when in reality, no one will

KHarvey16

It's actually somewhat funny. On Fox News and various right wing sites, the story of the day is Susan Rice and their fantasizing over Obama/Clinton somehow going to jail for spying (which changes from day to day from wiretapping to now unmasking) on Trump and his cronies.

You have half the country thinking the leadership of other half is going to jail or somesuch, when in reality, no one will

Equating those two narratives is pure ignorance.

ericexpo

I'm thinking this is taking so long cause they want sweep up everyone, this will look like the end of winter solider

KHarvey16

I'm thinking this is taking so long cause they want sweep up everyone, this will look like the end of winter solider

Seriously though nothing about this is taking a long time. It's moving incredibly fast for an investigation of this magnitude. Usually there are rumors an investigation is happening and then 18 months later indictments are unsealed and everyone is raided. The speed of this and the feedback we're getting is unprecedented.

Surfinn

Trump could

ericexpo

I actually don't think it's taking long, I said that wrong. I think people on here are complaining about it taking time. I'm actually surprised how much information we are getting almost each day.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I actually don't think it's taking long, I said that wrong. I think people on here are complaining about it taking time. I'm actually surprised how much information we are getting almost each day.

I am too honestly I think it is because Trump fucked with the Intelligence Communities so much.

Acorn

I do worry that the volume of shit is sort of normalising scandals that would normally kill off politicans. For instance I had forgotten about Sessions lying during his confirmation hearing and having to recuse himself.

Reeks

Seriously though nothing about this is taking a long time. It's moving incredibly fast for an investigation of this magnitude. Usually there are rumors an investigation is happening and then 18 months later indictments are unsealed and everyone is raided. The speed of this and the feedback we're getting is unprecedented.

Cannot be said enough.

The issue is that due to Chaffetz and Nunes, we're all locked into the FBI & co's timetable for learning all the details. Plus, when the bits of information release often depend on countering Trump's occasional bid for a good news cycle. As we've seen with Buzzfeed's Steele drop, neither the FBI nor many news organizations immediately share what may be vital details. (Not that Buzzfeed is above the occasional "cool it with the Russia" article.)

Now, I'm not on board with the mentality of "let's stop, we don't want the FBI to [somehow] seize unlimited power if they're the ones to prove he's guilty", but this kind of controlled rate of development is anxiety-provoking when any day an unexpected crisis could lead to more war or Katrina-level response from the empty federal government.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
obama-trump-handshake.jpg

I like to think Obama told Trump about the investigation and how short lived his presidency will be.

/fanfic
It's all in the letter left in the Oval Office desk, obama had the last troll. "Don't get used to this chair."

wandering

Banned

Worth noting that it took 2 years after Watergate for Nixon to resign.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Which billionaire will be the first to panic? DeVos? Prince? Tillerson? So far only little incompetent people like Flynn and Page.

Seeing all the leaks has made me really worry about the end game here. How does everyone react. How deep does it actually go. What happens after.

Hey guys, anyone concern troll how this will lead to nothing yet? Those are my favorites.

Is it really concern trolling?

If this fizzles into nothing over time, I do fear of a backlash in which people become more distrusting of the media networks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is it really concern trolling?

If this fizzles into nothing over time, I do fear of a backlash in which people become more distrusting of the media networks.

The media is doing its job finally. The Democrats are sort of trying. If it fizzles out then it will be because of a single party which already threw the economy, race and gender under a bus. Why not everything else?

Anyway it won't fizzle out. Too many fuses lit.

chadskin

Really curious why they thought they'd need a back channel to communicate with the Russian government, usually that's reserved for countries with which the US has no diplomatic relations like North Korea or Iran.

I'm guessing there's more to this story and the people involved than was revealed today.

Really curious why they thought they'd need a back channel to communicate with the Russian government, usually that's reserved for countries with which the US has no diplomatic relations like North Korea or Iran.

You need a back channel when you're selling your country out.

Punjicide

The media is doing its job finally. The Democrats are sort of trying. If it fizzles out then it will be because of a single party which already threw the economy, race and gender under a bus. Why not everything else?

Anyway it won't fizzle out. Too many fuses lit.
Yeah, it's definitely not going away anytime soon.

Like you said, the media's reporting on it, with new details coming out almost daily. Despite the Trump administration's efforts to change the subject with things like the Obama wiretapping claims, the reporters haven't lost their focus on the Russia story (or have at least not shifted too much away from it).

Plus the Senate Intelligence Committee are holding their hearings, and the FBI have been investigating since July.

I get people not wanting to get their hopes up for this shitty administration to end before the first or *shivers* possibly second term, but to say "nothing will come of this" isn't being skeptical, it's being outright dismissive.

I'm guessing there's more to this story and the people involved than was revealed today.

A backchannel is useful when you need to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Punjicide

A backchannel is useful when you need to talk out of both sides of your mouth.
Which certainly would be convenient to keep relations tight with Russia, while the State Department spokesman Mark Toner criticized Russia's crackdown on protesters last week:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/sasse-russia-protests-trump-putin-236524

And while UN ambassador Nikki Haley condemns Russia as well, while saying that Trump isn't holding her back: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/nikki-haley-trump-russia-united-nations-236781

He gets to look tough on Russia, while staying cozy with them.

Assuming they are anywhere near that competent to orchestrate​ something like this, of course.

Edit: Then again, after the St. Petersburg subway bombing and Trump's response to it, that other stuff I mentioned might be moot at this point.

DOWN

Banned
Sadly trump has shown that no one can be sure he will fall no matter what info we seem to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom