• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: Secret meeting held to establish Trump-Putin back channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy.brush

When were the original ones compromised?

Because being a candidate on the road all year and living in the White House are two very different scenarios?

Their original channels of communication might have been the Trump server communicating with the Alfa bank server which had been compromised.
The Seychelles meeting was held Jan 11th. One day after Buzzfeed leaked the Steele dossier that had circled around in various media/journalistic outlets.
So there was plenty to sync about.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
FYI, the alleged server that was communicating with Trump Tower to Russia was being conducted by Spectrum Health, located in Grand Rapids.

Guess who's chairman of the board for Spectrum? Dick Devos, Betsy's husband.
Guess which city Trump visited the most on his campaign trail? Grand Rapids.

http://www.salon.com/2017/03/10/tru...-a-russian-bank-continues-to-be-investigated/

Are there any other sites also reporting this?

Either way, the walls are starting to close in.

When were the original ones compromised?

From the article:

When the Seychelles meeting took place, official contacts between members of the incoming Trump administration and the Russian government were under intense scrutiny, both from federal investigators and the press.

Less than a week before the Seychelles meeting, U.S. intelligence agencies released a report accusing Russia of intervening clandestinely during the 2016 election to help Trump win the White House.

The FBI was already investigating communications between Flynn and Kislyak. The Washington Post’s David Ignatius first disclosed those communications on Jan. 12, around the time of the Seychelles meeting. Flynn was subsequently fired by Trump for misleading Vice President Pence and others about his discussions with Kislyak.

Nafai1123

Banned
There's no way they could turn this into a movie. There's way too much to cover in 2 hours. Needs to be an HBO miniseries at least.

slider

Keep going, media. One of these stories has to get the attention of core Republican voters I hope.

"The UAE" acting as an intermediary, for whoever, with Russian contacts surprises me.

ZOONAMI

Part of it is that the investigaton takes time, but I would guess that part of the slow drip feed from the IC is also that they want to try and convince (former) Trump voters that their messiah is a fraud.
If all bombs would be dropped simultanously it would look a heck of a lot like a coup for his fringe base.
If you go slow you have a chance to win back minds with facts and dismantle the poisonous alt-right alt-fact climate and get folks comfortable with the idea that the whole administration is compromised to the core.

I do think this is part of it. It's a measured and planned investigation that is also designed to limit the fallout from a trump impeachment (if the weight of the info is in fact enough for the GOP congress to admit they need to do something). Problem is a slow drip may sort of limit the weight of the evidence.

We still need a smoking gun apparently, but to me it sort of seems like we already have it, if press reports at least are rock solid on actual trump confidantes and staffers colluding on election interference. Maybe that isn't enough. We need the fire to be that yes trump was aware of all of this, in fact promised dropping Russian sanctions in return for $ (most likely the Rosneft deal) and here is the money trail. Or if they can prove definitively that the Russians have kompromat (and here is the tape) and actively are using it to get trump/got trump to do x, y, and z.

Guy.brush

I do think this is part of it. It's a measured and planned investigation that is also designed to limit the fallout from a trump impeachment (if the weight of the info is in fact enough for the GOP congress to admit they need to do something). Problem is a slow drip may sort of limit the weight of the evidence.

We still need a smoking gun apparently, but to me it sort of seems like we already have it, if press reports at least are rock solid on actual trump confidantes and staffers colluding on election interference. Maybe that isn't enough. We need the fire to be that yes trump was aware of all of this, in fact promised dropping Russian sanctions in return for $ (most likely the Rosneft deal) and here is the money trail. Or if they can prove definitively that the Russians have kompromat (and here is the tape) and actively are using it to get trump/got trump to do x, y, and z.

FOLLOW THE MONEY.
all-the-presiden-t-men.gif

Zolo

We need the fire to be that yes trump was aware of all of this, in fact promised dropping Russian sanctions in return for $ (most likely the Rosneft deal) and here is the money trail. Or if they can prove definitively that the Russians have kompromat (and here is the tape) and actively are using it to get trump/got trump to do x, y, and z.

To me, this is pretty much the big thing, though it's obviously still going to be a hard sell to ask Republicans to actively shoot themselves in the foot rather than just letting it get shot from not doing anything. Then again, with Trump already making enemies....

AlphaDump

Gold Member
FYI, the alleged server that was communicating with Trump Tower to Russia was being conducted by Spectrum Health, located in Grand Rapids.

Guess who's chairman of the board for Spectrum? Dick Devos, Betsy's husband.
Guess which city Trump visited the most on his campaign trail? Grand Rapids.

http://www.salon.com/2017/03/10/tru...-a-russian-bank-continues-to-be-investigated/

CNN too (referenced in Salon article) http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/09/politics/fbi-investigation-continues-into-odd-computer-link-between-russian-bank-and-trump-organization/

From May 4 until September 23, the Russian bank looked up the address to this Trump corporate server 2,820 times -- more lookups than the Trump server received from any other source.

As noted, Alfa Bank alone represents 80% of the lookups, according to these leaked internet records.

Far back in second place, with 714 such lookups, was a company called Spectrum Health.

Spectrum is a medical facility chain led by Dick DeVos, the husband of Betsy DeVos, who was appointed by Trump as U.S. education secretary.

Together, Alfa and Spectrum accounted for 99% of the lookups.

Keep going, media. One of these stories has to get the attention of core Republican voters I hope.

"The UAE" acting as an intermediary, for whoever, with Russian contacts surprises me.

I've theorized that Reza Pahlavi (the successor to the Shah) has a son or sons hidden away. I wouldn't be shocked if rival kingdoms like the UAE have been protecting them for decades. If you're the successor to the throne of Iran you don't just stop after you have 3 daughters.

Edit: I imagine it's an open secret to people in the know. It's also a good way to protect the rest of the family such as Patrick Ali Pahlavi and his family.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I fucking knew DeVos factored into this somehow.

Pretty much anyone he appoints is in deep. Anyone that watched her hearings before confirmation knew she was just a fucking shill and has zero business being placed in her position.

She gave possibly the worst answers in the history of job interviews at her hearing and all those Republicans that forced her in deserve to go down along with this administration. Just disgusting.

jelly

Wild. The workload to unravel this must be insane. God speed IC. Look forward to the takedowns when the day comes.

Jasoneyu

Probably. It's only Monday, we have this story, and the one of Carter Page saying he met with a russian spy. I can't believe it's only Monday.

It's like everyday of the week something crazy comes up (unless its the weekend and trump tweets something insane that starts something up by monday). When will this train end?

kaskade

It's amazing this man is still president. The Republican Party disgusts me, all the calling for lock her up and they don't make any real moves to get to the bottom of this.

This is about as close to a smoking gun as we're probably going to get, folks. Time to start screaming at your representatives for impeachment, ESPECIALLY if your rep is GOP.

I believe that in any other non-dictatorship/corrupt government or actual 1st world country, this kind of news would have led to some actual consequences for the existing administration.

But similar to the other shady as fuck news leaks, nothing will unfortunately happen from this.

WTF America....

It's hard to keep up with all the shit that surfaces every day. At some point Anderson Cooper and his design guy will have to televise flowcharts 24/7.

http://i.imgur.com/LVHVYpZ.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2A5zV3A.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OTW73py.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LVHVYpZ.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2A5zV3A.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OTW73py.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LVHVYpZ.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2A5zV3A.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OTW73py.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

most accurate flowchart

More and more every week. Even with all the leaks I doubt we know even a quarter of what's been uncovered in the FBI investigation.

kmg90

For the "nothing will come from this" people.. This is a huge investigation. Its like building a shopping mall. This shit takes time and just remember a LOT is going on behind the scenes and will be for months if not years.

watergate took over a year to lead to president Nixon resigning (Avoiding impeachment)....

Buckle

For the "nothing will come from this" people.. This is a huge investigation. Its like building a shopping mall. This shit takes time and just remember a LOT is going on behind the scenes and will be for months if not years.
I only pray if something is going to come of this, it happens before his presidency is over.

I don't care if it has to be two years from now but really don't want to see this rat get a full legitimate term.

I only pray if something is going to come of this, it happens before his presidency is over.

I don't care if it has to be two years from now but really don't want to see this rat get a full legitimate term.

I don't see how he makes it the full four years, to be completely honest. Sometimes I seriously wonder about his health, and not just mentally. Either he gets taken down politically or his poor diet and stress mismanagement catch up with him, but one way or another, I can't see this going on for four goddamn years.

watergate took over a year to lead to president Nixon resigning (Avoiding impeachment)....
I feel like this statement does not apply here. Times have changed with regards to information and it's ability to be acquired on the back end. The ability to mitigate potentially irreparable damage seemingly depends on the speed of this investigation. I liken it to when someone is having a heart attack, "Time is tissue".

Zolo

I feel like this statement does not apply here. Times have changed with regards to information and it's ability to be acquired on the back end. The ability to mitigate potentially irreparable damage seemingly depends on the speed of this investigation. I liken it to when someone is having a heart attack, "Time is tissue".
There still has to be interrogations and talks with people who are involved along with those that will be brought in to talk with the Senate investigation.

GAF. What the actual fuck is going on here? Whats it going to take?

A formal charge or accusation by authorities. Well, unless it's a leak like the pee-pee tape where things would ramp up quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom