• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not able to get the MSI Afterburner overlay working, however. The game doesn't boot with application detection on low.

Are you using v3.0? It introduced support for 64-bit exes.

watch_dogs_2014_05_2702sak.jpg

cripterion

i5 3570K @ 4.2ghz
16 gb of ram
SLI asus GTX 670 2gb
@1080P

Found the sweet spot for me :

TXAAx2
Textures - high
Shader - high
LOD - ultra
Reflections - ultra
Water - ultra
Shadows - high

Putting the very same settings but with shadows set to ultra, I get stuttering while driving, with the settings above game runs flawlessly.

I hacked 2 people but got smoked twice, it is too easy to get spotted in certain areas, my target was in the industrial area where there really isn't lot of fellas around so once he saw me I was toast. People that come to my world get a good taste of my shotgun too.
As I previously said, the lack of mechanics for the invader to blend in is sorely lacking, I wished at least they let us adopt an NPC "pose" or let us sit on benches.

Has anybody had any crashes yet? Twice now while attempting to hack electronic billboards I crashed to the desktop.

Anyway, my specs:

i7-4770k stock
16 GB RAM
780 Ti SLI

Running everything at ultra (HBAO High, TXAA 4X, etc). On average I'm probably getting about 60 FPS, but it frequently drops into the 50's briefly and even into the 40's sometimes. When I'm driving there are frequent frame rate drops to the 40's, which has made driving a pain in the ass sometimes. Not happy with those drops at all. Tomorrow I'll either tweak my settings to find a sweet spot or lock the frame rate at 30 FPS.

My game crashed once and that's when I attempted to hack a billboard too.

antonz

i5 2500K at 4.0ghz
16GB Ram
4GB R9 290

1980x1020
Temporal AA
Textures - Ultra
Shader - high
LOD - ultra
Reflections - ultra
Water - ultra
Shadows - ultra

40-60 FPS when on foot depending on environments
30 FPS when driving.

This is before the drivers that are supposed to improve performance up to almost 30% from AMD. Could probably boost CPU for improved performance too as my OC is on low end.

All the talk of i5s being obsolete are way overstated.

KaiserAlucard

Neo Member
i5 3570K @ 4.2ghz
16 gb of ram
SLI asus GTX 670 2gb
@1080P

Found the sweet spot for me :

TXAAx2
Textures - high
Shader - high
LOD - ultra
Reflections - ultra
Water - ultra
Shadows - high

Putting the very same settings but with shadows set to ultra, I get stuttering while driving, with the settings above game runs flawlessly.
Crap, I have basically the same config as you, an i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz, same CGs and 8Gb RAM, I was hoping there would be no stuttering. Hope it will be patched real soon because it's really annoying...

Ryzinn

Neo Member
guys I need some serious help here.

Runnin the game on an old ASUS RoG lappy that I've had for a few years. It's got a GTX 560M in it so I'm definitely not squeezing 60FPS like some of you fellas but I'm getting a decent 30fps at mid/high settings.

HOWEVER, during the daytime in game, literally every shadow in the outside environments blinks and flashes. I don't understand what could possibly be causing this. It's not artifacts from overclocking and i've tried messing with some of my settings to no avail. Pretty disappointed in ubi's optimization.

any advice?

cripterion

Crap, I have basically the same config as you, an i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz, same CGs and 8Gb RAM, I was hoping there would be no stuttering. Hope it will be patched real soon because it's really annoying...

I think you should be fine, just don't expect to put textures on ultra.

I could get away with shadows in ultra if I didn't use txaa but it has much more impact on IQ than the ultra setting for the shadows imo. Same thing for water on ultra vs high, haven't seen any difference there but then again I'm not seeing any noticeable drop from high to ultra.

Maybe I should further tweak the settings in the XML file but I'm quite happy with the performance and how the game looks.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Someone should really try and hax that DoF to be permanent. Looks cray on Denis' screens.

BPoole

i5 2500K at 4.0ghz
16GB Ram
4GB R9 290

1980x1020
TXAAx2
Textures - Ultra
Shader - high
LOD - ultra
Reflections - ultra
Water - ultra
Shadows - ultra

40-60 FPS when on foot depending on environments
30 FPS when driving.

This is before the drivers that are supposed to improve performance up to almost 30% from AMD. Could probably boost CPU for improved performance too as my OC is on low end.

All the talk of i5s being obsolete are way overstated.

TXAA works with AMD cards? I thought that was Nvidia exclusive

wiggleb0t

Banned
Anyone able to comment on 3D?
I missed the origin India deal by a week so went with G2A for a try in April, though once key is received will still take me a good 12-14 hours to download. Hanging for input if 3D is even an option on anything but quad titans? Also other G2A buyers?

Also, from pirates > quad Titan > SWAT articles this thread and the other has been very very unusual.

greg400

Banned
How accurate are the listed minimum specs as far as the GPU is concerned?

Are we talking totally unplayable on GPU's in the AMD 6500 or 6600 range?

Aeana

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/827/bench/CPU_01.png[IMG]

So much for needing an i7 or a CPU that scores over 9000 in passmark.[/QUOTE]
This just proves more to me that everybody who was complaining about CPU utilization issues in the last thread must have had that bitcoin miner going taking up power.

"i5 is doomed" indeed.

GHG

This just proves more to me that everybody who was complaining about CPU utilization issues in the last thread must have had that bitcoin miner going taking up power.

"i5 is doomed" indeed.

Yep I said as much in that thread once the bitcoin mining thing came to light.

Glad to see now that the dust has settled and we are getting info from more reputable sources things are much better than expected.

Arkanius

"i5 is doomed" indeed.

lol, was the Bitcoin miner story true?

I really want to install the 14.6 drivers and test the performance later on, but damn, why haven't AMD released them yet through the official channels?

hodgy100

nice! performance isnt as bad as i thought. it seems this would be very playable on a 750ti (~£110) with and i3 at high settings (console equivalent) budget PC gaming redeemed!

Arkanius

nice! performance isnt as bad as i thought. it seems this would be very playable on a 750ti (~£110) at high settings (console equivalent) budget PC gaming redeemed!

750ti is a great card for the price point. But yeah, I'm enjoying this new gen trend, PC games don't seem to be optimized like ass compared to previous gen.

Anyone having crashing issues? Have a 4GB card so the ultra textures shouldn't be an issue and I've locked the game to 30 which the game holds to 99% of the time so I'm not sure why it keeps crashing every 30 minutes or so :/

ktroopa

GTX 760 2GB and I7-2600K @ 4.2GHz 8GB RAM

game runs good but fps seems locked to 30fps. ive turned off all vsync in game and used Nvidia CP to turn on vsync, but in game msi afterburner reports fps locked at 30fps. i remember smething similar going on with far cry 3 - any ideas?

when i use in game vsync i still get tearing

GHG

What GPU was it using?

the maximum performance we extracted from the HIS R9 290X iPower IceQ X² Turbo 4GB when using the ultra-quality settings was 82fps and this was achieved with Core i7 and Core i5 processors. The AMD FX series also performed well, as the FX-8350 averaged 79fps and the FX-6350 hit 76fps to match the low-end Core i3-4130.
The quad-core FX-4320 struggled with just 67fps, but it was fast compared to the A8-7600 quad-core APU which allowed for just 52fps.The Haswell-based Pentium G3320 averaged just 51fps and the Celeron G1820 was even slower with 45fps.
The most shocking results probably came from the octa-core Phenom II X6 1100T which averaged just 49fps, while the quad-core X4 980 was a fraction faster with 50fps. AMD's new AM1 budget platform didn't fare so well either with 23fps, while the A4-4000 dual-core APU averaged even less with 22fps, on par with Intel's Celeron J1800.

Basically, an overclocked 290x.

Phinor

"i5 is doomed" indeed.

Personally I was really curious. Did they actually manage to create a game that utilizes 8 cores so well that a vastly more powerful 4 core CPU would struggle. Well that didn't happen at all. I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon with games but when they actually recommend 8 cores or 3770k, it's always interesting to see if their recommendation actually made any sense.

Beepos

I want a lock on 60 frames and as clean as possible IQ with little jaggies even if I sacrifiace some graphcis - what settings should I use to achieve this? Everything is at stock.

i7 4770k
8GB
GTX 670 2gb
Wins 8.1

CPU_01.png

So much for needing an i7 or a CPU that scores over 9000 in passmark.

Wrongly done benchmark - it's obvious he made it in non cpu intensive place

Here's what Purepc got:

http://www.purepc.pl/karty_graficzn...e_test_kart_graficznych_i_procesorow?page=0,6

R- means core, W means thread

dual core cpu like pentium are dead, going for i3 gives huge gains over 2 core only

4 core i5 without oc gives good performance but i7 with same 3,5 Ghz clock speed will give around 15% more fps

4,5 Ghz i5 around 5% faster than 3,5 Ghz i7

6 core i7 @ 3,5 is close in performance to 4 core i7@ 4,5 Ghz

game can use all 12 threads of Sandy Bridge-E

Seanspeed

Banned
Finally some CPU benchmark.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Watch_Dogs-test-proz_nvidia_ultra.jpg

GameGPU

CPU_01.png

So much for needing an i7 or a CPU that scores over 9000 in passmark.
These two graphs are quite at odds.

The 2nd one might be hitting a GPU bottleneck.

Assuming the first chart is more representative, it looks like

a) the game REALLY likes a good CPU

b) extra cores = noticeable increase in power

c) hyperthreading = noticeable increase in power

d) raw core performance is still massively important(i5's beating AMD's 8 core CPU's), which means overclocking the i5's should mean good results

I want a lock on 60 frames and as clean as possible IQ with little jaggies even if I sacrifiace some graphcis - what settings should I use to achieve this? Everything is at stock.

i7 4770k
8GB
GTX 670 2gb
Wins 8.1

You can go through this tweaking guide:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

The table at the bottom is for around 45 FPS though with a minimum of 35 FPS or something. But you'll have to figure out for yourself what gives the best result.

Gvaz

Banned
I see a lot of people running settings and then reporting framerate. Is there anybody who is targeting roughly 60fps average and wants to report what sort of settings that requires? I know the vsync on this isnt supposed to be great so it probably requires a good amount of overhead but I'm still curious.

either a titan or 770+ in SLI

Seanspeed

Banned
either a titan or 770+ in SLI
Ok, I should be more specific.

What SETTINGS are people targeting 60fps using to achieve that? Would like to know what compromises need to be made to get this for a given system. So post specs, and then post settings.

Top Bottom