• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

kharma45

Finally some CPU benchmark.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Watch_Dogs-test-proz_nvidia_ultra.jpg

GameGPU

CPU_01.png

So much for needing an i7 or a CPU that scores over 9000 in passmark.

lol.

So much for us lot in the I need a new PC thread recommending i5s still, what terrible advice. Good to see all those AMD threads being put to use...

thematic

i7 3770k No OC
8GB RAM
GTX 760 2GB
WHQL 337.88

Texture - High (Ultra = stuttering)
Shadow - High
DoF = OFF
Motion Blur = OFF
AA - SMAA
AO - HBAO+ Low
everything else Ultra/Highest

VRAM usage 1990+ MB
RAM usage 4++ GB

FPS range 45-60 (Adaptive V-Sync forced via NVCPL)
with GTX 760 Overclocked +100 Core, +200 Memory, i got 50-60 fps (still limited by V-Sync)

a few glitch:
- Shadow - Ultra randomly make FPS drop to 20s
- random shadow flickering
- no shadow casts if we standing in front of moving cars at night

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
VRAM is an issue if you care about playing things on Ultra instead of how they look and think buying a $xxx card means you get to move all the sliders to the end.

That said nVidia really should bump up their VRAM next go around.
Wrongly done benchmark - it's obvious he made it in non cpu intensive place

Here's what Purepc got:

http://www.purepc.pl/karty_graficzn...e_test_kart_graficznych_i_procesorow?page=0,6

R- means core, W means thread

dual core cpu like pentium are dead, going for i3 gives huge gains over 2 core only

4 core i5 without oc gives good performance but i7 with same 3,5 Ghz clock speed will give around 15% more fps

4,5 Ghz i5 around 5% faster than 3,5 Ghz i7

6 core i7 @ 3,5 is close in performance to 4 core i7@ 4,5 Ghz

game can use all 12 threads of Sandy Bridge-E
People are going to gloss over this if there is no image, so here it is:

I don't know what section it was (and I'm not familiar with the website), but this is the test that should be done.
Basically all WD wants is 4 fast cores, and it does utilize extra on top of that.

WzHHaMl.png

Downloading the Nvidia deal from Uplay, 40 minutes left! Game should run well on my machine:

3770K @ 4,4
GTX680 OC 2gb (1254 core, 3500 mem)
16gb RAM

GHG

VRAM is an issue if you care about playing things on Ultra instead of how they look and think buying a $xxx card means you get to move all the sliders to the end.

That said nVidia really should bump up their VRAM next go around.

People are going to gloss over this if there is no image, so here it is:

I don't know what section it was (and I'm not familiar with the website), but this is the test that should be done.
Basically all WD wants is 4 fast cores, and it does utilize extra on top of that.

WzHHaMl.png

There is a difference between Ultra and High textures. The Nvidia game guide posted yesterday proves as much.

With regards to it just wanting 4 fast cores... Look at the minimum frames. Looks like you get a much smoother experience if you have 6 cores/12 threads. Is it worth the price difference though? Not at all.

One thing all of these recent releases have proven is that Intel need to start making 6/8 cores standard in their next line of CPU's and Nvidia really need to step their game up when it comes to VRAM.

PC hardware has somewhat stagnated over the last 2-3 years and its largely because we haven't really had any big PC game releases that really push the boundaries. PC gaming is in big need of another Crysis 1 moment IMO.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm using an Xbox 360 controller with the wireless adapter. After running around for like 5-10 minutes, my character just stands running wherever he wants to. As if the directional sticks don't work anymore. It's annoying.

kharma45

There is a difference between Ultra and High textures. The Nvidia game guide posted yesterday proves as much.

With regards to it just wanting 4 fast cores... Look at the minimum frames. Looks like you get a much smoother experience if you have 6 cores/12 threads. Is it worth the price difference though? Not at all.

One thing all of these recent releases have proven is that Intel need to start making 6/8 cores standard in their next line of CPU's and Nvidia really need to step their game up when it comes to VRAM.

PC hardware has somewhat stagnated over the last 2-3 years and its largely because we haven't really had any big PC game releases that really push the boundaries. PC gaming is in big need of another Crysis 1 moment IMO.

It'd be nice to see Intel offer more cores outside of the 2011 socket but we likely won't see that until Skylake launches.

Ok, I should be more specific.

What SETTINGS are people targeting 60fps using to achieve that? Would like to know what compromises need to be made to get this for a given system. So post specs, and then post settings.

Everything set to high with temporal AA on a 760 and I'm mostly getting 60fps @1080p with new drivers, except during heavy action when it drops to 45-50

Newline

Based on that little stretch of gameplay I did, driving around the city, fucking around, it maxed out at 3.574GB. All cores at 100% usage (well, one at 97%), and 5.127GB RAM.
These posts are making me regret my 2GB GTX 770 purchase so bad now. Have pretty much the exact same setup (2500k @ 4.5ghz, GTX 770 2GB and 8GB DDR3 RAM) so i'm guessing i'll be pulling the same kind of results as you but without the ultra textures. Hopefully it doesn't impact the visual fidelity too much.

Pandemic

Does anyone know why Watch Dogs is sort of minimised? As in only the top bar with the red X is visible? It's not full screen.

Edit: Fixed, cheers.

The game instantly crashes if i open MSI afterburner, or doesn't open if it was already running. oh well...
EDIT: Fixed it by putting the Application detection level on low.

TheD

The Detective
Does anyone know of a way to force stupid uplay to use the game files I have instead of redownloading the game?
It will take hours and hours to download the game for me (and thanks to stupid, lazy GMG I did could not download the game when I wanted to), so A friend (with much fast net) has given me his files, but uplay is trying to download the game anyway, even if I close uplay and put the files in the folder it is downloading to.

MaLDo

The game instantly crashes if i open MSI afterburner, or doesn't open if it was already running. oh well...

I can't understand the need for people to use these kind of monitor programs while they play. Such programs can add input lag, performance problems, stutter, etc.. And what do they provide? The certainty that the game doesn't work well? Is not that obvious when it happens?

elektrixx

Banned
GTX 670 4GB
i5 2500K (stock)
8GB RAM

Locked at 30, everything ultra. No drops. I'm so happy. I had buffered frames at 5 but changed it to 1 due to input delay (or video delay, not sure which). I couldn't see a graphical difference so it was fine with me.

I can't believe this actually runs better than Assassin's Creed IV!

I can't understand the need for people to use these kind of monitor programs while they play. Such programs can add input lag, performance problems, stutter, etc.. And what do they provide? The certainty that the game doesn't work well? Is not that obvious when it happens?

I use it for automatic fan speed, so that the fans go faster the hotter it gets. For some reason my Titan doesn't do that automatically, I can't find any NV control panel settings for it either.

Really? never knew about that. Never noticed it anyway. i mostly use it when screenshoting or to measure performance. I would never think a program to measure performance would affect performance.

Overclocked 4,5 Ghz Sandy shows 50+ minimum here so i5 K is still fine.

For me, the temp monitoring is somewhat important when I'm using my laptop.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
760 and FX-8350 here. I've got everything on Ultra except water and shadows and it's locked at a rock solid 30 even with TXAA x2 and HBAO+ on high.

I don't feel that screenshots do the game justice. It's far more impressive in motion, particularly with TXAA and HBAO.

Hey MaLDo, are you planning to work on this game ? Like restoring the DOF and making it permanent :D ?

MaLDo

I use it for automatic fan speed, so that the fans go faster the hotter it gets. For some reason my Titan doesn't do that automatically, I can't find any NV control panel settings for it either.

Nvidia Inspector do that in a very transparent way. BTW, it's a shame if your gpu can't control his own fans speed automatically. I never had that problem, but I don't have a titan ;)

MaLDo

Hey MaLDo, are you planning to work on this game ? Like restoring the DOF and making it permanent :D ?

I still have the job half done for Metal Gear Rising. When I finish the big project at my real work that has tied my mind at 130% for a while, I'll finish it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
for the first game in the new generation that was supposed to humble PC gamers' thrifty bragging, that you can morealess max it out with a three year old CPU and a ~£200 GPU is a pretty good sign. especially when you consider ubi's track record with open world titles.

I'm trying the AMD Catalyst drivers 14.6 beta. I have a 4770K at stock, 16gb Ram, Amd 290x and Win 8.1 64 bits.

The average fps seems to have increased a bit, though not as much as they said. Not 25%, but around 12% more. Still, the real problem is that the mininum fps is untouched, which is what bothers me more. I don't care if the game runs at 55-60fps instead of 48fps in the parts where before ran at 45-50 fps, I wanted improvements in the moments where it runs at 30fps (driving around in the most complex areas), there is even a slight but noticeable microstutter in said areas which makes it feel like 25fps instead of 30.

PC Games Hardware ran a benchmark with some older cards, too. Different settings and resolutions are in the article. They tested them with the latest drivers as well, including the 14.6 beta.

Rg7a57a.png

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Watch...s/Watch-Dogs-Test-GPU-CPU-Benchmarks-1122327/

This seems a much more realistic benchmark. Some others have run around a empty warehouse or something like that, given the discrepancies of their high fps with the actual game. A benchmark should be weighted towards a mix of the critical areas/worst cases of performance and the most common representative gameplay moments. In this game, both more or less coincide: cruising around in the big city with a vehicle.

PC Games Hardware ran a benchmark with some older cards, too. Different settings and resolutions are in the article. They tested them with the latest drivers as well, including the 14.6 beta.

Rg7a57a.png

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Watch...s/Watch-Dogs-Test-GPU-CPU-Benchmarks-1122327/

At least this proves that 2GB cards have trouble with ultra textures, which was to be expected, but still. Seeing that the 2GB cards have much lower minimal framerates than their counterparts.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nice to see i5's aren't out of style, my plan of ugprading to a 2500k in the fall is still in effect then

lol.

So much for us lot in the I need a new PC thread recommending i5s still, what terrible advice. Good to see all those AMD threads being put to use...

What. The i5's are doing just fine, what are you even saying.

Edit: Even after I had my cup of coffee I failed to see the sarcasm in your post. SRY IM DUMB

Dr Dogg

Those CPU benches are making me chuckle, especially seeing an i3 2100 on there with not bad performance. Christ I might tune up the old Q6600 and see what I can get.

Vuze

AMD driver update didn't do shit for me, game runs still pretty bad for me, no way to achieve a locked 60 even on everything turned down to low (i5 4570, 7870).

Sigh, guess the struggle to find a way for "smooth" 30fps continues.

riflen

Those 4K GPU benches are interesting. They may not show problems caused by swapping/fetching due to VRAM limits, but minimum frame rates are usually a pretty good indicator. They're quite similar on 3GB/4GB/6GB/8GB cards and look to trend with GPU clock more than anything. The 780 Ti seems to have the biggest delta between minimum and maximum frames per second, which could be signs of a less consistent experience. Looking forward to trying this out with 2x 780 Ti SLI tonight.

casmith07

Is my pc enough for this

gtx 760
i5-4570 @3.20ghz
8gb ram
1920x1080 monitor
driver ver 337.88
windows 7 ultimate

I just want good framerates and shit, none of those fancy visual effects.

Plenty. My friend has the same card (as do I) but he has a considerably weaker CPU and he runs it on Ultra.

Top Bottom