• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed 68 07/08/11 - Earth Defense Force, Dungeon Siege, Transformers

Jeff Cannata, thanks for replying as much as you do in the GAF-threads.

I didn't really dig the first part of the episode because of the innuendo but hey, First World problems right? I liked the discussion of "placeholder games" that satisfy your need for another game (the Diablo effect). This is the exact reason why I loved Torchlight, not on it's own mechanics but because of the nostalgia factor to early Diablo in a somewhat updated playground. I'm interested if developers actually take advantage of this 'effect', if it even exists that is (it does for me :-D )

JohngPR

Jeff, no offense to Goldmund but you are wasting precious posts that you can be talking to fans of the show. ;)

I agree that the show hasn't had that "something" in a while and honestly I think it's Brian Leahy. As much as he annoyed me because he was a bit of an elitist with how he played and spoke about games, he brought a completely different perspective to the show.

Not only that, despite the fact that I disagreed with his opinion a lot, it wasn't because he didn't express his thoughts well, it was simply a matter of disagreeing. He always did a great job of thoughtfully expressing his opinions.

I don't like Garnett playing Devil's Advocate anymore because it doesn't ring true. He's doing it to incite conversation but what's the point if he has no stake in the outcome?

I'm still a fan of the show and I like hearing everyone that's been on the show. You guys have my respect. :)

I think strong personalities (like Luke Smith and Shane on the old 1up Podcasts and Leahy on WC) make a podcast a lot more interesting to listen to because they are passionate in their beliefs and can appropriately back up their thoughts and stick to them because they are not manufactured.

Outside of that, I really like the podcast. I like Jeff a lot because he always comes off as a fan and not a "jaded game journalist" like some do on other podcasts. There simply isn't enough of that energy on video game podcasts these days. I commend you on that sir!

Keep up the good work guys. Sorry my post is so long!

Proposed Law said:
I just picked up Formula D and it was a blast! My buddies are already set to play again. Good suggestion Jeff.

Use Formula D as a launchpad and you'll find loads of great (somewhat similar games)

boardgamegeek.com --- > If you don't know about it...now you do. Once you get past the layout of the website...it's wildly informative.

Tobor said:
Leahy was awful. I agree the current lineup is missing something, but it isn't Leahy.

I really liked Leahy. He was a good counterpoint to Garnett and Jeff. Give Jeff Mattas a permanent seat. That dude is a joy to listen to.

I think I am back on board with Weekend Confirmed, I was off then they pulled me back in.

Its been a very positive show where the cast seems genuinely excited and interested about games and gaming and honest about what they like and don't like; unlike that other weekly podcast I listen too.

Thanks for the free entertainment.

megamerican

I'm a big fan of Jeff both on TRS and WC. He's got a knack for commentary and criticism. Even when talking about something he doesn't like, he doesn't just dismiss it, he gives interesting insights as to why he doesn't like it. The problem is that he is just too damn polite in the discussions.

Jeff just needs to be more of a dick. Shane and John would have never let Garnett get away with a lot of the bullshit he gets away with on WC. It's as if no one wants to challenge anyone's opinion or something. Don't get me wrong, Garnett is great, but if left unchecked he has a habit of switching into morning-drive DJ mode.

LifEndz

I'm starting to think Garnett has suffered a stroke at some point. It's almost like he's speaking backwards at points during the show.

I enjoyed the show and I like all the people on it.

I understand Andrea's point about not being interested in Final Fantasy and JRPG's, but I was surprised to hear her say that without it prompting a further discussion about her history with JRPGs and gaming in general.

It brings up that discussion about whether it's okay to simply dismiss an entire genre because "I don't play those games". A similar remark was made about Facebook games and Garnett took it upon himself to play a Facebook game and find out what they're actually like. I like that kind of curiosity and have done the same thing in the past with genres I don't have a lot of experience with.

So if there is a Summer Drought, and I'd argue that there isn't, instead of playing a game that you know you'll enjoy, why don't some of the Weekend Confirmed Listeners and on-air talent try to stretch their gaming taste buds a little. Maybe I'll go back and try to finish Lost Odyssey...

JeffCannata

Neo Member
bigdaddygamebot said:
Use Formula D as a launchpad and you'll find loads of great (somewhat similar games)

boardgamegeek.com --- > If you don't know about it...now you do. Once you get past the layout of the website...it's wildly informative.

Believe this. Boardgamegeek is a better website for its hobby than any other website is for any other hobby.

JeffCannata said:
Believe this. Boardgamegeek is a better website for its hobby than any other website is for any other hobby.
Better than Shacknews for gaming?

I believe you've been hoisted by your own pitard, my friend.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Xav: Your information on Metal Gear's online shutdown periods are incorrect. While yes, the original Metal Gear Online did get shut down a year after MGS3S's release, it was because of Konami's decision to migrate players from MGS3 to Portable Ops's infrastructure multiplayer online, more than anything.

However, where you are deathly wrong is in your statement of Peacewalker's "online multiplayer" being shut down.

Peacewalker's "online multiplayer" was never shut down because there is no online infrastructure multiplayer to speak of: Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker is ad-hoc local only, which requires players to utilize the PS3 app Adhoc Party to play Peacewalker online.

SickBoy

Keyser Soze said:
I will still totally give $50 to Child's Play if Mr. Lee grows up for one episode

Those poor children!

I couldn't believe how awkwardly unfunny the first 15 minutes of the show were. I don't think unfunny is unexpected (Jeff has plenty of mildly clever wordplays that totally bomb :).... The issue is the attitude. Garnett sounds like an excitable 13-year-old, laughing at his own jokes "oh my god! Hahahahaha" which are several degrees worse than anyone else's.

He was always on his best behavior when Skip was sort of running the show. Maybe Del Rio needs to step up and tell Garnett to move things along when it gets stupid. (On the topic of Del Rio, it's really not my sort of music, but I hate "can't stop mashaaaaaaaaa")

Seventy5

Android not working is stopping meh shine! It's been broken for like 2 months. Jeff, can you please wrangle some dudes and get that fixed. I have to download the show on my computer and then move it to my phone like back in the olden days! It's torture! /whitewhine

I love the show. I wish they wouldn't gloss over some of the smaller titles they cover sometimes, but I know they only have 2 hours. I also groan at Garnett's jokes and silly innuendo sometimes, but come on guys, it's a gaming podcast with a bunch of dudes that get paid to shoot/slice things and jump on walking mushrooms. There is 98% pure, grown up conversation about gaming, so I don't mind Garnett's dick jokes. This is subject to change next week though if they don't FIX ANDROID GAMEFLAP!

Please fix Android Gameflap. Please.

JeffCannata

Neo Member
SickBoy said:
Those poor children!

I couldn't believe how awkwardly unfunny the first 15 minutes of the show were.

That's the thing, right? We can be silly at the top - or talk about basketball, or meander, or whatever it is this week that makes people say they shut off the show because it was "painful to listen to" - but that is always a very short part of the show. Maybe it is tough for you because it is right at the beginning, but it usually passes fairly quickly and we get on to a very lengthy discussion about a lot of different facets of video games.

These are a group of people who happen to like each other quite a bit. We are friends. And we are enjoying seeing one another (the one time per week we do) and having a good time. And that's what is important, right? We are having fun. I'm not going to "be more of a dick" because I am with my friends and I know the sober games talk will happen all in good time.

Hopefully you guys can get on that train, too.

JohngPR

Dead Man Typing said:
I enjoyed the show and I like all the people on it.

I understand Andrea's point about not being interested in Final Fantasy and JRPG's, but I was surprised to hear her say that without it prompting a further discussion about her history with JRPGs and gaming in general.

As far as JRPG's, I surmised that she pretty much didn't play them period.

Neuromancer said:
Spicer would make a good guest host too.

Don't you mean Plan C? ;)

Curufinwe

JohngPR said:
I agree that the show hasn't had that "something" in a while and honestly I think it's Brian Leahy. As much as he annoyed me because he was a bit of an elitist with how he played and spoke about games, he brought a completely different perspective to the show.

Not only that, despite the fact that I disagreed with his opinion a lot, it wasn't because he didn't express his thoughts well, it was simply a matter of disagreeing. He always did a great job of thoughtfully expressing his opinions.

I've never played Assassin's Creed but it sucks, herp derp.

Ninjimbo

I enjoyed the discussion on Operation Rainfall. As someone who hasn't been keeping up with the entire mess, it was interesting to hear Garnett's thought on the ramifications on the whole thing. Jeff's point of internet enthusiasm is spot-on too. Just because you get internet support doesn't necessarily translate into success so I think Nintendo is wise to maintain caution regarding the release of these games.

Hopefully Xenoblade and Last Story see the light of day in the States. I really want to play them.

Also, thanks to Garnett and Jeff for saying good things about FFXIII. It's been too long since I've heard praise for that game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DiscoJason said:
I would be so in for this, but just make it about board games. Jeff, make it happen.

Oh, I also want to go on record as being annoyed by Garnett's hitting on Andrea. I enjoy her view on gaming, mostly because it is very different from mine, but Garnett is distracting to his own show with his constant flirting. Either he needs to bang her, save the come on for after the show, or just be a professional and leave it out of the podcast. I don't care which...just make one happen.
No one complained when he hit on Shane.

Barrett2

Haven't listened in a few weeks, 20 minutes into this episode, I remembered why. The way Garnett manages to constantly interrupt every coherent conversation with some stupid dick joke or innuendo is so painfully unfunny and grating, I've come to truly dislike this podcast. Meandering back and forth between smug criticism one minute, and jizz jokes the next minute is a recipe for a shitty, unbearable podcast.

JeffCannata said:

Boardgamegeek is one of my favorite sites. I've found alot of great games that I wouldn't have ever found if it wasn't for this site. Infact, I think I heard you mention awhile ago on WC and that's how I found it. Thanks.
Formula D is a good palate cleanser from the usual heavier games we get into.

Goldmund

Heavy's Sandvich said:
@Goldmund - have you been reading Wittgenstein recently?

Awful chat.
No. I read his Tractatus and dismissed it for being nothing but a historical document. I was more of a Walter Benjamin kinda guy.

andrea is as boring as ever, and her being there somehow turns garnett into a worse than michael scott level simpleton with his failed innuendo 14 year old bullshit.

Bog

Junior Ace
Where did this Andrea come from anyway? To say she doesn't exactly have the most informed opinions would be putting it in the most kind way possible.

Bog said:
Where did this Andrea come from anyway? To say she doesn't exactly have the most informed opinions would be putting it in the most kind way possible.

She's been around the industry as a pretty-face interviewer for some time, bouncing between different places. I've actually run into her a few times at press events and E3.

She's essentially the viewpoint of your average gamer. She likes the big, epic, pretty games with storylines and popular multiplayer. Take her outside that comfort-zone and she's useless.

Neuromancer said:
White elephant in the room? Is that a real saying?

You are missing the point of the video. The legs.

But, uh no, it's not a real saying. Elephant in the room means the issue people can't ignore... white elephant in the room would I guess me, incredibly rare, valuable issue nobody can ignore?

Goldmund

The Antitype said:
You are missing the point of the video. The legs.

But, uh no, it's not a real saying. Elephant in the room means the issue people can't ignore... white elephant in the room would I guess me, incredibly rare, valuable issue nobody can ignore?
YouTube is my only source for nice legs as well.

Goldmund said:
YouTube is my only source for nice legs as well.

I'm just trying to balance out all the problems with having her discuss videogames with one positive benefit.

But yes, smart ass, I'm aware great legs can be seen all over the damn place. Especially on summer days, here in Vancouver. :p

Goldmund

The Antitype said:
I'm just trying to balance out all the problems with having her discuss videogames with one positive benefit.

But yes, smart ass, I'm aware great legs can be seen all over the damn place. Especially on summer days, here in Vancouver. :p
Do you consider her a dummy?

Goldmund

The Antitype said:
Not a dummy, but her knowledge, experience and understanding of the videogame medium definitely falls short of other media personalities.
I'm not sure it's that. She simply enjoys being young and superficial. Guys would never understand.

Curufinwe

Youtube comments are going to be the reason the aliens who blow up the Earth will give to other aliens for why they did it.

Gomu Gomu

Good episode this week.

Neuromancer said:
cantstopmyshine1.gif
:lol

Top Bottom