• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed 68 07/08/11 - Earth Defense Force, Dungeon Siege, Transformers

I'd like to make a suggestion to Garnett and Jeff: can you get Veronica Belmont on the show? Have you ever asked her? I love that woman and would be curious to see how she is on this podcast. Although, she's seems more like a techie person than a gamer, not sure about that, but please get Veronica.

Goldmund

The-Warning said:
Eh, I like Andrea being on the show. I agree with others that it would be nice if she elaborates on her opinions more, but she seems comfortable with the guys and it sounds as if they like having her around and it creates a light, fun atmosphere. They all have pretty good chemistry. Plus she's not afraid to laugh at off color jokes, and doesn't appear to get offended at Garnetts double entendres (which need work).

Is there a subtle, underlying sexual tension caused by the mere fact that she's a good looking female? Most likely, but I like that, keeps things a little edgy and entertaining, and that's why I listen to podcasts first, entertainment. We have two guys, Jeff and Garnett, who are very knowledgeable, that's good enough. And quite simply I like to hear a female voice.

If anything, Garnett should take lessons from Jeff Canatta on how to flirt. First, he's a fairly funny guy and makes her laugh a lot, and as we know chicks dig that. And second he knows how to tease her. A good example is when he was ribbing her for her Final Fantasy dislike. Girls like to be teased. Of course it doesn't hurt that Jeff is good looking.

Do gamers who listen hold her to a stricter standard because she's a women? Maybe. But let's not forget men are routinely skewered on this forum and treated with no mercy. They don't get a free pass either. Brian Leahy was mercilessly ran out of town, the poor guy lol.

Girls don't like white knights. They use you, say thanks and discard you for the nearest bad boy :D
At least his head should have been kept in town.

LiK

Garnett, FFXIII's battle system is the only good thing about the game. But you didn't mention that you can't save your Paradigms. So when the game forces you to switch teammates or you need to change them for different battles, you have to restructure your setup constantly. That was a huge oversight.

Btw, can't believe you said you enjoyed the story and characters. They were so lame. Insufferable.

LiK said:
Garnett, FFXIII's battle system is the only good thing about the game. But you didn't mention that you can't save your Paradigms. So when the game forces you to switch teammates or you need to change them for different battles, you have to restructure your setup constantly. That was a huge oversight.

Btw, can't believe you said you enjoyed the story and characters. They were so lame. Insufferable.
Agreed.
Many of us who disliked XIII are anime fans. That doesn't mean we excuse terrible stories and characters.

SaitoH

LiK said:

I enjoyed the characters and story. My favourite FF since 3/6 -can't wait for 13-2!

Zeouterlimits said:
Agreed.
Many of us who disliked XIII are anime fans. That doesn't mean we excuse terrible stories and characters.

That comment was weird. All I could think was, "what did anime ever do to deserve this comparison... oh yeah" But still Garnett

His reasoning for playing FFXIII was kind of sad. Basically he said he wanted a JRPG so he played XIII. I'm right there with you Garnett, I wish we had more high quality HD JRPGs to choose from... alas we don't :(

Perhaps it is time to dust off the old PSP and DS weekend confirmed? I'm sure even FFXIII's biggest fan would say play some of those JRPGs first

Also, a lot of negative comments this week. You know what weekend confirmed needs rights right now... penguins and idols :p

Riposte said:
Kat Bailey on Roleplayer's Realm is basically the best person you can reference here, she ends up being the sagest on the podcast.

Love Kat! I dream about her being on WAHP (in a non-creepy way I swear!)

LiK

Garnett should play Tales of Vesperia where its an anime-style RPG with characters that are well written and have strong bonds and character development. FFXIII's dialogue is laughable by comparison and there's little about the world worth caring about when I finished it. Maybe FFXIII-2 will redeem it.

frequency

Nice to see some podcast talk about FFXIII positively. I loved that game.
I was kinda bummed when Andrea, out of nowhere, interrupted the conversation with "Am I the only person who doesn't like Final Fantasy?" ... and then she goes on to make false statements about the series and claims to be bored with it... even though she's never played it. Ugh. If you have nothing to add then just shut up.

I won't get into my issues with her regarding EDF and shutting down online services. But I didn't like her contributions to those topics either.

Put me in with those people who dislike Andrea. It has nothing to do with being male or female. Every time anyone brings up that they dislike a guest who happens to be female, a bunch of people jump on the whole gender thing. Well if you actually pay attention to podcast threads, bad male guests get just as much hate and good female guests get just as much praise. It has NOTHING to do with gender and everything to do with being a terrible podcaster.

But enough with the hate talk! Let's talk about love.

I feel Garnett does corny sexual innuendo every episode, all the way back to 1Up Yours. I don't think he does it more than usual with female guests. I think it's kind of cute... in the creepy uncle kind of way. I don't want him to ever change. :p

But anyway, love the show. If the podcast was just Garnett and Jeff, I'd still listen. Love you guys.

I literally watch Reviews on the Run JUST for the Jeff Cannata segments. I love how upbeat he is all the time. Even when he dislikes something, he talks about it with a smile. Positivity is great.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
RE: News

The thing with news on podcasts is; we aren't listening to news on a podcast to hear breaking stories, we are listening to news on a podcast to hear your (the host and guests) opinions on the news of the week. Thus it doesn't matter if the news is a few days old.

Deadly Cyclone said:
RE: News

The thing with news on podcasts is; we aren't listening to news on a podcast to hear breaking stories, we are listening to news on a podcast to hear your (the host and guests) opinions on the news of the week. Thus it doesn't matter if the news is a few days old.
I agree and there's no point bring up a piece of news if no one has anything to say about it. Seems like that's the path Xav wants to take and I think it's a good idea.

Neuromancer said:
I agree and there's no point bring up a piece of news if no one has anything to say about it. Seems like that's the path Xav wants to take and I think it's a good idea.

I'm on this train as well. I'd much rather the focus of people's (Xav's or whomever's)energy in preparation for news to be devoted to several talking points on a smaller sampling of news rather than informing people on all the new tidbits that have occurred during the week, regardless of whether or not the listeners (or the hosts) or the hosts care.

Garnett - if for some reason FFXIII falls out of favor with you maybe jump (back?) into Lost Odyssey.

I've been toying around with the idea of giving this a go (again) and would be interested to see what your thoughts would be on this 3 years after it came out.

Interfectum

I was actually pleasantly surprised when Jeff and Xav attempted to rein Garnett in a bit, especially in the first 20 minutes or so (what a trainwreck). I've also noticed Jeff has started pushing the podcast forward a bit when it gets stuck in the mud giving little nudges here and there to move on.

One thing that made 1up Yours so good was Shane, John, Luke, etc had zero problems calling the host out on shit and they all made an effort to keep the podcast flowing and entertaining for the listeners.

Still, regardless of the complaints I may have I think Garnett has put together a really entertaining show. Say what you want about his personality or his antics on the show, he knows what he's doing. Keep it up guys.

DangerStepp

Neuromancer said:
Ask DangerStepp, I don't know but it sounded funny and fairly plausible. Also it would probably look something like this:

cantstopmyshine1.gif
It would totally look like that.

Also, I just woke up from Friday night's blackout. What happened?

Colasante

Usually love Weekend Confirmed, but this episode was a bit much. I'm looking forward to next week's Garnett-less episode. He really needs to quit with the devil's advocate approach. At this point, I have no idea what he actually thinks and what he is just pretending to think to stir discussion, and it makes me totally uninterested in anything he has to say.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I think this is just one of those times where the white elephant in the room is a double-edged coin.

Rolf NB

mik said:
I think this is just one of those times where the white elephant in the room is a double-edged coin.
This podcast speaks to the deconstruction of the English language.

Srsly. All I wanted from this was something to lull me to sleep last night. And I kept getting angry at all the brazen stupidity, the flowery pseudo-edumacated gibberish, the completely bizarro-world comments on games (liking FF XIII for "the story and characters" lulz) and general failure to go anywhere interesting on any topic.

Greatly looking forward to the episode without Garnett. Maybe that works better. By all rights, it should.

I feel like Garnett needs to put a little more thought into the lineups of the show. He likes having his friends on, and while that mostly worked for 1up Yours, it's not working for the lineups he puts together for this show.

The show has become "Garnett & Friends!" rather than 'who can we get from week to week to try and put the best show possible together.'

In my humble unprofessional opinion: they need a permanent 3rd chair to give the show stability (my vote would be Spicer although that seems unlikely).

And I'm not sure they need a 4th chair, unless it's a truly luminary individual.

krae_man

Andrea doesn't bother me when she's talking about a game she has played. She explains her views well and backs them up. When she's talking about anything else on the other hand...

Anyway, I really do think Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft should take steps to try and preserve the online part of all games. I really don't think it would be too hard. A really simple solution would be to require every online game to have LAN play built in. Then create a overall program that tricks games into thinking the internet is a LAN(Similar to the program that did this exact thing with PS2 games). Sony can call it "LAN Party" or something. Then all anyone needs to play these old game online is an internet connection and nothing more.

Bigfoot

CartridgeBlower said:
I feel like Garnett needs to put a little more thought into the lineups of the show. He likes having his friends on, and while that mostly worked for 1up Yours, it's not working for the lineups he puts together for this show.

The show has become "Garnett & Friends!" rather than 'who can we get from week to week to try and put the best show possible together.'

Just because it isn't working for you doesn't mean it's not working for everyone. Lots of people like the show as it is otherwise they wouldn't be listening. I don't see any reason to make changes. I think Garnett and especially Jeff make a great core and everyone they have on with them is good, including Andrea. Good variety week to week instead of having the same 4 every week as it was on 1up Yours.

I've always disliked news on podcasts because 90% of the time there isn't anything interesting to say anyway. I don't read most gaf news thread past the title either. I mean how many ways you you rephrase "well it sucks but thats business I wish it wasn't that way but oh well vote with you wallet I guess."

I'd cut the whole segement out personally and try something different. You know maybe it's time for 4 minute warning to comeback.

Just don't replace it with emails.

Rahxephon91 said:
Such as....

Well Radiant Historia and Trails in the Sky seem to be the current gaf favorites. I'd throw out Gods Eater Burst but I'm probably alone with that :/

If you're looking for a JRPG to play and talk about on a podcast its better to try something new and something you haven't already talk about extensively with Plan B(est)

And to do it when Billy isn't there is just twisting the knife. We never got our final report from him did we

Bigfoot

It's probably been mentioned but how did they manage to forget about Christian Splicer for Plan 'C'? Wasn't he just on last week! :) Poor guy.

Porthos said:
Just because it isn't working for you doesn't mean it's not working for everyone. Lots of people like the show as it is otherwise they wouldn't be listening. I don't see any reason to make changes. I think Garnett and especially Jeff make a great core and everyone they have on with them is good, including Andrea. Good variety week to week instead of having the same 4 every week as it was on 1up Yours.

Well, there's certainly a majority opinion here and a minority one. I'm sure we disagree on which is which.

Bigfoot

CartridgeBlower said:
Well, there's certainly a majority opinion here and a minority one. I'm sure we disagree on which is which.
Sure, and we will never know. People that are happy with the show don't typically post to say so versus those that are unhappy and have complaints to post.

I'm sure Garnett knows how many times the show is downloaded each week. If the numbers were to start to drop off, then he could take this as a sign to make changes.

Shurs

CartridgeBlower said:

The problem is that they live in LA, not San Francisco.

How can you not care that online service to your games are being cut off? Are you that content with planned obsolescence? Maybe its no big deal for someone who drifts through life flitting from one shiny thing to the next, with no care for history or curating a library or even getting a fair deal for your buck, but its not ok in my book.

Can I add to the drinking game? How about take a drink any time anyone says "moment to moment" when trying to describe how a game plays? Come to think of it, this last ep had a lot of vague extemporizing about the "feeling" of playing this game or that.

I'll have to keep this in mind during the next ep (or the one after, when Garnett's back). I'm sure there are lots more we can use. :)

Grisby

LiK said:
Xav pointed out on Twitter that Garnett will miss Ep 69...lol

I gave a chuckle at that.

Yeah, I think the news should just focus on the really big topics that everyone at the table wants to talk about (i.e Sony when the online went down). I'm listening for your thoughts WC crew.

Nothing left to do but complain in Weekend Confirmed threads till the Bombcast is out... tuesdays are always hard :(

Did Andrea really call Civ a RTS? Felt some nerd rage building at comment!

Ninjimbo said:
They need to get Ariel Angelotti guesting again. She was great when she was on. Whenever that was.

She was on PSNation this week. After listening I downloaded the most recent pixeljunk radio episode.

HamPster PamPster said:
Jeff and crew's attempts to replicate Garnett's dick joke skills are going to fall so incredibly flat

You can't touch the master!
Garnett is terrible at double entendres, its only ever funny when people rip into him for it.

Rimfya

Banned
DMczaf said:
Only 15 mins in and already a show-stopping cringe-inducing sex joke toward Andrea from Garnett.

He's probably just trolling these threads, but damn.

I've listened to Weekend Confirmed since it started and years of the 1up Yours podcast before it. Garnett's been getting on my nerves for weeks but this time I just turned it off 12 minutes into the show.

He can't crap on everything everyone says for 10 minutes straight and just say "hey I'm just trolling", because trolling is funny once, in a 100 posts, on a forum thread you can scroll right past.

I've always liked Garnett as a host, not because I've always agreed with him, but mostly because he's just that ... a great podcast host! But this irritating obsession with 'trolling' is guests is infuriating and you could tell Jeff (no Ns or Ts) was getting sick of it real quick.

Not sure if he's going through something but I hope he gets over it and just runs the damn show. Unlistenable.

Oni Jazar

Neuromancer said:
Take a drink every time:

Garnett:
  • repeats something someone else said with a dramatic deep voice (Oni Jazar)

Let it be known he does this before the 2nd minute of the podcast. (about 00:01:07 in)

Jimrpg

WC is still the best produced games podcast on the planet, some feedback from me about the last half year in general...

I think what worked in the past for 1up yours was that gamers were hardcore, you had shane and luke and even john who were avid gamers. But now Garnett doesn't even finish his games and Jeff likes to play games with easy mechanics. Xav at least brings some of the hardcore games discussion back into the podcast. I like all the personalities, I think Jeff does well here, he's easy to listen to and he doesn't get old. Its weird, I think Garnett is a great host, but I really dislike how he plays devils advocate constantly and he's always wrong with all his predictions. I think he has some sort of feel with how the industry works but its kind of blurred by all his fanboyism...

One thing I miss is Brian Leahy, I find Garnett to be far too wishy washy in his descriptions of the games... its like he doesn't want to give too much away, trying to describe the game as a whole yet describing nothing. Jeff loves to describe the experience but he really puts game mechanics second to the experience which for me I find needs to co-exist together to make a cohesive experience. Brian was the hardcore gamer and I tended to agree with his views on a lot of gameplay mechanics... case in point I find that Assassin's Creed 2 was a disappointing game from a mechanics perspective... i mean how clunky is the combat...

And I hope I'm not griping too much, but Jeff/Garnett can you guys stop saying how hard Demon's Souls is? There's an avid fanbase that keeps repeatedly telling you that its a fair game and thats why its good and they respect it.

Also it seems there's a lot of love and also a lot of dislike for the monthly visitor... i think the problem is Andrea is good looking plays games and is a girl. Its like alot of guy gamers are uncomfortable that such a person could exist.... people don't like what they aren't used to. Perhaps people immediately assume that a girl like Andrea will equate to lots of wii games like baby sitting mama and petz and poniez, but she doesn't play those sorts of games. For Andrea, Im sure over time she'll be respected because she's quite well spoken, she DOES have plenty of gaming knowledge and she's not fake, I think as long as she calls out the other guys when they are wrong she'll get more respect from the community.

Can we also keep the indie music down to a minute please and not the full song?

Thanks for bringing a super podcast every week and Garnett don't forget your roots and your fanbase - your popularity exists because you brought the hardcore discussion everyweek - don't neglect ur fanbase.

Mrbob

I want to add a correction to the online code talk. EA doesn't always give you the option of extra content in place of a code to play online.

I just bought NCAA 12 on 360 and there is an online code in the box to access the online features for the title. Without one you have to spend 10 dollars to play online on top of the Xbox Live fee.

Get used to it because all publishers will be doing this for all platforms a year from now. Many have started already.

rabhw

Please stop having Andrea on the show.

Her position that game servers being shut down is a GOOD thing is so incomprehensible and idiotic that I had to rewind the podcast and make sure I heard it correctly.

How could shutting down game servers, preventing people from playing the games (at least the online portion) that they've paid money for, be a GOOD thing....ever?!

She never explained her position at all. Idiot.

rabhw said:
Please stop having Andrea on the show.

Her position that game servers being shut down is a GOOD thing is so incomprehensible and idiotic that I had to rewind the podcast and make sure I heard it correctly.

How could shutting down game servers, preventing people from playing the games (at least the online portion) that they've paid money for, be a GOOD thing....ever?!

She never explained her position at all. Idiot.
What does she care? She's not playing the games. Besides there are so many new games people could be playing instead. It's a blessing in disguise!

Top Bottom