• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed 68 07/08/11 - Earth Defense Force, Dungeon Siege, Transformers

MoeB

I can't take anymore of this show. Every time I hear anything Del Rio related I get the urge to stab my ears.

Goldmund

MoeB said:
I can't take anymore of this show. Every time I hear anything Del Rio related I get the urge to stab my ears.
I find his remixes using snippets of past shows in the breaks to be really charming and well produced. He has a big talent for that. His attempts at hip-hop are surprisingly amateurish, I agree.

HamPster PamPster said:
That was Vinny level stuff right there. You know I think its time for a new Vinny and Jeff
Cannata
endurance run

I would pay money for that.

A Vinny and Jeff Cannata endurance run would be stellar.

Goldmund

JeffCannata said:
I said coin instead of sword? I'm an idiot!
It was a funny little blunder, no one called you an idiot. In a way it illustrated the lack of precision in the discussions (which therefore often lead nowhere interesting). »There are two sides to each coin« is similar to but doesn't mean the same as »it's a double-edged sword«. That doesn't really matter, of course, since this is a very casual podcast.

Jetku

This might be my last episode. I just can't stand it anymore and turned it off after a half hour.

Way too many sexual jokes. I am not against them in theory, these guys' jokes just aren't funny.

Too much preachiness/philosophizing... Your opinion is not THE opinion, and not everything is visceral, phenomal, or sexually-pleasing amazing (ohhh so good..-Garnett)

I wish garnett had a cast that could keep him reigned in. His personality is too strong, so it only works for me when he is with other really strong personalities on a podcast. The WC crew just seems to play him up.

And no, not everyone wants to listen to 'Garnetts indie music' segment on a video game podcast. I listen while driving and have no way to easily fast forward through it...

Apologize for venting, but it's frustrating that my favorite podcast host's show has fallen from my good graces.

Proposed Law said:
I just want a Jeff Cannata podcast about board and video games. Time to go solo!

This too.

As much as I rage against him and how we're diametrically opposed when it comes to video games. He and I are usually on the same page when it comes to boardgames...

bigdaddygamebot said:
This too.

As much as I rage against him and how we're diametrically opposed when it comes to video games. He and I are usually on the same page when it comes to boardgames...

I just picked up Formula D and it was a blast! My buddies are already set to play again. Good suggestion Jeff.

Goldmund

futnownarcade said:
Were they joking about not knowing any guests whose name start with C? Poor Spicer.
Phonology is tricky and the brain thousands of years old. Ch is mixed up with K and not readily present, if you're trying to remember names starting with the letter C.

THANK YOU BASED GARNET.

andrea's comments on EDF are trollish at best, totally ignorant at worst. i actually kind of agree with jeff that it could've been a downloadable title from the start, but i think saying trenched delivers a better experience is just patently silly. they're comparable on shallow levels.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Goldmund said:
It was a funny little blunder, no one called you an idiot. In a way it illustrated the lack of precision in the discussions (which therefore often lead nowhere interesting). »There are two sides to each coin« is similar to but doesn't mean the same as »it's a double-edged sword«. That doesn't really matter, of course, since this is a very casual podcast.

I don't think it illustrated anything except that sometimes people mix up to phrases when speaking extemporaneously. Garnett does it constantly. I don't know if he's ever correctly replicated an actual idiom in the English language.

Slime

Banned
Jeez, Garnett sounded like a kid having a hormone rush because he was in the same room as a REAL-LIFE GIRL. I love the guy, but whenever there's a female guest it's so. damn. uncomfortable.

Aside from that, some good discussions this week. I am, however, already suffering from Billy withdrawals. SIGH.

Goldmund

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I don't think it illustrated anything except that sometimes people mix up to phrases when speaking extemporaneously. Garnett does it constantly. I don't know if he's ever correctly replicated an actual idiom in the English language.
The mix-up (or the imprecision it introduced, if it were a vital part of a debate) passed unnoticed in order to maintain a certain level of nonchalance. There's the connection. Again, I think it rightfully did. This isn't something this particular podcast should concern itself with.

JeffCannata

Neo Member
Goldmund said:
The mix-up (or the imprecision it introduced, if it were a vital part of a debate) passed unnoticed in order to maintain a certain level of nonchalance. There's the connection. Again, I think it rightfully did. This isn't something this particular podcast should concern itself with.

Or, perhaps I was subtly indicating the power imbalance vis a vis money and weapons in our society. My own penis mightier, if you will.

Nah, you're right, it was a much larger indicator of my overall lack of precision. Gah! Idiot! Curse me and my slips of the tongue!

No lie, no sarcasm, no joke, and no hard feelings, I shall truly endeavor to be more precise.

I tried to go back to FFXIII and finally finish it but FFXIII-2 just looked so much better. Going into E3 I was hoping that XIII-2 would motivate me to go back to XIII but it had the opposite effect.

Proposed Law said:
I just want a Jeff Cannata podcast about board and video games. Time to go solo!

Oh god its going to be Three Moves Ahead all over again. The boss is gone one day and it turns into a board gaming podcast. I swear JeffCannata if Julian is on next week....

Where are the steam sales?!? Oh here they are How could Garnett shoot you down Jeff. Having a steam press account must be amazing... to be immune from steam sales, what a world that must be

Goldmund

JeffCannata said:
Or, perhaps I was subtly indicating the power imbalance vis a vis money and weapons in our society. My own penis mightier, if you will.

Nah, you're right, it was a much larger indicator of my overall lack of precision. Gah! Idiot! Curse me and my slips of the tongue!

No lie, no sarcasm, no joke, and no hard feelings, I shall truly endeavor to be more precise.
Why are you desperately trying to make this an argument about your purported ignorance? This has nothing to do with you or even that particular blunder (of which we all make more than we can remember each day). It's the format that sometimes is at odds with the show's aspirations. It shows. This could have been made apparent by the way you'd have handled a broken microphone, a hiccup fit -- whatever. The double-edged coin worked this episode. The chain of signifiers can easily be wrapped around its significate for a good reason.

JeffCannata

Neo Member
Goldmund said:
Why are you desperately trying to make this an argument about your purported ignorance? This has nothing to do with you or even that particular blunder (of which we all make more than we can remember each day). It's the format that sometimes is at odds with the show's aspirations. It shows. This could have been made apparent by the way you'd have handled a broken microphone, a hiccup fit -- whatever. The double-edged coin worked this episode. The chain of signifiers can easily be wrapped around its significate for a good reason.

First of all, it wasn't ignorance. I am well aware of the difference between the two idioms.

Secondly, I evidently have no idea what your point is. The format is at odds with the aspirations? And this shows? What does that mean? How does my "blunder" point to a larger show problem? I honestly want to know.

I took your point to mean that I misspoke and that indicated a lack of clarity and circumspection. Which I acknowledged with humility and good humor. I find it always helpful to be reminded of one's sloppiness in an effort to remain vigilant. Which I promised to do.

Beyond that I am lost.

I thought Del Rio's song was better than most of the crap Garnett usually plays. Haters can't stop his shine!

Garnett's flirting/picking on Andrea gets annoying.

JohngPR

JeffCannata said:
First of all, it wasn't ignorance. I am well aware of the difference between the two idioms.

Secondly, I evidently have no idea what your point is. The format is at odds with the aspirations? And this shows? What does that mean? How does my "blunder" point to a larger show problem? I honestly want to know.

I took your point to mean that I misspoke and that indicated a lack of clarity and circumspection. Which I acknowledged with humility and good humor. I find it always helpful to be reminded of one's sloppiness in an effort to remain vigilant. Which I promised to do.

Beyond that I am lost.

Don't feel bad Jeff, I is confused as well.

TheGrue

Proposed Law said:

I would be so in for this, but just make it about board games. Jeff, make it happen.

Oh, I also want to go on record as being annoyed by Garnett's hitting on Andrea. I enjoy her view on gaming, mostly because it is very different from mine, but Garnett is distracting to his own show with his constant flirting. Either he needs to bang her, save the come on for after the show, or just be a professional and leave it out of the podcast. I don't care which...just make one happen.

Goldmund

JeffCannata said:
Yes, I never said you were an idiot or ignorant, but you kept sarcastically referring to yourself as an »idiot« as if I had. That's why I put purported in front.

JeffCannata said:
My point is that the nonchalance of the show (a main draw for me) bars the type of deeper discussions you're trying to tackle from going very far. This isn't a problem at all, at least it isn't for me. The sharpened coin simply triggered an aha reaction: »oh right, that's why the same topics are never satisfyingly exhausted, it's a lack of precision.«

JeffCannata said:
No, not that you misspoke. The two proverbs you mixed up are very close in meaning to each other, but on closer inspection, they point at different things. Nobody picked up on this. And why should they? It's such a minor thing.

However, it reminded me of how oftentimes your (not yours specifically) choice of words and sentences is vague enough to introduce an imprecision that makes every point one is trying to make weaker than it should be. And this choice isn't governed by a lack of intellect or anything, but by the pragmatics of the show.

Clarity is always welcome, but there's always the chance of making the show boring and unlistenable. It's a double-edged coin, so to speak. :p

JeffCannata said:
Beyond that I am lost.
Did I make myself clearer this time?

Barryman

It's not a details-oriented show, but Garnett's shows never have been.

And I love that devil's advocate-playing son of a bitch, so he better keep it that way.

GhaleonQ

I'm 30 minutes in to it. Andrea and Xav aren't drags on the podcasts, but they're ciphers. When they've said provocative things (in this podcast and others), they haven't built convincing cases. They should prepare more, in my opinion, since I don't care for Jeff's opinions but still think he's become great at verbally expressing them.

krae_man

Okay Garnett confused me with his PSN pass arguments. It sounded like he thought everyone including new game purchasers would have to pay $10 to play online with the Pass. He made the argument "there should be a system where the people who buy the game new get unlimited online play but the used game purchasers have to pay" which is exactly what the PSN Pass is.

But then he changed his argument to be about how $10 for unlimited shouldn't be the only option. So I can't tell if was confused about what the PSN pass is, or he just worded his argument poorly.

JeffCannata

Neo Member
Goldmund said:
Yes, I never said you were an idiot or ignorant, but you kept sarcastically referring to yourself as an »idiot« as if I had. That's why I put purported in front.

My point is that the nonchalance of the show (a main draw for me) bars the type of deeper discussions you're trying to tackle from going very far. This isn't a problem at all, at least it isn't for me. The sharpened coin simply triggered an aha reaction: »oh right, that's why the same topics are never satisfyingly exhausted, it's a lack of precision.«

No, not that you misspoke. The two proverbs you mixed up are very close in meaning to each other, but on closer inspection, they point at different things. Nobody picked up on this. And why should they? It's such a minor thing.

However, it reminded me of how oftentimes your (not yours specifically) choice of words and sentences is vague enough to introduce an imprecision that makes every point one is trying to make weaker than it should be. And this choice isn't governed by a lack of intellect or anything, but by the pragmatics of the show.

Clarity is always welcome, but there's always the chance of making the show boring and unlistenable. It's a double-edged coin, so to speak. :p

Did I make myself clearer this time?

If we are to continue beating this dead horse I want you to understand me as well. Your very first comment in this thread was that no one on the show, save Garnett, is worth listening to. Upon reading someone else's opinion to the contrary, you smugly cited my quote as proof of your position. "Just wait".

I did substitute the wrong word for some reason. I find myself doing that more and more these days, my mouth not listening to my brain, and felt pretty dumb. Not ignorant. Dumb. Very different. I know the difference, and should have caught it. I made a self-effacing joke of acknowledgement in this thread and made pains to emphasize there was no sarcasm or hard feelings present.

The thing that gets me is the way you continue to assign import to this slip as if it is evidence of a larger problem. I am unclear why you harp on "nonchalance" as if it is an enemy of depth. I find you can be casual and introspective at the same time. I think everyone in the discussion understood I meant double edged sword. So the imprecision in question was not even vague. (but you also like the nonchalance? That is preventing deeper discussions? So my takeaway is that we shouldn't attempt deep discussion? Gosh, I dunno)

I agree with you that clarity can become boring and unlistenable. It is certainly having that effect on this thread. And many will argue I shouldn't waste my time here, but I still fail to see your point and I'm having fun trying to understand. If it is simply "sometimes people can be vague - that sucks" or "if you don't make your point sharply enough it can be misunderstood" then, yeah, such are the perils of talking. That's nothing unique to our show.

But you've SEEMED to be pretty humorless and pedantic about it as proof of me having no "voice worth sharing". And you SEEMED to indicate that our more philosophical discussions were out of our depth. Which, let's be honest, is a pretty douchey thing to say.

Again, no animosity here. Just fun time happy pants.

Hooray for Internet forums!

GhaleonQ

Xav, don't do Jimmy Pardo references, either. Jeff's Jonathan Lynn words are the joke, Pardo's delivery is the joke.

Hooray indeed! I have no idea what Goldmund's trying to say if that makes you feel any better, Jeff. It could just be that he's trolling you at this point.

T-Matt

Does anyone else think Del Rio is actually Garnett's alter ego? Kind of like a Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines situation. He just uses weekend confirmed as a vehicle to get his music out there. And all the other groups he plays during the breaks are just his various side projects he also works on.
Like when they did the football predictions and he would say, "Del Rio who do you think will win?" and you hear silence while the weekend confirmed guys play along as if this "Del Rio" had actually answered.
Pretty sneaky sis.

Neuromancer said:
Hooray indeed! I have no idea what Goldmund's trying to say if that makes you feel any better, Jeff. It could just be that he's trolling you at this point.

If not trolling, he's just bringing the party down at this point. Don't sweat it Jeff. I would hate having GAF follow me around and have a retort to every comment I made in a day. Can we get back to talking about how creepy Garnett was this week or board games?

LQX

Jetku said:
This might be my last episode. I just can't stand it anymore and turned it off after a half hour.

Way too many sexual jokes. I am not against them in theory, these guys' jokes just aren't funny.

Too much preachiness/philosophizing... Your opinion is not THE opinion, and not everything is visceral, phenomal, or sexually-pleasing amazing (ohhh so good..-Garnett)

I wish garnett had a cast that could keep him reigned in. His personality is too strong, so it only works for me when he is with other really strong personalities on a podcast. The WC crew just seems to play him up.

And no, not everyone wants to listen to 'Garnetts indie music' segment on a video game podcast. I listen while driving and have no way to easily fast forward through it...

Apologize for venting, but it's frustrating that my favorite podcast host's show has fallen from my good graces.
I agree with everything you said. I find myself forwarding through most of the podcast these days and it's not something I have done alot and I have literally listened to every single podcast going back to 1UP.

Enough people have voiced their opinion on the fact things seems to be getting a little too childish with no one reigning it in to point the message is clear so either Garnett is on something that makes him unable to control certain emotional outbursts or he is just doing it at this point to get under the skins of those that hate the distraction it causes. The whole thing is like someone that is constantly telling blonde jokes, it becomes torture after awhile.

Jeff, you're too good at what you do to bring yourself down and argue with GAF'fers, you're the best thing the show has going right now by far.

Pikelet

24FrameDaVinci said:
Jeff, you're too good at what you do to bring yourself down and argue with GAF'fers, you're the best thing the show has going right now by far.
Nailed it.

Almost all gaming podcasts go through a quality cycle, largely correlating with the amount of quality games/bits of news that comes out. See: the latest Bombcast thread.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
THANK YOU BASED GARNET.

andrea's comments on EDF are trollish at best, totally ignorant at worst. i actually kind of agree with jeff that it could've been a downloadable title from the start, but i think saying trenched delivers a better experience is just patently silly. they're comparable on shallow levels.
This, except replace EDF with FFXIII.

Andrea disappointed me this episode :( And I liked her, too. I am appalled that she resorted to stereotypical remarks like "being tired of effeminate men with big swords" when she's NEVER TOUCHED ANY OF THE GAMES TO BEGIN WITH.

Augh!

So disappointed in you, Ms. Renee. So disappointed.

Goldmund

JeffCannata said:
If we are to continue beating this dead horse I want you to understand me as well. Your very first comment in this thread was that no one on the show, save Garnett, is worth listening to. Upon reading someone else's opinion to the contrary, you smugly cited my quote as proof of your position. "Just wait".
Not exactly, but yes. I wanted to wryly respond with something from the show as well, something that stuck with me. I didn't mean to prove anything. I agree that my first two posts were belligerent and mean-spirited and I apologize.

JeffCannata said:
I did substitute the wrong word for some reason. I find myself doing that more and more these days, my mouth not listening to my brain, and felt pretty dumb. Not ignorant. Dumb. Very different. I know the difference, and should have caught it. I made a self-effacing joke of acknowledgement in this thread and made pains to emphasize there was no sarcasm or hard feelings present.
Again, this is a very natural phenomenon when talking swiftly. There's no need to feel dumb because of it and I wouldn't have called you out on it myself. That'd be a petty thing to do. I'm glad the others didn't.

JeffCannata said:
The thing that gets me is the way you continue to assign import to this slip as if it is evidence of a larger problem. I am unclear why you harp on "nonchalance" as if it is an enemy of depth. I find you can be casual and introspective at the same time.
It's not a problem and nonchalance is the enemy of nothing, but that's kinda what I said, yes. Let me give you an example.

If you're lying in your bed with your partner and you happen to discuss the historical importance of some great American novel, the depth won't be that of the general thoughts expressed, but that of the feelings and the world view those uttered thoughts mirror. The intellectual efforts will form a semiotic system of your lusts, hopes and worries, meaningful only to the two of you. Or something.

That's what I mean by the pragmatics of a given situation.

So while I think there's depth in these philosophical discussions, I think it's only apparent to you and the others on the show and not contingent on the topic discussed. »Lack of precision« might have been the wrong words to use, since on this more personal level, most words are very precise because of their vagueness.

That's why I'd rephrase your sentence to »vagueness is the enemy of perceived depth« (rolls right off the tongue). A matter of perspective. What seems vague to me is only vague because I don't share the emotional connection.

JeffCannata said:
I think everyone in the discussion understood I meant double edged sword. So the imprecision in question was not even vague. (but you also like the nonchalance? That is preventing deeper discussions? So my takeaway is that we shouldn't attempt deep discussion? Gosh, I dunno)
I think so too. Your mix-up didn't introduce any imprecision into the discussion. It just reminded me of how they work.

JeffCannata said:
I agree with you that clarity can become boring and unlistenable. It is certainly having that effect on this thread. And many will argue I shouldn't waste my time here, but I still fail to see your point and I'm having fun trying to understand. If it is simply "sometimes people can be vague - that sucks" or "if you don't make your point sharply enough it can be misunderstood" then, yeah, such are the perils of talking. That's nothing unique to our show.
It's more like »it's weird to see people trying to treat Transformers as an introduction to a philosophy course«. Although, that'd be a cool approach. So, yes, I did make a very trite point.

JeffCannata said:
But you've SEEMED to be pretty humorless and pedantic about it as proof of me having no "voice worth sharing". And you SEEMED to indicate that our more philosophical discussions were out of our depth. Which, let's be honest, is a pretty douchey thing to say.
I think they're out of the show's depth as it now stands, not out of the individuals' it's comprised of.

JeffCannata said:
Again, no animosity here. Just fun time happy pants.

Hooray for Internet forums!
Indeed. :)

EDIT:

Proposed Law said:
If not trolling, he's just bringing the party down at this point. Don't sweat it Jeff. I would hate having GAF follow me around and have a retort to every comment I made in a day. Can we get back to talking about how creepy Garnett was this week or board games?
Hey, it could be worse. I could be threatening to stop listening to the show. I'm still an avid listener, haven't missed a single episode.

Neuromancer said:
Drinking game.

Oh man, this is amazing!

Goldmund said:
I find his remixes using snippets of past shows in the breaks to be really charming and well produced. He has a big talent for that. His attempts at hip-hop are surprisingly amateurish, I agree.

Yeah, I don't get the Del Rio hate either. I'm not particularly keen on his songs, but he's a really talented producer. That's obvious.

DaBuddaDa

When did the switch get flipped wherein all these threads have become are discussions about the people on the show and no longer what they were talking about week after week after week?

This is a gaming forum to talk about gaming topics, not for telling Jeff how to do his job or complaining about Garnett's bad jokes.

Top Bottom