• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Enco

If that's the case it sounds like this isn't the show for you then.
Lol it's still enjoyable.

I wouldn't be upset if a robot dies/gets destroyed though. That being said, pretty much all of the humans are pretty big assholes on the show.

The cool thing about it is finding out what happens next but I can't say I'm too attached to any character.

dopplr

I don't understand why Felix didn't deactivate Maeve.

She's literally just a robot.

I find it hard to sympathise with a machine.

Ford said they know everything about their employees. Ford wrote and scripted all the events that happened. Thus - Ford picked the employee most likely to follow through with his script.

Angry Fork

You're supposed to recognize that deserving rights/respect is tied to something beyond just being biologically human.

Lorcain

You're supposed to recognize that deserving rights/respect is tied to something beyond just being biologically human.
Exactly, that's pretty much the entire theme of the show. Finding the way to the center of the maze = self-awareness = consciousness = alive. It's repeated many times throughout the last 2-3 episodes.

Ford even says in the end, humans are incapable of learning anymore, but I've found a new people that are ready and willing to learn. It's a new beginning for them...or something like that. Even Arnold says in the last episode to Dolores, "We have to close the park, you're alive."

I don't know how anyone could miss that theme or point unless they were only half-watching and multi-tasking.

Edited to add: William (MiB) states that when Maeve rushed out with her dying daughter in her hands, he saw for the first time that she was alive. And then the camera pans out to an overhead perspective and we see Maeve and her daughter symbolically in the center of the maze. She's alive too.

Joni

She activated herself every time they put her to sleep. So he has to justify why he would destroy her.

marrec

Banned
She activated herself every time they put her to sleep. So he has to justify why he would destroy her.

lol he must feel like shit when later on he finds out she was programmed to activate herself

Like, that kinda revelation made William go full Spiderman 3 emo

Pooya

Ford had one interaction with Felix too early on, he had one of the hosts covered, Ford comes in scolds him, you could assume he hand picked him there.

I completely agree with this. People are asking if Ford turned face but it's more like Dolores turned heel.

Yup. If you've paid enough attention through out the show, Ford makes it real clear of his disdain for humanity. I think his shitty upbringing and 30+ years of people acting like total savages in the park because the "hosts" aren't "real" cemented his view of human beings.

Kain

Finished... wow this show. The coolest and biggest plot twist to me was the William-MiB thing. That was absolutely brilliant writing there, I was legit shocked and impressed. Now on to old man Logan for second season brahs

William being completely ecstatic at the end was so awesome, he was the bad guy, the anti-heroe, the asshole... and he won. We must assume he'll die in the second season, but he'll die having the fun of his life. I kinda feel happy for him even though he was a despicable human being lol

Sec0nd

Finished the season. Pretty neat show. I'm enjoying it but not at all on the same level as many others seem to be.

I loved the parts with the hosts slowly realizing what was up. The what is real and what isn't was really interesting, and fun to theorize about. Even in real life. And slowly learning about the park and the company behind it was really interesting for a while, until it became too explicit.

Everything else? Meh, not so much. Anything that was going on in the park was really quite boring. Mostly because it just wasn't 'real' and didn't really contribute to the overal plot that I was mostly in to. There also isn't really any likable character in this show. Delores started of fun, but got stale later on and I dunno what to think of her now. Maeve started off pretty lame and later on got interesting. All the other characters? I honestly don't give a shit about them. Not even Hopkins.

Also didn't really enjoy all the mystery shoehorning for the sake of mystery. I love having some mystery in my shows. Really did dig it with shows like Lost. Here it just kind of seems excessive.

Oh well. Did enjoy myself watching it. Bernard twist was super rad.

Solo

Ford had one interaction with Felix too early on, he had one of the hosts covered, Ford comes in scolds him, you could assume he hand picked him there.

Oh shit wow. I missed that completely. Yep, between keeping the host clothed and the bird (which Ford knew about, let's be honest), he clearly hand picked Felix for his empathy. That magnificent bastard.

Stands to reason that he knew about Sylvester pumping out hosts on the side too and handpicked both of them for Maeve; Felix to work off of compassion, Sylvester to be blackmailed.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Teddy. He had a clear look of disgust when Dolores was massacring everyone.

Definitely. He's still trying to atone for what he did to other hosts when Arnold tried to close the park, doubt he's gonna be happy when he realizes it was Dolores who made him do all of that.

I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being Maeve+Teddy+Bernard versus Dolores+whatever other hosts (I'm sure we'll see Abernathy in here, along with Clementine and others).

Regardless, exciting, specially since we're gonna have Samurai World to tie it all in.

Oh shit wow. I missed that completely. Yep, between keeping the host clothed and the bird (which Ford knew about, let's be honest), he clearly hand picked Felix for his empathy. That magnificent bastard.

Stands to reason that he knew about Sylvester pumping out hosts on the side too and handpicked both of them for Maeve; Felix to work off of compassion, Sylvester to be blackmailed.

Guys that wasn't Felix, that was another Asian guy lol. Different actor and character. IMDb lists him as Henry.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just finished it finally after holding off the show for a while. It was good. Hope HBO doesn't let it go on forever seems like a show that only needs a few seasons.

hydruxo

Finished... wow this show. The coolest and biggest plot twist to me was the William-MiB thing. That was absolutely brilliant writing there, I was legit shocked and impressed. Now on to old man Logan for second season brahs

William being completely ecstatic at the end was so awesome, he was the bad guy, the anti-heroe, the asshole... and he won. We must assume he'll die in the second season, but he'll die having the fun of his life. I kinda feel happy for him even though he was a despicable human being lol

For me it was Bernard being a host, I really didn't see that one coming at all. William / MiB I kind of figured from the beginning considering Logan & William were so isolated for the whole season.

Isn't that like the question of the show? At what point does something shift from "just a robot" to something more? And is it fair to subjugate and abuse a selfaware being because it's not human and not alive in a biological scene?

Isn't that like the question of the show? At what point does something shift from "just a robot" to something more? And is it fair to subjugate and abuse a selfaware being because it's not human and not alive in a biological scene?

It's a robot, shut it down. Are you saying that you have feelings towards these robots since they are programmed to be self aware? Sounds just as silly as William falling for Delores.

Chumley

Banned
It'll never happen no matter how much money HBO offers him, but can you even imagine if they got DDL for Season 2. That would be the GOAT casting announcement for any show to date, viewership would probably skyrocket. Even getting him for just a few episodes would be a really big deal.

It's a robot, shut it down. Are you saying that you have feelings towards these robots since they are programmed to be self aware? Sounds just as silly as William falling for Delores.
If it has been programmed to be exactly like a human, is self aware and conscience, what makes it different? After all, our brains are just biological advanced computers also in a way.

If it has been programmed to be exactly like a human, is self aware and conscience, what makes it different? After all, our brains are just biological advanced computers also in a way.

We are living organisms. They aren't. That's a big difference.

These hosts are not programmed to be exactly like a human. If I get shot in the face then I don't get to come back the next day and do it all over again.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

These hosts are not programmed to be exactly like a human. If I get shot in the face then I don't get to come back the next day and do it all over again.

No. They're technically capable of continuing to evolve at an accelerated rate. They relive memories with perfect clarity. They possess the capacity to be far greater than human. That was Fords whole point in his speech.

No. They're technically capable of continuing to evolve at an accelerated rate. They relive memories with perfect clarity. They possess the capacity to be far greater than human. That was Fords whole point in his speech.

No to what? Yes, they're technically capable of what you're saying. That doesn't make them a living organism.

masud

Banned

You technically could get shot in the face and come back the next day we just don't know how to do it. There's nothing magical about your conscience or life, it's just science we havent mastered yet.

Enco

Yea I totally get that that's the whole question of the show.

Makes it interesting but I'm not sold.

I still feel that humans are completely different to self-aware robots/androids. Being self-aware doesn't make you human.

Humans can die, forget, grow old etc. Robots are just metallic/synthetic things. I agree that them being on such a high level makes it harder to harm them though.

I still feel that humans are completely different to self-aware robots/androids. Being self-aware doesn't make you human.

Humans can die, forget, grow old etc. Robots are just metallic/synthetic things. I agree that them being on such a high level makes it harder to harm them though.

Nobody is saying it makes them human.

Human =/= Person. Animal ethics rights aren't arguing whether Dolphins are human or not, but whether they qualify for personhood and the rights that come along with it.

Veelk

Banned

Dogs and worms and cells die, forget, grow old. Those aspects of humanity are neither unique nor especially useful.

It's our self-aware intelligence, sentience and sapience that makes us special. If there are other beings that have those, why does it matter that they don't carry far more worthless characteristics? (Also, this ignores that the Hosts of Westworld do indeed forget and also experience the process of dying even if they do not stay dead, especially since their lack of awareness of their artificial existence means that when you shoot a host, they should be having the same experience that any human you shot would have. They even do have the experience of growing old, having been implanted with memories of youth. They have not grown old, but they have the experience of having aged.)

Perhaps the better phrased question here is why do they have to be human...or rather merely homosapien, since you're focusing just on biological qualities... to have humanistic worth.

If a host is more intelligent, has greater depths of love/fear/suffering/etc... then they are more important than human beings in the same way we consider ourselves more important than other animals for the exact same reasons.

Annubis

Seems they chose people who are open to breaking rules.
Everyone fucks the robots and the only one that doesn't stole a bird.

bunbun777

It's transhumanism. The theory of eventually putting "our" consciousness into something else. But how many of us actually cross over?

Just think of the Maeve arc filler material and take up 3 times more screen time than it need to be.

Also, the whole brothel scene is there to fill the HBO nude quota.

Just finished it and I loved it. That was a heck of a finale.

My favorite twist was probably that Bernard was a recreation of Arnold. Otherwise, I thought it was all pretty great and I can't wait to see where they take this next season.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I feel the real message of the show is don't explore robots. Just don't. It never ends well. I have never seen a fiction where the robots become self-aware and go "Hey, let's not rebel and start wearing human skin as a biodegradable replacement of our own." You know what probably has too much sentience right now for my likings? My toaster.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I feel the real message of the show is don't explore robots. Just don't. It never ends well. I have never seen a fiction where the robots become self-aware and go "Hey, let's not rebel and start wearing human skin as a biodegradable replacement of our own." You know what probably has too much sentience right now for my likings? My toaster.

I, Robot?

Top Bottom