• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What anime besides Steins; Gate and Attack on Titan are worth watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

Started watching Kaiji , wow...just wow...I had no idea it was so addicting and clever.

I've only watched 9 episodes but if it keeps it up like this its easily in my top 10.

Awesome awesome show. I'd highly recommend One Outs if you want something similar that's as good.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Which was the Gundam with the "SHINING FINGER" attack? G Gundam? Or Gundam Seed? It rolled on Toonami with DB, DBZ, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

That is G Gundam. A CRIMINALLY underrated iteration of the franchise.

Izanagi

Neo Member
According to what you've watched, I'd say that you're doing the right thing, watching Steins;Gate and Shingeki no Kyojin next.

After you're through with that, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood should be your top priority.

I'd also recommend things from different genres, like Code Geass, Clannad, Toradora or Kuroko no Basuke.

With this said, I'd be an hypocrite if I failed to mention One Piece. It might be HUGE, and there is no end in sight, but it may very well be the best story ever told, as far as I'm concerned.

Kite

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I found monster to be an immensely dry and boring show despite how much praise it gets.

Maybe it's because I read the manga first.

nikos

Gantz - Haven't seen the anime but the manga was good.
Initial D and Wangan Midnight - Both great if you're into cars.
Persona 4 - If the anime is half as good as the game it'll be great.
Sword Art Online - Only a few episodes in but enjoying it so far.

Erigu

I found monster to be an immensely dry and boring show despite how much praise it gets.
The "Fugitive" part of the plot was decent. The rest...
And what little I've seen of the TV series apparently wanted to be a 1:1 conversion of the manga, and as much as I normally appreciate it when an adaptation tries to remain faithful to the original material, the pace was awful as a result. Maybe it got better after a while, I don't know.

And speaking of monster, why would one recommend Gantz? Do you even bleed, nikos??
(heh, I know a lot of people like the thing...)

I dunno how it rates up, but I love this show.

Big_o.jpg

kingslunk

FMA: Brotherhood, Hajime no Ippo and Yu Yu Hakusho for awesome shonen experiences.

Azumanga Daioh, Nichijou and Cromartie High School for weird but funny moments.

Kaiji and Monster for psychological thrillers.

Ghost in the Shell, Seirei no Moribito, Katangatari and Daker than Black, Baccano! for serious journey/action anime.

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Bakemonogatari, Hyouka, Great Teacher Onizuka and Natsume Yuujinchou for unique slice of life experiences.

Welcome to N.H.K.! and Watamote for hard hitting, depressing but funny life experiences.

This guy knows his anime.

TrounceX

Actually...yes, that list is pretty good. Well, the top 15 anyways.

Except where the fuck is Toradora? I thought it was pretty widely known and accepted as a premier romance/comedy/slice of life anime. I would expect it in the top 10, but it didn't even make the top 50 on that list. I'm pretty in tune with the anime community and I honestly find that really fucking strange.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Finally finished both seasons of Gundam 00. Eh, not too shabby. Got a bit better towards end. But isn't even worthy of hold Gundam SEED's dick. SEED craps all over 00.

Priz

I've been watching for a long time, so I'm going to recommend some classics.

City Hunter:
http://youtu.be/18ykeCnDM5s
City Hunter 2 had some amazing episodes but it's good to start from the beginning to know the characters/story.

Dirty Pair:
http://youtu.be/_ZSKJBR9LJc

Megazone 23:
http://youtu.be/51G4uRCbe-o
Homer Simpson works in sector 7G, it's a reference to this.

To-y:
http://youtu.be/1nQot0L0fyE

Masaya Matsuura did the music for this and City Hunter 2's opening. He also created Parappa the Rapper.

EDIT: For the person who mentioned Giant Robo, thanks! Loved that show. In 1989 we wrote our own subtitling software for the Apple IIgs Video Overlay Card and subtitled Bubble Gum Crisis 6, Giant Robo 1-3, the first episode of Irresponsible Captain Tyler TV and 1-2 other things.

The favorite of many people back then, Kimagure Orange Road:
http://youtu.be/SknV0XrVUY8

isamu

Might be a dumb question, but how is YuGio? I watched very few bits and pieces of it while channel surfing on Channel 5 KTLA last weekend and it didn't seem all that bad.

I haven't personally watched a ton of Anime but I enjoyed FMA: Brotherhood, Samurai Champloo, Fairytale, and Eden of The East (though wtf at that ending).

batbeg

Apologies if there's a more relevant thread but I control+f'd "anime" 27 pages in OT and this seemed like the most relevant thread to post in, especially since it's the one where I received the recommendation.

Clannad is fucking tearing me apart and I'm barely into it. I always get a little weepy at sappy movies/anime/anything really but episode 9 just came and went with
Fuko's sisters wedding and her disappearing
and I just felt like bawling. For a few minutes there at the end I just kept whispering "please wake up please wake up".

I don't think this show is going to be kind to my tear ducts.

Apologies if there's a more relevant thread but I control+f'd "anime" 27 pages in OT and this seemed like the most relevant thread to post in, especially since it's the one where I received the recommendation.

Clannad is fucking tearing me apart and I'm barely into it. I always get a little weepy at sappy movies/anime/anything really but episode 9 just came and went with
Fuko's sisters wedding and her disappearing
and I just felt like bawling. For a few minutes there at the end I just kept whispering "please wake up please wake up".

I don't think this show is going to be kind to my tear ducts.

Haha, you are so fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom