• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of your most memorable restaurant meals, good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

We haven't had a thread like this in a while and I'm curious what people's experiences in this regard have been. I'm sure we have people here with experience from the smallest food shack to the most refined Michelin-starred 'raunt.

I worked as a waiter in a mid-end steakhouse on and off for a bit in college and then in another restaurant briefly after college and mostly had pretty pleasant customers but I know some here will have some zany stories from that perspective as well. Unfortunately the first restaurant I worked for went out of business a few years back; they had excellent steaks, sandwiches, pizza, salad, lots of things.

One of my all-time favorite meals was in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca on a trip to Costa Rica my wife and I took in 2012. It's a really gorgeous area and offers a lot of ecotourism and local flavor.

puerto-viejo-de-talamanca.jpg

There are several local restaurants of not only Caribbean cuisine but also many other ethnicities as well. Crepes, sushi, all kinds of stuff. One in particular was exemplary above all others, though:

basic-fresh-fish-dinner.jpg

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...rto_Viejo_de_Talamanca_Province_of_Limon.html

This is a picture from Lazlo's Catch of the Day. It's not a picture I took, and it probably isn't much to look at. You get a piece of fish, grilled and seasoned beautifully, with some perfectly cooked French fries and grilled veggies. I believe it was red bell pepper that day. What makes the cuisine exemplary beyond the pitch perfect cookery is that the Lazlo and his family go out and catch the fish that same day, then cook it up and serve it till it runs out. So this is just about the freshest fish you can find, and ridiculously delicious. The café is al fresco-style dining, nestled next to a (at least when we were there) pizza joint, across the street from another also very good seafood restaurant. Just a stunning meal all around and maybe yet to be topped for us.

--

Now for a tale on the other end of things, not bad per se, but just strange. There's a couple of sushi restaurants, at least there were when we went, down in Puerto Viejo. Well, we chose to go to one of them on our last night in the village. The food was great, and we found it charming that a local cat (unsure if it was the owner's) liked to hop up on recently absent tables and gobble up leftover fish. The owner was a whip-smart expat from an Asian country that's escaping me at the moment. I went to the restroom at one point and glanced down mid-stream. There was a paperweight of a snake (turtle? now I'm forgetting) in middle of the bowl. It seemed an odd place for one but I kept relieving myself. Well, all of a sudden it moves. The snake leaps out of the toilet and scurries off. The owner assured me this is a relatively common occurrence but it was really startling.

Pickman

Prime at Bellagio in Vegas.

Did OK a the roulette wheel, went to treat myself to a nice higher end dinner.

Had a couple manhattans at the bar while I waited for a table. Was seated, and ordered a bowl of french onion soup, salad, a big aged ribeye they had on special, asparagus with almonds, and lobster mac n cheese.

Was looking forward to a heavenly meal.

Got the soup, crock wasn't terribly hot, so I took a spoonful without blowing on it. Contents were pure lava. I burned my tongue severely, to the point where it hurt to move in my mouth. My meal came, and not only did it hurt to eat it, I couldn't taste a single thing.

Cost me around $120.

I never eat soup, anymore. My luck I'll find a way to burn my mouth on salad.

Wife and I went to Omaha over the long weekend recently and we ate breakfast at some place called 11worth.

Best Bfast I've ever had.

Eggs were perfect
Waffle was perfect
Hashbrowns were perfect
Toast was perfect

I would eat there everyday if I could.

Fluvian

Banned
I had a great steak in L.A once and Kurt Russell was having lunch at the table in front of me, he asked me if the Ribeye was good and I told him it was excellent, he got it and gave me a thumbs up after the first bite, greatest moment of my deprived miserable life.

Aaron D.

Sushi Den (Denver, CO.)

Owned by two brothers. One running the restaurant the other sourcing the fish in Japan.

Brother #2 is on the docks at the Japanese fish market every morning. He selects the Catch of the Day and FedEx's the product direct to Denver, CO. So when you sit down for your dinner at Sushi Den, you're enjoying same-day fish straight off of the Japanese docks.

Incredibly affordable to boot.

norm9

Had some mole enchiladas in Mexico City at Azul Condensa. So sweet and delicious I think I got a cavity from it. I'd like to go back some day to eat more.

http://azul.rest/

Place was romantic too. Too bad I was traveling alone.

Was with family on a trip to DC. Ate at Grace's Mandarin at National Harbor.
They had this Thai curry sampler special that came with three generously sized iron pots of Green curry, Massaman Curry, and Penang Curry and a mound of rice the size of a man's head. Incredible stuff.
Finished it off with this dessert of tempura-fried bananas and vanilla bean ice cream.
Godly meal, overall.

Pickman

Good meal-wise, I had some fantastic ones while visiting DC recently.

Went to Mintwood Place and had the house made bbq glazed ribs, which were very good, but was blown away by the escargot hushpuppies. Fantastic grub.

Went to Daikaya and had some of the best ramen I've ever tried. The pork belly was incredible.

Went to Rasika and had the best indian food I've ever had in my life. Tandoori lamb chops were to die for.

DC is a fantastic foodie destination.

Robiin

I moved from Sweden to Norway with my best friend to work for one season. I ended up meeting a girl and stayed (still here and with her) and my friend moved back and went on with his life and met a girl in Sweden. We went from going to school together, then living with eachother in Norway and talking every day to basically only communicate via Facebook messenger. Then he visited me in me and my girl's new apartment and we cooked together and laughed just like old times. It should be mentioned that we share an interest in cooking, something no one else around us does (to this degree at least). Here's the beef wellington we made.
ubyn3sC.jpg

And heres the pasta we made from scratch.
uv2N0se.jpg

For the other meal I want to mention, me and the girlfriend went to Maaemo, Norway's only restaurant with 3 Michellin stars, for her birthday. It was the most expensive meal of my life, but also a damn good time. Around 30 small dishes of things I could not believe were so good, where each course topped the previous. Paired with amazing wine and atmosphere. Here is a langoustine tail in a pine tree branch with aroma of pine wood smoke.
q3igVTm.jpg

Dantannas in Sandy Springs GA. Ordered a Reuben for dinner during their grand opening, and it just so happens that I bit into a section that was just less than ice cold, and found a fake fingernail in it. They apologized, and asked if I wanted another sandwich, or something else. I told them I'll have the wings instead. They brought me out 10 of the tiniest pieces of lukewarm chicken I'd ever seen, and some cold dipping sauce. After I complained again, they comped the meal.

I enjoy a nice Reuben sandwich, and have eaten literally thousands in my life.

It isn't hard to make a decent reuben, but usually it gets fucked up in some key factor. I've had places put way too much meat, too much saurkraut, use the wrong bread, not offer dressing (BTW Thousand Island > Russian, and is the only right dressing). Sometimes the bread is too dry or else its soaking wet. I also think the swiss cheese should be melted.

When I was 12 years old (1990), I had the best open-faced reuben sandwich of my life from a restaraunt called No Place (that's not a funny joke, 'noplace' was literally the restaurant's name). It went out of business just a few months after eating this blissful sandwich, and I've chased the dream ever since. Now, I'm nearing 40, and there's a hole in my life that can only be filled with the perfect Reuben.

Raven117

I enjoy a nice Reuben sandwich, and have eaten literally thousands in my life.

It isn't hard to make a decent reuben, but usually it gets fucked up in some key factor. I've had places put way too much meat, too much saurkraut, use the wrong bread, not offer dressing (BTW Thousand Island > Russian, and is the only right dressing). Sometimes the bread is too dry or else its soaking wet. I also think the swiss cheese should be melted.

When I was 12 years old (1990), I had the best open-faced reuben sandwich of my life from a restaraunt called No Place (that's not a funny joke, 'noplace' was literally the restaurant's name). It went out of business just a few months after eating this blissful sandwich, and I've chased the dream ever since. Now, I'm nearing 40, and there's a hole in my life that can only be filled with the perfect Reuben.

Here here for the perfect Reuben. I have had a few sublime Reuben's the rest...well...as you describe.

Dreavus

I distinctly remember an awful meal years ago at Denny's of all places. It was lunch (I know I know) - just burger and fries. And It was just bad. Usually I'm okay with most things even if they're not great, but this was actively not appealing at all. I don't know if the fries were off or under cooked or what, but I've never disliked a meal at a restaurant so much and so completely before.

Norio's in the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island.

My wife and I had a knockout honeymoon in Hawaii. A few days on Kauai, a week on the Big Island, and a few days in Honolulu. My wife liked seafood, but at the time was wary of sushi.

We sat down right at the bar, and she started asking me questions. A chef strolled over and started chatting her up, asking her questions about what she'd had, what she liked, etc. She let him know that she had tried stuff in the past, but it was fishy tasting. In response, the chef started slicing stuff up and giving her samples. At one point, her eyes rolled up so far I damn near got jealous of the food she was eating.

Turns out, the chef hooking her up was Norio himself. She got hooked on sushi right then and there, and we went back a few more times during our stay. We had dinner on the beach during sunset on Waikiki beach, and it was gorgeous, but nothing topped that sushi.

There was also our trip to the Chicago Chop House. A few hundred bucks altogether, but that steak was right up there with what my old man could do, and certainly it was one of the best I've ever had. If you've got the dosh and want to take someone out for a great high end meal, hit up the Chop House and you won't regret it.

Then there was the time that I fell in love with the woman I married. I swung by her apartment after a long day at work, figuring we could both unwind a little bit. Turns out, she was about to split to make her shift over at Fridays, and I completely forgot. Before she left, she let me know that I could finish off the spaghetti she mad, if I wanted, and I figured the next best thing to a roll in the hay was some chow, so I bit (no pun intended).

It tasted just like the spaghetti my mom used to make. Somehow, this girl managed to use fake meat, but it tasted the same. And all of a sudden, I was in love.

It's the little things, I guess.

Was with family on a trip to DC. Ate at Grace's Mandarin at National Harbor.
They had this Thai curry sampler special that came with three generously sized iron pots of Green curry, Massaman Curry, and Penang Curry and a mound of rice the size of a man's head. Incredible stuff.
Finished it off with this dessert of tempura-fried bananas and vanilla bean ice cream.
Godly meal, overall.

I haven't heard of this joint but this sounds incredible.

maxcriden

I distinctly remember an awful meal years ago at Denny's of all places. It was lunch (I know I know) - just burger and fries. And It was just bad. Usually I'm okay with most things even if they're not great, but this was actively not appealing at all. I don't know if the fries were off or under cooked or what, but I've never disliked a meal at a restaurant so much and so completely before.

Sorry to hear it. Definitely not the best chain hy any stretch. You should go to the Denny's in Vermont. Real maple syrup for a buck extra. Makes their moderately bad food surprisingly better.

DopeToast

Banned
The Pine Club in Dayton, Ohio, opened in 1947 and is a pretty terrific steakhouse and has been named a few times by magazines and such as one of the best steakhouses in the country. It's a classic Midwestern supper club, and I've fallen in love with the place over the years. It's not fancy, and the salads are weak (just shredded iceberg and carrots) but the house dressing is fantastic, and the main reason you go is the meat. The filet is tops, so is the prime rib, so is the rib eye. I haven't tried much of the seafood or non-beef options, but I'm told they are good. Stewed tomatoes, loaded baked potatoes, fries, or even dinner hash browns, the onion straws, strong drinks, everything.

They don't take reservations or call ahead seating, and they only take cash (or you can set up an account with them), and the entrees are around $35-40ish. If anyone ever finds themselves in Dayton on business or for any reason, definitely check the place out.

(If you want something similar in style around Dayton, check out Treasure Island Supper Club, The Paragon Supper Club, or The Oakwood Club. All have that similar supper club style, and I think they take credit card.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom