• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2013)

Fxp

the-shadow-of-the-wind-by-carlos-ruiz-zafon.jpg

Decided to finally listen to audiobook of "Shadow of the Wind" while laying in the bed with flu. Fantastic book so far and dreamy atmosphere goes well with me just laying there half-listening and half-draming.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
16091827.jpg

Sergei Lukyanenko's New Watch

Mediocre ending to an otherwise great series. One of the very, very few urban fantasy series that I can say I really loved. Mainly because it avoided most of the tropes of the genre.

Pau

Argh the two novels I ordered I accidentally sent to the wrong address, and I won't be able to pick them up until next month. This is what I get for abandoning brick & mortar bookstores, isn't it?

I just hope the books stay there until I manage to go. :(

thomaser

2666slipcase.jpg

Still reading Roberto Bolaño's "2666". Just started the second volume, which contains part four (out of five... the first three parts or "books" are in the first volume).

Without spoiling much, this is how it's structured:

Part 1: Tells the story of four European professors in literature (one French, one Spanish, one English and one Italian) and their obsession with an elusive German author. They are the world's foremost experts on his works, but none of them have ever seen him. So they try to find him, and clues send them to Mexico, to the fictional town Santa Teresa (which is molded on Ciudad Juarez). There, they meet a few people including a Spanish professor in philosophy.

Part 2: Is about the life of the Spanish philosophy professor. He lives with his daughter in Santa Teresa, and is a nervous wreck because he's afraid his daughter will be killed. The last few years, hundreds of women have been killed in the city, and nobody knows why or who does it (the murders are in fact real, and have happened for years in Ciudad Juarez).

Part 3: Is about an afro-American journalist from New York called Fate. He writes about social issues for a local "black" magazine, and is suddenly sent to Santa Teresa to cover a boxing match (which he knows nothing about). There, he meets several strange people including the beautiful daughter of the Spanish professor, and a female journalist who writes about the killings and is scheduled to interview a suspected killer in jail.

Part 4: I'm only a little bit into it, but it seems to be a catalogue of all the murders, with details about every single one of them.

No idea about part 5 yet, obviously, but I suspect the stories are somehow connected there.

It's a strange, sprawling book so far, but very fascinating and readable. I have trouble putting it down, and often read until the early hours instead of sleeping. The fourth part seems as if it might become challenging, though, with the detailed descriptions about hundreds of murdered women...

Empty

salinger.jpg

this is pretty gosh darn wonderful. i never felt like i really got catcher in the rye as a teenage, maybe because i wasn't all that rebellious or just too stupid but i'm finding this a revelation. each piece is beautifully observed, the dialogue is absolutely impeccable and like all great short stories it's very stripped down and so much is achieved with so little.

my favourite so far is called a perfect day for bananafish, it's a striking, tragic story about a ww2 vet struggling with life in ordinary post-war america, haunted with pain from the war and unable to truly relate to his emotionally detached wife, yet it's only communicated through two brief conversations contrasting his wife with this child he meets on a beach, followed by a short ending paragraph.

062944-FC222.jpg

i'm not sure why my parents insist on always buying me a new boris johnson book for my birthday :/. anyway this is a history of london told through brief chapters focused on scores of famous londoners like shakespeare and churchill. it's pretty breezy and johnson keeps it witty and personable, i'm surprised and ashamed how little i knew about a lot of the history.

tumblr_mejf77AHbm1qaouh8o1_400.jpg

Just finished. It took me a while to get into it, but I really enjoyed it. Le Guin's exploration of gender was fascinating and
I was pretty bummed about Estraven's death.
This was my introduction to her works, so I'll have to read some additional books in the Hainish cycle.

Trying to figure out what to read next. Is Shift as good as Wool? Maybe I'll read that before Dust comes out in a few weeks.

fakefaker

New guy here, and I joined Gaf just for these threads. The amount of diversity being read here is amazing. Almost done it, but currently on the first Ciaphas Cain omnibus by Sandy Mitchell.

588333.jpg

Lumiere

Neo Member
I've been reading Ringworld, but I don't seem to be able to get into it even though I'm well past halfway now. While the concept is great, the story hasn't been that interesting and some of characters are very unlikable/annoying.

I'm used to reading older science fiction and I can even expect a certain degree of sexism from it, but wow, Teela's characterization is depressing :0

Trying to figure out what to read next. Is Shift as good as Wool? Maybe I'll read that before Dust comes out in a few weeks.

Overall I really liked Shift. Might be a bit uneven compared to Wool ( I found some storylines not too interesting), but the main storyline makes up for it. Looking forward to Dust!

thomaser

Looking to get into Bolano. Would this be a good place to start?

It's where I'm starting with him, and I love it so far. It's his most famous work, but keep in mind that he died before finishing it, so it was edited together by other people following Bolaño's wishes (sort of what happened with David Foster Wallace and The Pale King, although 2666 was in a much more complete state). I also have The Savage Detectives, which is another of his best known works.

Finished 600 Hours of Edward on the bus this morning. Very good. I'd recommend it. I may have misted up (a lot) during the final chapters.

Back to The Terror

Nezumi

Just finished Mistborn, what Sanderson should I read next?

Way of Kings. Not only my favorite Sanderson but probably the best book I've read last year. Other than that I also really enjoyed Warbreaker, which has the advantage of being available for free.

Pachimari

I'm looking to get back into reading on my Kindle and already have books to read.

But I would like some biographies, so which books are the very best about Marco Polo and the former Philippine president Marcos?

ShaneB

Finished 600 Hours of Edward on the bus this morning. Very good. I'd recommend it. I may have misted up (a lot) during the final chapters.

Back to The Terror

So glad you liked '600 Hours of Edward' bud. I cried quite a few times reading it. Hope you'll check out 'Edward Adrift' sooner than later :)

New guy here, and I joined Gaf just for these threads. The amount of diversity being read here is amazing. Almost done it, but currently on the first Ciaphas Cain omnibus by Sandy Mitchell.

Welcome!

Just finished Mistborn, what Sanderson should I read next?

Did you finish the entire trilogy or just the first book? If you haven't finished the trilogy, go ahead and finish it before moving on.

As stated above, The Way of Kings is a good read, but be warned that it is ~1000 pages and is the first in what is planned to be a 10-book series. So expect a time sink.

Elantris is a stand-alone novel and thoroughly enjoyable.

Warbreaker is also quite good.

The one thing you'll see about Sanderson is that he usually has an interesting magic system... and he can crank out books in record time.

DagsJT

So glad you liked '600 Hours of Edward' bud. I cried quite a few times reading it. Hope you'll check out 'Edward Adrift' sooner than later :)

Welcome!

As my inspiration for a lot of the books I read (you have great taste it seems, or at least the same as me), which book have you enjoyed most recently?

I'm currently reading "Jacked: The Outlaw Story Of Grand Theft Auto" and really enjoying it so far. 39% in and I imagine I'll need a new book in a few days and have already bookmarked "The Walk", "600 Hours Of Edward", "Cyberstorm" and "Wonder".

ShaneB

As my inspiration for a lot of the books I read (you have great taste it seems, or at least the same as me), which book have you enjoyed most recently?

I'm currently reading "Jacked: The Outlaw Story Of Grand Theft Auto" and really enjoying it so far. 39% in and I imagine I'll need a new book in a few days and have already bookmarked "The Walk", "600 Hours Of Edward", "Cyberstorm" and "Wonder".

Thank you for the kind words, it does mean a lot to know the books I've chosen to read would influence someone else to do the same.I was just telling Mak last night that I was hoping someone was paying attention to my posts :) I'm just finding myself more drawn to personal, uplifting stories about underdogs, or redemption arcs from characters in troubled situations, that make me reflect on what I am going through myself.

'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" was my favourite book I read this year until I read '600 Hours of Edward" (and the sequel "Edward Adrift"), so those will generally my go-to recommendations moving foward. I think you would really love them, I hope you do. It also helps that 600 Hours of Edward was a sort of discovery I made on my own after it was the Amazon Daily, just something that Amazon seem perfectly tailored saying "Shane, you will LOVE this".

The Walk series I am really loving (currently on book 3 of 4), no idea if the 4th is the last one, they are very quick reads since I get so absorbed in them, Cyberstorm was really great as well, and quite terrifying. Wonder was a fun read, but a hard sell since it does skew very young with the writing at times, but it does share a wonderful message of dealing with being different.

Krowley

Recently Finished:

Xcrki2M.jpg

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
After finishing, and loving,The Wind Up Bird Chronicles, I chose this as my second Murakami book. Overall I had very mixed feelings about it, mostly because I drastically preferred one of the alternating narratives to the other. Overall, it was a solid 3/5 kind of book for me with some brilliant parts, but nowhere near as good as Wind-Up Bird. I'll probably go with Kafka on the Shore as my next Murakami book.

Sgs7A70l.jpg

A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher 17) by Lee Child
It's amazing that after 17 books, most of the Jack Reacher books are still good enough to finish, and usually I read them really fast. This one wasn't amazing, but I enjoyed it for the most part, and had a good time. The one written just before this one, (a prequel of sorts called The Affair) was actually excellent and one of the best books in a while, so I'm still on board for more Jack Reacher, even if the coincidences Child uses to get Reacher into trouble in each book are starting to really strain credulity. More and more, Reacher's sort of turning into a super hero anyway, so it's easier to deal with a little implausibility.

Overall I really liked Shift. Might be a bit uneven compared to Wool ( I found some storylines not too interesting), but the main storyline makes up for it. Looking forward to Dust!

Sweet, I'll pick that up next, then. :) I also have The Name of the Wind to read, but I keep reading such mixed reviews that I'm not that excited to read it, at this point.

51jf4bMp13L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Anyone read Rutherford before? So far, this is good stuff - not ultra-stellar writing (but *certainly* no more pedestrian than, say, Follett, whose 'Pillars of the Earth' I never did manage to finish), but I think this is strong historical fiction - a good balance between explaining history and character(s) development. Despite the large leaps in years between the chapters, he really does give good overviews of what has transpired on the larger scale of things during these leaps. Plus, a lot of interesting tidbits that you wouldn't get out of a straight history text.

He's basically an English-born and educated James Michener.

Falstaff

Banned

Holy shit! I've always heard how great Crane was but my god he more than meets the hype. His poetry is a sublime mix of experimental syntax and traditional lyrical imagery in a way that's been described as "soft avant garde". They are as songlike as modern poetry is allowed to be, but they are never sentimental or mawkish. These are poems that move, like Yeats, Blake, or Keats.

He is often classified as a futurist and while he doesn't share their unqualified optimism for technology, he seems to be interested in how the modern world can untether the soul of mankind. As he says in his "For the Marriage of Helen and Faustus", "The imagination spans beyond despair,/Outpacing bargain, vocable and prayer." Truly amazing and I'll leave a passage from his six-part Voyages series as a taste:

--And yet this great wink of eternity,
Of rimless floods, unfettered leewardings,
Samite sheeted and processioned where
Her undinal vast belly moonward bends,
Laughing the wrapt inflections of our love;

Take this Sea, whose diapason knells
On scrolls of silver snowy sentences,
The sceptred terror of whose sessions rends
As her demeanors motion well or ill,
All but the pieties of lovers' hands.

And onward, as bells off San Salvador
Salute the crocus lustres of the stars,
In these poinsettia meadows of her tides,--
Adagios of islands, O my Prodigal,
Complete the dark confessions her veins spell.

Mark how her turning shoulders wind the hours,
And hasten while her penniless rich palms
Pass superscription of bent foam and wave,--
Hasten, while they are true,--sleep, death, desire,
Close round one instant in one floating flower.

Bind us in time, O Seasons clear, and awe.
O minstrel galleons of Carib fire,
Bequeath us to no earthly shore until
Is answered in the vortex of our grave
The seal's wide spindrift gaze toward paradise.

I so very much want to love poetry, but I'm just not smart enough. At least not smart enough for the abstract, terribly erudite stuff. I'm more of the earthy, Charles Simic school of poetry, I guess - dazzled, despite the use of fairly plain language.

Piecake

I so very much want to love poetry, but I'm just not smart enough. At least not smart enough for the abstract, terribly erudite stuff. I'm more of the earthy, Charles Simic school of poetry, I guess - dazzled, despite the use of fairly plain language.

Don't buy into that argument. Disliking poetry does not mean that you are not smart enough. Its simply personal taste. Personally, I find poetry boring because I need the work to have good characters to keep me invested. Well, that sure isnt going to be present in poetry

Falstaff

Banned
Don't buy into that argument. Disliking poetry does not mean that you are not smart enough. Its simply personal taste. Personally, I find poetry boring because I need the work to have good characters to keep me invested. Well, that sure isnt going to be present in poetry

Shakespeare is poetry and he has cool characters????

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I've been reading Bird on Fire. I'm halfway through it and enjoying it. Reading the chapter about all of the chemicals being dumped was very upsetting. I think I found out about this book in a thread about urban sprawl here.

41BtPn-uFgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

meijiko

Was getting a little burned out on genre fiction, so I tried out this gem:

izIPh1U.jpg

Read it in about a day. Books don't usually make me cry, but this one really touched me for some reason. Maybe it was because my own gay uncle left us too soon, though I can't claim to have anything remotely similar to the relationship that June had, nor can I admit to getting to know his partner that he kept secret from our family for many years. We weren't close, but this books makes me wish we had been.

Writing was clean and simple and very effective. I'm always really appreciative of books that explore the concept of love in its many forms, and this one is fairly unique in its themes. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but those even remotely interested in the subject matter should check it out.

bengraven

I haven't read anything in over a month (Sabriel was my last) and I honestly have no idea what to read.

I know I should read Ocean at the end of the Lane, but I want to save Neil for when I really really am desperate for the kind of comfort only Gaiman can give.

Maybe I'll give Leviathon Wakes a try. I want to read some real sci-fi space opera kind of stuff, but without the overwhelming philosophy or spiritualism that the recommended space opera books usually feature.

I haven't read anything in over a month (Sabriel was my last) and I honestly have no idea what to read.

I know I should read Ocean at the end of the Lane, but I want to save Neil for when I really really am desperate for the kind of comfort only Gaiman can give.

Maybe I'll give Leviathon Wakes a try. I want to read some real sci-fi space opera kind of stuff, but without the overwhelming philosophy or spiritualism that the recommended space opera books usually feature.

Weber's Honor Harrington series is pretty good "popcorn" space opera.

fakefaker

Stayed up till 1am to finish the first Ciaphas Cain Omnibus, and decided to do some sailing with The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson. I hear it's good.

productimage-picture-the-long-ships-89_jpg_180x539_q85.jpg

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Stayed up till 1am to finish the first Ciaphas Cain Omnibus, and decided to do some sailing with The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson. I hear it's good.

productimage-picture-the-long-ships-89_jpg_180x539_q85.jpg

If I had to judge a book by its cover, I'd declare this the greatest book of all time.

lightus

Finished The Blade Itself last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a lot different than I was expecting. Started off rather slow but I was never bored reading it. The fight scenes are really great. Can't wait to read the next one.

Starting on Shift now. Anyone else who has a physical copy have some weird distortion on their cover? It looks like they took a .jpg of the cover and stretched it. It's not bad or anything, just being nit picky.

Sleepy

It's where I'm starting with him, and I love it so far. It's his most famous work, but keep in mind that he died before finishing it, so it was edited together by other people following Bolaño's wishes (sort of what happened with David Foster Wallace and The Pale King, although 2666 was in a much more complete state). I also have The Savage Detectives, which is another of his best known works.

Start with The Savage Detectives. If you like that you'll love 2666, if you don't it's not as big a time investment.

Thanks. I was wondering about his new book of poetry, as well (The Unknown University?). Not normally a fan a poetry, but I read a few and they were awesome.

Jag

Dammit, all this Long Ships praise, I need to bump it up in my queue.

I think so too. I love historical fiction, but I've been living mostly on a diet of Bernard Cornwell. His books are decent, but almost every book is so formulaic and predictable at this point.

I decided to take a break from fiction for a while.

The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power
9GfGf6v.jpg

This might be the most thoroughly researched book I have ever read. I am extremely impressed so far.

Read this a looong time ago (as reading goes). Basically, 'he who has the resources AND can get them where they need to be *when* they need to be there, wins'. The WWII portion was especially informative: don't invade Russia if you can't get fuel your tanks.

Finished The Blade Itself last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a lot different than I was expecting. Started off rather slow but I was never bored reading it. The fight scenes are really great. Can't wait to read the next one.

Starting on Shift now. Anyone else who has a physical copy have some weird distortion on their cover? It looks like they took a .jpg of the cover and stretched it. It's not bad or anything, just being nit picky.

I'm just starting Shift now, as well! I have the Kindle edition and the cover looks weird. I think it's just poor design.

Top Bottom