• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2013)

Starting my first Neil Gaiman.

american_godsonHBO.jpg

Sleepy

American Gods was my first Gaiman, as well. I found it a decent read. I really don't see the fuss over him, though.

The Queen's Gambit was excellent. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who liked The Luzhin Defense or Chess Story. Of if you just enjoy stories about Chess obsession and madness in general.

I've been playing the new Shadowrun game and really like the mix of cyberpunk noir and fantasy, so I stopped by the thrift store and managed to find a few books based in the universe. Gonna check them out next.

Finished up Little Brother from the Humble bundle. It was a very fun read. Interested in checking out Homeland now, by the same author.

ShaneB

Blasted through 'The Walk' series really fast, really enjoyed them, now it sucks to have to wait for the next one to come out :( 4th book got a little wierd in one spot, and a little heavy on the "God" stuff, but I still had a great time marathoning them (well, they're quick reads). I'm fully invested in Alan's journey and the people he meets.

51oGCaoq6vL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-70,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51Ob5BGQNhL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-70,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
516CXX3-pqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-70,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51CAwAsrIHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-70,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now to decide what is next!

I really don't see the fuss over him, though.

Having only read American Gods and The Ocean at the End of the Lane (both this year), I agree with you. He writes very beautiful imagery and interesting characters, but the plot of both those books left me wanting a lot more.

Jintor

The Sandman is really Gaiman's magnum opus, but I think Coraline and to a lesser extent Stardust are also top tier. He's a fantastic short story writer in my opinion but his longer creations tend to meander off near the end.

His biography of Douglas Adams is also very good.

Blasted through 'The Walk' series really fast, really enjoyed them, now it sucks to have to wait for the next one to come out :( 4th book got a little wierd in one spot, and a little heavy on the "God" stuff, but I still had a great time marathoning them (well, they're quick reads). I'm fully invested in Alan's journey and the people he meets.

Now to decide what is next!

The Long Ships. Do it!

jacobs34

Finished The Spy Who Came In From The Cold yesterday. It was a slow starter for me, but it once it picked, up around 50 pages in, I couldn't put it down. This book kept me in real suspense until the last few pages, and dis so with a subtle touch that you are not going to find in most spy novels. The scene in which Mundt is put on trial is handled so deftly that I actually went back and reread it after I finished the book. All the pieces that had been expertly moved by LeCarre up to that point come into place, and there is a great aha moment that you experience at the same time as the protagonist.

I love how cynical Leamas is towards his profession, and the state of the world in general. I Imagine it's how anyone would feel after a lifetime of espionage. This is one those books that I am kicking myself for not reading before. It is definitely in my wheelhouse when it comes to what I think makes a great novel: it's smart, biting, the prose are simple yet effective, and it's a very lean book (248 pages). I'll definitely be returning to LeCarre for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy sometime later this year.

Pau

Just started Escape from Camp 14 after seeing it in this thread]. I don't know what to say about it besides that it's utterly insane how these camps still exist. But I guess it does explain how the indifference to similar situations in the past could ever happen.

House of Suns is fucking awesome. Beginning was kind if meh but I'm enjoying it now. The technology is extremely cool too.
how the hell is there a park inside of Campions/Purslanes ship
!? Really like Hesperus as a character.
hope he makes it through. :(

Been reading "A Heart-breaking Work Of Staggering Genius", which I picked up on a lark while in Seattle on a business trip at Twice-Sold Tales, as part of my survey of modern American literature. I don't know... I don't know. It's like if you gave Douglas Coupland amphetamines and decided it was somehow high prose from the sheer frantic-ness of it. Perhaps as I get older I have less time for what seem to be the self constructed problems of early adulthood.

Clegg

First SF book I've read in a while and I thought it was excellent.

What's the general consensus on Altered Carbon?

images

Just picked up this door stopper, although the dude that sold it to me says they get progressively harder to read.

101009.jpg
Huh, interesting that they created this collection. Typically The Black Dahlia is grouped together with those three books as the L.A. Quartet. Which reminds me, I really should read White Jazz. It's the only one I haven't read yet from the Quartet. BTW, L.A. Confindential is really good and different from the film. I'm amazed that the movie came out so good considering how dense the book is, but as written, that book is unfilmable.

The Dudley Smith trio? Hmm

EDIT: @joeyjoey - yeah its weird The Black Dahlia isn't part of that because that shows the start of Dudley's power.

Huh, interesting that they created this collection. Typically The Black Dahlia is grouped together with those three books as the L.A. Quartet. Which reminds me, I really should read White Jazz. It's the only one I haven't read yet from the Quartet. BTW, L.A. Confindential is really good and different from the film. I'm amazed that the movie came out so good considering how dense the book is, but as written, that book is unfilmable.

EDIT: @joeyjoey - yeah its weird The Black Dahlia isn't part of that because that shows the start of Dudley's power.

Would you guys recommend I read The Black Dahlia first?

Even then, the series of books are traditionally known as the L.A. Quartet. It seems odd that they renamed the series and dropped a book.
Would you guys recommend I read The Black Dahlia first?

Yeah, Black Dahlia is good and relatively short compared to the rest of the series.

If you can avoid it, don't bother with the movie. If you've seen the movie, the book is light years better.

TTG

I wrote some impressions on the previous page, it's good.

I've moved on to a couple of classics. I have this collection of four Hemingway novels, starting with The Sun Also Rises and I'm also sneaking in a Sherlock Holmes story here and there.

ShaneB

The Long Ships. Do it!

Yesssss.

And as per our conversation the other day, I did a little more thinking and I thought of a book that you might like ...
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

I'll get around to Long Ships eventually :p thanks for the recommendation Mak, I noticed that book before, seemed interesting enough. I went on a buying binge over at Amazon, picking up a bunch of things. When I Found You, Some Are Sicker Than Others, Erasure, and the book I think I'll read next The Summer Son(same author as the Edward books, feel like I should this)

41GBAJTho3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Moff

i just finished Abaddon's Gate.

I gotta say, I really like where the overall story of the expanse is going and how it is setup, expecially in Abaddon's Gate, although the book was probably the weakest yet. I think calibans war (anyone got that title? I guess its a biblical reference like the others?) was the best overall book, but I still love the first third of Leviathan Wakes the most.
I dont think the expanse will ever be a truly great series, but its certainly an enjoyable one thats easy to like.

Nymerio

Just finished another Malazan book: Toll the Hounds. Amazing book. I've heard a couple times that the series peaks in Memories of Ice but for me Toll the Hounds tops that easily. It also helps that the book contains a clash of two characters I've been waiting for for a couple of books now:
Iskaral Pust and Kruppe

Series spoilers up to the ending of Toll the Hounds:
It's neat how Karsa Orlong has gone from one of the most disliked characters to one of the most likable characters in the cast. Ever since he met Samar Dev he's been steadily getting more likable, I especially liked the ending of the Bonehunters where he slaps the blacksmith for making the cursed sword and telling him not to do it again. The friendship developing between him and Traveller was also really fun to read, especially with an annoyed Samar Dev in the middle of it.

I think I've said it before but I love the wacky characters in the Malazan books. My favourite among them has to be Iskaral Pust. That guy always manages to crack me up. I really hope that Shadowthrone and Cotillion succeed in whatever they're trying to accomplish. It's kinda weird reading about Shadowthrone's time as emperor of the Malazans when he's now almost as crazy as his Magus. I love how he seems dread having Iskaral Pust as his Magus when it's clear they're both cut from the same material. And lol at Iskaral Pust for writing the book of shadow for Shadowthrone and rewriting it so he can have two wifes :D

Just finished another Malazan book: Toll the Hounds. Amazing book. I've heard a couple times that the series peaks in Memories of Ice but for me Toll the Hounds tops that easily. It also helps that the book contains a clash of two characters I've been waiting for for a couple of books now:
Iskaral Pust and Kruppe

Series spoilers up to the ending of Toll the Hounds:
It's neat how Karsa Orlong has gone from one of the most disliked characters to one of the most likable characters in the cast. Ever since he met Samar Dev he's been steadily getting more likable, I especially liked the ending of the Bonehunters where he slaps the blacksmith for making the cursed sword and telling him not to do it again. The friendship developing between him and Traveller was also really fun to read, especially with an annoyed Samar Dev in the middle of it.

I think I've said it before but I love the wacky characters in the Malazan books. My favourite among them has to be Iskaral Pust. That guy always manages to crack me up. I really hope that Shadowthrone and Cotillion succeed in whatever they're trying to accomplish. It's kinda weird reading about Shadowthrone's time as emperor of the Malazans when he's now almost as crazy as his Magus. I love how he seems dread having Iskaral Pust as his Magus when it's clear they're both cut from the same material. And lol at Iskaral Pust for writing the book of shadow for Shadowthrone and rewriting it so he can have two wifes :D

I read the first Malazan book and found it dense and confusing. There's so much GAF love in here for the series that I'm considering picking up book 2, but at this point I'm so far removed from reading the first book that I have zero recollection of characters/events/etc.

Nymerio

I didn't like the first book was well. I was ready to move on to other stuff but gave it another chance anyway. The first book is in no way indicative of the quality of the rest of the series. You could always just read a synopsis of the first book and go straight to the second if you feel like it.

Finished The Passage yet, BB? I'm really curious what you thought about the second part.

Stayed up until 3:30 last night finishing it. I'd say it's the best "genre" book I've ever read but it kind puts to pasture the idea that any books should be regarded as such going forward.

If this dude can write a book that's totally engrossing and plot driven and yet kicks you in the shins with earned emotional stakes and just total heartbreak everywhere, what's anyone else's excuse?

Second half was like the first half, only even better. ;D

Stayed up until 3:30 last night finishing it. I'd say it's the best "genre" book I've ever read but it kind puts to pasture the idea that any books should be regarded as such going forward.

If this dude can write a book that's totally engrossing and plot driven and yet kicks you in the shins with earned emotional stakes and just total heartbreak everywhere, what's anyone else's excuse?

Second half was like the first half, only even better. ;D

Glad you liked it. Cronin really is a gifted writer - it's like reading someone "paint" the words across the page. Apparently he came up with the story with his young daughter on daily bike rides to school. I gotta find time to read his second book in the trilogy that just came out. I highly recommend Cronin's "The Summer Guest" - it's neither sci-fi or S. King but it's mesmerizing writing.

Glad you liked it. Cronin really is a gifted writer - it's like reading someone "paint" the words across the page. Apparently he came up with the story with his young daughter on daily bike rides to school. I gotta find time to read his second book in the trilogy that just came out. I highly recommend Cronin's "The Summer Guest" - it's neither sci-fi or S. King but it's mesmerizing writing.

Yeah I read about his daughter in the Q n A in the back.

Sah cute!!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Post I made a few days ago:

Game_of_thrones.jpeg

Let's see what all the hype is about!

250 pages later, and I must confess, the hype is warranted.

Don't think I've ever read a book with such impeccable pacing. I'm struggling to put it down. Each chapter is the perfect length, with the perfect amount of storytelling, with the perfect cliffhanger.

So good.

Post I made a few days ago:

250 pages later, and I must confess, the hype is warranted.

Don't think I've ever read a book with such impeccable pacing. I'm struggling to put it down. Each chapter is the perfect length, with the perfect amount of storytelling, with the perfect cliffhanger.

So good.

The seconds one is also very gripping. 3rd and 4th have been a let down for me.

TripOpt55

I just finished Shadows Linger the second book in The Black Company series. I am just loving these so far. Can't wait to jump into The White Rose which I hope to do some time today.

kinn

House of Suns is fucking awesome. Beginning was kind if meh but I'm enjoying it now. The technology is extremely cool too.
how the hell is there a park inside of Campions/Purslanes ship
!? Really like Hesperus as a character.
hope he makes it through. :(

A great read. Pushing Ice by the same author is also good.

images

I personally loved it.

thomaser

Midway in part 4 of Bolano's "2666". It's amazing, and absolutely terrible. One particular page was so hard to read that I had to put down the book and take a breather. This part of the book is like a hypnotic never-ending parade of awfulness, but it's still so damned interesting and well-written that it's impossible to look away. Except for that one page.

Top Bottom