• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still making my way through Republic of Thieves. It's not... bad, but it feels so contrived and pointless. :( I feel like I'm just reading it out of obligation to The Lies of Locke Lamora.
And because I paid for it. :p

LOVE the show True Detective. Any good crime drama books that ooze with atmosphere that's comparable to the show?

Would like something like this too.

The only one that comes to mind that I've read is The Alienist, but it's set in early 1900s New York, so not sure if you'd be into it.

Would like something like this too.

The only one that comes to mind that I've read is The Alienist, but it's set in early 1900s New York, so not sure if you'd be into it.

Yeah I'll check it out thanks.

I was at Barnes and Noble earlier looking for a book like TD. No luck though

Sober

DURNYHT.jpg

Haven't sat down and read a novel properly in ages. Thank goodness I picked this up (written by a friend of a friend, actually) and it was just the right amount of what I like reading in terms of prose and pacing. I hate admitting some books put me to sleep or make my eyes glaze over, but this didn't. Hopefully I'm set on reading more books now. Already on the prowl for the next novel to read.

the_road_oprahs_book_club.large.jpg

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Just finished. Good lord.

Recommended to anyone with the stomach for it.

time to read his western novels. You can start with No Country For Old Men, it and The Road are McCarthy-lite. That isn't to disparage the novels, they're fantastic. His archaic diction and lyrical terror just isn't full-force in his latest works. Outer Dark is a good entry into his Appalachian novels.

More than halfway through reading both:

the-rocket-and-the-reich-peenemunde-and-the-coming-of-the-ballistic-missile-era.jpg

and

51NWS23T09L._SL237.jpg

Texasville is ridiculously hilarious. I was not expecting such a funny novel about depressed people.

The rocket and the reich helps color my previous reading of Gravity's Rainbow. I wish I had read this novel before reading GR, as it would certainly contextualize some of the rocket segments. It does seem to push me towards a reread of the novel perhaps later this year after finishing the rest of Pynchon's works.

obin_gam

Finished Hyperion a couple of days ago.
Two of the six tales were good
(The Priests Tale and The Scholars Tale)
. The rest boring and annoying.
Hope Fall of Hyperion is better.

Jintor

I must have a heart of stone, because I didn't get into the Road at all.

I probably wasn't feeling it when I read it. I dunno.

Reyne

Currently reading through the Accursed Kings books by Maurice Druon and is about to start on Book 3, The Poisoned Crown.

Definitively recommend them if you are looking for medieval court intrigue in the vein of Game of Thrones, only, its historical fiction based on real events of fourteenth century France.

Hey GAF,

I know this is kind of the wrong thread, but it's somewhat related so I'm throwing this out there.

I've been an avid reader all my life and have always loved books. I 've got those bittersweet memories of lugging around big ass Sci-Fi anthologies in my backpack, struggling to choose which books to carry in my bags on trips, the whisper of the pages late at night, and the smell of a brand new book (which is maybe third only to the smell of a fresh pack of trading cards and butt-busting spicy chicken wings.)

Now, after years of living in Japan with insane price markups, long-ass shipping times, and less space to store my atheneum - I'm finally considering an e-reader.

How many of you use a reader? Do you miss the tactile sensation of actually reading? Mumei had an excellent post a while back about the differences between the two mediums that was a good read, but I'm also interested in your opinions.

The idea of buying a book (often cheaper!) and then downloading it instantly is really tempting - almost scary if I think about my credit card bill! So what do you think? Am I just a paper dinosaur? Should I get with the times and save some trees?

I've been using a Kindle since .. 2009 or 2010. It was awkward at first and took me a few days to get used to but after that I've never wanted to turn back. Now when I want a book I check to see if its on Kindle first. The only way I buy paperback is if I can get for super cheap or if its not available electronically.

If you decide to get an eReader go for the best of the best and get a Kindle Paperwhite with the official Amazon case. The display is fantastic, fast response, no buttons, backlit (this was a game changer for me), and with the official case has an auto on off feature when you open the cover.

Came across this book by random on my library's eBook website, and figured I'd give it a try. It has been an enjoyable read, but the amount of footnotes for untranslated words and phrases is kind of frustrating on the kindle version.

TTG

Those Kindle "hey, you loved the movie so here's the book" sales got me again, reading No Country For Old Men. Having read Blood Meridian I did not plan on going back for any more McCarthy. I'm glad to have read it and it is indeed powerful in places, but at no point did I think to myself that I wanted more of that sort of thing. But, as I said, I loved the movie:

no_country_for_old_men.large.jpg

Only 30 pages in and I can already say that reigning in the more poetic/abstract elements is a positive over all. It also helps to have an interesting plot instead of a parade of suffering and generally grotesque... stuff; that's actually the big change here. I gotta say though, there are still some things that irk me stylistically. I don't think I've seen a single comma yet, it's all bare bones short sentences. It's not blatantly offensive, just seems contrived in places, it pulls me out of the narrative when the author decides to hit me over the head with a particular style. He walked to the car. He opened the door. Tried to roll down the window but the mechanism didn't work. Closed the door. Glassed the surrounding countryside. Look at this. Isn't it so cool when I write like this. I bet when I get to a sentence that's got anything more to say you're going to think it's some profound shit. That's how starved you'll be. That's right. Anyway, my first impression is positive on the whole.

Also finished Flowers for Algernon the day before yesterday. I thought it was great as a high school read, sort of in the same category as Lord of the Flies. I don't mean to dismiss it by saying that. It has a novel central idea, but something in the execution just didn't come together to put it over the top, the way Fahrenheit 451 does, for example.

Lastly, I made it through about 100 pages of Don Quixote before wandering off. I'll come back to it, the book is far too good not to. I just wish I was enjoying it(moment to moment) more because I get the sense that that was what it was written for first and foremost.

Nuke Soda

80 pages into The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer and the books size and length are making me feel like I bit off more than I can chew. I have read a couple of thousand page books before, but they were smaller, more pocket sized and this this thing is a behemoth.

Finished

rubiconBig.jpg

Thoroughly engaging. Although it did seem like the cast of characters were more overpowered than even those in the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

coldvein

Banned
reading "A Clergyman's Daughter" by George Orwell, given to me by a friend, so im obligated to get through it. well written and quite funny. kind of a slow start, but the pace has dramatically picked up recently.

didnt know any of this dudez work outside of 1984 and Animal Farm.

LOVE the show True Detective. Any good crime drama books that ooze with atmosphere that's comparable to the show?

Read Nic Pizzolatto's (True Detective's creator and writer) novel Galveston. It's not quite as dark as True Detective, but it takes place in the same area of the country and there are some other similarities. It's not a crime drama, per se, in that the main character is a detective/cop investigating crimes, but it has a criminal element and is highly atmospheric.

Agreed, it is definitely a bit overwhelming at the beginning! I'd recommend going by the internal chronological order - or at least that's what I did and I thought it worked out great. :)

You're wonderful, thank you! I'll pick up the omnibuses, since that seems the best way to go. I'll let you know what I think when I start reading them!

Just finished reading James S. A. Corey's Expanse series -
Expanse.jpg

Just some good ol' fashion Space Opera.

You've got political turmoil between the increasingly independent outer planet colonies and the inner planets that govern them. Their differences going beyond regional and ethnic divisions as the physical effects of growing up in Low G creates a physical schism between those in the outerplanets and those who grew up in the gravity wells of Mars and Earth.

Throw yourself in a dash of potential conspiracy and set yourself up in that in between time where Humanity has been able to viably colonize the outer solar system but still haven't quite gotten to the point where going to other stars is on the table. The Expanse was a series that surprised and delighted me while definitely scratching that Scifi space itch.

Kahoona

Just finished Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch...absolutely LOVED it and can't wait to start the third book of the series.
red-seas-under-red-skies.jpg

However, this comes out on Tuesday and I'm counting down the hours:
51RoBAb1oyL.jpg

Mr.Swag

Banned
"Night Film" is not what I expected at all so far.
I'm on a road trip, not driving, so I have been able to read about 60 percent of the book so far, and I thought it would be more of a horror mystery than what it actually is so far.
Good book, but it's not great.

Saphirax

"Night Film" is not what I expected at all so far.
I'm on a road trip, not driving, so I have been able to read about 60 percent of the book so far, and I thought it would be more of a horror mystery than what it actually is so far.
Good book, but it's not great.

I was thoroughly disappointed in Night Film. It started off interesting enough then it got dull. Near the end things picked up again and I found myself very interested in the plot. Then the ending happened..... No words to describe it - just ridiculous and...flat.

X-Frame

Currently reading and enjoying Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide #3), Part 3 of 5 of this Ultimate Edition.

www.behtarindoost.com-douglas-adams.jpg

Continuing on from the previous two books, it is rare that I read more than a few pages without laughing, and I have a constant smile on my face. This is already becoming a memorable series for me, and I can see it being one of my favorites and something I'd want to re-read many times.

Just started this book, though the whole cricket beginning was a bit confusing, probably because I spent the time tying to imagine a "pitch" as being the action of pitching a ball. But since I just googled it, a cricket pitch is the strip of field. I bet if I re-read that section, things would be much more clear, haha.

Seanspeed

Banned
Still making my way through Republic of Thieves. It's not... bad, but it feels so contrived and pointless. :( I feel like I'm just reading it out of obligation to The Lies of Locke Lamora.
And because I paid for it. :p
Reading this as well. About 70% through.

I kinda feel the same way. Its still fun, but it definitely doesn't have the same impact as before. I also feel like this is going to be much like the 2nd book, where everything gets wrapped up very quickly cuz it seems like its nowhere near a conclusion, but I'm closing in on the end.

I think I like the flashbacks more than the present stuff.

I'm basically just pacing myself to finish this for when I get Words of Radiance on Thursday.

Reading this as well. About 70% through.

I kinda feel the same way. Its still fun, but it definitely doesn't have the same impact as before. I also feel like this is going to be much like the 2nd book, where everything gets wrapped up very quickly cuz it seems like its nowhere near a conclusion, but I'm closing in on the end.

I think I like the flashbacks more than the present stuff.

I'm basically just pacing myself to finish this for when I get Words of Radiance on Thursday.

Hey! There you are. I was wondering how book 2 finished for you. Hoping I didn't taint the reading of it too much for you with my own dislike...

As for this one, I'm about 70% along as well, and I agree. It feels like a hammer is about to be dropped in a pool (about what I expect from the ending). I am liking it better than book 2, but it feels less a great scheme adventure (the fun from the first book) and more like the author has set up the gaudiest of backdrops to justify a couple hundred pages of Locke
pining for Sabetha
. I mean,
an endless supply of money? An army of lawyers, merchants, and powerful rich people all at their disposal? Even going so far as to have everyone in town's minds altered by the Presence in order to facilitate people accepting ever more ludicrous Locke and Jean antics...?
It's ridiculous. And to what end?
An election that is merely a diversion for over-powered (and conveniently powered) mages*?
There's definite fun to be had out of what I've read so far, but it feels like a waste of a cast of characters and setting the way the author has steered the ship these last two books. Ah, well. They're his to do with as he pleases, but I'm disappointed.

*I'd like to discuss more on this if you have gotten to a certain point/important follow up follow up meeting with
Patience

Anyway, we're on the same page in regards to liking the flashbacks better than the present day story line, too. At least that feels like they have to expend some effort and creativity to accomplish their goal. :(

I'm going to clean my brain out with Words of Radiance on Thurs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Still making my way through Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander"

It's sort of annoying how the main male character, Jamie, is pretty much perfect in every way imaginable. Like, he literally doesn't have a single flaw that I can think of. He's essentially a wish fulfillment character for all the straight female/gay male readers to swoon over. He's likable, but he's not at all interesting, you know? It's just not interesting to read about someone who is so <3 <3 dreamy <3 <3 and <3 <3 flawless <3 <3. He doesn't feel like a real person - he's not at all relatable - because no one who has ever lived at any point in human history has ever been as <3 <3 dreamy <3 <3 and <3 <3 manly <3 <3 and <3 <3 perfect <3 <3 as he is. I really wish the author had bothered to make him into a believable and/or realistic character instead of just a collection of the most masculine, dreamy, sexy, awesome traits possible.

Ark Royal by Christopher Nuttall

and

The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg

Both on my Kindle Paperwhite...which I love but miss the physical page turn buttons.

Malazan book 1 down. On to book 2. I love these characters and the delirious torrent of worldbuilding that they're submerged in.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
X-post from last month's thread:

How did you like the first two? I've been meaning to give the series a shot, but that's still a ways off. I want to read the latest Sanderson and finish the Black Company series first.

Liked them a lot. Easy and good reads.

Got the Red Knight in a sale a while back, need to get around to it. Anything you would compare it to?

Hmm, tough question. Haven't really given much thought to comparisons, but it's well written with interesting characters and story. Pretty dark if you like those type of things. Recommended.

Somax

Finished the Lies of Locke Lamora, started Red Seas under Red Skies.
Still at the beginning, but the new story is starting to grow on me.

The last part of the previous book felt very good, with all the moving parts falling in place and the rythm increasing quickly towards the end.

Ashes

Banned
The Purloined Letter, by Edgar Allan Poe. Which first appeared in the literary annual The Gift for 1845 (1844):
330px-The_purloined_letter_the_gift_1845_2.jpg

Jintor

I'm trying to read The Stranger Beside Me (re serial killer Ted Bundie) but to be honest I'm really not finding it very compelling. Perhaps some of it is that I lack the context and the author just basically assumes you know who Ted is and what he's done, and also I kind of don't really think it's what I was looking for in a true crime book anyway. I might shelve it for now and get started on this atom bomb book instead.

KingGondo

Banned
Haven't updated in this thread in a while:

Great stuff. Taking a break from the Caro LBJ bios for a change of pace.

Utterly engrossing stuff for anyone interested in 20th century America and its politics.

Brutally sad, but should be required reading for anyone with even a passing interest in the Civil Rights era. Sheriff Willis McCall lived up to the title of the book.

Continuing on with Transmetropolitan:
Ordered the last 3 trade paperback editions, and should finish it soon. Enjoying it immensely.

Probably gonna jump on the Sanderson bandwagon next. The Way of Kings sounds great, I just need to get over that initial fantasy/sci-fi hump when you're acclimating yourself to a new world.

ShaneB

Different strokes for different folks I guess, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk was a 1/5 for me. Did not like that at all, and pretty much skimmed through the last few pages just to finish it.

Will decide what to read next shortly. Maybe 'Beautiful Boy.." , but just reading the beginning felt heart wrenching, so that might have to wait.

has anyone ever read on the road

Bits and pieces, but I need to read the full story. It oddly feels like a book that's less concerned with the complete story and more concerned with completely knocking your socks off with the beautiful imagery.

Obligatory:

“the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”

“I woke up as the sun was reddening; and that was the one distinct time in my life, the strangest moment of all, when I didn't know who I was - I was far away from home, haunted and tired with travel, in a cheap hotel room I'd never seen, hearing the hiss of steam outside, and the creak of the old wood of the hotel, and footsteps upstairs, and all the sad sounds, and I looked at the cracked high ceiling and really didn't know who I was for about fifteen strange seconds. I wasn't scared; I was just somebody else, some stranger, and my whole life was a haunted life, the life of a ghost.”

Seanspeed

Banned
Hey! There you are. I was wondering how book 2 finished for you. Hoping I didn't taint the reading of it too much for you with my own dislike...

As for this one, I'm about 70% along as well, and I agree. It feels like a hammer is about to be dropped in a pool (about what I expect from the ending). I am liking it better than book 2, but it feels less a great scheme adventure (the fun from the first book) and more like the author has set up the gaudiest of backdrops to justify a couple hundred pages of Locke
pining for Sabetha
. I mean,
an endless supply of money? An army of lawyers, merchants, and powerful rich people all at their disposal? Even going so far as to have everyone in town's minds altered by the Presence in order to facilitate people accepting ever more ludicrous Locke and Jean antics...?
It's ridiculous. And to what end?
An election that is merely a diversion for over-powered (and conveniently powered) mages*?
There's definite fun to be had out of what I've read so far, but it feels like a waste of a cast of characters and setting the way the author has steered the ship these last two books. Ah, well. They're his to do with as he pleases, but I'm disappointed.

*I'd like to discuss more on this if you have gotten to a certain point/important follow up follow up meeting with
Patience

Anyway, we're on the same page in regards to liking the flashbacks better than the present day story line, too. At least that feels like they have to expend some effort and creativity to accomplish their goal. :(

I'm going to clean my brain out with Words of Radiance on Thurs.
Nah, you didn't ruin anything. Red Seas was still enjoyable, but I actually think it could have done with either an extra 200 pages or so, or a shortening of all the stuff in the beginning, much of it feeling entirely pointless, like
Jean's takeover of a gang
. The conclusion just felt way too rushed. There seems to be a strict length he's adhering to(~600 pages), but I don't get the sense he's really taken the time to plot out the pacing of what happens and just goes with the flow and then suddenly realizes there's only 200 pages left to conclude the damn story. And that's happening again with Republic.

Anyways!
I'm guessing you're talking about when Patience pops up and talks about how the rules aren't actually *strictly* being adhered to as promised? It didn't surprise me much, I suppose. You got some theory as to what's going on? Catch something I didn't? Cuz basically, I'm waiting for the *real* reason for all this election nonsense to be divulged at some point. There's no way its just as straightforward and boring as explained. Like you say, it seems a bit pointless and ridiculous. If that's all there is, it will disappoint me greatly. But I'm pretty sure there's more to it.

EDIT for next day: Ahhhhhh, I ok, I know what you're talking about now. Just read the part last night. Talk about
opening up a can of worms. This better go somewhere good, cuz its a massively 'WTF' sort of revelation.

Ashes

Banned
The Purloined Letter, by Edgar Allan Poe. Which first appeared in the literary annual The Gift for 1845 (1844)

Just read this. There's a recommendation at the end of the book. & I think I will now read the Murders in the Rue Morgue.

Bazza

Ended my book drought for the year, decided to read the dresden files, just finished Storm Front, I really enjoyed it, its just a shame one of the later books was spoiled in the intro to the short story in Dangerous Women. Even so going off the first book they will be entertaining enough even knowing whats going to happen.

SolKane

306399.jpg

Random choice at the book store, found in the WW2 section. I have to say, it's already captivating only just 100 pages in, some of these stories are simple but so poignant. Also featured a bit with Eugene Sledge, made me think I might need to pick up his book at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom