• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2013)

Just finished:
GB+rough+v3+5.jpg

About to finish:
MeTalkPrettyOneDayCover.JPG

Next up:
james_and_the_giant_peach.jpg

(never read it as a kid)

jacobs34

The long list is out for The National Book Award.

Here are the nominees in fiction:

• Tom Drury, Pacific (Grove Press)
  • Elizabeth Graver, The End of the Point (Harper/HarperCollinsPublishers)
  • Rachel Kushner, The Flamethrowers (Scribner/Simon & Schuster)
  • Jhumpa Lahiri, The Lowland (Alfred A. Knopf/Random House)
  • Anthony Marra, A Constellation of Vital Phenomena (Hogarth/Random House)
  • James McBride, The Good Lord Bird (Riverhead Books/Penguin Group USA)
  • Alice McDermott, Someone (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
  • Thomas Pynchon, Bleeding Edge (The Penguin Press/Penguin Group USA)
  • George Saunders, Tenth of December (Random House)
  • Joan Silber, Fools (W.W. Norton & Company)

I'm going to try to get around to most of these books by the end of the year, but I can tell you that I'm really pulling for George Saunders to win this prize, I think he's the greatest short story writer alive and that 10th of December is a fantastic book.

I believe my next three books are going to be:
Every Love Story is a Ghost Story by DT Maxx, actually won this book on Twitter. It's a biography of David Foster Wallace, perhaps my favorite writer of the last 30 years.
The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner
Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon.

The long list is out for The National Book Award.

I'm going to try to get around to most of these books by the end of the year, but I can tell you that I'm really pulling for George Saunders to win this prize, I think he's the greatest short story writer alive and that 10th of December is a fantastic book.

Love me some Saunders, but there's no chance in hell they'll give it to a story collection. Unless I'm wrong. Hell, now that I've said that, they've probably given it to collections before. Ignore me.

Quake1028

Looks like The Lies of Locke Lamora is 99 cents on kindle (and probably elsewhere) at the moment. Figure a lot already have it but hey.

Picked that up. Also picked up The Promise of Blood for $1.99 and Hell & Gone for $2.47. Freaking great bargain day.

FnordChan

Moving onto more Stephen King! Misery, then I think I'm gonna go for either Christine or It. Would anyone recommend one over the other?

I second the recommendation to read It before Christine. It is one of King's absolute best novels and is a solid kick in the teeth.

FnordChan, who is roughly 3/4 of the way through The Way of Kings

moojito

n2765.jpg

David Gemmell - Quest for lost heroes.

I love getting back to some Gemmell after I have on a run of bad/weird books. It's like settling into a comfy couch at the end of a busy day.

Leeness

Just picked that up too. Loved the Chaos Walking trilogy.

Yesssss Chaos Walking were some of my favourites in the last couple of years. Have you read A Monster Calls?

Both are good but "It" is better than Christine, by quite a bit.

Which to read really depends on your mood. "It" is probably King's most ambitious work outside of The Stand and the Dark Tower books, with a really large cast of characters, jumping around in time, and lots and lots of pages. Christine is a fun high school horror story, fairly dark in places, with some memorable creepy scenes and a neat premise.

I second the recommendation to read It before Christine. It is one of King's absolute best novels and is a solid kick in the teeth.

Thanks guys. I'll get It next then. Then Christine or the Stand or something. Haha.

Empty

i read this

a-good-school.jpg

it's by richard yates so it's not bad but i thought it was way too thin to be truly interesting. it's sort of a collection of character sketches about people in an american prep school getting on with their lives under a sense of doom with the outbreak of ww2 and the school closing down.

yates is effortlessly good at creating sympathy for pitiable characters and capturing the pain in simple things like, for example, asking someone to share a room with you next year, but there's so many characters and the book is so short i never got truly invested in it.

now i'm reading this

9780060913076.jpg

i've never read anything by pynchon so i didn't know what to expect but i'm finding the absurdist sense of humour amazing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I read that shit in high school.

Others didn't like it but I thought it was great.

Karakand

I'm about 120 pages into Anna Karenina, I want to like it but the goddamn end notes which were, initially, simply there to explain certain references Tolstoy makes that the reader wouldn't get otherwise, have begun to take the liberty of randomly and egregiously spoiling major plot points for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if I want to go on reading it or start another book :/

If you're going to let optional materials prevent you from reading about a mega-hunk like Count Vronksy, I don't know what to tell you.

e: Here's some OG shit, keep a pen and paper with you--which you should already have present since you're reading Russian literature which vomits out characters with 3 names + diminutives like I did after playing beer pong with tequila in college--and write down things you don't understand, then Google them when you're done and enjoy spoiler-free grokking.

Leeness

Loooooool loving the Misery audiobook. The woman reading it is great. Her acting on Annie is kind of hilarious an horrifying at the same time. Perfect.

ShaneB

My reading pace has certainly slowed down since I've been caught up in Football, but I just finished The Door Into Summer. I liked it, but just thought the pacing was off mainly.

Now to decide what's next, I'll probably pick something short again as well..

I'm about 120 pages into Anna Karenina, I want to like it but the goddamn end notes which were, initially, simply there to explain certain references Tolstoy makes that the reader wouldn't get otherwise, have begun to take the liberty of randomly and egregiously spoiling major plot points for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if I want to go on reading it or start another book :/

Huh, I didn't have end notes in mine and read it fine. Skip the notes?

Yesssss Chaos Walking were some of my favourites in the last couple of years. Have you read A Monster Calls?

Not yet. How is it?

My reading pace has certainly slowed down since I've been caught up in Football, but I just finished The Door Into Summer. I liked it, but just thought the pacing was off mainly.

Now to decide what's next, I'll probably pick something short again as well..

I thought it was OK, kinda got a pedo vibe from the main character haha

ShaneB

I thought it was OK, kinda got a pedo vibe from the main character haha

Haha, I guess I can understand that, but
I never thought that myself, when he reveals his plan while talking to her, that moment of realizing he saw the ledger and that they were married, he was just putting the plan in motion, which I thought was really lovely, and how emotional she got knowing she'd miss him for so long, all while Pete was there too.

Haha, I guess I can understand that, but
I never thought that myself, when he reveals his plan while talking to her, that moment of realizing he saw the ledger and that they were married, he was just putting the plan in motion, which I thought was really lovely, and how emotional she got knowing she'd miss him for so long, all while Pete was there too.

Pete was awesome lol

Epcott

The Shining

In preparation for Doctor Sleep.

Only saw bits and pieces as well as the ending to the Kubrick film, and watched the 2002 miniseries remake, so most of whats going on isn't a surprise. Still good though. Love the way he writes this book.

KmA

Oh my god. Oh. My. God.

I just finished The Name of the Wind. Holy Shiitake Mushrooms it was good. I take that back. I've read a lot of fantasy over the past month. I finished the Night Angel Trilogy, started the The First Law. But none of them made me feel whatever I am feeling right now (probably euphoria). It is hard to describe what made it so exceptional. I've been waiting for a book like this and I finally found it. I'm so happy it hurts. On to the next book.

virgin_suicides.jpg

It's well-written and has some great figurative language. But it's taking me a while to finish it because there's hardly any dialogue throughout the entire thing. That's something I usually really look forward to reading.

krrrt

Don't even think about giving up, just skip the notes.

And read war & peace after.

Oh my god. Oh. My. God.

I just finished The Name of the Wind. Holy Shiitake Mushrooms it was good. I take that back. I've read a lot of fantasy over the past month. I finished the Night Angel Trilogy, started the The First Law. But none of them made me feel whatever I am feeling right now (probably euphoria). It is hard to describe what made it so exceptional. I've been waiting for a book like this and I finally found it. I'm so happy it hurts. On to the next book.
Name of the Wind is great. Wise Man's Fear is good.

Neither of them come close to The First Law trilogy (for me at least).

Haly

And Corgis are stupid looking

That's why they're so lovable.

But really, the Kingkiller Chronicles is a very flawed work even by fantasy standards. There's nothing wrong with enjoying it but I think it's important to a reader's growth to understand the pitfalls writers sometimes (or oftentimes) make, even if you have no intention of being a writer yourself.

I liked Ready Player One, but that shit was amateurish.

Piecake

But really, the Kingkiller Chronicles is a very flawed work even by fantasy standards. There's nothing wrong with enjoying it but I think it's important to a reader's growth to understand the pitfalls writers sometimes (or oftentimes) make, even if you have no intention of being a writer yourself.

For many adults, reading fiction is simply a form of entertainment. Different people are entertained by different things. Therefore, I think its pretty foolish to talk about a reader's growth in that context because he might not give two shits about that. He reads to be entertained, and if the novel entertains him, great.

If you find dissecting novels fun and recognizing well-written and well-crafted works with interesting ideas fun as well, then great. Thats entertaining to you and growth in that context makes sense because there is something you want to improve upon. the other reader? What the hell is there to improve? He reads for entertainment and all you are doing is shitting on his parade by telling him that his book sucks.

Haly

Well, for one, when you passively consume a subgenre that is as loaded with eurocentrism and misogyny as fantasy without making some effort to identify the various forms in which they appear, that affects your worldview in subtle but not insignificant ways.

There's a reason why the "boys club" mentality exists in gaming/fantasy circles, and it's because the entertainment these circles consume is self reinforcing. It requires conscious effort to not fall into the same line of thinking.

Dec

Could not care less about any of the shit that dude nagged about. Since he references nothing past the first few chapters I'm going to assume he didn't even read the book before writing that.

I consider a book good when I am entertained by it. The same with movies, I can't remember the last movie I watched that wasn't light hearted/fun.

Piecake

Well, for one, when you passively consume a subgenre that is as loaded with eurocentrism and misogyny as fantasy without making some effort to identify the various forms in which they appear, that affects your worldview in subtle but not insignificant ways.

There's a reason why the "boys club" mentality exists in gaming/fantasy circles, and it's because the entertainment these circles consume is self reinforcing. It requires conscious effort to not fall into the same line of thinking.

Youre assuming too much. Just because someone doesnt think critically about literature doesnt mean they don't think critically about politics, social issues, science, non-stupid looking dogs, whatever.

Reading for most is a time when they relax. They spend their mental energy on other topics that are more important to them. Claiming that that will turn them more, even if its only slightly more, misogynistic and narrow-minded seems pretty ridiculous to me when you don't know anything else about the person.

Haly

Don't really want to shit up the thread with this so I'll bow out.

Protome

Actually just finished Thief of Time, i wasn't to sure about the Susan Character in the first book but she has grown on me now.

If i had to pick my favorite books they would be the Rincewind or City Watch books.

Little bit disappointed The Last Hero that is a Rincewind, Wizards and City Watch story is sort of a comic rather than a regular book, cant get it on Kindle so i have to wait a few days for delivery although a little break is probably needed, got through half the Discworld books in about 6-7 weeks.

The Rincewind books were my favourite growing up, but I find it hard to go back to Colour Of Magic/Light Fantastic/Sourcery now. Eric/Interesting Times/The Last Continent are still fantastic reads however. The City Watch are always good <3 Angua.

The Last Hero is a fantastic book, it's not really a comic or anything it just has a lot of illustrations throughout. I have the hardback edition and it's absolutely gorgeous (the story is really funny too.)

Jintor

I don't understand what people see in Name of the Wind, but whatever. I felt no impetus to continue with the series at all.

Hmm... I feel like I should re-read Game Over after I finish off this Terkle book, then start on Lolita.

Nymerio

I finished "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making" yesterday. I don't think this was the right book for me. I can tell that it is really good and I liked it very much but I couldn't read a page without my mind wandering off to other things. It never really hooked me the way books usually do, so that I'm completely immersed in the book. It's a pity really, because I loved the characters and everything about it, it just never really gripped me. Could just be that it wasn't the right book at that time, I'll give it a bit of time and will give the sequels a chance at another time.

I'll be going on a two week vacation on sunday, so I won't be reading anything till than and assemble a list of stuff to read. Can't wait to read the newest Garrett PI novel!

Drake

sl_redseasu.jpg

I read the Lies of Locke Lamora about a year ago (which I loved), but I never got around to reading book 2. With Republic of Thieves coming out in a couple of weeks I figured it was time to get caught up.

I have about 40 pages left so I'll finish it today. The excessive use of french in the earlier parts of the books was a bit annoying and at one particular part the narrative did drag on for a couple of pages in which Nabokov explains the details of their journey in a terribly dry manner.

But on the whole, the story is excellent, the character development is second to none, and although the prose can get a bit tedious at times, it reads like a dream most of the time.

Genuinely excited to see how this ends.

FL4TW4V3

As I'm on my week off (late summer vacation) I did a bit of reading on the beach (my favourite place to read).

Finished reading

X11EFag.jpg

As a huge Blade Runner fan I was really late reading this book. Quite different from the movie and I didn't really love the spiritual aspect of the story, but still I pretty much loved this book.

DDAagq0.jpg

I was really looking forward to reading this book but I was disappointed. I thought the subject matter would be really interesting but I was wrong. Maybe it's just the way the book was written but I found it boring.

Started reading

po028yS.jpg

Bazza

The Rincewind books were my favourite growing up, but I find it hard to go back to Colour Of Magic/Light Fantastic/Sourcery now. Eric/Interesting Times/The Last Continent are still fantastic reads however. The City Watch are always good <3 Angua.

The Last Hero is a fantastic book, it's not really a comic or anything it just has a lot of illustrations throughout. I have the hardback edition and it's absolutely gorgeous (the story is really funny too.)

Should have been clearer :D I have no problems with a comic/illustration book its just the waiting I hate, I've got used to finishing off a book and having the next ready to go off the kindle store in minutes, waiting 2 days for a book is something im not used to these days :p

Akahige

Finished The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll , I liked it then it got really fucking weird and I loved it.

Now Reading:
pSymz3a.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Taking a break from the Mistborn series to read:

the-way-of-kings-by-brandon-sanderson.png
Came here to talk about this. Just finished it. Had a 300 page marathon as I got close to the end of this huge book. It was just too good to put down and I absolutely needed to know what happened next. I love the characters so much. And the world Sanderson created is wonderful. Its extremely interesting and very mysterious, leaving lots of details left in the air for explaining later. Also has some very surprising philosophical moments that made me think. Lots of authors attempt this, but very few accomplish it in the way this did.

Big spoiler!:

The part where Kaladin and crew go to Dalinar's rescue, with Dalinar fighting through the Parshendi ranks and finally breaking through to see the bridgemen fighting and declaring it the most glorious thing he had ever seen actually swelled a tear or three in my eyes. :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The part where Kaladin and crew go to Dalinar's rescue, with Dalinar fighting through the Parshendi ranks and finally breaking through to see the bridgemen fighting and declaring it the most glorious thing he had ever seen actually swelled a tear or three in my eyes. :)

Yes. That's all I can say. Yes. It's such a "FUCK YEAH!!" moment. Can't wait for the next book in the series.

And the world Sanderson created is wonderful. Its extremely interesting and very mysterious, leaving lots of details left in the air for explaining later.

That's actually one of my big bitches about a series like this. I don't want to have to marathon a series each time a new book comes out so I can pick up references in Book 1 that the author finally bothered to explain in Book 7. Just build the world. Meh - one man's mystery is another man's annoyance, I guess.

-NeoTB1-

Big spoiler!:

Definitely. I was grinning from ear to ear. Such a great book. One of my favorites from recent memory.

I just started reading this:

13569581.jpg

I picked it up on a whim. I'm really liking it so far. I was afraid it would be a little too generic based on the title, but it seems my fears were for naught. I hope it continues to impress!

Piecake

Definitely. I was grinning from ear to ear. Such a great book. One of my favorites from recent memory.

I just started reading this:

13569581.jpg

I picked it up on a whim. I'm really liking it so far. I was afraid it would be a little too generic based on the title, but it seems my fears were for naught. I hope it continues to impress!

I thought that book was fantastic. You made a good choice.

And yea, WoK is awesome. Easily Sanderson's best

Top Bottom