• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Your Opinion of The Last of Us Part II Focusing on Joel & Ellie?

Xe4

Banned
Now that The Last of Us Part II is confirmed and will be focusing on Joel and Ellie, and the hype has died down a bit since yesterday, I am wondering what GAF's reaction to the focus on Joel and Ellie is.

Before the announcement, the reaction to a potential TLOU sequel seemed to be mixed (see here & here), particularly with regards to it focusing on Joel and Ellie once again. I am wondering on the opinions now, particularly the evolution of the opinion since the announcement.

I wish the sequel was focused on completely new characters, or at least just on Ellie, instead of the pair again. I still have complete faith in Naughty Dog to give me a good game and story, I'm just disappointed on the retread, particularly coming off of the amazing ending of the first. Ideally
what went down in the hospital
won't be discussed, because no matter how well it will play out, it will be a disappointment compared to how we imagined it.

But that's just my opinion. What do you think?

Feel free to lock if old or w/e, mods.

jmaine_ph

I love it. Feel the story and relationship between Joel, Ellie and The Fireflies has so much more to tell.

I love it. Feel the story and relationship between Joel, Ellie and The Fireflies has so much more to tell.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I wanna see more of these characters, so I was pleased with yesterday's announcement.

Also I hope Bill has a part somehow in TLOU2.

I'm just curious what the conflict is for the next part.

Is it fighting against the Fireflies? It seems Ellie is out to get them.

I wonder what the motivation is. Possibly that Fireflies kept chasing them after the end game for her brain. Who knows.

Have these guys ever heard of a spinal tap though? Game world broken amirite?

My bet is that Ellie and Joel settled in that town at the end of the last game and then the Fireflies attacked it.

It disappoints me. I wished Joel and Elie's story was left in the first game. This series could have been an anthology one, of which every entry tells a different story with different characters. But by having the second game be a continuation of the first one, it sets the tone for the entire franchise. It will be harder for the franchise to transition to different characters now, as the fans will have the expectation that The Last of Us is Joel and Elie's story.

1upsuper

I think Ellie and Joel are what made the game. I honestly didn't find the world compelling enough on its own to warrant exploring it through other characters.

Trust the direction of ND, especially after Neil reiterates that they wouldn't tell more stories if they felt it wasn't worthwhile.

Living up to TLOU is almost impossible, but I don't think ND would be going this route if they didn't feel they have something better. And that's both in regards to gameplay, narrative, and allowing the actors to further flesh out these characters.

The naysayers kept saying it's perfect, do more stories in the same world. I don't think you can just pop up great deep characters like Joel and Ellie every time you want. I agree with more stories in the world, but they have to center on those two, even if they aren't always together.

Tohsaka

I don't think it really needed a sequel, at least not starring them again. I'll still play it though since I enjoy everything ND has made so far.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Right thing to do. Honestly they're such great characters. 1 game isn't enough. Theres more story to tell so tel it

My opinion is that it's great. I love both Joel and Ellie as characters. They work well together, and the notion that it'd somehow be impossible to tell another compelling story with the both of them rings very untrue to me.

But most of all, my opinion is that we should just let Naughty Dog do Naughty Dog.

Also, I think this really weird public consciousness desire to not have a sequel to the original game is a perfect demonstration of how vocal minorities work, because for all intents and purposes, the reception to the sequel has been nigh-on all positive.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's the safe, boring move. I should've expected it, this being Naughty Dog and all.

I trust the people that made the fantastic first game to make the right choice about where to focus the sequel. Who am I or anybody else to know better?

LostDonkey

I won't be picking it up. I'm sure it will be good but it didn't need a sequel for me. It was perfect ending where it did.

I'll leave it that way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My opinion is that regardless of what I think may or may not be more interesting, I trust ND to do what they want to do and tell the stories they want to tell

zsynqx

I think there was no point in making a sequel unless it focused on them. If we're being honest, the world of TLOU isn't particularly unique or interesting and probably didn't warrant further exploration through different eyes. The heart of the game was Joel/Ellie, so a sequel without them didn't make much sense.

With the being said, I did feel the first game ended perfectly so I am slightly anxious about how they will handle it, but I have faith in Neil and ND to do a great job.

For me the series wouldn't be what it is without them.

Yeah, this.

PrimeTime

Joel and Ellie's relationship was The Last of Us and what made it great. It's clear ND has more story to tell regarding this relationship. I doubt Joel will be the only morally compromised antagonist by the end of this sequel.

eXistor

I'm sure the game'll be good, but I would have been fine with just TLOU. Not everything needs a sequel. But the Quest for More Money will always be a thing.

- J - D -

It'll be interesting to see what message ND will try to convey with this continuation of Joel and Ellie's journey that they haven't already covered in the masterpiece that was the first game. Either it will be worthy or it won't be. I don't envy ND the gargantuan burden of expectation laid upon their shoulders.

I'm wary only because the first game tied off well enough and a direct sequel limits them to these established characters. Not against them using them but just think naughty dog has made it harder on themselves to use these characters for a second time. Good luck to them.

cordy

Banned
Love it. Deserved to be them.

If you played as a Firefly or someone in another town or something like that? Nah, it wouldn't feel the same to me. What made the first game amazing was these two characters. If you replace them then yeah, it would work because of the world and ND but I fell in love with the game because of these two characters. It wouldn't be right to play a Last of Us without them (or Ellie's future kid or something if she has one idk).

I love it. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. Seeing their relationship evolve as they grow older is pretty much all I want out of a TLOU sequel.

Grisby

I think it's fine. They're both great characters. However, this does beg the question if a part 3 will again focus on Ellie or Joel, since I feel like they've now established a trilogy that cannot exist without one or the other.

Before the announcement I was thinking how cool it would have been to follow a new survivor, maybe with another AI buddy like a dog.

I'm disappointed, but if I get to blow more fireflies away then I am in.

I wish we would have a post-apocalyptic game set outside of the US. ND could've broken some ground by setting it in the UK or something. That's just me getting my hopes up.

I'm an Ellie fan, though, and Uncharted 4 was fantastic so I can have some hopes for this.

Nzyme32

Why not. The narrative isn't even remotely clear enough to judge it, and all we know of the prior game and its narrative still leaves a lot of potential.

No problems

sjay1994

I was against Joel and Ellie again, but I feel like the fact the game is called Part II kinda sold me on it. It feels like Kill Bill, which I am all for.

Baalzebup

Well, TLOU is all about Ellie and Joel, so if there is to be a part 2, it should definitely feature them. I watched the panel from PSX and I trust Druckmann saying that they know what they are doing.

It didn't need a sequel, but since it is being made, I believe it will be a worthy one.

wapplew

Gutsy move.
For me, TLOU is not about the setting or the world, so I'm not interested if they telling different story within that world with new cast.
Ellie and Joe are TLOU, I'm happy for anything as long as these two are in it.
Trust ND 100% will do them justice.

Print_Dog

Wouldn't want it any other way. The Last of Us is my favorite video game narrative, and I love that it can properly continue. Maybe they'll ruin it, but there is huge potential here and that's what I'm excited for.

robotrock

Banned
Severely disappointed. I'm not sure I have faith with ND to make a story with these characters again that doesn't feel contrived after Uncharted 4.

I hope it works out.

Top Bottom