• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Your Opinion of The Last of Us Part II Focusing on Joel & Ellie?

CGwizz

I wanted to play with a more old Ellie, i got what i wanted, Joel is probably dead and this is a revenge story, its even more clear after that post conference talk they had.

Fireflies killed Joel and Ellie will fuck them up. Bruce you done fucked up and made it so obvious...

I was disappointed at first.

I was hoping they would branch out for other characters and maybe come back to Ellie and Joel in the future. A game focusing on Ellie's mother would have really cool. Then that could have segued into a nice trilogy perhaps.

Nevertheless I'm really excited.

sjay1994

It disappoints me. I wished Joel and Elie's story was left in the first game. This series could have been an anthology one, of which every entry tells a different story with different characters. But by having the second game be a continuation of the first one, it sets the tone for the entire franchise. It will be harder for the franchise to transition to different characters now, as the fans will have the expectation that The Last of Us is Joel and Elie's story.

Well, if you watched the Panel they had at PSX, Drukmann even says "The Last of Us is Joel and Ellie's story" and he did try other characters, but it didn't feel right to him.

So if there is another game after this one, it will most likely follow Joel and Ellie again.

I'm completely OK with it. The first worked incredibly well as a self-contained story, but it's open enough to be followed up upon. Both characters still gave a lot of directions they can move towards and especially with the first game's ending there's a lot they can do with the character dynamics.

I love both characters, so I'm glad to be seeing more of them. ND wouldn't be making this if they didn't believe they could make good on it, and they know what's best for their creation far more than any random on the internet does.

eizarus

Banned
I'm glad that Ellie is the main character in this one. It just wouldn't feel right to have her as the secondary character in it.

I'm ok with Joel being in it, but I expected him to be dead. Still super excited about it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It should have been about David or David like character hunting down tourists just to keep your town of haggard survivors alive, children and men alike. Talk about a moral quandry. Let people starve, suffer and die or worse with the other people and infected in the world or do horrible things to give them a chance at life. Obviously the first game touches on these things but in a very different manner and with a different focus considering who Joel and Ellie are and what their goal is.

Tratorn

My opinion is that everyone who is worried about that should watch the TLOU2 PSX panel.
They wouldn't make a sequel with them if they wouldn't have good ideas for that.

I really liked where they left it in the original, and so I would have preferred a new cast. At least for the moment. But hopefully they'll pull off a great sequel, I'll definitely be playing.

Vinc

TLOU isn't about the world, it's about Joel and Ellie, so it's perfect. I can't wait.

They couldn't have done it any other way.

Fruitster

I like both characters so pretty pleased. The dynamic of Ellie being the lead this time is what I was hoping for if we got a sequel.

Henkka

Banned
I'm only surprised that Joel is still around. Never liked the idea of focusing entirely on new characters.

Sure, TLOU didn't need a sequel. But it getting a sequel doesn't mean it still isn't a near-perfect stand.alone title. TLOU Part II could be the most disappointing game ever, it doesn't diminish the first one.

TheYanger

It seems odd just because the first game's story was so perfectly capped off, but as long as the story is good here (and there's no reason it wouldn't be) it should be fine. Sight unseen I'd rather it be something else, but we have no reason to believe it'll be bad either so whatevs.

sphinx

the piano man
It should have been about David.

Hell now, David is the shittiest of all secondary characters.

Nolan received the worst character to put voice on,

I'd rather take a game starring anyone else, Bill, Tess, Marlene, Tommy, Henry/Sam, hell even Sara or Robert. Basically everyone before I want to see anything about David. .

Ricky_R

Always wanted more of them, but I'm a bit disappointed that we won't get much Joel, if at all.

Joel was such an amazing character and controlling him was a blast.

Zyrox

I'm fine with it. I saw TLoU as a tale about the relationship (and development thereof) between these two characters in particular.
You could almost say that, you know, Joel and Ellie really are The Last of Us. And thus the sequel focusing on these two again is completely fine by me.

Xe4

Banned
TLOU isn't about the world, it's about Joel and Ellie, so it's perfect. I can't wait.

They couldn't have done it any other way.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. After all, Joel and Ellie didn't exist until TLOU, there's no explicit reason the sequel couldn't focus on new characters that were just as good. I think mostly, Druckmann found the best sequel he could tell was going to be about Joel and Ellie. I hope it turns out wonderfully, but it wasn't really necessary given the ending.

: )

Steroyd

The ending to TLOU was perfect but ND have enough goodwill and a hot streak of good to great games that I'll be cautiously optimistic that they won't fuck up what they did with the first game and it's ending.

I can't imagine a TLoU woth anyone else but Joel and Ellie, I am completely invested in them. I feel there is still a lot of story to tell between these two and if others don't they can simply not play it. Besides, if ND somehow fucks up this game it doesn't magically ruin the original.

Ricky_R

Is that confirmed? I know Ellie is the main character but I figured Joel would still be tagging along.

You mean tagging along like Ellie was in TLOU? I don't see it. I can't imagine Druckmann just switching characters like that. I'm betting Joel will be mostly absent. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Honestly i lost all interest when they showed ellie singing, just went back on my phone. Its not even that i disliked them in the first one, i enjoyed em both. However once the game finished, i felt done with both of em. I didnt even want a sequel but if they insisted on ,aking one the omly way to get me on board would be with a brand new cast. Same issue i have with walking dead season 3, i was really digging the trailer with the hispanic family and was like YES! Then they lost me when clem came in at he end. Like i knew clem would be in it anyway but i was hoping it would be as a secondary character or a smaller role.

Back to tlou2 tho, maybe ill pick it up wh it hits the bargin bin.

Gorillaz

A waste but I've gotten over it. So much they can do in that world with different characters instead of box themselves in again for Ellie and Joel part 2 5 years later, well see tho. Never got this whole "IT ISN'T THE LAST OF US WITHOUT THEM" feeling. They are 1 story of many in that world.

I think Rockstar might really be one of the only devs to make sequels and start the narrative over from scratch each time without skip. Impressive now that I think about it.

hydruxo

It disappoints me. I wished Joel and Elie's story was left in the first game. This series could have been an anthology one, of which every entry tells a different story with different characters. But by having the second game be a continuation of the first one, it sets the tone for the entire franchise. It will be harder for the franchise to transition to different characters now, as the fans will have the expectation that The Last of Us is Joel and Elie's story.

For all we know this could be the last game in the franchise. They could just be wrapping up the story with a 'part two' and that's it.

daTRUballin

I still don't understand why people are so upset about Joel and Ellie being in the sequel. It wouldn't be the same without them. I would've been very disappointed if they weren't in it.

Well honestly, I didn't really want another Last of Us. I mean, I love the first, it was amazing. One of my favorite games. I just feel that the story was perfect being left how it ended. I feel as though continuing Joel and Ellie's story only ruins the impact of the ending to the first game.

I mean, that said though, I love ND, and I trust them to make another great story following Joel and Ellie, but this is just one of the times where I really felt that and sequel was not needed but we got one anyway. I'm almost definitely going to be getting it day 1 still though.

I am really excited for this. By calling it Part II it tells me that this isn't a sequel persé but rather a continuation of their story. Obviously how you feel about this continuation will have a lot to do with how you felt about the first game and it's ending.

I like how the first one explored the depths of humanity and this one seems to take that further. I can't wait to guide Ellie on her quest for revenge!

Perfect.

Why create such strong characters in the first game and not take a chance to show growth over time in the next?

I'm also glad that this solidifies them as PlayStation mascots.

For me the series wouldn't be what it is without them.

This period. TLOU is Joel and Ellie...it isn't the walking dead. I just don't think the game was intended to be the world of The Last Of Us and all the people this world affected more than it was intended to be a story about 2 people and their depency on each other in this messed up world. And it is through them that we understand their situation and their relationship which tells this story.

By creating new characters..I just feels like it waters down what made the first one so special.

Trago

I want to see Joel get his ass handed to him for lying. I'm excited as heck. Ellie should kill him.

120v

never particularly cared for the "world building" of TLOU as opposed to the relationship between joel and ellie (among the other characters). just saw it as a backdrop and nothing else

though assuming these games will eventually round out as a trilogy i wouldn't mind a new cast for a fourth game

Top Bottom