• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most hyped game of all time?

Necrovex

This may be strange to some but Xenosaga 3, and it delivered so hard. I was so enthralled with its story and characters. Plus the trailers filled me with so much hype.

MGS4 comes second and I loved every single second of it.

mxgt

Banned
Fallout 4, which is coincidentally my biggest disappointment of all time too.
Mass Effect 2+3
Half Life 2, and the episodes.

Of all time which includes my youth as a child then probably Pokemon silver. Was worth convincing my mum to preorder which she has never bothered with before. Recently probably bloodborne, mgs v, Nier Automata and persona 5 with the only meh reception being mgs v and rest being good enough.

dosh

Probably Portal 2. If only because the ARG leading to the release was such an incredibly crazy ride. And then I played the game in one sitting and loved every second of it.

mokeyjoe

Probably Ocarina of Time. Never known anything quite like that.

Needless to say, no game can live up to that amount of anticipation. But I came round to it after a while.

m00h

Banned
Doom 3 and Half-Life 2

Doom 3 was a big disappointment. Got bored to death after 2 hours in and it didn't get any better. Completing the game was a big pain.

Half-Life 2 lived up to my expectations. Never been so hyped for any other game since then. Half-Life 3 may change that
lol

Chaozfly

Neo Member
World of Warcraft
I read all the previews and got into the beta for the last two days thanks to a friend who brought me the client on a DVD because we had a data cap of some GB.
Oh boy, it delivered. I was so amazed by the huge world that lay before me to explore and to be part of it and that I have loved since Warcraft III.
Some weeks later two friends started and I had the gaming years of my live.

Gothic III
I love the first two games + expansion. I was so excited and preordered my first and only Collector's Edition.
And oh man, the developers overestimated their skills and had not enough time. The world was too large and buggy as hell (e.g. after 5 mins my game started to daycycle 10 days a sec). And their was literally no story (find Xardas, hi Xardas, the end, wtf).

Diablo III
I avoided being hyped until this. And it only it only happened in the last weeks before the release. I drove to the next city to get the game a day earlier since I thought my copies wouldn't arrive for the release. The game was ok, but couldn't keep the expectations and had major design flaws. Nevertheless, I played a lot hours, bought the expansion and played a lot more hours. Well, they patched and developed the game in the right way.

Witcher III
No hype, just excitement, since I'm burned since Gothic III and Diablo III. The first witcher game was ok, but I never completed it. I didn't play the second game for a long time, before borrowing from a friend (who had played my Witcher game and then bought the second one). I loved it and got really excited for the third part. And it delivered.

Gabriel Knight 3

It was 1999, my favourite game ever was GK2, and I spent all my internet time on the Sierra boards. The first times I did not have internet at home so I went to an internet point to search for news, screens and previews

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Halo 2/3
Half-Life 2
Doom 3
Mass Effect 1/2/3
Modern Warfare 2
Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim
Majoras Mask
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Turok 2/3
MGS2 and IV

All of these hit absolute bonkers levels of hype for me.

Yu Furealdo

Killzone 2

Wasn't a huge fan of the first, but the trailer and eventual real-time gameplay sold me on it. It just looked that good and unlike anything I'd seen before.

Lusankya

P5

Almost one week left :)
Same here, I am super hyped for Persona 5 ever since we saw the first reveal teaser. And I am waiting for it for 9 years now...

For a game already released I was really hyped for Zero Escape 3 - Zero Time Dilemma, especially because we all thought it would never be developed at all.
Compared to the huge hype it was disappointing, but I still enjoyed it very much.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Kingdom Hearts II
Final Fantasy XIII
The Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Brawl

Loved KHII and TWW (even if the Triforce quest sucked). TP was good, but not as great as I hoped. Brawl was good, but Melee was better, so I just kept playing that. FFXIII just gets more disappointing the more I think about it.

Saints Row The Third

It retained almost none of the depth, features, and detail from Saints Row 2 and was set in a horrible open-world. The game might as well have been linear.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
Lords of the Realm III- Loved hell to this day still enjoy 2 but I was utterly crestfallen by how terrible this game was. I wondered what the hell happened, I remembered it had been delayed but this went beyond. Much later I learned about the shakeup at Impressions and it was clear to me that a lot of the talent had fled the studio.

Witcher 3- Took me several tries to get into the first game of the series but once I did I was hooked on all forms. The books and second game only increased my hype. Was pretty nervous how ambitious the project was though. I vacillated between, "Wow this all sounds amazing" to "Please don't screw this up". CDPR delivered, graphics not quite matching the initial showing notwithstanding.

Overwatch- Just looked colorful and fun with all sorts of Blizzard polish. Met most of my hype. I do daydream about how fun a single player campaign could've been with characters they created.

Brhoom

Banned
Resident Evil 5: Didn't deliver
Resident Evil 7: Delivered and then some
Resident Evil Revelations: Delivered
Silent Hill Shattered Memories: Delivered

DemWalls

The Witcher 2, absolutely. Built a 1600€ PC for it. Obviously, it was disappointing, but that's on me. I don't know what I expected.

Second would be Lords of the Fallen. Maybe it wasn't really hype, more like extreme curiosity to see what they would come up with, especially after that spectacular first artwork.

Zelda Ocarina of time.
Nintendo had these promotapes set up all over the stores back then where you could see ingame action and it blew me away. I couldnt believe it.

Metal Gear Solid 2
Oh Kojima...ohhhh Kojima!!

GTA San Andreas
How could this fail after 3 and Vice City?

Lastly Final Fantasy 13
The trailer and music made my brain spin. Broke my heart when I finally played it.

Justinh

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader for me.

I was totally excited for the Gamecube, and I loved the first game. I remember I started paying for IGN Insider around that time (I think for a printed magazine, it was pretty good terlet reading) and just watching and rewatching the 640x480 (I think) "high" resolution videos of the game over and over again.

I actually was able to buy a copy somewhere before launch. I can't remember where, but it was just a regular-ass store, nothing shady.
Since I didn't have a console yet (I couldn't get one until like the 2nd or 3rd day after launch iIRC) I'd just reread the manual over and over and stare at the disc and box. I was so excited.

Turns out, I loved the game. I was not let down. It was exactly what I wanted I guess, which was more rogue squadron with much better graphics. If it turned out like Rebel Strike though, things might've been different.

I'll go by year of release (why?) My GOTY?:
2009: Uncharted 2 (E3 Showcase and MP Beta)
2010: Black Ops (COD Hype)
2011: Uncharted 3 & inFamous 2 (Sequel Hype)
2012: Black Ops 2 (Sequel Hype)
2013: The Last of Us (ND Hype)
2014: Left Behind (Post TLOU Hype) & DA Inquisition (DA Hype)
2015: Witcher 3 & Metal Gears Solid V & Fallout 4 & Hotline Miami 2 & Batman Arkham Knight (Sequel Hype)
2016: Uncharted 4 & The Last Guardian & Final Fantasy XV (Long waited Sequel Hype)
2017: Persona 5 & Zelda BOTW (Long waited Sequel Hype & Launch Switch Hype)

I feel like anticipated and hyped are different things for me.

Hyped is Gears of War 2 or Skyrim, I loved both, but in hindsight they are just 'good'

My most anticipated game is also my most disappointing: Fallout 4.

Final Fantasy VII.

Time, place, age... every element contributed. It was also a time when the internet was building up, you'd hunt for .WAV files of songs, and every rumor would go unchecked. GameFan was constantly waving the hyperbole flag of 'this could be the greatest game EVER', Sakaguchi was having interviews everywhere from game magazines to TIME. It was crazy.

No other video game will ever feel as 'important' as that did at the time for me- and the hype was intense from Spring '96 all the way until release in early September '97.

The game delivered... and believe it or not I'm one of the people that really wants the Remake to be a totally new & different experience. Nothing will ever be FFVII for me again... and I'm ok with that. :}

Not a common one, but Command & Conquer 3. I was a huge fan of Red Alert, and (to a lesser extent) Tiberian Sun, and the game looked really amazing when they announced it. Eventually wound up importing a copy and going through the campaign in a few days (which for me wasn't very common back then) before spending hours and hours watching replays and playing skirmishes. First ever game I played online, too, and one of my favorite games ever. A lot of happy memories in that game.

Yoshi's Island - as good as anticipated
FFX - as good as anticipated
Oblivion - garbage
Persona 4 - excellent but I think I liked P3 better.
Persona 5 - we'll see

Zakkath

The Last of Us. I was hooked from the first trailer. Then, I played it at PAX and saw how good it was. I could't wait to play the game. It beat all my expectations.

AaronB

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - delivered and then some

2nd most-hyped was Xenoblade Chronicles X - delivered for the most part

Prior to those, I can't think of a game that was teased so far in advance that seemed so great. We were anticipating those for over 2 years.

CD'S BAR

Pokemon Gold/Silver.

Consumed every nugget of info and piece of media I could for that game. The best part was it lived up to every bit of hype.

Top Bottom