• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most hyped game of all time?

Super Smash Bros. Brawl remains the only game I've ever actually lined up at midnight for.

The hype was also real for BioShock Infinite, though I preloaded that on Steam.

Last year I was pretty fucking hyped for XCOM 2 but I ended up refunding it because it ran so terribly.

Shmuppers

I'm not sure if this counts but Persona 5. I've watched that first trailer that dropped about a year ago every single day since.

bryt

I was pretty damn hyped for Wrath of the Lich King. Recently it's Persona 5. I'm even taking a 1 week vacation from work to play this game lol.

hampig

Smash bros Brawl. I looked into the game every day, talked about it on boards, stayed up for Smash Dojo updates. Miss having that little drip of info to look forward to.

I was pretty damn hyped for Wrath of the Lich King. Recently it's Persona 5. I'm even taking a 1 week vacation from work to play this game lol.

Same, have a week off starting the 11th.

Abounder

Banned
Star Wars The Old Republic. Love the franchise and Star Wars Galaxies, and was willing to look past the clayface models and no sandbox...but anyone that played on Ilum knows what a piece of junk that turned out to be

Nameless

Probably Oblivion all things considered. Morrowind is one of my all time favorite games and Oblivion was mind-melting when it was revealed. It was the main reason I opted for a 360 over a PS3.

MGS2, RE2, FFVII-IX and every GTA post III are in the conversation as well.

Manzoon

Banned
Probably Super Mario 64. Being a kid and playing that demo in Toys R Us for the first time was mind blowing. If it wasn't for that demo station I would say Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Mortal Kombat 2 SNES
Donkey Kong Country
Killer Instinct SNES
Mario 64
Killer Instinct Gold

Of all of them, probably a toss between MK2 and KI.

Actually Killer Instinct wins now that I remember. That arcade footage at the end of the Nintendo Power DKC VHS promo tape was just pure hype.

pablito

Probably FFXV
sadly.
I don't think I anticipated any piece of entertainment as closely for 10 years.

Close runners up FFX, Persona 5, Cyberpunk 2077

Weebos

Banned
Either Mass Effect 3 or Fire Emblem: Awakening for me. Both were initially disappointing but I grew to love them.

jennetics

In recent memory, Final Fantasy XV. Met most of my expectations, though it was no where near perfect.

New most hyped game, Final Fantasy VII Remake. That game looks all sorts of badass, and I can't wait!

Super Mario Bros 3. At the time, all I did was play, watch, draw, and talk about Mario. I called Toys R Us every day for weeks asking if they finally got the game in. And when they finally did, I had my mom drive out there super late at night to pick it up. I also remember it being a school night, which meant that I could not play the game until I got home from school the following day. Torture!

XNarte

I can't remember if Halo 2 or 3 was more hyped in my eyes, but definitely one of those two. Halo 2 had me sooooo amped up after years of replaying campaign in co-op and Halo LAN Party weekends.

Halo 3 with its marketing was unreal for me though and "Finish the Fight" was not just a cool tagline, but the cliffhanger ending of 2 made it a necessity.

I midnight released those (and 4, which was also hyped, but nowhere near as high as 2 & 3). Very fond memories.

Probably Red Dead Redemption. As someone who always loved GTA, the history around the wild west and holds the good the bad the ugly as one of the best movies ever this game was made for me.

Gears of War 2

I have never been so hyped for a game ever. I read every interview I could get my hands on, every preview. So super pumped.

Then the game came out and they changed my dark and grim war story into a comic book joke...
I still enjoyed the game (horde mode especially) but the whole Lambent and Sire thing kinda made me give up on caring about the story.

Uncharted 3 was a really huge one for me. Did not live up to expectations. I'm still annoyed by the holes and problems in that game, though they seem like small potatoes when compared to how bad Uncharted 4 turned out to be.

Devil May Cry 3 is an example of a really intense hype that actually managed to deliver, though.

Currently, my hype rocket is blasting off to the galaxy of The Evil Within 2, and this is like some next-level shit for me. Any new rumor or leak that comes out actually elicits a visceral emotional reaction in me. I've never been emotionally invested in the existence of a game before. It's weird.

Rembrandt

Banned
GTA V.

I actually had a dream about the multiplayer for a brief minute around the time the trailer launched.

Still disappointed by it.

Uncharted 4 was my 2nd most hyped game but I ended up massively disappointed.

But Persona 5 is my most hyped game and it looks like it'll deliver.

The Witcher 3 and the game ended up blowing away my expectations. One of the best games I played this generation.

I've massively hyped for Persona 5. I'm a HUGE fan of Persona 3 and 4. I even got the Take Your Heart edition preordered.

I took a week off of classes when Titanfall released, then two weeks later spent the entirety of my spring break playing it instead of going to Punta Cana for free.

So, Titanfall.

Palmer_v1

Halo 1, probably, which lived up to the hype.

Only other ones that came close are probably:

SOCOM 2 - Lived up to the hype
Mario Sunshine - Definitely did not live up to the hype.

Cloud7

Games hyped me a lot as a kid but not in the same sense that they do today. Now that I'm self-aware, I understand hype more. So I'm going to break it down into two different games because my awareness of hype was different as a kid and adult:

Kid: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for Nintendo GameCube.

I wanted a GameCube for Christmas so bad back in the day. I loved Sonic Adventure 1 on my Dreamcast. I wanted 2 for DC but there were no copies left in my small hometown after the Dreamcast was canceled. When I finally got my GC and the game, I was PSYCHED. I loved playing every minute of that game. It lived up to my personal kid hype. This kind of hype was fun because I didn't analyze the game or anything of the sort. I just popped the disc in and played.

Adult hype: Final Fantasy XV

Final Fantasy XIII is a close second. Listen guys, as an adult, no game has hyped me more than Final Fantasy Versus XIII. I love Nomura's crazy vision and I loved the art direction this game was going into. Yakuza meets Romeo and Juliet with a splice of Final Fantasy? Hell yeah. Sign me up. That FF XV E3 2013 trailer was still the best trailer I've ever watched in my life. Pure adrenaline and hype. I waited forever for this game. Did it live up to my hype? Absolutely not. In fact, I'd say it would be impossible regardless of what happened with the development. It's still a good game though. I'm glad I got to play it.

Future hype: Final Fantasy VII Remake

No doubt, this is the most hypest experience of my gaming life. I craved this. I need this. I have to have this. I'm with Nomura all the way as long as he doesn't add all the BS from the Compilation. Action? Fine. Multiple games? Fine. Just give it to me. I need it. I've never been more happy to see a video game trailer in my entire life than the E3 2015 trailer. Phenomenal. The hype is barely containable. Don't count me in as one of those people who complain about the backgrounds being too brown or any of that crap I see around the Internet sometimes. I'm all in, baby. I cannot wait.

Monkey Island 2 - didnt have a PC at the time, so it was quite a wait (3 years or so). Played the first on on Atari ST and had MI2 ordered and was waiting for it in the post for 3 months before Special Reserve confirmed it was cancelled.

Mojoraisin

Yeah, I remember playing that beach demo back in high school. I had a lot of fun with it and I wanna say I played it with friends? I dunno, I definitely remember talking about it with friends. I don't think I ever played the full game though.

Sonic 2... When I was a kid I had a dream once where I won some contest or something was about to get Sonic 2 and right before it reached my hands after it arrived my Ma woke me up for school. I was so mad at her, lol. As if like if I got it in my dream I would have it in real life too. Man, that was like... almost 25 years ago? Kinda weird that I remember that but yeah, that's how mad I was.

Sonic did that to everyone at the time. Blast processing and all that. ;)
You missed out on RTCW full game. Epic slaughter and objective based team play. Would play today with updated graphics and physics.

graffix13

There are a bunch but probably Mortal Kombat for the home consoles. Had a SNES so bought the SNES version but eventually bought a Genesis for the blood and gore version.

Mortal Monday. I remember it well.

Metal Gear Solid 2. At that time it didn't really live up to whatever hype I had because I thought the storytelling was some poorly paced nonsense.

Malus

Smash Bros Brawl like some people said already. The updates really added fuel to the hype train. And unlike many gaffers I still adore that game. 4 was a disappointment by comparison.

Man when they revealed the reorchestrated Melee Menu theme on the Dojo...I was floored.

Setzer

Final Fantasy 3(6) for SNES.

I'm showing my age here but back in the day, a couple of screenshots in a magazine were all we had to build hype.

When it finally dropped, I had to drive 2 hours to get it. I played it for almost 24 hours straight (pausing only to go to my dishwashing job). I was dizzy with exhaustion by the time I finally called it a night.

Such a fantastic game.

I'm with you on this one. Almost had to make the same length of drive you did to get it. Remember paying $79.99 + tax at Toys R Us for it. Best $80 I ever spent on a game. From the time I got home I played it until 4am the next day...so about 13 straight hours. I ended up calling in sick to work lol. It's one thing to be super hyped for something but for the game to also live up to that hype made the wait totally worth it.

Top Bottom