• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most hyped game of all time?

Servbot24

Banned
Mega Man X Command Mission.

My two favorite games of all time were MMX and Legends. I saw some screenshots of CM in a magazine and thought it was going to be Legends gameplay in the X universe. I was hyped out of my goddamn mind and thought I was literally going to get the best possible game of all time.

I had never even heard of a turn-based game before. When I started playing and the screen first cut to a battle scene I was horribly confused and devastated.

Turned out to be a pretty decent game in the end though.

Kneefoil

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I did like it when it came out, but it did not live up to my expectations and it taught me to be a bit more cynical and a lot more restrained about video game hype.

Hazzuh

Twilight Princess. I still remember getting the e3 trailer on a CD with one of the UK Nintendo magazines, I watched that trailer so many times. I gathered every single scrap of information about the game and spent ages arguing about things like where it would fit in the timeline etc. The game was...ok, I'd give it an 8.8

Jaymageck

Probably Zero Time Dilemma.

The hype for that is fresh in my mind though. I was also very hyped for Mass Effect 3, Metroid Zero Mission, Super Mario Galaxy, Sonic Generations, Sonic Rush, Final Fantasy VII, Twilight Princess, Metroid Other M, Resident Evil 4, San Andreas and probably countless others.
For those games though, although I remember watching the clock, I'm not sure how painful the wait was.

ZTD's wait was painful. VLR setup one of the most complex (lol) and engaging stories in gaming...and then the conclusion was indefinitely postponed. When it was finally breathed life years later, immense relief washed over me but it suddenly made the wait a real focus for me. I wanted to know more every day.

The end product pleased me more than most people, but it would've been hard to ever satisfy my and many people's hype.

Jamaro85

When Mass Effect was in development and I had a couple of friends following every step of that I was following every step of Too Human (IGN and SK discussion board as I didn't know about NeoGAF). Not sure I need to say how that turned out. Meanwhile ME went on to be perhaps one of my top five games of all time.

I'm actually embarrassed to admit that and wonder how Too Human news went on here before it became clear that it was going to be a mess.

There hasn't been a more hyped game than when I was in my late teens. The year was 1997.

headersaus0.jpg

And it was actually good.

Tekken 7.

Been hyping myself up for over two years now, watching vids and playing older Tekkens to get ready and trying to go out to events to play a few games in whatever preview build they have available.

Still hyped. It should be good.

Other games worth mentioning are Guilty Gear Xrd (Didn't really deliver, liked it well enough but that's all), SF5 (Gigantic disappointment, to the point where i will be wary of any Capcom product in the foreseeable future) and Dark Souls 3 (Pretty much delivered, had a great time with that game).

All fairly recent. I didn't get too hyped about games pre-release when i was younger. Perhaps because due to a lack of funds i wouldn't ever be buying them day one anyway.

Each souls games I am pretty insane, i go full media blackout, so the thought of exploring these worlds becomes so exciting as release nears.
-Dark souls 2 was fine , it was exciting / long journey the first time. The first two dlcs were great,but the last was a massive disappointment
-Bloodborne really managed to hit the highs of dS1, but was just abit too short
-DS3 whilst a really great game, was more like demon souls in level design and didn't really live up to my expectations. I also played in JP the first few times , which of course massively effected the way I perceived that game.

MGSV. It honestly killed me inside a bit and definitely brought out the cynical side of me.

That game was fucking trash. Every time I look at my name I'm reminded of the note mgs went out on.

joecanada

san andreas

Yup because I thought of the concept before I even heard of it .

Gta3 was great but the protagonist not speaking and a few small things I thought could be improved.

Vice city - perfection. After this my friend and I thought wow they could do every era and have a bona fide hit . First era we thought of - 90s with gangster rap, Boyz n the hood style. And yep they delivered. Could have used better fast travel early on.

After that gta4 was big disappointment because the other eras we had dreamed never came about ...

Al Capone style 30s
50s bopper style
70s

All better concepts than 4 I thought lol .

Menitta

Brawl, Pokemon Platinum. Both lived up to my expectations. At the time I liked Brawl way more than Melee because I didn't understand fighting games. Now it's just the greatest Nintendo story ever.

Goldboy

Probably Resident Evil 5.

Hype for Resident Evil 5's release completely ruled my life back in 2008/9. Resident Evil 4 was my favorite game of all time and I was completely obsessed. The day RE5 came out, I went to my friend's house immediately after school and we co-oped the whole thing in two days.

I have a lot of nostalgia for that period of my life, and for Resident Evil 5 in general.

foppy79

Smash 4 was insane.
Mega Man and Mewtwo were the only times I've ever gone "Oh my god" out loud at a trailer.
And it kept delivering somehow after release.

Astral Dog

Only pure hype? Twilight Princess,Resident Evil 5 and Bayonetta 2

Only one of those games even came close to fill half of my hype.
Hint is the safest one

Fallout New Vegas. I kept checking the Fallout wiki for news every day and I skipped class the day it came out. Probably my most played game ever.

FLAguy954

Final Fantasy XIII. Despite the sub-par delivery in the story telling, Square Enix fucking delivered.

A honorable mention is Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube. It absolutely smashed my expectations and ended up being one of the best games ever to me.

CronoShot

Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg

The only game I've ever taken a vacation day from work in order to play it.

And I'm one of the few who actually did enjoy it. It's not the greatest Metroid game by any means, but I had a good time with it.

Cracklox

In recent times maybe Witcher 3. Didn't disappoint

Bloodborne was one I tried to keep my hype contained and kept a pretty good blackout after the initial reveal. That was up until the day before release, when reviews dropped and they were glowing, and containing info I didn't know about. I got pretty hype right then. I had organized a few days off work to get stuck into it, and that night I was like a kid trying to sleep on christmas eve, not being able to sleep and excitedly thinking about what was in store for the next day.

Didn't disappoint either

Fanuilos

Twilight Princess probably. I wasn't able to buy a Wii and had to wait weeks for the Gamecube version. I remember the morning I ran to Walmart before school and they finally had it. Called my mom and asked her if I could skip school, she said yes, thanks mom! Upon initially ending it I wasn't very positive on the story but thought the dungeons were great.

The only other games that have come close are probably Mass Effect 3 and Breath of the Wild.

AmyS

Mine was Twilight Princess also.

That moment that you knew it was Link as he raised his sword on horseback.

(excuse the poor quality screen capture)

5w7LWyR.jpg

THAT was Hype.

Nier Automata.

Sequel to one of my favourite games and being made by Platinum. It was an actual dream that came to reality. And so far it's delivering.

Top Bottom