• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with these Kingdom Hearts numbers?!

Erekiddo

To be honest, I've only recently realised that 2.8 doesn't contain all the content from 2.5.
It would make sense: 2.5 + 0.2 BbS FP + 0.1 (χ?)

rs_500x214-150415095549-Rq7GML4.gif

Gator86

I'll buy KH3 on day one and play it for its art design, game play, music, final fantasy fanservice and Disney worlds. But I've long since made my peace that I won't know what the fuck will be going down with its nonesensical story. Fuck trying to follow this series.

Basically. Everyone loves Disney and the last two were incredibly fun to play. The story is just a blazing dumpster fire that doesn't nothing but confuse nearly everyone. As even this topics shows, even gaffers who have played multiple games in the series and are vastly more informed than the general public can barely figure out what the fuck is happening.

The games sell because they're fun Disney mash-ups, not because of the incohe anime bullshit.

Basically. Everyone loves Disney and the last two were incredibly fun to play. The story is just a blazing dumpster fire that doesn't nothing but confuse nearly everyone. As even this topics shows, even gaffers who have played multiple games in the series and are vastly more informed than the general public can barely figure out what the fuck is happening.

The games sell because they're fun Disney mash-ups, not because of the incohe anime bullshit.
You sound overly angry don't tell people what they're buying these games for. The Disney stuff took a backseat tremendously after 2(some will say after 1) so no thats not the only reason these games sell millions

Here, have this graph:

I've been a long time fan of kingdom hearts and square in general but this^ shows how fucked the company has gotten in the past 10 years.back in 2006 it was 1-2-Chains
and that was it now we have to use a graph to explain this.hopefully they get their shit together with XV.

RibMan

Guide to Kingdom Hearts ports

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix has:

- The remastered Kingdom Hearts from the PS2 except with the content that was exclusive to the rerelease Japan had
- The remastered Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories which came out on the PS2, a game that takes place directly after the first Kingdom Hearts and is a remake of a GBA game
- Remastered and new cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, these are from a DS game. THIS IS JUST CUTSCENES.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix:

- The remastered Kingdom Hearts 2 from the PS2 except with the content that was exclusive to the rerelease Japan had
- The remeastered Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep from the PSP, except with the content that was exclusive to the rerelease Japan had
- Remastered and new cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts Re: coded, these are from a DS game. THIS IS JUST CUTSCENES.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue:

- The remastered Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance which was originally on the 3DS.
- A small game that was developed just as a sort of demo for Kingdom Hearts 3, called Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep 0.2 A Fragmentary Passage
- Cutscenes based off the phone game Kingdom Hearts X

Excellent post. Thanks!

Kaisos

It really isn't that hard. Buy the 1.5+2.5 collection, buy 2.8, look up the -release order- of the original titles they contain, play them in that order. You can now fully appreciate KH3.

What's hard is comprehending the plot of these games...

Rob2K19

Of course it had to be someone who hasn't followed the games in a "while." Lol

I see certain people don't know that Nomura moved BBS from 0 to 0.1 when he decided to backpedal on not going further into the past, which is X(the new 0).

KH 1.5 is Kingdom Hearts 1 with relevant extra game and video
KH 2.5 is Kingdom Hearts 2 with relevant extra game and video
KH 2.8 is a prequel to 3.0

Gator86

You sound overly angry don't tell people what they're buying these games for. The Disney stuff took a backseat tremendously after 2(some will say after 1) so no thats not the only reason these games sell millions

Oh yeah, I'm incoherently angry about Square's naming habits and poor writing. Like most people, I would guess, I'm just shaking my head and laughing at the goofiness of all this. I'm sorry you were offended by me suggesting that people don't buy Kingdom Hearts games for the plot. I'm sure an RPG like this would sell just as many copies without any of the Disney components.

I don't know, people on the internet tend to make things worse then they actually are. People here seem to be doing this. Following KH's story is not that hard lol.
When everyone is saying it and only a few are denying it don't you stop and ask yourself "maybe not everyone is wrong. Maybe I'm wrong".

KH has a mess of a story that's a) difficult to follow and b) (mostly) bad. The second point is more of an opinion but the first one is as factual as the sky being blue.

Oh yeah, I'm incoherently angry about Square's naming habits and poor writing. Like most people, I would guess, I'm just shaking my head and laughing at the goofiness of all this. I'm sorry you were offended by me suggesting that people don't buy Kingdom Hearts games for the plot. I'm sure an RPG like this would sell just as many copies without any of the Disney components.

You can safely add me to the pile of people that's not going to buy KH3 for its story. I'm buying it despite its plot. Not because of its plot.

People say the games have hard to follow stories but here we are having a hard time getting around the names.

Oh yeah and the title for 358/2 is especially stupid.

It really isn't that hard. Buy the 1.5+2.5 collection, buy 2.8, look up the -release order- of the original titles they contain, play them in that order. You can now fully appreciate KH3.

Quoting another post because it fits and is very useful:

Yes, the numbers are fucking confusing. I'll try to help people new to the series. So if you're playing it for the first time I recommend going for the release date order. Like this:

1st - Kingdom Hearts I (KH I.5)
2nd - Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories (KH I.5)
3rd - Kingdom Hearts II (KH II.5)
4th - Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days (KH I.5)
5th - Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (KH II.5)
6th - Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (KH II.5)
7th - Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (KH II.8)
8th and 9th - Kingdom Hearts 0.2 and Kingdom Hearts Unchained X (KH II.8)

People say the games have hard to follow stories but here we are having a hard time getting around the names.

Oh yeah and the title for 358/2 is especially stupid.
And then you have the issue of how is an uninitiated supposed to even pronounce that title.

Three five eight divided by two?
Three hundred fifty eight divided by two?
Three hundred fifty eight by two?
Three five eight by two?
Three hundred fifty eight over two?
Three five eight slash two?

Regardless it just rolls out of your tongue doesn't it?
It doesn't

Again, Roman numerals are only used for the logos. When typing out the titles, only Arabic numerals are used..

Jesus. Square even manages to make how you type the names confusing!

SugarDave

Thank you for making this thread. I was recently trying to figure out which ones I need to get if I want to play the KH series and couldn't seem to get a concrete answer as to what is what.

Jigorath

Banned
I can't wait for the full Kingdom Hearts Collection of the entire franchise, which will of course be titled Kingdom Hearts 9.VIII The End is now the Beginning is now the End.

pswii60

I've never been so confused. I'm glad the OP posted this thread, because I was wondering the same myself but was too afraid to ask on here :)

So.. 1.5+2.5+2.8. How that makes sense I haven't a clue. Is SE intent on appealing only to the 'in crowd' who understands this shit? I mean, it's Disney. They should be making this far more simple and appealing to the wider market and welcoming newcomers alike.

I've never been so confused. I'm glad the OP posted this thread, because I was wondering the same myself but was too afraid to ask on here :)

So.. 1.5+2.5+2.8. How that makes sense I haven't a clue. Is SE intent on appealing only to the 'in crowd' who understands this shit? I mean, it's Disney. They should be making this far more simple and appealing to the wider market and welcoming newcomers alike.
You don't understand how numbers clearly going up in order makes sense?

I'm going to give this compilations a chance because why not, but one of the reasons I refused to play those games was that by the time I could've played the first there where half a dozen games with weird numbers that confused me so much I actually decided the series weren't worth my time.

It doesn't help that on gaming communities like GAF I've read all the nonsense that the story actually is.

There's just one other series that I know has a crazy story that begs for the police to intervene to stop devs for coming up with more nonsense, and that is Blazblue.

Wait that is a real thing. What is up with companies in the early to mid 2000's having decimal numbering for things.

This is how Live Free or Die Hard was called in most countries:

Die.Hard.4.0.DVD.Cover.jpg

IT WASN'T EVEN NEEDED, IT WAS JUST A DIE HARD 4. But, well, that time it was all about computers, so I guess they'd decided to stick a minor version number to it.

That's sad. Just play the games in release order, done. This isn't rocket science.

People are lazy af. I mean, you got 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 all coming to PS4. Seems perfectly logical.

Or yeah, play them in order of release, wikipedia has it.

Lol at people arguing it's too much time to search for the order of the games, basically 5 seconds on google. If you get confused by that, wow.

(Not talking about the story of the games, that's another thing though it's still not that complex as people make it out to be).

Erekiddo

You don't understand how numbers clearly going up in order makes sense?

ITT: Us Vs. Them.

It's not as easy as starting with the lowest number and going up. I was more interested in what the games contain. There have been a ton of scattershot names across multiple consoles over the course of the last 15 years. Common sense tells me to start with 1.5 --> 2.5, but I didn't even know about 2.8 until this thread.

If it were as easy explained as starting with the lowest number and going forward, why did this thread expand to 4 pages within a few hours?

Anyone defending their ridiculous naming conventions is either in denial or trolling. Appreciate those who chimed in. I'll be picking up both collections come Jan.

You can like its naming conventions all you want but anyone honestly trying to argue how the Kingdom Hearts series isn't a confusing mess is being disingenuous.

And it's not jus about three compilations with three numbers with decimal numbers. As a casual KH fan i constantly see shit like KH 0.2, and KH 358/2, KH Re:CoM or KH Unchained X. Add to that how they've dragged out the story for 15 goddamn years, which in it on itself has its own massive problems when trying to make sense of it, and you have a very very confused audience.

I'm a diehard gamer who GAFs daily and has played KH1, and 2 on PS2 and I don't know what the fuck's going on anymore. What are the chances that other less invested would-be fans who dont dwell on gaming forums everyday will buy these compilations or KH3?

Theres a lot to love about KH. Maybe even its titles. But let's be real and drop the pretenses. Do not defend this series saying they're not confusing or say they're easy to follow. As true as water is wet it is not.

I rest my case.

If you are interested on the franchise or the story, or the games at all, you can spend 5 minutes on the internet finding about the spin-offs and the order they were released.

It's not like the original title is gone, or do you get confused with The Legend of Zelda games too? those are a lot, and always a different subtitle, and yet no one shits on it.

Oh no wait, Nomura here used numbers! oh no! (even easier, follow the sequence)

And also, 358 over 2 days is explained on the game, and what is it about it's clear as day. It's not rocket science or quantum physics.

Be careful when looking for release dates too. You'll probably find that the Remake of Chain Of Memories (which is included in I.5) came out after the original KH II was released, however you actually need to play the Remake first because the original Chain Of Memories came out before the original KH II.

Xliskin

Millions of people, sure. Cause they keep selling.

If one had actually kept up with the story then they would not be confused(mostly).

Its not even a lot of people who have been playing the games complaining but those who obviously skipped everything and(or never played them to begin with) are now complaining they don't understand.

I understand its way more convoluted than it needs to be, but its kind of also the fault of those people who have not played the games as well.

I have played 1.5 and 2.5 and still confused lol

Kjellson

I was googling around earlier for the exact same thing as this thread is about. I also have only played the first KH game.

I can't wait for the PS4 collection so I can catch up with this shit, lol.

Puruzi

Banned
People are lazy af. I mean, you got 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 all coming to PS4. Seems perfectly logical.

Or yeah, play them in order of release, wikipedia has it.

Lol at people arguing it's too much time to search for the order of the games, basically 5 seconds on google. If you get confused by that, wow.

(Not talking about the story of the games, that's another thing though it's still not that complex as people make it out to be).

This whole post, thank you.

Guide to Kingdom Hearts ports

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix has:

- The remastered Kingdom Hearts from the PS2 except with the content that was exclusive to the rerelease Japan had
- The remastered Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories which came out on the PS2, a game that takes place directly after the first Kingdom Hearts and is a remake of a GBA game
- Remastered and new cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, these are from a DS game. THIS IS JUST CUTSCENES.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix:

- The remastered Kingdom Hearts 2 from the PS2 except with the content that was exclusive to the rerelease Japan had
- The remeastered Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep from the PSP, except with the content that was exclusive to the rerelease Japan had
- Remastered and new cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts Re: coded, these are from a DS game. THIS IS JUST CUTSCENES.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue:

- The remastered Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance which was originally on the 3DS.
- A small game that was developed just as a sort of demo for Kingdom Hearts 3, called Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep 0.2 A Fragmentary Passage
- Cutscenes based off the phone game Kingdom Hearts X

Thank you so much, Red

Top Bottom