• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Did You Realise Your Favourite Game Was Something Special?

DNAbro

Persona 4 Golden: Saying happy New Year to everyone and getting incredibly sad because I was getting closer to the end.

In Persona 4, when the game first opens up so that you can explore the first dungeon and do social links/life sim stuff and suddenly I kind of understood what the game was. I was so excited about every part of the game and realized this was going to be so much better than I thought it would be.

jonjonaug

Majora's Mask: The ending of the Anju and Kafei quest, followed by starting the next loop and seeing Kafei walk down the stairs from his hideout and placing his letter to Anju in the mailbox again.

Planescape Torment: The "longing" orb.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately never as I don't have a favourite game.

Almost immediately.

I was 13 or so when Final Fantasy Chronicles was released on PS1. Saw it in the store and picked it up, because I was at that age where I was gobbling up everything named Final Fantasy.

But anyway, I got it home and thought I'd pop in a game called Chrono Trigger first. I had never heard of it, but decided to try it first since I had already played FFIV on SNES years earlier. I don't even think it took 5 minutes before I knew I was playing something special. Few hours later, I knew I was playing something on an entirely different level than anything I had played before. I think the precise moment was when you accidentally discover the Lavos video in 2300AD and decide to save the future from the past. Got me super pumped.

I've since played it through several times, and enjoy it just as much as the first every time.

Persona 4 for the PS2:
When I felt sad about going back home in the end.

This too. What a feeling that was when the game ended, just kind of sitting there thinking back over everything that happened and how attached you got to the characters. Also
Nanako's apparent death scene
, damn that got me misty.

BratmanDu

Deus Ex, when Manderly told me to stay out of the ladies room. HOW DID HE KNOW???

I'd just got a gaming capable pc, and hadn't heard word 1 about the game, bought it in Woolworths (RIP) based solely on box blurb.

Apathy

Definitely my go to move now, thanks zidane.

FF:T is my favourite game of am time, about halfway through I realized it was special. The combat from the start was a radical departure from what I had known a final fantasy genre to be, but halfway through you see how deep the combat can get but what really did it for me was the story and it really was the seed that made me see video games as a medium for amazing story telling and getting deep character building that I still love today.

Playing Ocarina of Time and I couldn't stop smiling.

It was like being in an advert for a video game. In these ads, the person playing has a huge fake smile on while playing. Usually when some one is enjoying a game it does not really show on their face. For OOT, I was smiling like an idiot, I was enjoying it so much.

Elitist1945

If a game is special, I will sit through the credits. Both to think about the game I just played, and to owe the people who worked on the game my attention.

EDIT: Something more specific and relevant - I realized TLOU was special when I displayed emotions towards the characters.

I knew the Mass Effect series was really special when I started playing. But when I got towards the end and saw the Citadel I knew that the stakes were so high and I was at the center of it in a way most games don't make you feel.

tumblr_m6nx7nJvG11qg5kymo1_r1_500.gif

h0tp0ck3t

Deus Ex - Liberty Island

Paul: I can give you a Sniper Rifle, a mini crossbow if you want to be stealthy, or a rocket launcher

Azull

After beating Nier and playing the New game+. God damn them feels man. Haven't felt that shit since I was a kid playing Zelda on N64.

Pinky

Banned
ALttP: When Link first leaves his house and makes his way to the castle at night in the pouring rain.

Super Mario Galaxy: When you first take control of Mario and run around the star festival.

Resident Evil 4: When you first enter the village. The game makes it very clear at this point that it isn't fucking around.

Dragons Dogma: Fly into FREEEEEEEE! That intro song sealed the deal and told me the game was going to be awesome. And awesome it was.

Battalion wars: Your're in the middle of a firefight then you hear one of the soldier say "Is that a monkey? Did anyone else see the monkey?"

Stalker call of pripyat: Experiencing the world of stalker and it's AI is just incredible. The world is alive. Animals hunt in packs, people eat, sleep, play guitar or harmonica.

Go out to "work " early in the morning. Some search for artifacts, others fight mutants. They run for cover when an emission approaches. Open world done right. Oh and CHIKI BRIKI.

Picked up Dark Souls from a buy 2 get 1 free from TRU. Played it until I got to FireLink. Didn't know exactly where to go (didn't see the stairs) and the game was terrible at explaining mechanics, so I gave up. Early the next year I saw EnB's lets play of it and watched the first couple of parts. Figured out whats going on. Beat Bell Gargoyles and the game clicked. Loved it ever sense.

BumRush

When I used Suplex on the Phantom Train in FFVI...and it worked.

fake edit: I knew before that moment that the game was incredible

Sez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8umInWiJQ0c

hqdefault.jpg

When I did the SS Route 11 endurance race on Gran Turismo. The track, the controls, the road feel, the music, everything was so perfect I could play 60 minutes of the same track and loving each second.

Funny thing: When I first played GT I though it was "f**cking trash" and "im never going to play that". Hahaha.

EDIT: I really miss that track ='(.

mdzapeer

For Suikoden II, when the intro kicks off with a false flag op and you get the sweet sepia tone flashback cinematic, w/ the somber Reminiscence piano tune, at its conclusion.

I knew I was going to be in for one hell of a ride if they kicked it off with that theme.

Edit: Here's a copy of the video with 'OK' audio. The only videos I can find this morning are of this part in colour, which you wouldn't stumble upon naturally.

I am gonna add first Luca village burning scene. DIE PIG!

Cess007

Shadow of the Colossus: Gaius, it was the first Colossus that left me awe-struck and i knew the game would be incredible right then. Then, Avion came, and i know i was playing a master piece.

Persona 4 Golden: When i notice i've been playing a RPG for like 2hrs, haven even had a fight yet and i was still hooked.

Pokemon Red: When i watched my Metapod evolve into Butterfly fist pokemon. Back then, it was a "Oh shit!" moment for me.

Caode

I started playing MGS3 last night for the first time. I'm only a few hours in, but if that Bond film title sequence is anything to go by it's shaping up to be one of my all time favourites.

I wish I could play it for the first time all over again, truly one of the greatest games ever made.

egocrata

Banned
Kerbal Space Program - first time to get to orbit. The sights, the music, the feeling of accomplishment. All there. The first Mun landing was even more awesome.

Transport Tycoon Deluxe - putting together a complex railroad interlocking to see if it works... and it does.

Street Fighter II - HADUKEN.

Kubiubo

Some of my favorite moments include the moment in Symphony of the Night when
you break the spell on Richter, revealing the Inverted Castle.
or Diablo II when
you touch the Cairn stones and lightning crashes down to open the portal to Tristram.

One I can remember vividly is playing Shadow of the Colossus, I believe it's the 5th Colossi, the one that is basically a bird that flies around over the ruins in the water. That moment when he comes swooping toward you and you grab onto his wing and get taken up into the air with him, that was mind-blowing for me. I'll never forget that moment, one of the most impressive and Awe-inducing moments for me in a game ever.

Earthbound: When you find that guy selling a beach house with a "ocean view". It costs a ridiculous amount, so being a kid, of course I went and grinded fighting lower enemies getting little little money each time. I bought that "beach house" for a ridiculous sum of money, only to find out walking inside it is missing a wall, is run down, and had nothing to offer aside from being a "haha fooled you, lesson learned" thing. Great stuff.

Nothing to offer? Did you even check the dresser?

For me, it's the same game, but it's when you get to Happy Happy Village. It went from being a kind of quirky game to being downright weird and I loved it.

Damerman

When i met djikstra in witcher 3.

Looping "who am i really" on the ipod in mgs4 while playing the game. It makes me wish i could delve deeper into the fiction. I want to know solid snake more, i want to know raiden and rosemary more, i want to know merryl more and i want to know how solidus went from being a mercenary to being POTUS. I want to know more about frank jeager and Naomi hunter.

Now my phat ps3 is broken and my mgs4 copy is useless. I hope it gets released on PC one day.

Cess007

One I can remember vividly is playing Shadow of the Colossus, I believe it's the 5th Colossi, the one that is basically a bird that flies around over the ruins in the water. That moment when he comes swooping toward you and you grab onto his wing and get taken up into the air with him, that was mind-blowing for me. I'll never forget that moment, one of the most impressive and Awe-inducing moments for me in a game ever.

Avion, yes, that's the 5th colossi. When the music kicks-in, it's magical

Fighting Phalanx is just increible in SotC.
Honestly with the soundtrack playing riding on agro then jumping on to the wing was amazing.

IceIpor

Hard to describe, but I'm sure it was Fire Emblem 4.

I loved how characters had unique skills, weapons, background stories and a bloodline system. Even better when they had a 2nd generation in the same game.

Something about the beautiful (for its time) battle animations helped greatly as well.

Muffdraul

MGS1. When Snake is rescuing the ArmsTech president, he informs him that he tried to rescue the DARPA chief, but he died of a heart attack. This greatly upsets the AT pres. and he shouts "No, that can't be!" and starts whacking Snake on the leg with his cane. And you can feel the whacks via the Dualshock controller. In 1998, that little detail totally put the zap on my head. O_O

Top Bottom