• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When the Left Turns on Its Own (NYT Opinion)

Kinyou

No, but students were publicized because this professor went to the media. If he hadn't, I doubt anything like spray-painted swastikas on campus buildings happen.

This professor made an irresponsible choice and frankly he should lose his job. Not because of his initial objection (which I disagree with), but because of what he did after. This could have easily been settled on campus through the proper channels.
Thats really something you dont know.
And you're really saying that talking to the media is irresponsible and he should be fired for that? People previously claimed that he spread misinformation but I guess they were actually just mad he talked to anyone.

It doesn't need to be names. Once faces are out there, some places will run wild and find out everything else. It's probably not especially hard given the college the students attending is known.
🤔.

Okay so he didn't release names.

you realise that it was the students that recorded themselves right? So, it was his fault that the students barged into his class and essentially held him hostage? I'm guessing it was his fault too that the students screamed at him, called him racist and wanted his resignation. If there is any negative fallout to this, it falls squarely on the students

Chumly

.. lol wtf is this post, it's not hard to figure out that minority groups voluntarily holding workshops off campus is fine since it is their choice, but trying to tell white students they shouldn't come on campus is dumb as shit.
Like you said this isn't hard to figure out. The white workshops were held off campus. People have always been free to go to the others workshop. Nobody was forced to do anything. The entire event already happened without any issues.

What proper channels would those be? He talked to the local news (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzUuQ6LkE94). Is that proper enough for you? Is it wrong to even go on a show like Rubin's or Rogan's?

Channels in the school. There's a process for things like this.

Generally going on right-wing media is not a good idea, especially for someone who claims to be an ally.

Thats really something you dont know.
And you're really saying that talking to the media is irresponsible and he should be fired for that? People previously claimed that he spread misinformation but I case they were actually jjst mad he ralked to anyone.

Going on right-wing media when you are claiming to be an ally is absolutely irresponsible, yes. All I know is that if he didn't go to the media - especially people like Tucker Carlson - personal information about students would not be used by people in harmful ways.

He's a professor - one of his jobs is to ensure student safety. He has absolutely not done that through his reaction to protests.

Valhelm

contribute something
Like you said this isn't hard to figure out. The white workshops were held off campus. People have always been free to go to the others workshop. Nobody was forced to do anything. The entire event already happened without any issues.

Were white students asked to leave campus on this day or was the professor lying?

Kinyou

Generally going on right-wing media is not a good idea, especially for someone who claims to be an ally.

Going on right-wing media when you are claiming to be an ally is absolutely irresponsible, yes. All I know is that if he didn't go to the media - especially people like Tucker Carlson - personal information about students would not be used by people in harmful ways.

He's a professor - one of his jobs is to ensure student safety. He has absolutely not done that through his reaction to protests.
No, you don't know that. You assume. You don't t​hink those videos would have made the rounds regardless if he defends himself or not?

Simplet

I'm getting a little sick of all the finger-wagging the media and people in this thread are doing to college students and minority folks who chose to speak out.

All that I've read so far indicates that this professor is opposed to measures that create equity. This letter is another example of that. So, for all intents and purposes, this professor is as progressive as the majority of people in this very thread; as in, not very progressive at all, especially if THIS is what's got you all riled up. Because he isn't asking for reason, logic and proper justice. What he's asking for is order, and for his boat to not be rocked. He mentions that it was a voluntary move to have White students leave campus for a day, so clearly the student body doesn't have an issue with it. The fact that he chose to go public with it and do interviews with Joe "Tolerant Left" Rogan to make himself into some sort of a victim probably put this shit over the top. He's actively speaking out against his own students for something they agreed to do, and gaining publicity for it.

The problem with the left isn't this protest, or anything like it; the problem with the left is being antagonistic towards any ideas of equity, and being hostile towards the wants and needs of people of color in general, even though Black women are the biggest supporters for the Democratic Party. The problem with the left is being done in by pettiness... but not pettiness over things like equity and social justice... but pettiness over emails and purity tests. The problem with the left is the moderates calling themselves progressive, while not actually embracing progressivism and writing anyone that speaks out against the order as crazy people with no understanding of the real world.

By the way, as a Black man and a former college student myself, let me show you what the real world is at the moment:

• White supremacists, Russian mobsters & corporate cronies currently run the federal government, in nearly all areas.
  • The Voting Rights Act was gutted by the Supreme Court because apparently America isn't racist anymore... and as a result, voting ID laws have become a bit more commonplace as of recent.
  • We have an entire political party that wants to remove people from getting health care, remove any focus on climate change, and wants to gut every entitlement and cut education funding in the name of tax cuts.
  • Segregation is still a thing.
  • Policemen are still killing Black people in cold blood and getting away with it.
  • Immigrants are still being written off as leeches on society's tit (even though they are typically some of the hardest working Americans you can find) while the 1% makes the most money, but contributes less than anyone else.
  • Prisons still profit from removing Black & Brown men from their families and into the cycle of incarceration.
  • Even though all of us are set to be fucked by globalization & automation, you'll be fucked even harder, and with a bigger dick, if you're a person of color.
  • Women are still treated as second-class citizens whose bodies aren't even respected by some state governments, let alone their rights.
  • Right-wing groups are selling themselves out to foreign entities the world over, just so they can say whatever they want without consequence, kill niggas without reprecussion, and keep female characters in video games in revealing clothing without feeling guilty about it.
  • People of color don't get to have better, cleaner, safer neighborhoods and still afford to actually live in them.
  • We still got crack and guns in our inner cities, creating a cycle of dependency and violence that will never end, and no one is gonna do anything about it. All we get is an admission from former Reagan cabinet members as to why they put the guns & crack there in the first place.

There. Did I paint a pretty picture of today's world? I think I have a better understanding of the world than most of the finger-waggers in this thread, tbh.

And no, this won't hurt Evergreen College in the future. This college is still gonna exist, and professors will still work there, and students will still mortgage their futures for a piece of paper that will help them secure their future barista career at Starbucks so they can pay off their loans for the next 20 years. Nothing will change. I know exactly how this fucking world and all of its institutions work. These students want to change that; or at the very least, make it a little better for themselves and the people around them, so that they can find some kind of peace before they die as broke as they were they day they were born.

So, sincerely, fuck you from the bottom of my heart if you're in here chastising these students for calling this professor out for his frankly weak-ass beliefs and so-called "progressive" stances. And fuck you even more for suggesting that compromising with people that literally want to see me and people like me hanging from trees, is somehow the way that the real world should work.

You do realize that your post is pretty much the video that was posted in this thread in written form? Complete with non-sequiturs, self-victimization turned up to 11, drenching everything in self-serving emotion to preempt any reply and insulting everyone that doesn't completely agree with you?

You literally jumped from a group of students on campus being criticized for cornering their teacher and organizing an impromptu struggle session to women's rights not being respected in certain states. wtf seriously?

Besides even if we accept that the teacher was (god forbid!) not a progressive, how does that justify getting treated like that and almost forced to resign?

Dyle

What would you call it if a group of white students asked for whites only housing? If they are not a part of the university administration, then you can't call it segregation.

It depends on why exactly the group wants to have their own housing. The term "segregation" has such loaded historic context that it's not something that should be thrown around lightly. For decades segregation of schools, public places, and everyday aspects of life was used as a means to not only separate white and black people, but to denigrate black people by forcing them to live in and use inferior services. It was imposed by governing bodies run by white men upon black people in ways that further marginalized already poor and powerless people. Were a student group to ask for white only housing in a manner that took away housing options previously offered to all students or otherwise did tangible harm to others, either implicitly or explicitly, AND the school administration were to approve this, then that would be an example of segregation. However, most hypothetical cases, for instance a fucked up fraternity banning black people from their house, would be examples of racial discrimination, not segregation. It is important to carefully choose our words because if we do not then they lose much of their original meaning and essentially become euphemisms. See how the moral horror of the term Holocaust has lost some of its meaning when used as "nuclear Holocaust" or the controversy of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided coming up with the term Mechanical Apartheid.

Or consider what language is used to describe what occurred at Evergreen, a friend on Facebook referred the protests as "verbal assault," which is a nonsensical term that weakens the legal and common usage of the term, which is explicitly supposed to refer only to physical attacks of some sort. By incorrectly using commonly agreed upon or historically significant terms, we are weakening their power and making it more difficult to come to a consensus on what actually happened and how we should respond to it. The same could be said about how the protesting students perhaps incorrectly used the term racist to describe Weinstein when phrases like uncompassionate or unsympathetic to the plight of minority students would have been more accurate, although certainly not objectively true either.

I get that voluntary separation is not the same thing as segregation. But when a student union asks for the university admins to make a housing area restricted to a specific race, that's literally asking for segregation is it not?

Definitions of words aside, separating out student housing seems looks counter-productive in the long run by reinforcing the "us" and "them" mentality. This is regressive and not progressive IMO...
I don't disagree that what those students are calling for, could be segregation, but it depends on how the campus administration responds. Consider that race and gender are protected classes in the US, and that men and women's only floors in dorms are standard. How is it really any different to have housing options for women, for whom the case can be made that it is done for their safety, than to do it for black people, who may be in need of similar protection? If done properly, in a way that does not take anything away from other groups while working with the campus group who requested it to ensure that it is rolled out properly, what difference is there?

For the record I am generally opposed to non-diverse housing arrangements at colleges and elsewhere, and agree that this isn't the answer, but what do I know? As a white male given all the privilege imaginable, I cannot say for these people what discrimination they have faced or what the best solution is. I can only rationalize why they view this as a positive, progressive option.

The issue is not "swapping locations", it is creating an environment in which it is decided, seemingly without external input, in which "white allies" stay off campus for the day, implying there is something deficient in those who choose not to honor this (and given Weinstein's students who attended his on-campus classes were harangued, according to his Twitter, the voluntariness seems questionable).

Voluntarily choosing to be a part of a protest is great. Trying to turn a shared space space into a site of protest that demands participation of all who use that space to even be the kind of protest you are trying to make it, and framing the issue in a way that will make it seem socially and morally, even if not technically administratively, compulsory is pretty crummy, and Weinstein's email correctly called this out.

Edit: Also, this was blowing up before he went on Tucker Carlson, thanks to the video and Twitter.

🤔.

Okay so he didn't release names.

you realise that it was the students that recorded themselves right? So, it was his fault that the students barged into his class and essentially held him hostage? I'm guessing it was his fault too that the students screamed at him, called him racist and wanted his resignation. If there is any negative fallout to this, it falls squarely on the students

If he doesn't go on Tucker Carlson, etc, these videos wouldn't be seen by millions, some of whom taken harmful action against these students as a result. Not sure why this is hard to understand.

And no, negative fallout as a result of the professor publicizing this by going on right-wing news does not fall squarely on the students.

No, you don't know that. You assume. You don't t​hink those videos would have made the rounds regardless if he defends himself or not?

Uhh, I thought it was obvious that showing this video/incident on nationwide television would cause more people to see it.

If he doesn't go on Tucker Carlson, etc, these videos wouldn't be seen by millions, some of whom taken harmful action against these students as a result. Not sure why this is hard to understand.

And no, negative fallout as a result of the professor publicizing this by going on right-wing news does not fall squarely on the students.

This should be a good wake up call for these students that you can't actually behave this way in society. Privilege has jumped the shark.

The school didn't defend him or even allow him to defend himself when racist accusations were thrown at him. Police weren't allowed to protect him when he tried to come to campus. There may be proper channels, but they weren't working in this case.

Seriously, people ignore that PART of the issue here is the change from a master/apprentice relationship to a company/consumer relationship in college administrations nationwide, the logic of which compels colleges to cater to these kinds of protests even when they might otherwise not think it wise.

Tagg9

From his interviews, it's made clear that he exhausted all avenues in the school. Right before he started doing the media tour, he was restricted to holding his classes in a park outside the school. And shortly after that, it was suggested by campus security that he not even do that, as his safety could not be guaranteed. Hence why he's taken his entire family down to California for their own protection while he does interviews with Rubin, Rogan and the like.

The school's administration was clearly not doing its job to protect him, so he had to take matters into his own hands. I agree that appearing on Tucker Carlsson especially was a mistake, but at the time he was simply trying to attract as many eyeballs to the situation as possible in the hope that it would pressure the president into making a hard decision.

Trokil

Banned

Uhh, I thought it was obvious that showing this video/incident on nationwide television would cause more people to see it.

So he should not have told people that he was insulted or threatened, which was happening because it made the people who were insulting or threatening him look bad? Transforming the victim of insult and threats to the culprit, why does that remind me of something?

Kinyou

"We can threaten your job but don't you dare talk to anyone about it as our actions might reflect really negatively on us"

Can you show me that the video didn't blow up until he went to the media?

Did the professor have the rights to the videos or something?

You're being purposefully obtuse here. Making this a national story on right-wing media is naturally going to expose the video to millions more people, especially an audience that has a tendency to act in harmful ways. Or are you claiming otherwise?

You dont understand how these college campus stories circulate in right leaning media. Tucker Carlson's show most likely was barely a blip in how this atory spread. It was tailor made for "anti-PC" Youtube channels and they are pushing it hard. Youtube and social media are the driving force here, not Fox News and they pick up on these stories regardless of traditional media coverage.

If what you're doing is going to be a problem in case it gets publicized, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Do it some other way. Or be a cop while doing it. Otherwise, you're probably going to regret it... And if you're depending on the person you're doing it to to refrain from publicizing it, yeah, good luck with that.

Kinyou

You're being purposefully obtuse here. Making this a national story on right-wing media is naturally going to expose the video to millions more people, especially an audience that has a tendency to act in harmful ways. Or are you claiming otherwise?
I imagine the people who do stuff like this are usually on the internet following Breitbart etc. and saw the videos long before he went to any media.

The simple point is, you can't know what would have happened had he not gone to the media.

"We can threaten your job but don't you dare talk to anyone about it as our actions might reflect really negatively on us"

I mean you can't really plead ignorance when you're running around targeting audiences who eat this shit up and live to harass and issue death threats. A NYT op-ed is one thing, schlocking to the right-wing talking head circuit is just drumming up an Internet squad that is now harassing students because you publicly posted messages from a private Facebook group...like come on, he can own that.

Honestly at this point it's impossible to even discuss this because it's been hijacked by a greater media narrative and purpose.

Trokil

Banned
I imagine the people who do stuff like this are usually on the internet following Breitbart etc. and saw the videos long before he went to any media.

Also right wing media like the Washington Post wrote an article about this a week ago. So I guess they are right, this was only news for right-wing media.

I mean you can't really plead ignorance when you're running around targeting audiences who eat this shit up and live to harass and issue death threats. A NYT op-ed is one thing, schlocking to the right-wing talking head circuit is just drumming up an Internet squad that is now harassing students because you publicly posted messages from a private Facebook group...like come on, he can own that.

Honestly at this point it's impossible to even discuss this because it's been hijacked by a greater media narrative and purpose.

Basically this.

I can empathize with the professor because it does seem like the school (especially the President) dropped the ball in terms of handling this situation. But his response was completely out of hand and has jeopardized the safety of students.

Trokil

Banned

Imagine if the students never would have insulted him or threatened him or the police would have protected him. Shame on him letting all of this happen to him. Shame!

Basically this.

I can empathize with the professor because it does seem like the school (especially the President) dropped the ball in terms of handling this situation. But his response was completely out of hand and has jeopardized the safety of students.

The safety of students who had no concern for the safety of him?

Imagine if the students never would have insulted him or threatened him or the police would have protected him. Shame on him letting all of this happen to him. Shame!

The safety of students who had no concern for the safety of him?

Don't you have racial slurs to be defending somewhere instead of purposefully misrepresenting what I said?

Aytumious

Banned
Basically this.

His response was out of hand?

Dyle

Basically this.

Yup, my response to the professor is that
40Idny0.jpg

Edit: To clarify so that I don't come off as an asshole as well, my alma mater, fellow small liberal arts school operating on trimester school years, had similar controversies almost every single term, like clockwork, in the last two weeks of classes. Something would always come up that had been brewing for a while and boiled over as everyone's classes were at the most stressful, from race relations, to the school's handling of sexual assault, participation in the BDS movement, etc. It was absolutely awful and most of the awful arguments never would have happened if people had realized that it didn't make sense to make these inherently controversial statements at times when the campus was already buckling under their coursework. I am sure that this is what primarily caused this to explode, not just that Weinstein released this letter, but also when he released this letter in the school year, at a time when American political discourse is at its most partisan ever. A wiser man would have presented this letter first to colleagues before releasing it, who I guarantee, would have suggested he hold off and not release it before at least arranging a one-on-one meeting with the school's black student leaders. As a long time professor he should have known that this would have erupted and taken more cautious steps before acting. And then going on Tucker Carlson rather than a respected non-partisan news show is just the icing on the cake. Much of what the students have said and done is wrong but he brought this upon himself and should have known better.

Trokil

Banned
Don't you have racial slurs to be defending somewhere instead of purposefully misrepresenting what I said?

You mean you don't somehow put the blame on the victim, because it pretty much looked like it. But that can not be, that used to be a very shady tactic of the right not too long ago.

His response of going to right wing media like Tucker Carlson and publicizing the protest (putting students at risk) was out of hand, yes.

Yes, I guess the highest goal of this has to be to protect students who insult or threaten other people.

GYODX

It's possible to both think that the students are in the wrong AND agree that the right-wing coverage of this incident is disgraceful.

Valhelm

contribute something
Seriously, people ignore that PART of the issue here is the change from a master/apprentice relationship to a company/consumer relationship in college administrations nationwide, the logic of which compels colleges to cater to these kinds of protests even when they might otherwise not think it wise.

This is very, very important. The transition of university to a buyer's market, where faculty are now subordinated to students' tuition bills, is very very bad for education. Without faculty autonomy, students' potentially dangerous biases can't be challenged and ground-breaking research becomes impossible.

I find it ironic that a lot of the critical theory and post-modern precepts that racial justice movements are built upon probably could not emerge in today's neutered academia.

You mean you don't somehow put the blame on the victim, because it pretty much looked like it. But that can not be, that used to be a very shady tactic of the right not too long ago.

It's transparent that all you're doing is trying to "expose librul hypocrisy," so maybe stop before you dig yourself deeper.

Isn't the purpose of protests to be noticed by the public? I still find it hard to put all this blame on him

It depends on the protest. Usually I'd say the purpose would be to catch the attention of people that make decisions. Getting the public's attention and the public on your side can certainly help with that, though. But that's never the primary purpose of a protest.

Isn't the purpose of protests to be noticed by the public? I still find it hard to put all this blame on him

The primary purpose of this protest wasn't actually him, he was just part of an overall greater racial issue that had been presenting itself on campus for several weeks. The media attention has made it seem it's all about him, and sleazing around with Tucker Carlson isn't helping. When it started because of black students being taken out of their dorms two weeks earlier and held overnight by campus security because of some kind of rumor or something and other greater racial issues students felt were prevalent on campus.

Kinyou

It depends on the protest. Usually I'd say the purpose would be to catch the attention of people that make decisions. Getting the public's attention and the public on your side can certainly help with that, though. But that's never the primary purpose of a protest.
It still hardly has the expectation of privacy or even secrecy.
They were loud and were heard, and as usual there will also be some ugly people noticing it, that doesn't mean the professor is to blame for the actions of those people. That's just ridiculous to me.

Trokil

Banned
It's transparent that all you're doing is trying to "expose librul hypocrisy," so maybe stop before you dig yourself deeper.

So you still stand with, the victim is the blame, not the people threatening him. Why does this remind me of something from the 80's. I just can not get to what it was. Something about not making too much noise about an injustice because it would make the culprits look bad.

This is very, very important. The transition of university to a buyer's market, where faculty are now subordinated to students' tuition bills, is very very bad for education. Without faculty autonomy, students' potentially dangerous biases can't be challenged and ground-breaking research becomes impossible.

I find it ironic that a lot of the critical theory and post-modern precepts that racial justice movements are built upon probably could not emerge in today's neutered academia.

Well, critical theory can go jump in a lake, but otherwise, agreed.

These people went after this guy's job and livelihood, I don't blame him for using available channels to defend himself. Tucker Carlson is a sophist dick, not Goebbels. Old ass Fox News viewers are, by and large, not the people going after these students.

Trokil

Banned
It still hardly has the expectation of privacy or even secrecy.
They were loud and were heard, and as usual there will also be some ugly people noticing it, that doesn't mean the professor is to blame for the actions of those people. That's just ridiculous to me.

Maybe he made them publish it on the internet.

Or maybe it was just as usual, people recording stuff like this and now it blows up in their face, because people like to post before thinking what they are publishing or recording.

The primary purpose of this protest wasn't actually him, he was just part of an overall greater racial issue that had been presenting itself on campus for several weeks. The media attention has made it seem it's all about him, and sleazing around with Tucker Carlson isn't helping. When it started because of black students being taken out of their dorms two weeks earlier and held overnight by campus security because of some kind of rumor or something and other greater racial issues students felt were prevalent on campus.

Yep. It's amazing how readily people accept right-wing framing of a new story.

Literally the third thread on this exact story.

Why do people just randomly decide something isn't being talked about when they're surrounded by people talking about it?

It's basically a rhetorical tool to preface any old nonsense with "no one has the guts to talk about this!" to gain a sympathetic footing, even when reality is screaming in your face the exact opposite

You're reading too much into that, Socrates. I didn't randomly decide anything. The thread was moving pretty slowly at the time I posted that. Reality wasn't screaming at anyone. I just wanted to see more discussion. Not the most mature way to go about it, sure. I'll always have to live with that mistake now.

The Republicans aren't doing anything special or difficult. Their support is due to race and white supremacy, that's the path of least resistance in this country.

The point is that these unorganized scumbags managed to start taking control of the federal government. It wasn't purely because of racism. Everyone expected them to lose, even the Republicans. The Democrats were ravaged with in-fighting and they offered up a candidate that was despised, constantly ignoring what the people wanted. They lost to Donald fucking Trump. 2016 was a layup and they went out of their way to fuck it up.

The current Republican Party has taken tribalism to the extreme, and you think that the most effective response to that from "the left" is more tribalism?

Hell no. I'm a registered Independent. When it comes to statewide and national elections, you're not going to win if your party can't unite in some capacity. There's a dogmatic way of thinking going around that's preventing people from listening to the thoughts and opinions of others if they challenge their own. It's possible to criticize and fight for change without tearing down the foundation around you.

Aytumious

Banned

So it is misguided anger directed towards Professor Weinstein? Why do they consider him a racist and want him fired if he had nothing to do with the situation you described?

Top Bottom