• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is the line with Microtransactions?

Pixels

What do you guys think of physical goods that are purchased with a random chance to get the thing you want? Baseball card packs for instance? LEGO also has a line of random minifigure packs you can buy, and there are a lot of similar things for transformers, minions, marvel heroes, and other toy brands where you pay a couple bucks for a sealed pack and you get a little toy.

Not trying to defend loot boxes I'm actually just curious if there is a perceived difference when it's physical goods vs. digital.

Yeah, this always bothered me. Loot box mechanics have been around in this form forever.

Yarbskoo

If you're charging real money for a consumable in-game resource or item, you've already crossed the line.

What do you guys think of physical goods that are purchased with a random chance to get the thing you want? Baseball card packs for instance? LEGO also has a line of random minifigure packs you can buy, and there are a lot of similar things for transformers, minions, marvel heroes, and other toy brands where you pay a couple bucks for a sealed pack and you get a little toy.

Not trying to defend loot boxes I'm actually just curious if there is a perceived difference when it's physical goods vs. digital.

Yeah, those are bullshit too. I'd never buy a blind bag item unless it's from someone who's already opened it.

duckroll

If you're charging real money for a consumable in-game resource or item, you've already crossed the line.

When the entire industry has "crossed the line" and consumers are still more than happy to pay for that, it just means the line has moved. Or maybe there was never a line in the first place outside of your head.

I think pay to win/pay to accelerate are horrible and shouldn't exist. Pay to win is bad for obvious reasons. And pay to accelerate shows me your game is a grind not worth playing. Otherwise, its cool for me.

I like what 343 did with Halo 5; delivered free DLC to fans and made money for themselves. They kept arena play away from gameplay affecting REQs and microtransactions while introducing Warzone to go all out with new modes like Turbo and tons of weapon variants etc.

duckroll

I think pay to win/pay to accelerate are horrible and shouldn't exist. Pay to win is bad for obvious reasons. And pay to accelerate shows me your game is a grind not worth playing. Otherwise, its cool for me.

Or maybe, just maybe, it shows that as gaming expanded into something that is inclusive of a wide audience, different people value different things in a game, and some are willing to pay to ignore portions which other people find fun to play. What an interesting though.

Yarbskoo

When the entire industry has "crossed the line" and consumers are still more than happy to pay for that, it just means the line has moved. Or maybe there was never a line in the first place outside of your head.

Err... Yes.

There is no line. Publishers are as happy to use shady practices as the consumers are to reward them for it.

When I say we've crossed the line, I mean I am no longer comfortable with the business arrangement and refuse to take part in it.

Maybe I misunderstood the question.

I don't know - I've always heard that the level of buy-in on this stuff is low, but that it doesn't matter. You get a small percentage of whales and they're enough to cover the vast majority of players and bring in a profit, and that's talking about free to play games.

Can we really say that its the customers that allow this, broadly speaking, if its only a tiny percentage of them?

By the same logic I have no idea how you're supposed to defend the line really, since even if the vast majority of us don't buy in, these techniques still pay off.

duckroll

I don't know - I've always heard that the level of buy-in on this stuff is low, but that it doesn't matter. You get a small percentage of whales and they're enough to cover the vast majority of players and bring in a profit, and that's talking about free to play games.

Can we really say that its the customers that allow this, broadly speaking, if its only a tiny percentage of them?

By the same logic I have no idea how you're supposed to defend the line really, since even if the vast majority of us don't buy in, these techniques still pay off.

You don't have to actively buy-in to support it. Anyone who is happy to play a game that has microtransactions, enjoys it, and tells other people about it, is contributing success to the game. Anyone who buys a full priced game with microtransactions in it is supporting the game. It shows that having microtransactions is not detrimental to sales and popularity - but rather it is the opposite, not only does it not have an impact on sales and popularity, it opens up an additional revenue opportunity since some people are willing to pay for it. It is win-win and there is almost no reason not to do it if your game can support it. That's the reality.

It's not a defense, it's stating the obvious. Buying a game with microtransactions and then posting on NeoGAF going "fuck microtransactions!!!" is still supporting microtransactions. The actual people who do not buy games with microtransactions and care so much about it to want to push back are the tiniest minority.

Yarbskoo

You don't have to actively buy-in to support it. Anyone who is happy to play a game that has microtransactions, enjoys it, and tells other people about it, is contributing success to the game. Anyone who buys a full priced game with microtransactions in it is supporting the game. It shows that having microtransactions is not detrimental to sales and popularity - but rather it is the opposite, not only does it not have an impact on sales and popularity, it opens up an additional revenue opportunity since some people are willing to pay for it. It is win-win and there is almost no reason not to do it if your game can support it. That's the reality.

Am I still allowed to say I think the reality is shitty?

Because it is.

TheFatMan

I feel like in most console games the line is a respectful "don't give people an advantage with microtransactions".

And I'm ok with that, you can put as much glitter and glamour in a games microtansactions as you want, you make your money off those whales Devs.

However, the mobile space is full of bullshit micros that force you to pay to succede or not spend countless hours on things. It's the primary reason i hate mobile gaming.

Except games don't have to cost that much to make. That's the industry's fault not mine.

Not to mention Nintendo doesn't have microtransactions in ARMS or Splatoon, yet I'm getting plenty of free content.

Overwatch sold several times more than both those games combined. They can more then afford to give out free content.

If games had to be more expensive (they don't) then I'd rather see something like Titanfall 2's cosmetic DLC, instead of a loot box or premium currency system.
Eh, when developer like Capcom try to skimp on the budget with Marvel I, resulting in rough visual and lower character count, people crucify them despite the actual gameplay mechanics looking great...

Good:
  • Cosmetic items that amount to tipping the developer for a game you love
  • Meaningful content expansions for a game that already feels like a complete, full-priced offering
Bad:
  • Pay-to-win competitive advantages for sale
  • Consumable items of any kind
  • Content that felt like it was missing from the full-priced offering, like a meaningful ending
  • Any form of gambling for rare items
  • Constant in-your-face offers

This sums up my feelings perfectly.

Greddleok

I don't understand understand why people are so against them. If they were mandatory like many mobile games, I'd get it, but they're not. It's optional. It literally has no effect on you if you don't want it to.

I can count the number of games I've bought something in on one hand (with fingers left to spare). I don't feel like the ones who asked for money screwed me over. I don't feel like the times I've paid were the worst decision of my life. Hell I've bought physical goods which I regret far more.
No one blinks an eye when a coffee shop says "want to pay 20p extra for our Colombian coffee?" You say yes, or you say no. Then 10 mins later you've finished your coffee and you don't even think about it again. But when a game that you spend 100s of hours with says "want a cool lookin' character for £3?" People throw a fit and act like it's the fall of Rome.

Pokemaniac

I don't understand understand why people are so against them. If they were mandatory like many mobile games, I'd get it, but they're not. It's optional. It literally has no effect on you if you don't want it to.

I can count the number of games I've bought something in on one hand (with fingers left to spare). I don't feel like the ones who asked for money screwed me over. I don't feel like the times I've paid were the worst decision of my life. Hell I've bought physical goods which I regret far more.
No one blinks an eye when a coffee shop says "want to pay 20p extra for our Colombian coffee?" You say yes, or you say no. Then 10 mins later you've finished your coffee and you don't even think about it again. But when a game that you spend 100s of hours with says "want a cool lookin' character for £3?" People throw a fit and act like it's the fall of Rome.

This isn't how this actually works, though. The mere inclusion of microtransactions is detrimental to game design, because they incentivize ruining the game mechanics in order to push people towards buying them. The vast majority of games with microtransactions are worse for having them.

I haven't spent a penny for any of this new shit. Although the extend they exist is that line being crossed to me.

On the one hand, I almost feel a way about pubs preying on people succeptible to all that Rng garbage.

Then I remember people are adult and can make their own decisions. Just so happens peoples terrible decisions have stopped me having to pay for map packs.

I'm okay with it.

Peterc

It's simple.

You only have to pay for online servers and expansion packs.

----------

- paying for a uncompleted game like when you only have one car and you need to buy the rest is wrong, didn't sony do that?
- paying for items or coins in a blizzard game is wrong.

Yarbskoo

More like "want a chance to win a cool lookin' character for £3?"

And then you just get sprays instead.

There is no line for me. Companies can choose to monetize their products however they want. If something is worth my money, whether it's a full game, a full game with micro transactions, a piece of DLC, or whatever, I will give them my money. None of it is inherently bad.

Falk

that puzzling face
Sure! So long as you don't sell them. Discovering loot in game with the potential for rare items is a very effective mechanic that plays on the same reward feedback mechanism without the predatory revenue model.

Very true.

MMOs and loot-a-thons with randomized stats/etc. like Diablo have been doing this for decades. I don't think it's in line with the question you were asking in the OP.

Some people are incredibly delusional. Y'all expect to pay $60 for a game, when games cost more than ever to make and cost less thanks to inflation than they did 15 years ago.

Microtransactions are an amazing deal. They let people buy games for cheaper than they should cost, and allow other people to foot the bill. Those micro transaction payers are subsidising your $60 game.
Without them, you'd be paying $100+.

Microtransactions are great, as long as they're not pay-to-win or required. They allow more people to have access to more games.

Serious question, is this AAA games are so expensive to make these days argument valid? Because when I see tidbits about how publishers like Activision are worth a gazillion dollars I find it hard to believe they are much more than a means to milk as much as they can.

Pixels

In all honesty I'm probing for ideas for a game I'm working on. I have extensive experience with f2p monetization and here's a little bit of truth:

1. Blocking off content for a price makes very little. People are just not compelled by this.
2. Ads make nearly nothing. They suck.
3. Random loot boxes with extremely rare items make the most by far. We're talking many magnitudes larger.
4. Random loot boxes make people very angry and hostile.
5. Selling the contents of a random loot box brings in less than 1% of a loot box.

I hate loot boxes. I hate them more than anything. There has to be a better way.

If anyone has Q's about any monetization in f2p I'd be happy to answer.

Falk

that puzzling face
Tangential and I'm not sure how useful this is to you but gating time as an incentive to 'go faster', which essentially was the primary means of Facebook/social games, and thus grandfathered into the typical western-style mobile F2P monetization model, seems to have become less and less appealing over the years, no thanks in small part to heavy-handed hit-you-on-the-nose examples like EA's short-lived Dungeon Keeper mobile.

Even many Japanese models built around gacha and stamina are focusing less on the stamina aspect as a hard gate. Gonna be lazy and copypaste a post I made prior on my observations on that front:

This topic (stamina bars) came up in KHUX discord recently. It feels a lot like stamina are there more as a staple, a set of old shoes, whatever you want to call it, similar to crosshairs in an FPS, or 'turn based' as an idea for JRPGs, and it's what the game does with it in terms of usability to suit its target userbase that defines it.

It's more of like a precedent - when people play a new game and it's got a stamina gauge you kind of have an idea what to expect in terms of framework, i.e. limited time events, random gacha/lootcrate-based progression, etc. but by itself it's... really dated.

As an analogy, FF1-style turn based is... really outdated, but yet Bravely Default built on that to present a really engaging extension.

If you look at it another way, yes, it's 'outdated' by itself but it sets a baseline against which the extended system measures itself against. For example, KHUX has extended periods of what they call "0AP", where everything literally costs zero stamina. Sure you farm the shit out of stuff during 0AP, but you basically can have a gauge along the lines of 'well, I did 100 times of this 20AP quest which would have been 2000AP, which would have been equivalent to X number of full bars or Y number of minutes of natural regen'.

As another example, Granblue Fantasy throws AP (stamina) pots at you, with each one being 50AP, or 4h10m of natural regen. People save up and spend literally hundreds of them a day on events with loot they want, the largest perpetrator being so-called Guild Wars, especially in a close fight. In this instance, the stamina bar, while useless on its own, still serves as a gauge or yardstick as to which AP pot consumption is measured against. The game would simply fail without this AP pot system in place, because people are spending literally weeks of natural stamina regen in one sitting.

Many others, like FFRK, share currency between gacha pulls and stamina refreshes. I feel like coming into 2017, this is becoming an inferior model, as it basically punishes your userbase by forcing a decision as to whether to roll (well, literally gamble) for progression vs play more. BUT on the flipside, FFRK has, as a basic design principle, leaned towards more casual play - rewards are frontloaded to first-time completion, meaning after a certain point you can waste a lot of stamina regen and still remain reasonably cutting edge.

I think the big thing is, gacha games as a meta design philosophy have realized now that
1) trying to monetize by timewalling people into paying for more stamina doesn't work
2) stamina limits the amount people can play for extended periods of time, which then sucks for retention
the games that don't understand these two shortcomings basically lose out to games that do. Obviously there are a lot of other factors like the game design itself being engaging, progression for F2P not being insurmountable while still having a reachable carrot, 'fair' and/or transparent gacha rates that all factor into retention, but stamina really is a big factor that separates or defines what kind of userbase a gacha game develops a few months into its lifespan.

From your responses you've demonstrated some knowledge of systems like the sparks in Granblue Fantasy. I feel like there's always a balancing act between 3. and 4., where a game has to feel like it's worth the time for the larger f2p or dolphin base, since that's what drives the whales to spend. No one wants to bother being King Cobra of a deserted island, and as you're probably aware, it's a very, very competitive market so the crowds can and will churn as soon as they feel the game isn't worth their time or a little too stingy with its progression.

Unless you're Brave Exvius. No one stops the Final Fantasy train. D:

edit: If I could also comment on 2. - it highly depends on the region. Places like SEA, and to a lesser extent China, do have their subset of whales and casual spenders but on average ads (or, more hilariously enough, "game over, watch a video to continue!") tends to earn more revenue than selling consumables.

It's simply a matter of regional taste, the same way gacha has traditionally been more widely accepted in Japan than in EU/NA.

Pixels

Tangential and I'm not sure how useful this is to you but gating time as an incentive to 'go faster', which essentially was the primary means of Facebook/social games, and thus grandfathered into the typical western-style mobile F2P monetization model, seems to have become less and less appealing over the years, no thanks in small part to heavy-handed hit-you-on-the-nose examples like EA's short-lived Dungeon Keeper mobile.

Ah I forgot to mention this tactic. It's incredibly ineffective in my experience and I'm not sure how devs got it to work well. That being said, speeding up timers is decent, which is weird as they're essentially the same thing.

Falk

that puzzling face
It worked a lot more in an era past, that's for sure. Farmville being the best example of this.

I think a lot of it has to do with context and expectation, and that gate has long closed.

Pixels

It worked a lot more in an era past, that's for sure. Farmville being the best example of this.

I think a lot of it has to do with context and expectation, and that gate has long closed.

Yes and I think certain audiences accept it more.

autoduelist

Intentionally breaking a game for profit is the line. And it's long been crossed.

A good example are grind gates that intentionally distort in-game balance. Normally, a game's difficulty is balanced for fun [where fun can range from easy to challenging, based on the genre, etc]. A grind gate is a place where the difficultly is often literally impossible within the natural progression of the game. For example, you can't even damage the 'end of region' boss unless you either a) grind for 5 hours, or b) pay $5 to get gems to buy new weapons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
was actually going to post your blogpost

here it is anyway

https://medium.com/cultural-panoptic...s-a866dce1649a
Hah, I think Japanese games have basically perfected it and you're seeing Western games catch up to find models that "justify" the gacha systems we've seen.

Technically sports games also have gacha based on events, since you're grinding credits to do a draw to try to get your Level 99 Tom Brady card in Madden 17... only to have to do the exact same thing in Madden 18 (which would be the equivalent of a new "event" in a Japanese game).

Like with everything, it's about being aware that you are being manipulated and understanding your limits in that context. Modern gacha is based entirely on the pure adrenaline of pulling a slot machine combined with the "FOMO" factor of time-limited events and gachas that make the gacha much more urgent that it would be otherwise. It's why FFRK and GBF constantly add special gacha to coincide with their regular gacha.

Developers only care about the bottom line and will basically go as far as they can without breaking any (Japanese and Chinese) laws. So I do stand by my pithy statement, inasmuch as once as a game goes too far, people will abandon and jump ship and move on to the next game. lol

You know what's funny though? Two of the games I've written about are dead, and of course, Love Live has basically contracted to a Japanese server, a Global server, and a mainland China server.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hah, I think Japanese games have basically perfected it and you're seeing Western games catch up to find models that "justify" the gacha systems we've seen.

I feel it's a great read because it breaks down why people still 'put up' with it. Aside from great gameplay (which, without, they're likely to have moved on, as we both agree here, and which audiences can easily get their fix from in non-gacha frameworks what with all the great games being constantly released today) the other factors, like continuous events, community, laughing at other people's hilariously bad or good pulls (SERIOUSLY WHAT IS THIS), essentially are an extension of the Games as a Service model that MMOs pioneered.

In many ways, watching the story unfold and experiencing the side stories in standalone giants that aren't a gacha version of a popular franchise (FF, One Piece, DBZ, FE:Heroes etc) like Granblue is akin to watching a TV series and experiencing it for the first time alongside the rest of the community/fanbase, and I feel that's also one of the large draws that the more successful/longstanding games achieve.

I actually wanted to make a topic about the article with my own thoughts, but never had the time.

No microtransactions in full-price games. They are fine in free to play titles but unacceptable if you are paying $60 for the game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think of Microtransactions in general more like a "tipping jar" for games I really like. Only "problem" is that most games where I would be inclined to give the devs something extra don't have microtransactions because usually only games by big publishers feature them (or F2P games obviously). And as much as I enjoy Overwatch, I don't feel any incentive to shoot some more money to those poor starving folks at Activision.

Like, I wouldn't mind some MTA in Hitman to support IO or studios like Larian or Obsidian as long as all the stuff you can buy is just cosmetic garbage. But when a game comes from a multi-billion company like Activision it just seems pathetic to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel it's a great read because it breaks down why people still 'put up' with it. Aside from great gameplay (which, without, they're likely to have moved on, as we both agree here, and which audiences can easily get their fix from in non-gacha frameworks what with all the great games being constantly released today) the other factors, like continuous events, community, laughing at other people's hilariously bad or good pulls, essentially are an extension of the Games as a Service model that MMOs pioneered.

In many ways, watching the story unfold and experiencing the side stories in standalone giants like Granblue is akin to watching a TV series and experiencing it for the first time alongside the rest of the community/fanbase, and I feel that's also one of the large draws that the more successful/longstanding games achieve.

I actually wanted to make a topic about the article with my own thoughts, but never had the time.

Yeah, I've been meaning to write about Games as Service and my own issues with "FOMO" feeding a bit of an addiction with these games and why I'm basically afraid of starting a new game like Fate/GO or whatever the new hotness comes around.

It's funny, I can't even read the Idolmaster stories and have never felt the need to find a translation of them, but I still feel the need to collect them from each event because I don't want to miss them.

That said, I haven't felt like I HAD to pay into these games to beat events (well, except FFRK's bullshit lol), so while events are good at retention, I'm not sure if they are necessarily a driver of whales - well, outside of ranked events where people race to be on the leaderboard and do so by spending money. I can almost understand the appeal that comes with being the "top of the leaderboard" with some of these F2P games, and we had someone on GAF who did that with Love Live back in the early days.

I think of Microtransactions in general more like a "tipping jar" for games I really like. Only "problem" is that most games where I would be inclined to give the devs something extra don't have microtransactions because usually only games by big publishers feature them (or F2P games obviously). And as much as I enjoy Overwatch, I don't feel any incentive to shoot some more money to those poor starving folks at Activision.

Like, I wouldn't mind some MTA in Hitman to support IO or studios like Larian or Obsidian as long as all the stuff you can buy is just cosmetic garbage. But when a game comes from a multi-billion company like Activision it just seems pathetic to me.
You look at it the other way, where Blizzard continues to support Overwatch for "free" without making you buy new characters or new maps.

The gacha spend there is to basically allow you to trade money for time, since if there's an event-based skin you REALLY want but don't want to spend hours grinding lootboxes for, then you have the option to do so.
(I assume event skins are exclusive to that event, or perhaps they are relegated to the broader pool which makes skins near-impossible to get because of the drop rates)

Probably the only thing that's "bad" about Overwatch is that it's not full F2P and that you have to buy a 40 dollar box to get the game in the first place.

Top Bottom