• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Student Goes on Rage-Filled Tirade Against Asian Teacher

styl3s

Kid too young to be roid raging. LOL

He should be suspended, not expelled. Possibly forced to seek some counseling as well.
As someone who lives in a town where people live and die by high school football i can assure you he isn't too young to be roid raging. I've seen younger.

As for this kid make him apologize, suspend him, get him help etc. i wouldn't completely kick the kid out of school and potentially ruin a young life over one verbal incident but this is all assuming this kind of behavior hasn't happened before.

Wow, get that guy out the school, now!

In my own experience as a foreign language teacher, this behaviour, and the students supporting it are nothing unusual unfortunately. I've had a really shit year teaching spoilt rude brats English. Schools need to toughen it up a bit.

Edit: And the media "report" on this is typically shit of modern mainstream media.

I quote, "The incident, of course, was captured and posted on social media, so it's only a matter of time before both the student and school are identified."

Errr, yeah! The kids know who he is, the teacher knows who he is, and the school know who he is. This scene didn't need to be captured on phone for everyone to know who he is. I assume it was captured for security reasons.

Also, look at the big black guys laughing at the back, like they couldn't have done anything other than laugh? Poor teacher doesn't deserve this much disrespect.

Lev

tumblr_lnb60n59zO1qcxrdlo1_250.gif

Lesath

Fuck off with the idea that "oh no the kid is too young this will ruin his life forever" shit.

Seems like some of you are too damn old to remember that you made fucking life-altering decisions in high school starting your sophomore year.

Lev

Errr, yeah! The kids know who he is, the teacher knows who he is, and the school know who he is. This scene didn't need to be captured on phone for everyone to know who he is. I assume it was captured for security reasons.

If it wasn't for the social media presence on this incident, the whole thing might have been swept under the rug, as that Twitter conversation posted earlier in this thread hints.

Kid probably does get 'tough love' every night by his shitty parents which is what set him off in this event.

Not likely. This behavior is atypical for kids who receive consistent discipline at home, but is very common for children/teens whose parents defend their every action.

Getting punished by your parents doesn't teach you to call an old Asian man the n-word; that's a product of being raised in an environment where your own importance is elevated and that of others is minimized.

Tuck

I had this business idea years ago where you can visit a place and smash and break shit for a minute or two and unleash all your anger and shit. I was thinking there be a car and you can break its windows or hit it with a bat. And just go nuts. People laughed at it lol.
This is a thing. I know someone who tried it.

Before watching I was thinking I was uncomfortable with the udea of putting a high school kid on blast. Watching how he was yeah, he was a credible threat to the teachers safety and those around him.

Not likely. This behavior is atypical for kids who receive consistent discipline at home, but is very common for children/teens whose parents defend their every action.

Getting punished by your parents doesn't teach you to call an old Asian man the n-word; that's a product of being raised in an environment where your own importance is elevated and that of others is minimized.

Yeah I would echo this. My parents went to bat for me when they had to go to bat for me (like when I couldnt get into the honors program because one of my teachers said "sure you are getting in the low 90's but you arent putting any effort in"). However, I was disciplined when needed and supported when is needed. It is about upbringing and if you sit there are are like "my child is the golden calf" they are never going to understand that their actions have repercussions. And on top of that you see folks in here going "oh no this will hurt his future" and to that I say "well perhaps he should have know that already at his age? I mean hes not in elementary school or even junior high."

If it wasn't for the social media presence on this incident, the whole thing might have been swept under the rug, as that Twitter conversation posted earlier in this thread hints.

I haven't read the whole story, but if that's the case then that's crap. Showing footage to the headteacher should be enough. How and why the world let Twatter tell them what to do and think is a problem we're facing right now.

Even among kids who act out this seems pretty extreme. I've seen plenty of smart-asses give their teachers a hard time in the middle of class before but racial slurs were never thrown into the mix.

I haven't read the whole story, but if that's the case then that's crap. Showing footage to the headteacher should be enough. How and why the world let Twatter tell them what to do and think is a problem we're facing right now.

While I condemn the kid's actions, this is also true. Minor local, internal issues should remain as such.

The kid is an ass who must be taught that this sort of aggression has consequences, but those consequences go too far when he's being named and shamed online and opened up to potential harassment. He's still not a criminal, and the video shouldn't have been posted for that reason alone.

Even among kids who act out this seems pretty extreme. I've seen plenty of smart-asses give their teachers a hard time in the middle of class before but racial slurs were never thrown into the mix.

I've seen preschoolers in one of the richest cities in the nation call teachers of color slurs on more than one occasion. Depending on how entitled they and their parents are, kids can be outrageously offensive with little provocation.

Not saying this is 100% the case with this particular kid, but it's more plausible to me than "he's a victim at home and is taking it out in the classroom."

Iorv3th

This is the environment we in the education industry have cultivated for the past two decades. The teachers have almost no power or protection, the parents can harm the careers of employees regardless of policy and codes of conduct, and the students are very aware of both of these things.

This leads to a number of entitled, bratty kids (with overprotective, highly litigious, bratty parents that have zero respect for professionals in the industry) running the show in classrooms at all grade levels.

This kid was clearly in the wrong, but it doesn't matter. He won't face serious consequences because A) He's white, B) School discipline is neutered, and C) His parents almost certainly have the resources to force the best possible outcome for him.

My wifes a teacher and I work IT for a school. The parents are terrible at discipline and baby their kids so much that they get aggressive if a teacher tries to say their kid did something wrong or isn't doing their work etc.

Parents that are too busy and selfish to raise their kids themselves really are a problem.

While I condemn the kid's actions, this is also true. Minor local, internal issues should remain as such.

The kid is an ass who must be taught that this sort of aggression has consequences, but those consequences go too far when he's being named and shamed online and opened up to potential harassment. He's still not a criminal, and the video shouldn't have been posted for that reason alone.

I've seen preschoolers in one of the richest cities in the nation call teachers of color slurs on more than one occasion. Depending on how entitled they and their parents are, kids can be outrageously offensive with little provocation.

Not saying this is 100% the case with this particular kid, but it's more plausible to me than "he's a victim at home and is taking it out in the classroom."

Well, yeah. Clearly there's no excuse for what happened here. Some of the anecdotes in this thread make me feel like I got lucky with the schools I went too.

kingocfs

This is the environment we in the education industry have cultivated for the past two decades. The teachers have almost no power or protection, the parents can harm the careers of employees regardless of policy and codes of conduct, and the students are very aware of both of these things.

This leads to a number of entitled, bratty kids (with overprotective, highly litigious, bratty parents that have zero respect for professionals in the industry) running the show in classrooms at all grade levels.

This kid was clearly in the wrong, but it doesn't matter. He won't face serious consequences because A) He's white, B) School discipline is neutered, and C) His parents almost certainly have the resources to force the best possible outcome for him.

This is so on point. Parents run the show when it comes to school discipline at any level.

gnomed

Also, look at the big black guys laughing at the back, like they couldn't have done anything other than laugh? Poor teacher doesn't deserve this much disrespect.

Eh what?

The other student was more likely a friend or someone with some concern with him not the teacher.

What do "the big black guys" have anything to do with this? Should they have intervened? They're teenagers also, they were snickering in the back like rest of the class.

My wifes a teacher and I work IT for a school. The parents are terrible at discipline and baby their kids so much that they get aggressive if a teacher tries to say their kid did something wrong or isn't doing their work etc.

Parents that are too busy and selfish to raise their kids themselves really are a problem.

What we're seeing is parents who lack social kids having kids whose natural social development isn't being encouraged.

As you correctly stated, these parents are often not doing much to actually raise their kids, and often feel some guilt about this. In an attempt to make up for this guilt, they "protect" their kids with hyper-aggression whenever a problem arises. This is especially common and egregious in middle-upper/upper class districts, where parents often have high paying jobs and feel justified in looking down on professional educators.

I remember a second grader introducing himself to me by saying: "Hi, my name is Eric. My parents are lawyers." Kids and parents are very aware of the imbalanced power structure in education, and aren't afraid to flex their socioeconomic muscles at an age that you'd normally consider fun and innocent.

RS4-

Yapp, that's a racist alright.

Weak that they couldn't just fail the kid. Instead he can't walk during grad, who fucking cares about grad.

Let's not go down this road. GAF is better than this.

Let's not show the connection between Gideon's parents rhetoric with his action through screen grabbing public information posted online?

No way a racist can have racist parents?

"Let's not" conflate doxxing and harassment with showing posts made by individuals that they were comfortable sharing

I can't find it but I saw stuff on Twitter about it earlier and there was this long, racist Facebook post by the mom. Hopefully someone else can grab it.

Here is one video that discusses it https://youtu.be/4sEMTLFEBH0?t=519

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I went to public school in SoCal. NEVER saw anything like this.
Really? It wouldn't be a common occurrence but a freak out or some wannabe gangbanger would always start shit. This was also 10+ years ago.

His name tho. I'd be a messsed up kid with that.

Carnby

Let's not show the connection between Gideon's parents rhetoric with his action through screen grabbing public information posted online?

No way a racist can have racist parents?

"Let's not" conflate doxxing and harassment with showing posts made by individuals that they were comfortable sharing

Here is one video that discusses it https://youtu.be/4sEMTLFEBH0?t=519

Don't put words in my mouth. I'm talking about doxxing. And that's where this is going. Im pretty sure doxxing isn't allowed on GAF.

Raguel

Let's not go down this road. GAF is better than this.
Fuck this. Expose the racist shits. Shame them. These asshole thinks its OK to scream, yell, hurt, and kill so they deserve no fucking coddling. We've coddled these repulsive shitbags for too long and look where we ended up.

Don't put words in my mouth. I'm talking about doxxing. And that's where this is going. Im pretty sure doxxing isn't allowed on GAF.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyp...0j69i57j0l4.2636j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Do you know what doxxing is? Discussing his parent's rhetoric and how it is similar to most right wing bigots and connecting how Gideon's action isn't shocking or surprising is not doxxing.

No one in this thread has expressed malicious intentions so go ahead and stop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Eh what?

The other student was more likely a friend or someone with some concern with him not the teacher.

What do "the big black guys" have anything to do with this? Should they have intervened? They're teenagers also, they were snickering in the back like rest of the class.

It's probably not racism according to him

Carnby

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyp...0j69i57j0l4.2636j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Do you know what doxxing is? Discussing his parent's rhetoric and how it is similar to most right wing bigots and connecting how Gideon's action isn't shocking or surprising is not doxxing.

Again with those words in my mouth. I said "let's not go down this road." It's a statement meaning that we both know where a conversation is going without actually having it.

First we found the kids name, then his parents' name. Next we find out where they work. And then we start posting negative reviews of that work place. Eventually we have their home address, ect. It's doxxing and that's where this thread is heading.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Without watching the video I would just like to note that I have never heard a punchable name until I heard "Gideon Yapp"

Again with those words in my mouth. I said "let's not go down this road." It's a statement meaning that we both know where a conversation is going without actually having it.

First we found the kids name, then his parents' name. Next we find out where they work. And then we start posting negative reviews of that work place. Eventually we have their home address, ect. It's doxxing and that's where this thread is heading.

Top Bottom