• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who has the best three musketeers: Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is no contest. Reggie alone destroys the competition, and then there is the awesome Iwata from the Nintendo Directs and just the most influential game designer of all time. Its not even close. I think Sony edges out MS though, but only because of Yoshida which I really like. The old MS was better than the current imo, especially when Peter Moore was still around.

This is no contest. Reggie alone destroys the competition, and then there is the awesome Iwata from the Nintendo Directs and just the most influential game designer of all time. Its not even close. I think Sony edges out MS though, but only because of Yoshida which I really like. The old MS was better than the current imo, especially when Peter Moore was still around.

You just invalidated your opinion with those words.

Coolwhip

Banned
yR7rJXZ.png

Pretty much seals the deal, no?

Haha for sure.

Nintendo.

Sony used to have four musketeers. One of them was Phil Harrison. No surprise Mark didn't mention him this morning, given he's become a new musketeer for the opposition :)

jmls1121

Banned
Nintendo's are the most memetic and include the most influential game designer of all time. Pretty easy choice, really.

Yeah this.

You have to understand that Nintendo is a small gaming company that is somehow able to complete with corporate monoliths willing to sell their consoles at massive losses over their "quest for the living room."

The fact that Nintendo can even come close to competing is due to them having the talent of guys like Miyamoto and Iwata.

Nintendo, they work very hard to make sure people get to know their representatives.

Their people are the face of Nintendo, I would even include Bill Trinnen in the mix as he's been more and more up front in interviews and such recently. He's also a super down to earth and fun guy to listen to.

fbe3616099f1ada6148f6a598d1b4ccd-e3s-nintendo-avengers.jpg

beast786

TheExodu5

Banned
Going with Sony on this one. Tretton just seems like such a genuine guy in interviews.

If Nintendo didn't have Reggie then I'd go with Nintendo. Reggie just seems like he's reading a PR panphlet any time he speaks.

Uh, no true. Mattrick co-founded Electronic Arts Canada (as Distinctive Software) as a 17 year old.

Oh, that's true, I forgot about Mattrick. Fair point. Still, I don't see him (or Iwata really) as someone who scribbled cartoons on their notebook until they came to life like Miyamoto. But both Mattrick and Iwata were talented young techies who chose to create video games, not some guy who flipped from Pizza Hut exec" or whatever. Gotta give him credit. Funny, it's hard to think of Mattrick as a creator, but you're right.

Yeah this.

You have to understand that Nintendo is a small gaming company that is somehow able to complete with corporate monoliths willing to sell their consoles at massive losses over their "quest for the living room."

The fact that Nintendo can even come close to competing is due to them having the talent of guys like Miyamoto and Iwata.

You do realize that the Market Capitalization of Nintendo Co. Ltd. was almost double of Sony Corporation (including ALL subsidiaries: Sony Electronics, Sony Computer Entertainment, Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Sony Insurance, etc.) during Wii's heyday, right?

None of them. I know people like to put faces on faceless corporations, but I find it mildly creepy that people love to love these corporate figureheads.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
You do realize that the Market Capitalization of Nintendo Co. Ltd. was almost double of Sony Corporation (including ALL subsidiaries: Sony Electronics, Sony Computer Entertainment, Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Sony Insurance, etc.) right?
Total share price is not equal to the actual size of a company. Smaller companies can be more profitable than larger ones.

Xilium

Between Sony and Nintendo, leaning more towards Sony atm. I like Miyamoto (and Iwata to a lesser extent) for their goofiness but I like the Sony people for what they're actually doing for the Playstation brand right now.

Mysterious said:
Was thinking of adding these three, but knowing that GAF doesn't unanimously think iOS gaming is part of "video games", I decided against it.

3 dudes

I feel like I've seen the guy in the middle before but I really have no idea who those people are. Apple big wigs assume. Have they actually done anything to specifically aid the iOS gaming market? Seems like it was just something that sort of happened on it's own and Apple's more or less taking a hands off approach to it.

Nintendo is the answer, but Mark Cerny is a goddamn hero, that's for sure.

And I have immense respect for the fact that out of the entire thread, he's the only person (besides Miyamoto & Iwata) who's there because he likes video games. The rest were 19 year old business majors once upon a time with dreams of becoming CEOs of whatever company or industry would have them. 19 year old Cerny, on the other hand, created Marble Madness.

Video Games are a creative medium, and you can really see the difference between projects put forth by creators (which is part of why Nintendo has always had so much soul) and those put together exclusively by marketers.

Don't tar Yoshida with that brush, he has been with PlayStation since 1993 (the skunkworks days) and is incredibly passionate about gaming. Yosh is awesome.

Zephyrus

Banned
I would replace Tretton with Cerny.

Either way my vote goes to Sony. Don't like anyone from MS and don't like Reggie.
Miyamoto is a huge plus on nintendo though.

But really, poor MS. From creepy smiles, to people who look like they smell their own farts (cannot stand the look on Phil Spencer's face)...

Total share price is not equal to the actual size of a company. Smaller companies can be more profitable than larger ones.

Indeed. Sony's leaders have been effective recently though.

Nintendo is a small company compared to Microsoft and Sony. 5,095 employees vs 97,000 and 146,300. Of course, this is due to Nintendo having no other divisions.

That's what I was thinking, but then he was explicitly referring to money.

Carl

Nintendo loses by default because of Reggie. And I'm not even sure why MS are included here.

Shu and Andy are awesome. Jack can be really cool but still comes across as a bit of a dick during some interviews. Great at E3 though.

qq more

Nintendo. I mean whenever I see those trio together I just think "man they seem like cool people to chill out with". They have great personality too!

All of those people are easily replaceable except Miyamoto. This is like asking who's better- Babe Ruth or George Steinbrenner?

And if you know who all of those people are, you're video gaming the wrong way.

Shadders

Nintendo have the best three, I don't think that can realistically be argued, but I do love Jack Tretton, the guy is such a gent.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
That's what I was thinking, but then he was explicitly referring to money.
I think that was referring to the willingness for Microsoft and Sony to sell their systems at a loss because they have other divisions to rely on. Microsoft, for example, will always have that Windows money. Microsoft didn't make a cent in profit with the original Xbox but was able to stay in because they had additional revenue sources. Even Sony, where the games division has been the most successful, at least has other divisions to support the company. Nintendo has nothing else but games.

zeitgeist

Sony wins for sure. Nintendo gets second place because their stupid ass decisions overshadow how amazing Miyamoto is.

Microsoft's PR guy makes my skin crawl but they have had a few good E3 presenters in the past.

Top Bottom