• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here lives in Florida?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm up in Orlando for a week with my debate team. It's really incredible how different Central Florida is from the Miami area.

Central Florida/Orange County >>>>>> Miami. People are nicer. Traffic is normal. Roads are better. Not as humid. Not as hot. Quality of life is better. Crime considerably lower.

Necrovex

Central Florida/Orange County >>>>>> Miami. People are nicer. Traffic is normal. Roads are better. Not as humid. Not as hot. Quality of life is better. Crime considerably lower.

People attempted to drive into me, multiple times, when I was in Orlando for a single night.

cj_iwakura

Broward County >>> The world.

As much as I love BC, born and raised, we're becoming more like Miami lite every day. The stuff I've seen in Coral Springs... last week some guy tried to pull someone out of his SUV in the middle of traffic at a red light.

Granted, it was 9PM, but still. Coral Springs!

IrishNinja

As much as I love BC, born and raised, we're becoming more like Miami lite every day. The stuff I've seen in Coral Springs... last week some guy tried to pull someone out of his SUV in the middle of traffic at a red light.

Granted, it was 9PM, but still. Coral Springs!

that's an aggressive chinese fire drill bruh, nothing to see there

AlphaSnake

People attempted to drive into me, multiple times, when I was in Orlando for a single night.

LMAO. What part of town?

You gotta watch out for the tourist idiots who are attempting to make u-turns anywhere. And the idiots who come out of parking lots and try to cross over onto the other side of the highway.

Necrovex

LMAO. What part of town?

You gotta watch out for the tourist idiots who are attempting to make u-turns anywhere. And the idiots who come out of parking lots and try to cross over onto the other side of the highway.

If my memory serves me right, it was on University. That road gets people killed!

And hell, when I lived in downtown Tampa, I always saw a car driving the wrong way on a one way.

bengraven

My wife bought some Trader Joes from GNV and the only thing she actually bought for "me" was some lime chicken breasts. They were okay, but I'm really not into the lime fad recently and it's really old. I turn around to try some of the snacks and quick meals she got for the kid and her beautiful self and those were apparently eaten the first couple days. ha.

We really need to make another run and I'm coming with this time!

AlphaSnake

If my memory serves me right, it was on University. That road gets people killed!

And hell, when I lived in downtown Tampa, I always saw a car driving the wrong way on a one way.

LOL. University, yeah sounds about right. I live on the completely other side of OC though.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
we need to pass a law down here forcing every 3rd block to have a swimming pool
shit's brutal lately fam

I've been thankful that I work the late shift lately. The times I've had to head out to get things done in the early afternoon have been brutal.

Edit: Also, it's nice to see the FL crew actually active in this thread.

Sotha_Sil

Lived in Florida for most of my life (Stuart and Orlando), but I have spent the last two years in Baton Rouge. I'm finishing up grad school, and have a job prospect back in Orlando. I certainly wouldn't mind going back.

AlphaSnake

Despite all of the shit people talk about Florida, it's still the one place everyone vacations in.

WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

I also recently found out getting married/divorced here doesn't require a pre-nup if you're worried about those things. If you lived with separated assets, you retain what you brought in and the other party isn't eligible for half of it in the unfortunate event of a divorce.

If I lived outside of Winter Park, I'd probably shoot myself.

Winter Park is home to craft beer, artisan foods + pastries, and tons of local owned businesses which = the best.

If I lived around just chains.....I dont know what I'd do with myself. I'm not fond of many chain businesses, honestly. It gets really boring really fast.

IrishNinja

I also recently found out getting married/divorced here doesn't require a pre-nup if you're worried about those things. If you lived with separated assets, you retain what you brought in and the other party isn't eligible for half of it in the unfortunate event of a divorce.

for real? i only knew we didnt do common law marriages for stuff like this

pxleyes

Banned

Winter Park is home to craft beer, artisan foods + pastries, and tons of local owned businesses which = the best.

If I lived around just chains.....I dont know what I'd do with myself. I'm not fond of many chain businesses, honestly. It gets really boring really fast.

Hey! I live in the same area. Winter Park is a slice of heaven not many folks know about, and I'm kind of glad it is that way.

Sotha_Sil

I never went down to Winter Park as often as I should have. If I move back, I'll make amends. What are some places you would recommend?

ZeroRay

Had to drive through Hialeah Gardens for work. One address, three+ different locations on Google maps and my Garmin. -_-

I'm pretty comfortable living where I'm at. North Miami Beach, close to Aventura/South Broward, and close enough to the interesting parts of Dade if I ever want to make a trip down.

AlphaSnake

Check out the whole Dr. Phillips area on Sand Lake Rd. It's often called Restaurant Row - tons of great places to dine, drink, etc. A small sampling are chains involved, but otherwise a fantastic variety of everything and tons and tons of hidden treasures once you start exploring the complexes. French. Thai. Lebanese. A traditional Italian spot called Peperoncino (none of the BS Americana-Italian). There's a speakeasy prohibition era bar/restaurant called The Pharmacy which has absolutely rave reviews (hint: it's hidden behind a faux elevator door). And the owners also own a larger restaurant above it called The Table, and it's gotten praise from all over.

In Windermere on Conroy Rd they just completed a phase of a project at The Grove. They opened up a Dexters, BurgerFi, and a Jeremiahs Ice Cream shop, among boutiques, jewelry store, pet grooming/supply, etc - it's pretty snazzy.

AlphaSnake

for real? i only knew we didnt do common law marriages for stuff like this

Yep. Was told by a friend of mine who had been divorced. I brought up the topic of pre-nups and he told me not to bother, Florida law makes it virtually impossible for your wife to run you dry.

So essentially, as is with most mortgages, you're only asset that you'd divide in half would be the house.

Hell, if you're divorced before the 10 year mark, it's considered a short term marriage and it makes it even more difficult for the other party to sue you for almost anything. I have to say, in this day and age, I rather like that concept.

Hey! I live in the same area. Winter Park is a slice of heaven not many folks know about, and I'm kind of glad it is that way.

It's gotten SO much better over the past 2 years. This craft culture being built here is pretty incredible ! I love the new food places + coffee shops + bakeries popping up :)

I never went down to Winter Park as often as I should have. If I move back, I'll make amends. What are some places you would recommend?

Oh my goodness. There are so many places. Heres a great list:

Coffee:

Drunken Monkey (Vegan +Vegetarian friendly) -
image.jpg

Lineage Coffee in the East End Market -
10937818113_94c991d97f_z.jpg

Barnie's Coffeekitchen (my previous job of 3+ years !) -

BCKexterior2_grande.jpg

Tea + Juice:

Skyebird (Inside of East End Market!) -

Juice Lab -
juicelabjuices.jpeg

Dandelion Cafe (Vegan food also !) -
dandelion122.jpg

Craft foods:

Italian - Prato :
102012602.jpg

"Southern" - Cask & Larder (They brew their own beer near the bar !) :

Cask-and-Larder-Bar.jpg

Sushi - Seito:

Indian - Moghul:

moghul-indian-cuisine.jpg

(BEST INDIAN FOOD EVER. THEIR CURRY IS GOD-TIER)

Vegan - Etho's Vegan Kitchen:

ethos-vegan-kitchen.jpg

Cafe foods + vegetarian dishes (really awesome sandwiches) - Stardust Cafe:

indie-old-school-feel.jpg

(Stardust also does a weekly farmers market every monday !)

Desserts :

P is for Pie -
bartlettimage-0032.jpg

Se7en Bites -
bartlettimage-0199.jpg

Blue Bird Bakeshop -
image.jpg

Fatto In Casa -

(Fatto is located in the East End Market !)

Places worth seeing:

East End Market -
image.jpg

(Tons of local little shops - plants, beer, fish, cheese, bake ware, fresh bread & etc)

Leu Gardens -
648206ac4244f2d216ff3d517459c702.jpg

Park Avenue -
parkave2_gslide.jpg

(Tons of local businesses also - lots of local eatery, jewelry shops, tea shops, olive oil shop, mens fashion, vintage clothing, BurgerFi (rad burgers + shakes !) and lots of other stuff !)

(They do a farmers market every weekend !) -
18912664.jpg

This is just to name a few of my favorite places. If you want more specific recommendations, just let me know what you like and I can show you some really cool spots to see in the area :)

Check out the whole Dr. Phillips area on Sand Lake Rd. It's often called Restaurant Row - tons of great places to dine, drink, etc. A small sampling are chains involved, but otherwise a fantastic variety of everything and tons and tons of hidden treasures once you start exploring the complexes. French. Thai. Lebanese. A traditional Italian spot called Peperoncino (none of the BS Americana-Italian). There's a speakeasy prohibition era bar/restaurant called The Pharmacy which has absolutely rave reviews (hint: it's hidden behind a faux elevator door). And the owners also own a larger restaurant above it called The Table, and it's gotten praise from all over.

In Windermere on Conroy Rd they just completed a phase of a project at The Grove. They opened up a Dexters, BurgerFi, and a Jeremiahs Ice Cream shop, among boutiques, jewelry store, pet grooming/supply, etc - it's pretty snazzy.

I've been around that area. They're getting way more into craft stuff too which is rad. I love Seito, BurgerFi, and Jeremiahs is the best cheap ice cream/gelato ever.

600x391

Makes my mouth water just looking at it. I love getting P-Nutty with chocolate ice cream + sprinkles :)

I've heard about The Pharmacy ! I've never been though :( I want to go asap now that I remember it. I forgot about it because I heard about it a long time ago. I'll check it out when I get paid :O

pxleyes

Banned
I was going to write a list, but damn if that doesn't take care of quite a few in the Winter Park and surrounding areas.

Let's add a bunch of other random ones to the list, even if they take an extra 10 min to drive to.

Pho 88
Paco's
El Pueblo
The Wine Room
Redlight Red Light
Shake Shack
The 'original' Tijuana Flats
Tibby's New Orleans Cafe

and I'm drawing a blank.

AlphaSnake

I was going to write a list, but damn if that doesn't take care of quite a few in the Winter Park and surrounding areas.

Let's add a bunch of other random ones to the list, even if they take an extra 10 min to drive to.

Pho 88
Paco's
El Pueblo
The Wine Room
Redlight Red Light
Shake Shack
The 'original' Tijuana Flats
Tibby's New Orleans Cafe

and I'm drawing a blank.

I still can't believe we got a Shake Shack. It's one of the few things I missed about NY. The company is spreading out like a wildfire, though. But of all places Winter Park, that's awesome.

Sotha_Sil

snip

This is just to name a few of my favorite places. If you want more specific recommendations, just let me know what you like and I can show you some really cool spots to see in the area :)

Wow, thank you for taking the time to do that. Winter Park is a little out of the way from where I'd potentially be living, but a 15-20 minute drive looks like it would be totally worth it.

It's been a long time, but I remember there being some interesting things in the Milk District as well, which is just south of Winter Park if I'm remembering things correctly.

Also, if you're ever in the Oviedo area, I have to recommend C&W BBQ. It's a little shack on the side of the road with a few tables outside to eat at. You'd easily pass it by if you didn't know to look for it. It's run by just one older woman, and she makes some pretty good stuff. It's been over 2 years since I was there, I sure hope it's still around.

l.jpg

pxleyes

Banned
I've never been to Shake Shack, how is it? :O

I don't really know much about it.

I went opening week with my wife. Got standard Shack Burgers, add pickles, with fries and shakes (she got black & white and I got chocolate).

First the burgers. The meat is phenomenal. They don't overcook the patty, and they make it with some high quality cuts. The cheese is great, and the veggies (lettuce, tomato, and pickle) were all good. The pickles in particular are really good. The shack sauce was good as well, but I felt it was a little on the bland side. Maybe I can ask for extra next time, but I wanted more punch to my burger. I expected something along the lines of the Big Mac sauce, but it was a sweeter and less tangy. The bun was really pillowy, but BurgerFi has them beat with their griddled and buttered bun. Overall it was a really good burger, but a bit pricey. Someone else will have to chime in if they have other toppings available.

The fries were your standard crinkle cut fries. Easily in my top 3 of fry styles, and they were crispy like I like them. Nothing to complain about here.

The shakes were the real treat. My chocolate shake was insanely rich and really thick. My wife's was just as rich, but I think I could have gotten more of her's down. Next time, we are splitting one, and at $5 a shake it is better that way.

tl;dr I'll be back. If you bring your SO, split a shake and fries or some will go to waste.

Necrovex

Come down to Brandon. All we have are *delightful* chains. /cries

Bajan32

Gotta say I really love south florida.. the beach man the beach.. so much better than the crap they called the beach on the west coast. but Id def love it a lot better if I could land a decent job :/

AlphaSnake

I've never been to Shake Shack, how is it? :O

I don't really know much about it.

It's good. Not a whole lot different than BurgerFi...perhaps even has a smaller selection than BFi.

It's a toss up between both, though. If you like BurgerFi check out Shake Shack and make your decision. Us NYers went ape shit when they decided to open up more in the area.

Shake sauce is pretty fantastic, though. And their beef patties are amazing.

I went to Shake Shack yesterday ! Didn't get a burger though because it was more pricey than what I thought.

I got the Dogmeister + some fries. So tasty ! Horse Detective said their burger he got was fantastic although he inhaled it so fast, I was surprised he could even taste it lol

I want to go back and try their coffee shake. It sounds amazing.

The building was impressive. Its right out by a lake so you can sit outside and enjoy your food while seeing the sunset:

Even had a fire pit + ping pong table in the back too. Its right next to Trader Joe's so I hope I can go by again and try a double cheeseburger next time :)

cj_iwakura

I was not at all impressed by BurgerFi, way too expensive for what felt like a tiny burger compared to some I've seen.

There's a new 'gaming' center on Sample Road in Pompano Beach, but there's almost no info on what kind of place it is. May check it out later, seems like a LAN-ish center.

I was not at all impressed by BurgerFi, way too expensive for what felt like a tiny burger compared to some I've seen.

There's a new 'gaming' center on Sample Road in Pompano Beach, but there's almost no info on what kind of place it is. May check it out later, seems like a LAN-ish center.

They're veggie burger is awesome but it is a bit pricey. I really dig their fries though.

Gaming center? Aren't those the "pay per hour" kinda deals? Im not fond of the idea when I can game at home. Unless by gaming center, they mean its just a retail shop with occasional tournaments.

GrizzNKev

Banned
AHHHHHHHH! That's Aaron ! One of my coworkers. Its crazy seeing you guys being around town. I'd love to meet up with you guys and chill sometime !

Did you get anything or just stop by? :)

Just went for a walk through the area to check it out. I was hanging out at UCF for the week and decided to head over there with my girlfriend due to your recommendations. It's a really nice place. Unfortunately I'm going back south this afternoon and then flying to Seattle on Monday.

Just went for a walk through the area to check it out. I was hanging out at UCF for the week and decided to head over there with my girlfriend due to your recommendations. It's a really nice place. Unfortunately I'm going back south this afternoon and then flying to Seattle on Monday.

Nice! I'm glad you got to take a look around at least. That was my home for a while. :)

Do you live in Seattle or are you just visiting?

Gotta say I really love south florida.. the beach man the beach.. so much better than the crap they called the beach on the west coast. but Id def love it a lot better if I could land a decent job :/

Whoa soflo. I'm pretty sure we're friends on PSN and I'm in Soflo

Necrovex

You should check out USF. Our area is pretty nice and people won't drive into you like at UCF. ;-)

In my experience on both coasts, you have to find the right beaches.

cj_iwakura

There has to be some theater in SoFla with a ~10:30PM showing of Sin City 2 in non-3D. My gf works till then, and we both loathe 3D.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Nice! I'm glad you got to take a look around at least. That was my home for a while. :)

Do you live in Seattle or are you just visiting?

I go to school near Seattle, but I'm from South Florida.

You should check out USF. Our area is pretty nice and people won't drive into you like at UCF. ;-)

On of my close friends graduated from USF in the spring, and I've toured it before. I went to UF for a year before moving too.

Sotha_Sil

I've only been in that area once, I somehow got roped into judging a poetry slam at some hipster smoothie bar near campus. I got booed all night long. It was actually a pretty fun night.

Log4Girlz

What I got on my first trip:

10425027_10203317543673297_7715299462567269203_n.jpg

The pricing was fantastic. All of that for $16. The products they have are great and incredibly diverse and it makes me excited to cook again since I've been on a tight budget lately. I am in love.

Are you my sister?

Also, Grizz stop stalking people.

Also Also, Pau welcome back to Miami again lol.

Are you my sister?

Also, Grizz stop stalking people.

Also Also, Pau welcome back to Miami again lol.

I mean....I could be your sister.

hehehe

I go to school near Seattle, but I'm from South Florida.

On of my close friends graduated from USF in the spring, and I've toured it before. I went to UF for a year before moving too.

Rad ! I'm trying to move out to Portland in a few weeks. We should meet up and chill sometime when I'm up there. I want to visit Seattle so badly.

My first and most important stops are Chihuly Garden & Glass and the La Marzocco distribution headquarters ! @___@

I've been obsessed with those places & seeing them both would give me a heart attack. Such a dream.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I mean....I could be your sister.

hehehe

Rad ! I'm trying to move out to Portland in a few weeks. We should meet up and chill sometime when I'm up there. I want to visit Seattle so badly.

My first and most important stops are Chihuly Garden & Glass and the La Marzocco distribution headquarters ! @___@

I've been obsessed with those places & seeing them both would give me a heart attack. Such a dream.

I've been reading the thread you made about moving. You seem like a really awesome person who's in need of some generosity. Once you make it out there, PM me and we can discuss getting you to Seattle for a visit. Since it looks like you don't have a car, I would gladly drive to Portland to pick you up and house you for a weekend or something. I'm very used to long (3+ hour) drives since I've visited Orlando from South Florida countless times for Disney World and stuff.

If you have any worries about my credibility, just ask Log4Girlz, we've had baller GAF parties.

Top Bottom