• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's more likely to die in Avengers 4? Iron Man or Cap?

kevin1025

Banned
It'll probably be both. Iron Man sacrifices himself for Cap and that'll resolve their whole beef, and Cap will die later on to protect the group.

You're on GAF, the place where some people can easily memorize every single review score their favorite game got but have trouble with everything else.

Investing 4-6 hours a year to watch a couple of movies is way too much time for some people here.

2-3 movies a year was too hard to keep track of?
Or some people don't like watching multiple formulaic movies from the same universe every year?

These are kids movies. If they didn't kill either (well, ANYONE) in Civil War, they won't do it in Avengers.

Well, I can see a scenario where Thanos kills one or more, but in the second movie they bring them back via magic/time travel/willpower etc.

At the end, they will "retire" and for the next MCU phase with fresh people they will only do cameos or conveniently "are not available" to rescue the world.
Or fall through some dimension hole instead of actually dying.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I hope they go through IW without meeting each other.

In Avengers 4, they meet at the finale finally and both go down together in the final fight.

"til the end of the line"

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Iron Man will upload his mind and become the new Jarvis

Cap dies but in the most glorious of ways that will be remembered always.

Vision. Dead

Rhody. Dead

Nick Fury. Dead

Phil Coulson. Dead (again)

Drax. Dead

Steve can't die because we're going to get this moment on the big screen

main-qimg-89d997a0bf5153636eaedd236fcad802-c

I hate that Whedon had Vision lift the hammer. And I can imagine he gave himself the biggest pat on the back for it because people wanted to see Cap do it. Ugh.

LionPride

Banned
Hope everyone dies?

Or Hickmans incursion run or whatever it was called that led to secret wars 2? Cause that's what I wanna see.
I just want a post credits scene of Reed being a dick

Not everyone dying. Although like 3 characters are probably gonna die being Tony, Scarlet Witch, and Cap

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It'll be Cap. Evans extended his contract to include Avengers 4 but that's it. Marvel views RDJ as the foundation of the MCU, so he's not going anywhere. And Sebastian Stan has six movies left in his contract, so it's a given he's taking over the shield.

Certinty

Pretty sure Cap will die. Probably while wielding Thor's hammer killing Thanos or saving some other Avengers.

I think they'll just semi-retire Iron Man. Have him around for Phase 4 but not as a main or anything. Would be suicide to kill him completely given he is the face of the MCU.

Mrbob

It'll be Cap. Evans extended his contract to include Avengers 4 but that's it. Marvel views RDJ as the foundation of the MCU, so he's not going anywhere. And Sebastian Stan has six movies left in his contract, so it's a given he's taking over the shield.

Didn't Stan already tease himself in a picture with the shield? Also I think Cap gave up the shield after Civil War so...we'll see if this is permanent though.

jon bones

Nah, watching Captain America with Mjolnir in one hand and his shield in the another will still be hype.

what i hope they do is show the relationship between Vision & Wanda grow a bit in IW. show him becoming more 'human' - with everything that entails.

then he attempts to lift the hammer again in the movie, but can't.

when Cap lifts it in the finale, it'll be super hype

I'd say both. Or they will just kill Cap and keep Iron Man for CW2 :p

Wasn't the reason they killed
Quicksilver
to stop people saying "Marvel doesn't kill any of their heroes!" and shock value? And yet here everyone seems to forget him...

Alienous

what i hope they do is show the relationship between Vision & Wanda grow a bit in IW. show him becoming more 'human' - with everything that entails.

then he attempts to lift the hammer again in the movie, but can't.

when Cap lifts it in the finale, it'll be super hype

Ah yes, that's how they should do it.

Maybe tie in him feeling guilty about what happened to Rhodey, wondering if it was fully an accident, or if his heart was in the other team.

Have him swagger up to Mjolnir, try to lift it, and fail.

Then give him one final chance to glance at Scarlet Witch before Thanos grabs him by the head, crushes it, and opens his palm to show the final infinity gem.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
These are kids movies. If they didn't kill either (well, ANYONE) in Civil War, they won't do it in Avengers.

Well, I can see a scenario where Thanos kills one or more, but in the second movie they bring them back via magic/time travel/willpower etc.

At the end, they will "retire" and for the next MCU phase with fresh people they will only do cameos or conveniently "are not available" to rescue the world.
Or fall through some dimension hole instead of actually dying.

Star Wars movies are for kids too.

Loxley

Definitely a safer-bet to kill off Cap. He's not nearly as marketable as Iron Man has been based on what I've seen (not talking strictly about the films here). Plus, Evans has just been more vocal about wanting to move on to other things lately.

sleepykyo

Do superheroes actually die in these movies? Honest question; stopped watching the MCU flicks a few years back, when I couldn't keep up with the massive release schedule.

4 did. Well he came back on a tv series.

Edit:

Cap. They have set up two possible successors and Chris Evans has wanted to direct or something. Meanwhile RDJ is the secret sauce of the MCU, added to both Civil War and Homecoming.

jon bones

Ah yes, that's how they should do it.

Maybe tie in him feeling guilty about what happened to Rhodey, wondering if it was fully an accident, or if his heart was in the other team.

Have him swagger up to Mjolnir, try to lift it, and fail.

Then give him one final chance to glance at Scarlet Witch before Thanos grabs him by the head, crushes it, and opens his palm to show the final infinity gem.

it would be a great way to retroactively justify the scene in Age of Ultron

Malmorian

I think both will die. RDJ costs too much, and i'm sure neither of them want to do these movies forever. Riri and Falcon can take up the mantels if nothing else, or Rhody and Winter Soldier.

Malmorian

I think Rhodey is dead too

I can see that, yeah. OR that he ends up needing the suit moreso as an exoskeleton to help him walk, since IM is apparently cured due to Extremis and doesn't need to suit to live any longer. BTW, was it ever mentioned why they didn't use Extremis to heal Rhodey?

Lmo911

Cap.

We already have Bucky and Falcon to carry on the mantle. Cap can pick up the hammer, giving everyone the moment we all want, beat the hell out of Thanos with it and then sacrifice himself to ensure the final blow in some way that takes him out of the picture. He doesn't even have to die, they can just freeze him in time/alternate dimension/comic book stuff until Evans wants to come back for a cameo or something.

Iron Man.

RDJ costs money, a whole bunch of money. Having him drive off into the sunset after Iron Man 3 would have been the best option. The problem is that he makes money, a whole bunch of money! So it's hard to let him go. I think Marvel isn't ready to totally sever the ties yet, but Him and Cap taking the hit for the team is the best option to open up more opportunities for the roster.

Really I can see Cap, Iron Man, and Vision not making it out of this alive. They need to thin the herd a bit.

Sulik2

Cap. Chris Evans sounds pretty done with role. Stark will survive. If the next phase falters you can RDJ a truck of cash for Ironman 4. Thor I could see dying. Move all the space stuff to guardians and add a Nova movie. Plus passing on caps shield to Bucky would make a great storyline. I could widow dying too.

Jigorath

Banned
The only way Iron Man is going to die is if Robert Downey Jr has finally decided he's made enough money. He's expensive, but Marvel will keep signing his checks as long as he wants considering his popularity.

Cap's probably gonna bite it soon.

They coulda been. But they're not. Nobody making movies out of superheroes wants to make those movies for kids & families. They don't give a fuck about any of that.

At least we got Incredibles II on the way.

That is going to make so much money.

Kasumin

It'll probably be both. Iron Man sacrifices himself for Cap and that'll resolve their whole beef, and Cap will die later on to protect the group.

While the shipper in me would love that, I doubt it. Considering Evans' contract is up after Avengers 4 (I believe?) and he's mentioned being tired of the role for awhile, it's going to be Cap. I see Iron Man retiring or somehow being incapacitated, but not outright killed off.

Gonna be sad when Cap dies, though. I really liked this version of him...

Jackpot

Banned
Iron Man easily.

RDJ's salary and age. Iron Man is a spent force and the Avengers already have all the gadgets and bases they need. Cap is useful as a figurehead role for narrative and story-telling purposes whilst Iron Man tends to be a 3rd party that does his own thing.

jon bones

Everyone
Then Thanos reboots the universe and says "try again"

Female Thor
Female iron man
Bucky captain
Etc

That...would be awesome

i keep seeing this theory pop up and i really don't get it

rebooting the universe to introduce recasted avengers is WAY clunkier than naturally progressing to new heroes

bucky cap will happen, but they are going to push captain marvel, black panther, dr strange, spidey & the wasp - not thor/hulk/cap/iron man

LionPride

Banned
New crop after Infinity War is probably Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Wasp, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Bucky Cap, Falcon, Strange

Top Bottom